PDA

View Full Version : Denver With Camby

GSW fan
12-24-2008, 07:30 PM
If money wasnt an issue and Denver kept Camby how far do you think they would go?

Billups
J.R. Smith
Melo
Nene
Camby

with kmart off the bench

TheFuture6
12-24-2008, 07:32 PM
The Nuggets are better off without Camby...

Lakers4ItAll
12-24-2008, 07:35 PM
All these what if thread's are worthless

-Juice-
12-24-2008, 07:40 PM
The Nuggets are better off without Camby...

Yup! He would make the team worse. He in injury prone, and not a good fit for the team. Nene is doing very well this year, and Camby would only bring them down. I am shocked they didn't get more for him. Yes they were trying to stay below the Luxury Tax, but a 2nd round pick, c'mon!

GSW fan
12-24-2008, 07:42 PM
All these what if thread's are worthless

You are worthless

gauth25
12-24-2008, 07:52 PM
martin would probably be starting over nene

Lakers4ItAll
12-24-2008, 07:57 PM
Coming from a GSW fan that really hurts.... :rolleyes:

You are worthless

JJ81
12-24-2008, 08:59 PM
I should be Nene off the bench not K-mart (as much as I hate him)/

Iodine
12-24-2008, 09:40 PM
ZOMG WHAT IF KOBE GOT TRADED TO THE CELTIKZ FOR TONY ALLEN AND A 2nd ROUNDER

these threads are pointless

Chronz
12-24-2008, 10:58 PM
Dont listen to these haters, its a very valid question. The Nuggets are a great defensive team but one thing they are missing is a dominant defensive rebounder. Add Camby and he definitely patches that up some, he doesnt make any team worse.

People often correlate team success with who they added or lost from the season before and connect the dots how they see fit. Not having Camby around isnt what made them a better defensive team, how anyone could say they wouldnt want Camby even off the bench is insane. You dont think the Nuggets want the depth up front?

DenButsu
12-25-2008, 12:21 AM
Dont listen to these haters, its a very valid question. The Nuggets are a great defensive team but one thing they are missing is a dominant defensive rebounder. Add Camby and he definitely patches that up some, he doesnt make any team worse.

People often correlate team success with who they added or lost from the season before and connect the dots how they see fit. Not having Camby around isnt what made them a better defensive team, how anyone could say they wouldnt want Camby even off the bench is insane. You dont think the Nuggets want the depth up front?

In theory I pretty much agree with you, but in fact there are two things which really necessitated his departure:

1) Finances. The Nuggets were going to buckle under the weight of their payroll if they didn't shed salary. No Camby trade, no J.R. Smith re-signing, and probably no Billups trade since it would have necessitated getting all of AI's $21 million off the books in the following offseason. So while it's easy in theory to say that we would be better if we added him to this current team, this current team wouldn't exist if we hadn't traded him, because that trade was a precursor to everything else that happened.

2) But say that all of that wasn't the case, that we could have kept this team like it is now, and then magically add Camby to the mix. People who haven't paid very close attention to the Nuggets might not understand what I mean by this, but I believe it's true: The primary obstacle to Denver making the significant improvement in defense that it has this season was Marcus Camby. When it comes to laziness, apathy, lack of intensity and lack of skill on defense, Melo and AI got all the blame. But Marcus, in fact, shared many of those qualities (with the obvious exception of his shot blocking and rebounding, yes, but I'm speaking specifically of actually pro-actively playing defense: staying in front of your man, rotating properly, taking charges, fighting through screens, etc.). In spite of actually being a fairly weak defender, Camby's ability to block and alter shots allowed Denver, in short, to cheat on defense. They could get away with slacking off on that end because he would clean up enough messes (including messes of his own creation - by design, he allows opponents to penetrate and put up shots so he can go for late swats and blocks, rather than trying to deny penetration, challenge shots, or frustrate his opponents). So really, the event that sparked the improvement in the Nuggets defense this season was the Camby trade. It was a big "Oh, s**t!" moment for the team and coaching staff: "Damn, now we're actually going to have to play some defense!" And lo and behold, they did.

Would Camby help the Nuggets now? I think so, but I think it could only be if he was coming off the bench and there was an explicit understanding that he was there to help and not to be the man. And that's a role he always had a problem with while he was on the team. He earned the nickname "Mr. Touches", after all, by famously whining about getting the ball more, getting more shots. Off the court he's a great guy - lots of great charity work in Denver and whatnot. But he fought his teammates for rebounds, he undermined the offense by insisting plays get run through him (when, aside from only Anthony Carter, he was the weakest offensive link in the starting lineup), and he slacked off A LOT - in his half-assed defensive style, in his barely showing up on the 2nd night of back-to-backs, and in bringing only occasional intensity, but phoning it in more often.

I'm glad to see for his sake that he's doing so well with the Clippers (if he'd stepped up for Denver like he is for them now, he may have still had a job there). I have no ill wishes for him, and I appreciate the much good that he did for the Nuggets. But TF6 has it right: At the end of the day, the Nuggets are better off without him, all things considered.

That said, we sure as hell do need an additional big who can rebound coming off the bench. That point about this question is absolutely true.

Chronz
12-25-2008, 01:50 AM
I think I just creamed myself...

nah jk that was all well put and believe me I know where your coming from having read your blogs leading up to the aftermath of the trade and having watched him all season long, he can make a bad defensive team look decent, we started defending alot better once he got going and this was with Kaman going down. Can he make a decent defensive team dominant? Thats something Im sure Denver fans question and perhaps his ego held him back but you cant question his worth, if he wouldnt accept a lesser role then thats another thing but assuming the Nuggets were to use their TE to regain Camby in hopes of a championship run, do you think the Nuggets would be better for it? I suppose thats an entirely different question than asking if he never left...

By the way Birdman has been a hell of a pickup, I just cant imagine how a bigman rotation of Camby, Nene, Birdman, Kmart isnt one of the best/versatile defensively. Maybe the exile could be a good thing for him, but as a Clippers fan Id rather not give him away unless we get a sick offer.