PDA

View Full Version : Manny

tigernag
12-24-2008, 05:59 PM
Why dont the Tigers try for ManRam??? He wouoldnt cost much as his worth has dropped in this tight economy. Also the Tigers need a good bat. What a lineup that would be!!!

davedav
12-24-2008, 06:07 PM
Bullpen yes, ego-slugger/Manny no.

mark1125
12-25-2008, 12:23 AM
An aging, RH outfielder who can't play defense. We got that covered.

Spend the cash on pitching.

Bondomania
12-25-2008, 01:22 AM
i dunno though.. ManRam is clutch and if we are going to roll with a weak defensive LF, i would rather have a 30 hr 100 rbi type guy, not to mention, what a murderers row that would be.. we have seen what our offense can look like with a healthy Sheffield, imagine Manny. If we could move either Guillen or Shef, then it would only increase our payroll by 10 mill. I dunno, Manny is the type of guy that can carry a team for stretches, and with us having young pitching on the way to the majors by mid-season or 2010, i don't see the purpose of signing a guy like Sheets.. with Manny we may never need a closer (kidding).. but we seriously have relief prospects on the way, so why over pay for one? There was a rumor floating around that he was spotted at the detroit airport.. i am all for the move if we can move a contract or two to clear some space, then i am all for it

babygranderson
12-25-2008, 10:57 AM
I hate this idea. We already had a problem with complacent attitudes in the clubhouse last year. Bringing this jerk on board is like throwing gas on a fire. He'd be a darling - model citizen like the first few weeks in LA, and then he'd decide he's bored...

People will attack me for this, but IF we were to pick up a slugging OF, I really, really, really, like DUNN. I've wanted him on our team for a long time. I haven't seen his D - which is maligned by the media, but he can't be any worse than Guillen in LF, and certainly would be as good/better than Manny's D.

Batting average is overrated. On base % is a better stat. Dunn's OB % is rock solid every year. So is his slugging %. He strikes out a ton, but the sacrifice for not putting balls in play is that he must work pitchers a ton to get all those walks. He's huge, and I like the idea of having that one larger than life "old school" slugger. He scores 100+ runs a year and is "fast" for his size. I hear his D stinks, but there for a while Cincy played him in CF... (and he can play first if Miggy ever got hurt).

Here's the key: He's LEFT HANDED. We need this - even if our line up clicks like it was supposed to last year. If this were our line up today (or pretty close), opposing mgr's can bring in favorable righty/righty - lefty/lefty matchups at will. On an individual game basis, this isn't a huge deal, but over a 3 game series, it would be nice to burn an extra reliever or two in game one of the series, only to weaken the opposing pen in subsequent games. Imagine dumping Sheff, Carlos the DH, and Dunn as LF....I'd put Dunn behind Miggy and before Carlos.

grandy - L
Polly- R
Maggs - R
Miggy - R
Sheff - R
Carlos - S
Laird/Treanor - R
Inge - R
Everret - R

Wow, this turned out to be a rant....this is what happens when one is trying to squeeze in a post before the santa festivities take over the household.

nygiants242
12-25-2008, 11:02 AM
Pretty much 50% of the MLB is rumored to be getting Manny

drewstantontime
12-25-2008, 08:53 PM
we dont need him, our offense is fine we need pitching and youth

Tragedy
12-26-2008, 10:12 AM
we dont need him, our offense is fine we need pitching and youth
Exactly. Offense is going to be productive. The Tigers need to save their money in this tough economic time for pitching, when the right guy comes along.

mark1125
12-26-2008, 10:25 AM
Exactly. Offense is going to be productive. The Tigers need to save their money in this tough economic time for pitching, when the right guy comes along.

Apparently DD did not get my note about picking up moderatley priced relivers Juan Cruz and Saito.

JackB
12-26-2008, 12:04 PM
Sure we get manny so we score 10 runs and the pitching staff gives up 11. Remember. Good pitching stops good hitting.

drewstantontime
12-26-2008, 02:20 PM
the only way i would want mayy is if the tigers traded maggs for pitching and we would need another bat, but the tigers are not gonna do that so we dont need manny

nygiants242
12-26-2008, 02:21 PM
the only way i would want mayy is if the tigers traded maggs for pitching and we would need another bat, but the tigers are not gonna do that so we dont need manny

Yeah, you are right.

Epic89
12-26-2008, 07:40 PM
WE DON'T NEED MANNY, We need Derek Lowe and Brian Fuentes (and Juan Cruz, and Joe Beimel, and Will Ohman, and probably three other relievers).

JackB
12-27-2008, 10:48 AM
WE DON'T NEED MANNY, We need Derek Lowe and Brian Fuentes (and Juan Cruz, and Joe Beimel, and Will Ohman, and probably three other relievers).

I agree with this 100%.

stanpapi
01-05-2009, 12:27 PM
Last thing we need is another weak-gloved outfielder past his best-before date. And look, this guy is a head-case lollygagger who likes to watch his HRs too damn much. I hate this idea. It's just more of the same of what didn't work last year. Stop it. Just cut the whole damn thing out.

theoldgoalie
01-07-2009, 06:40 PM
WHY?! WHY would we want to do that to this team. Sorry man, maybe you were just trying to throw that out there to see if it would stick, but it would not stick, it would stink! I'm with BabyGrands on this one. We had a chance to go out and get Dunn and we didn't. Hell we had a chance to get Geoff Jenkins and we wound up Jock (strap) Jones! That guy wasn't solid, but he held his own in Philly last year and Dunn would have been a great addition in the back half of 08. If we were going to try and get a left fielder at this point, I would love to try and pull of a deal that would bring Carl Crawford to town. He and Granderson covering the left/center gap and tearing up the bases would be just what we need to complete the order. It would be tough to pull it off, but I would much rather see us give up something for a deal like that than to see us "throw gas on the fire" and pick up Manny. But hey, Dunn is a free agent, he is just not the type of player we need.

Personally. Left field is not a priority. Getting Bull pen help is and with Lyon, Biemel and Smoltz still available.....Well, you tell me. Would those guys help our bullpen or what?!