PDA

View Full Version : Steelers placed T Marvel Smith on IR

TheRedMarauder
12-24-2008, 04:42 PM
Steelers placed T Marvel Smith (back) on injured reserve, ending his season.

Smith's back problems have become chronic and he could need more surgery. He hasn't played in ten weeks and is entering free agency. This injury could wind up killing his market and keeping Smith cheap for Pittsburgh. Max Starks, who has improved his play to mediocre lately, will finish the year at left tackle.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
12-24-2008, 04:43 PM
Steelers signed T Jason Capizzi off their practice squad.

He will back up Max Starks in Pittsburgh's playoff run.

rotoworld

stealaz #1
12-24-2008, 07:54 PM
This is the last time we will see Marvel Smith as a Steeler. :injury:

SenecaValley46
12-25-2008, 12:59 AM
Marvel Smith= Injury Prone

Unless we get him dirt cheap he has to go.

hyp21
12-25-2008, 03:39 AM
he's good as gone. someone will go out of their way to over pay him elsewhere. but that's fine long as we know we won't do it

Wilson
12-25-2008, 12:56 PM
Damn, that's a shame. I wonder what happens with him now. I can't see us resigning both him and Starks, and Starks has played well at LT for us (for the most part).

SenecaValley46
12-25-2008, 03:00 PM
Damn, that's a shame. I wonder what happens with him now. I can't see us resigning both him and Starks, and Starks has played well at LT for us (for the most part).

I hope we let them both walk. Starks has improved but he still gets beat by speed rushers.. example: Bens td pass to Hines the guy who hit Ben full speed= Starks man off the edge

I want us to draft JASON SMITH. I cannot say it any louder I just want to shout it on top of a mountain haha. Then sign another tackle capable of starting. We can either invest big $$ for a Jordan Gross type guy, or we can do what I think and just sign an emergeny blanket at RT like a Jon Runyan. Veteran and solid.

stealaz #1
12-25-2008, 04:26 PM
When it comes to the O-line i think we should get another CoOrdinator for the offense and the line before we start drafting and putting out the money and then to find out its the scheme

cre0530
12-26-2008, 10:18 AM
Not sure why the Steeler's or anybody else would risk a roster spot on Smith, he's sat out more than he's played the past couple of years. Think we are going to have Starks for awhile as we're going to be to low in the draft to get a quality left tackle.

Wilson
12-26-2008, 01:41 PM
I hope we let them both walk. Starks has improved but he still gets beat by speed rushers.. example: Bens td pass to Hines the guy who hit Ben full speed= Starks man off the edge

I want us to draft JASON SMITH. I cannot say it any louder I just want to shout it on top of a mountain haha. Then sign another tackle capable of starting. We can either invest big $$ for a Jordan Gross type guy, or we can do what I think and just sign an emergeny blanket at RT like a Jon Runyan. Veteran and solid.

I don't follow college ball, so I couldn't say whether I'd agree or disagree with drafting him.

I will say though, that with all the talet we have at the 'skill' positions, and our amazing defense, I'd rather invest in a few veterens along the offensive line.

I love to have young players, but you have to live through the mistakes they're going to make. With some solid veterens, we should be able to get consistent, solid plays, and not have to wait until the defense is past its prime until the offensive line matures.

It is a lot easier said that done though.

Steelersbud420
12-26-2008, 03:35 PM
Yeah i don't know if there will be many good T's for us to justofy a 1st round pick, new co-ordinator and veteran here and there will improve the line play. To bad that didn't happen last off-season

stealaz #1
12-26-2008, 11:33 PM
Do you guys think if we win the big one we'll keep all the coaches in place,cause IMO they should go regardless we need a new O-line coach and a Off. CoOrdinator we can get them early where they'll learn how to utilize the young talent "Sweed,Mendenhall,hey even Baker i think Nate contract will be up

Wilson
12-27-2008, 12:06 AM
Do you guys think if we win the big one we'll keep all the coaches in place,cause IMO they should go regardless we need a new O-line coach and a Off. CoOrdinator we can get them early where they'll learn how to utilize the young talent "Sweed,Mendenhall,hey even Baker i think Nate contract will be up

Bruce definately needs to go. The line coach though, I'm willing to give him a little more time. The line has showed some improvement the last couple of weeks prior to the Titans game. We all know that Bruce Arians does them NO favours by calling the same two plays for the majority of the game...

jesusncleats
12-27-2008, 02:25 AM

WTF do you only see the ONE negative play from that game?

Starks has been borderline great this season...how many sacks did Freeney get on him, Ill give you a hint it rimes with HERO....DWare, same deal..played well against Suggs...as well as pretty much everyone else..and when he does get beat from a speed stand point he just pushes the defender down the field away from Ben, he has had one off game, the Giants game...Pay this Mother ****er now...we dont have time to rebuild this line!

SenecaValley46
12-27-2008, 02:50 AM
I don't follow college ball, so I couldn't say whether I'd agree or disagree with drafting him.

I will say though, that with all the talet we have at the 'skill' positions, and our amazing defense, I'd rather invest in a few veterens along the offensive line.

I love to have young players, but you have to live through the mistakes they're going to make. With some solid veterens, we should be able to get consistent, solid plays, and not have to wait until the defense is past its prime until the offensive line matures.

It is a lot easier said that done though.

His teams never on TV theyre never really good. Baylor. Its the same college Sepulveda went to FYI I just know a lot about him from his "attributes." Hes a former TE converted tackle which is proven succesful and he runs like a 5.1 40 and has obvious quick feet.

WTF do you only see the ONE negative play from that game?

Starks has been borderline great this season...how many sacks did Freeney get on him, Ill give you a hint it rimes with HERO....DWare, same deal..played well against Suggs...as well as pretty much everyone else..and when he does get beat from a speed stand point he just pushes the defender down the field away from Ben, he has had one off game, the Giants game...Pay this Mother ****er now...we dont have time to rebuild this line!

Theres a reason the dude lost his job. I dont want to invest top dollar for a liability. Theres better out there. Like I said we need to draft Jason Smith by whatever means nessecary. Then we should sign a veteran like if hes available Jon Runyan and he could handle RT..

Why go pay for someone who lost his job to Colon? Fyi Colon isnt good either. I dont know I just don't see it in Starks, I want to part ways with the entire line pretty much. Except Hartwig. If were investing top dollar in the line we need to get the top beef.

Even rotoworld said he is mediocre. I think you personally like the guy as do I hes a great charity guy. So you continue to give him chance after chance and when you see him doing smething good it makes erase plays gone wrong, or it could just be our line has been week so he has played better then the set standard I dont know, when everythings bad as whole its not as noticeable as when something great has gone bad.

jesusncleats
12-27-2008, 03:12 AM
Theres a reason the dude lost his job. I dont want to invest top dollar for a liability. Theres better out there. Like I said we need to draft Jason Smith by whatever means nessecary. Then we should sign a veteran like if hes available Jon Runyan and he could handle RT..

Why go pay for someone who lost his job to Colon? Fyi Colon isnt good either. I dont know I just don't see it in Starks, I want to part ways with the entire line pretty much. Except Hartwig. If were investing top dollar in the line we need to get the top beef.

Even rotoworld said he is mediocre. I think you personally like the guy as do I hes a great charity guy. So you continue to give him chance after chance and when you see him doing smething good it makes erase plays gone wrong, or it could just be our line has been week so he has played better then the set standard I dont know, when everythings bad as whole its not as noticeable as when something great has gone bad.

What was it? Because no one knows!

What has Max Starks done wrong at LT in the last two years, that he doesnt deserve the job? I dont need to give him "chance after chance" because that would imply he wasnt doing a good job. Take off your HATERSHADES and watch the guy, as for your great plan of signing Jon Runyan, is he going to play for free? He is most certainly on the decline but some one will pay him on name recognition.

stealaz #1
12-27-2008, 04:47 AM
Starks is a monster on the left side,its them stunts that the O-line coach not preparing the line for that gets us,and its the 2nd quarter game plan that just sucks we'll have 1 sack in the 1st two qtrs. then 2nd half its open season on Ben i dont understand it.

NYMetros
12-27-2008, 11:32 AM
I like the way Starks has played this year. When Starks' only bad play of a game is letting a guy beat him and not even allowing a sack (Ben throws TD pass) then that's pretty good. I would love to bring him back next year.

stealaz #1
12-27-2008, 02:38 PM
Mad Max had been pretty much shutting down the opponents best pass rusher so much were i seen some pass rushers moved to Colon side,when they get that stunt protection down that'll be it.

SenecaValley46
12-27-2008, 05:34 PM
If were going to pay top dollar like you guys are implying, why not get top beef? Starks has had one good season why go out and pay him money when we can grab someone more reliable.

If you want to pay some major money Jordan Gross is your guy not Starks. If we can draft a stud tackle and sign a veteran i think we'll be alright. I'll post a thread later on some suggestions.

jesusncleats
12-27-2008, 07:07 PM
If were going to pay top dollar like you guys are implying, why not get top beef? Starks has had one good season why go out and pay him money when we can grab someone more reliable.

If you want to pay some major money Jordan Gross is your guy not Starks. If we can draft a stud tackle and sign a veteran i think we'll be alright. I'll post a thread later on some suggestions.

Im all for Jordan Gross, except he will cost roughly twice as much as Starks.

Starks has had only 3 bad games in his career. He was a key piece to the Super Bowl run , got abused by Derrick Burgess(who didnt a few years ago) got benced for a reason everyone still wonders about, took over last year at LT and was great and has been SOLID this season at LT. The odds are a long term contract would be even less per year than what he is making now, due to a nice signing bonus.

SenecaValley46
12-27-2008, 07:35 PM
In the Browns thread you've mentioned are run game being not good.

How would rate Starks for run blocking?

We miss Faneca and Hartings so much now, when you need that 1 yard and you have to get that little push they were so reliable.

I dont know I just want our line to be the complete package. Its really the only thing that can hold us back, if we had Minnesotas line the sky would be the limit.

stealaz #1
12-27-2008, 08:23 PM
It aint cause Faneca's gone Brett has'nt been that clean either and they pushed out more cash than anybody for their O-line ,IMO i would pay Starks we'll save sum cash when Marvel retires cause of back problems imma keep beatin this dead horse and say it again its not the players its the coaching

Wilson
12-27-2008, 10:15 PM
It aint cause Faneca's gone Brett has'nt been that clean either and they pushed out more cash than anybody for their O-line ,IMO i would pay Starks we'll save sum cash when Marvel retires cause of back problems imma keep beatin this dead horse and say it again its not the players its the coaching

I'm going to beat that horse with you. The play-calling never puts the O-line, and thus the whole offense, in places it can succeed. We consistently call the plays that work to our disadvantage, and ignore our strengths. That's bad coaching.

stealaz #1
12-28-2008, 12:45 AM
AMEN:clap: