PDA

View Full Version : Schilling Talks About Tex and the Red Sox

johnnylee722
12-24-2008, 02:04 PM
With Teixeira Signing Comes a Dose of Reality

No one should be shocked, at all. Theo has, at least in my opinion, operated within parameters set by he and the club, and stuck to them. Letting emotion enter into this stuff will see you spend for spending sake. Donít get me wrong, Mark Teixera is a damn good player, but letís look at this realistically.

Over the next 2 years:

.279 Avg; .343 OBP; .467 Slug; 810 OPS; 46 HR; 196 RBIs; 166 Ks; 114 BB(A)

.290 Avg; .378 OBP; .541 Slug; 919 OPS; 72 HR; 242 RBIs; 248 Ks; 158 BB(B)

Based purely on career averages you get the above numbers. Texís power numbers will go up if the new NY stadium has the same dimensions. I think itís safe to say those power numbers would go down a bit in Fenway. Tex is 28, you are paying him through his Age 36 season. Mike is 34, being paid through age 36 as well. Both are Gold Glove players.

So you could ask the following question: Would you pay a player with this stat line, 10 million dollars, and guarantee him a no trade Ė 285 avg; 360 OBP; 500 Slg; 860 OPS; 26 HR; 46 RBI; 82 Ks; 44 BB?

Itís not that easy I know, you need to factor in parks, and lineups and much more but on pure stats thatís the bonus numbers a $10 mm bump in one spot on your roster buys you.

Now, I would agree Texís power numbers would go down at Fenway. But I would also make the case that these power numbers can be made up by Ortiz alone, as long as heís healthy. Yes, he needs protection and this lineup is not going to give him the protection he once had, but he can do it and itís not a stretch.

Personally I am glad Youk is staying at first and Mike is at third. Adding Markís bat is absolutely going to make the Yankees tougher.

Havenít we been down this road before? Thatís not to say this Yankees team canít win 110 games, it can. But so much has to happen for that to work out.

Please stop with the greedy bum statements too, all of you screaming that would be saying nothing if the Sox had anteíd up. Iím surprised but I donít think nearly as much as most others. Why? Because not once, never, did you hear ANYTHING from Mark in this entire charade. This is how Scott Boras works, and his clients love him for it. Mark never said he wanted Boston, sources Ďclose to negotiationsí did. That and a handful of nickels will get you a quarter.

Stop being surprised in these deals when you hear comments from EVERYONE but the players. Until the player speaks I am comfortable telling you more than 90 percent of what you hear is what teams WANT you to hear through their media ísourcesí. Half of these folks get told things from teams because teams
WANT that message in particular, out there.

Jason Bay is going to be here a full year. Thatís 30+ HR, 100+ RBI and a near 900 OPS right there. That helps. Heís a very good defensive player and a very good base runner, not to mention a fantastic club house
presence.

Tex would certainly have made this lineup more potent, but scoring the most runs isnít the solution. You need run prevention and the Sox have that too. Now so do the Yanks, but are you believing that the Yanks just put out $400 mm-plus in contracts and all three players will be worth the deals? When has that ever happened ACROSS a free agent class much less one team.

I think the Steinbrenners, coming off a miserable last season in Yankee Stadium, are dead set on opening the new stadium with a World Series and they donít care how much it costs. Good for them. You can ***** all you want about the Yankees and greed but they spend money in a sincere effort to win it all, every year. What fan wouldnít want their teams to do that.

Theoís not done, at least in my opinion. The club is stocked with VERY tradable young talent and you can bet with this economy teams will be hell bent on unloading supreme talent where possible. Teams other than the NYís, Anaheimís and Bostonís.

The AL East just got tougher, if thatís possible, and I donít think the counter punches are done being thrown.

http://38pitches.weei.com/general/with-teixeira-signing-comes-a-dose-of-reality/

Very well said by Curt here, nice article.

DJYankee
12-24-2008, 02:34 PM
For the first time ever i actually agree with what this guy is saying GO SCHILLING (only for that article)

BTownTeamsRKing
12-24-2008, 02:35 PM
speaken the truth.

TheGunnar7
12-24-2008, 02:37 PM
Don't think I have ever heard something intelligent out of Curt's mouth until now. Good for you Curt.

NYMetros
12-24-2008, 02:37 PM
The problem with his article is that it's not about the difference from Lowell to Teixeira... it's about the Yankees getting Tex. That's why Boston fans are so mad.

BTownTeamsRKing
12-24-2008, 02:40 PM
ok heres something everyone is not mentioning.

the Red Sox didnt need teix!

they have other problems. line up 1-4 is not one of them. We need to fix up the bottom of the line. i want a veteran SS and Lowrie to play utility to Cabrera? and Lowell. I have full confidence in Lowell comming back strong

Run Gardner Run
12-24-2008, 02:42 PM

they have other problems. line up 1-4 is not one of them. We need to fix up the bottom of the line. i want a veteran SS and Lowrie to play utility to Cabrera? and Lowell. I have full confidence in Lowell comming back strong

That didnt change the fact that he would have been a better option for you guys, which is why every Boston fan wanted him

Tragedy
12-24-2008, 03:39 PM
Dear Curt,

Listen, buddy, pal. You helped us win two World Series rings, and forever, we thank you for that. However, as of today, you're a free agent and not a member of my ballclub. Furthermore, you stole $8 million out of the Red Sox while sitting around for 162 games. If you're not re-signed by our club, please stop talking about us and just move forward with whatever you do.

Sincerely,
Boston fans

P.S. Kevin Millar says the bloody sock was fake. Was it?

Run Gardner Run
12-24-2008, 03:40 PM
Dear Curt,

Listen, buddy, pal. You helped us win two World Series rings, and forever, we thank you for that. However, as of today, you're a free agent and not a member of my ballclub. Furthermore, you stole $8 million out of the Red Sox while sitting around for 162 games. If you're not re-signed by our club, please stop talking about us and just move forward with whatever you do.

Sincerely,
Boston fans

lol hes just trying to ease the pain

Nighthawk
12-24-2008, 03:55 PM
Dear Curt,

Sincerely,
Boston fans

I love curt and love when he opens his mouth. Sincerely boston fans. Just cuz u dont like em for whatever reason dont mean others wont but who cares

Nice read by Schilling.

sboyajian
12-24-2008, 03:59 PM
Dear Curt,

Sincerely,
Boston fans

Let's be fair.. he did want the surgery which would have had him back mid season.. the sox wanted him to go Rehab.. it's kind of their own fault.

astavria
12-24-2008, 04:06 PM
I totally agree with Curt.. which is weird. He pretty much summed it up for all of us die hard sox fans that now what is going on and arent over reacting and making crazy trade possibilities just bc we lost Tex. This kind of stuff happens all the time in Soccer and not MLS soccer, I mean real soccer like the Premier league and La Liga. Its a part of sports esp sports with no caps, which at this point I would support bc of the economy and most of the other teams are cutting down bc of the $ situation (except for the big market teams). This is going to get really unfair real fast unless something is done. I think its time we let go of Selig. lol Im sorry this is totally out of the blue but as long as he is around and we live in 1912 baseball rules and regulations, the big market teams are going to rule this sport and its gonna get real predictable real soon.

JobaTheHeat62
12-24-2008, 04:13 PM
OH MY GOD! something that I never in a million years thought i would say. i just read curt schillings blog and didnt wanna firebomb his house. im amazed, because i loathe schilling, and everytime he speaks i usually wanna vomit. but this one was a good read. he obviously hates the yankees, and was not being a huge homer or a irrational hater. for this day mr. 38pitches, you have impressed me.

bkny
12-26-2008, 07:54 PM
the first time something good comes out of curt schilling's mouth

ruckus16969
12-26-2008, 08:20 PM
Tragedy are you the PR guy or one of the Sox FO people. It seems to me like you are always deffending all the mistakes that the Sox make. I think it's called damage controll.

GA16Angels
12-26-2008, 08:26 PM
For a guy I dislike so much, he makes a really valid point.

yanksforlife
12-26-2008, 08:48 PM
i say screw schilling

Tragedy
12-27-2008, 11:24 AM
the first time something good comes out of curt schilling's mouth
He's actually made a lot of valid points throughout his rambles.

Tragedy are you the PR guy or one of the Sox FO people. It seems to me like you are always deffending all the mistakes that the Sox make. I think it's called damage controll.
:shrug:

I'm not always defending my team. I wanted Teixeira (despite the hefty contract). I agree that it sucks that we got him. Not like I'm sitting here saying "He's not that good, it's okay!"

BLOMETSFAN
12-27-2008, 12:03 PM
"You can ***** all you want about the Yankees and greed but they spend money in a sincere effort to win it all, every year. What fan wouldnít want their teams to do that."

Great point from an unlikely source!

onlythisfar41
12-27-2008, 12:07 PM
"You can ***** all you want about the Yankees and greed but they spend money in a sincere effort to win it all, every year. What fan wouldnít want their teams to do that."

Great point from an unlikely source!

yea i couldn't believe that actually came out of Curts mouth, that was way to close to him complimenting the yankees, though im sure he will fix his mistake and say something ******* like in the near future to balance it out.

marques724
12-27-2008, 05:23 PM
I am shocked. This is the first time I have agreed with anything Schilling has had to say

nasthemasta
12-27-2008, 06:16 PM

I thnk ur a little upset!!!

SOX0407
12-27-2008, 06:51 PM
First, Curt writes with conviction. Cannot find a politician to stand for his word when he belivevs in his words. I do not always agree with him, but is is more than 60%. Here its 100%. One guy doesnt make a team, and 3 only can make a team better, in the Yankees case it made them alot better. Third to first-maybe, 162 games will tell. Theo and co. did well not spending the dough and sticking to their guns. If this talent pans out we'll be good, and just as impotant for Henry and Co. likely still profitable. Our current roster needs to produce- youk, lowell, bay, drew, papi gettin .290 20-85 out of all 5 plus Destroia & Ellsbury isnt that bad. Lowrie only got a job because Lugo went down. A .270 hitter with average defense and no power can only stay in the lineup if our catcher can put up. I say sign Tek and trade for Tgargen. That kid can mash and have Tek call pitches from the bench. No matter what the Rays just crushed us and the Yankees payroll and names aside.

SOX0407
12-27-2008, 06:57 PM
Prince Fielder really?

SidTheKid
12-28-2008, 01:01 AM
Wow Curt Schilling actually made sense!

ruckus16969
12-28-2008, 01:30 AM
I bet curt is gonna be the next one to get signed by the Yankees LOL

Apophis
12-28-2008, 04:45 AM
I bet curt is gonna be the next one to get signed by the Yankees LOL

Holy **** dude.. I was about to type that as I was reading all of your comments...lol

When I opened this thread I was expecting more Curt being curt talk..

nygiants242
12-28-2008, 05:58 AM
Wow for the first time he was actually legit in that article and didn't sound like an *** or wasn't talking ****!

magichatnumber9
12-28-2008, 08:04 AM

Great point from an unlikely source!Sincere, wow Is that your quote.... Nope I have heard that B.S quote in many forums, so just quit using it. The Yankee's are not sincere, they suck!