PDA

View Full Version : Was the J-Rich trade good for Phoenix?

amare#1
12-24-2008, 10:08 AM
This thread has deliberately been posted in the NBA forum rather than the Phoenix forum because I wanted to hear the opinions of all NBA fans, not just Phoenix fans.

Phoenix traded Diaw, Bell and Singletary for J-Rich and Dudley.

Since the trade Phoenix is 3-1.

Was this a good trade for Phoenix or not?

DrDEADalready
12-24-2008, 10:19 AM
Must be everybody on 2k9 plays with them.

JayW_1023
12-24-2008, 10:23 AM
Naw. It may be premature to draw a conclusion on this trade...but I think the trade didn't help them. They already had enough offense before the trade. They desperately needed some defensive minded guys.

Everyone seems to torch them from the perimeter: Devin Harris and Brandon Roy most recently.

J-Relo
12-24-2008, 10:40 AM
Naw. It may be premature to draw a conclusion on this trade...but I think the trade didn't help them. They already had enough offense before the trade. They desperately needed some defensive minded guys.

Everyone seems to torch them from the perimeter: Devin Harris and Brandon Roy most recently.

okay, let's think from your side...

first of all it was only Roy who was incredible, Harris was before the trade....

maybe it would be better if we could get someone more defensively minded? WHO?

Raja Bell and Boris Diaw weren't performing as they could, as fans hoped... they lost their steps, Bell wasn't that good defensively as he used to be, Boris was so inconsistent and he couldn't get back to his old shape... so we had two guys that had been good, HAD BEEN... plus they weren't happy and made team's chemistry only worse...

we got one great scorer and pretty good defender J-Rich and also great young guy Dudley.....

the only guy i would still like to see in the team is Singletary, but as we got Brown for a backup PG it's not an issue now...

GCOOKIE7
12-24-2008, 11:00 AM
Ummm the answer to question number 1 is Yes

_Sn1P3r_
12-24-2008, 11:11 AM
So far, it's been a good trade.

op12
12-24-2008, 12:07 PM
i didnt understand why everybody was down on the trade in the 1st place. if you can upgrade your sg position and not give up much why wouldnt you. people say he cant play D, but the suns are not known for their D anyway. he can score and probably will be their #2 scoring option. plus hes fairly young and could stick around after all the old guys retire. great trade in my opinion.

UofA
12-24-2008, 12:17 PM
i didnt understand why everybody was down on the trade in the 1st place. if you can upgrade your sg position and not give up much why wouldnt you. people say he cant play D, but the suns are not known for their D anyway. he can score and probably will be their #2 scoring option. plus hes fairly young and could stick around after all the old guys retire. great trade in my opinion.

Agreed

homestarunner93
12-24-2008, 12:23 PM

You can't say that they aren't known for their D, so its OK if they have none. If they plan to win a championship on anything other than NBA 2k9, they better find some defense. Meanwhile, Diaw and Bell have really sparked the Bobcats. They're getting more opportunities and are shining, especially Diaw.

JordansBulls
12-24-2008, 12:29 PM
This thread has deliberately been posted in the NBA forum rather than the Phoenix forum because I wanted to hear the opinions of all NBA fans, not just Phoenix fans.

Since the trade Phoenix is 3-1.

Was this a good trade for Phoenix or not?

since the suns are not a good defensive team in the 1st place the trade was good because they got more offense since Nash is slipping a bit now.

thephoenixson28
12-24-2008, 12:31 PM
Yes it was a good trade we have another guy that can create his own shot. This test against the spurs is going to show a lot from our team. Now bruce bowen is either going to have to guard nash or richardson, on the other hand bell couldn't create his own shot so he wasn't that effective. With richardson its going to be pick your poison.

JakeDelbreezy
12-24-2008, 12:36 PM
I think the trade is turning out to be good for both teams. J-Rich didn't really fit into LB's scheme (due to the aforementioned lack of D) and Diaw/Bell didn't really want to be in Phx anymore. J-Rich gives the Suns a guy who can run the floor or hit the open 3 off the post games of Amare/Shaq. Charlotte got Diaw who has flourished thus far in the Charlotte scheme. All in all I think it was good for both teams.

VCaintdead17
12-24-2008, 01:17 PM
I think it was a smart trade. IMO Richardson is a very underrated player and brings alot to the team. They recently beath both the Nuggets and Magic and both those teams have been red hot lately.

black1605
12-24-2008, 02:06 PM
don't kid yourselves, Dudley is a Dud

barreleffact
12-24-2008, 03:09 PM
you got a 20ppg scoer who is very athletic and is shooting the lights out this season...you traded a guy who is solid in bell and a guy who hasnt been the same for 2 years...easily this was a monster trade for pheonix and steve kerr is looking like he is a great gm thus far...and MJ looks like he should have stayed away from ball after he retired and just stuck with shoes. he's really ruining his legacy IMO. everything he's touched b4 being a GM was an instant success and a prolonged success. the wiz and charlotte are far from either

braveniler58
12-24-2008, 03:57 PM
I was initially wary of the trade, but so far it is looking good. Diaw is lighting it up in Charlotte, which is what he needed. A big role instead of the 6th/7th man role he had in Phoenix. Raja had three horrible games to start then had a good game then a decent one. That's what you get from Raja. Too much inconsistency... J-Rich is solid.

Good trade.

JPHX
12-24-2008, 04:17 PM
i think pre-jrich trade, the suns took a step back in their game. current roster was just not cutting it. with the trade it gets them back to their lethal offense of years past. unfortunately it does not really improve the team as a whole, but now gives us a mobile 2 guard.

b_rad23
12-24-2008, 04:37 PM
Good for both teams IMO.

GSW fan
12-24-2008, 05:21 PM
Being a warrirors fan, I sadly know too much about J-rich. He plays with the most heart in the NBA. We traded him for Mr. America AKA Brandan Wright

DerekRE_3
12-24-2008, 05:45 PM
Way too soon to be asking this. It's been 4 games. Come back to this after the all star break.

amare#1
12-24-2008, 07:35 PM
Way too soon to be asking this. It's been 4 games. Come back to this after the all star break.

Ideas about how people project Phoenix will be because of the trade are also allowed.

DerekRE_3
12-24-2008, 07:38 PM
I think this was a good trade for both teams. I don't see it putting the Suns over the top, but it did make them better. They just don't have it defensively to be be a championship contender.

Iodine
12-24-2008, 08:37 PM
It makes them more exiting to watch but butter?
Unless J-rich became a top tier wing defender than they will still be epic fail in th eplayoffs

JayW_1023
12-24-2008, 08:46 PM
It makes them more exiting to watch but butter?
Unless J-rich became a top tier wing defender than they will still be epic fail in th eplayoffs

I agree...Brandon Roy will be the first of many who will torch them. Their pick and roll defense is horrendous and now their perimeter D sucks even more.

On paper they look good but that's not enough to convince me. Porter likes to put emphasis on defense and this roster is too dysfunctional to make ends meet.

They are no better now than that Warriors team that ousted Dallas during Dirks MVP season. They might even be worse.

Westbrook36
12-24-2008, 08:50 PM

Good trade for Phoenix. Bell is past his prime and many people are saying that he dosnt have that step anymore, He isnt playing pesky defense at all. Diaw has done really good on the Bobcats but J-Rich just added more offense to that team, They should go back to running and try to play alittle better defense.

Iodine
12-24-2008, 09:04 PM
I agree...Brandon Roy will be the first of many who will torch them. Their pick and roll defense is horrendous and now their perimeter D sucks even more.

On paper they look good but that's not enough to convince me. Porter likes to put emphasis on defense and this roster is too dysfunctional to make ends meet.

They are no better now than that Warriors team that ousted Dallas during Dirks MVP season. They might even be worse.

I think people are overplaying their new "defensive focus" is overstated. I mean the 101 they gave up in their last game was the "best" in twelve games

Chronz
12-24-2008, 10:49 PM
Yes it was a good trade, they lost alittle bit of defense while gaining awhole lot of offense. That makes for a better team doesnt it?

Sox Appeal
12-24-2008, 11:47 PM
I think the J-Rich deal was a terrific move for the Suns. Prior to the trade, the Suns where playing like a team who was disinterested (anybody who watched their game against the Mavs a few days before the trade, would agree with me) and they obviously needed to make a move. So they did. Boris Diaw was an aging player, who clearly needed a change of scenery, and Raja Bell was nothing more then a solid defender for them. J-Rich on the other hand will be a perfect fit in the Suns system. They needed somebody who could score on the perimeter and take the pressure off Steve Nash. Richardson will do both of those things, and because of that, I think the Suns become legitimate contenders in the Western Conference once again.

dre1990
12-25-2008, 12:03 AM
good fo both sides of the trade....

king4day
12-25-2008, 01:15 AM
don't kid yourselves, Dudley is a Dud

Really? I know he's no allstar but to add a guy who's started much of the last year+, that's not a bad throw in, in the deal

king4day
12-25-2008, 01:16 AM
Bell wanted to be traded
Diaw was beginning to complain
There was no D from either of them before the trade, as well as no offense
Post trade, there's still no D, but we are getting our swagger back. It's a start

cahawk
12-25-2008, 05:03 AM
I wouldn't trash MJ as a GM, remember everyone thought he wouldn't become a star in baseball, and look how that turned out..........
Ooops, forgot, where's the edit button or some white out.

amare#1
12-25-2008, 05:29 AM
Bell wanted to be traded
Diaw was beginning to complain
There was no D from either of them before the trade, as well as no offense
Post trade, there's still no D, but we are getting our swagger back. It's a start

This is how I feel.

DET UNIT
12-25-2008, 06:11 AM

Your crazy, They are the best in the west now, Like I said they are like the old JOE JOHNSON SUNS TUFF%%%%%

nygiants242
12-25-2008, 06:20 AM
We'll see once the playoffs come around

chicagowhitesox
12-25-2008, 05:07 PM
yeah j-rich owns. they rescued him.

king4day
12-25-2008, 11:49 PM
his defensive meltdown on Mason tonight cost us at least OT :pity:

JordansBulls
12-26-2008, 01:18 AM
his defensive meltdown on Mason tonight cost us at least OT :pity:

I've never understood when a team is up 2 points and a guy is penetrating with a few seconds left why you close out on a guy? You should just let him go one on one so that the 3 doesn't beat you.

LakerzDQ
12-26-2008, 04:27 AM
I don't understand why PHX and SAS always have close games... with Spurs coming out on top

op12
12-26-2008, 01:57 PM
he dropped the ball on D on Christmas but you live and learn, he and the suns will be fine come the playoffs. i thought at the start of the season the suns will be in the WC Finals.

Ethix11
12-26-2008, 02:09 PM
J-Rich is a hustler. You guys are lucky to have him. It is and will always be a good trade. Pheonix is in win now mode, and you pretty much got Bell/Diaw put them together to form an upgraded player in J-Rich and still leave an extra roster spot for another player to affect the outcome. Larry Brown just wants role players to put into a system to make them better so you got a star for his bits and pieces. Make it work over the course of the season and see ya in the Finals.

Statik1
12-26-2008, 02:20 PM
Trade works for both teams but I still say the trade is a push