PDA

View Full Version : Yankees spend 423 million Dollars

Your my boy Blu
12-23-2008, 04:44 PM
MLB needs a cap. This is just crazy, Yankees drop 423 million dollars on three players in one month? Come on.

gcoll
12-23-2008, 04:45 PM
Again. I don't have the numbers. But I think their payroll is close to what it was last year.

yaowowrocket11
12-23-2008, 04:48 PM
They are spending the money they have, and trying to be the best team out there. Is it unfair? To an extent, yes, but to another extent, no. Some owners are just as rich as choose not to spend their money.

con_artist
12-23-2008, 04:49 PM
This is ridiculous, they've basically just bought a good team. Imagine if teams like Florida or Tampa had this kind of money, it might level the playing field a bit.

DieHardColtsfan
12-23-2008, 04:49 PM
Basking in the hate!!!!!!!!!! love it.... look at the Rays --stop crying

bloodhawk
12-23-2008, 04:52 PM
hate the game not the player...blame your owners

Your my boy Blu
12-23-2008, 04:57 PM
They are spending the money they have, and trying to be the best team out there. Is it unfair? To an extent, yes, but to another extent, no. Some owners are just as rich as choose not to spend their money.

AH man do I wish this was true.
Great teams like the
Twins
A’s
Rays
Have better baseball people, better scouting, better farm systems but can’t sell their MVP seats for 2500 a pop. Compare 45 dollars to 2500 dollars multiply by 81 and then multiply by the amout of MVP seats. No not every team has the Yankees money. Just a small snipet.

If baseball wants to pull closer the NFL they need a cap.

Now what is a better organization?
One that can put group of people together that can scout, manage and draft or sell their seats for 2500 dollars?

bloodhawk
12-23-2008, 05:00 PM
even i as a yankee fan wouldn't mind a cap...but the players union will never agree

MrSexy
12-23-2008, 05:23 PM
Spending alot of money does not make a good GM, anyone can do that. What makes a good GM is balancing the spending with trades and development of minor league players. Cashman is NOT a good GM.

Zaunnie
12-23-2008, 05:24 PM
payroll = penis size

Mr. October
12-23-2008, 05:25 PM
Spending alot of money does not make a good GM, anyone can do that. What makes a good GM is balancing the spending with trades and development of minor league players. Cashman is NOT a good GM.

He's pulled off great trades and has revamped the farm system...

RaysFan
12-23-2008, 05:28 PM
If anything I think we should pull for the Yankees to sign a bunch of players. I want them to land Manny for a 2 or 3 year deal. That would be great. Something drastic like that would wake up the big-wigs in MLB to the fact that there has to be a cap. If all the other sports can do it, so can MLB.

Look, the Yankees are not a well-run organization. They don't have many baseball people making good moves. But they don't have to have those people because they can just spend so much money. Can you really blame them? I can't. Be mad at MLB for the way they shape their rules. But PLEASE don't tell me...

1. The Yankees are well-run

2. Their baseball people are smart

3. Cashman is a good GM

4. Girardi is a good manager

That stuff just isn't true. I am not kidding when I say that I could do just as good as Cashman has done over the last few years. He has an insanely easy job. Just throw money at people and hope they don't take less somewhere else.

mnrlgry
12-23-2008, 05:29 PM

To what extent is having tens of millions of dollars more to spend then any other team NOT an unfair advantage?

The MLB is NOT a free market, it's why it was given anti-trust exemption. The MLB is a dictatorship. Not anyone can own a team or build one or move one if they want to. So the market of players should be made even.

Put at cap at 130 million or so. It's enough to where the Yankees cannot single handily drive up prices AND purchase every single top name free agent in one off season.

Please do not bring up the World Series losing Rays or the Marlins of years ago either. Two teams making it far into the playoffs a whole three times in the past fifteen years or so is not a fair situation.

Twinke Masta
12-23-2008, 05:29 PM
if you got money spend it right

NYMetros
12-23-2008, 05:30 PM
I would love to see a salary cap. In my opinion that is what makes the NFL so great. Everyone is on a more level playing field (it also helps that there are ony 16 games as opposed to 162). But really, what the Yankees have done is ridiculous, to put it in the nicest way possible.

Rumeye
12-23-2008, 05:31 PM
The Yankees buy their team. Not saying it's right, not saying it's wrong, not saying it's fair, not saying it's unfair. You be the judge.

The only gripe I have is this seems to take away from the spirit of the game. Maybe I'm wrong.

nygiants242
12-23-2008, 05:36 PM
Salary cap please.

jason17
12-23-2008, 05:40 PM

NO!!! what makes a good team is when the player actully plays with there hearts out and win a series. Look at the Rays they have no 300 MIL dollar players but they almost made it and did better than the Yankes. Its all about heart and all about how they'll play together.

I can gurantee you right now the Yankees will not win a world series and I can gurantee you my Nats will win one way before they'll get another one.

malcolmclark
12-23-2008, 05:41 PM
Their projected payroll is going to be 8x that of the Florida Marlins.

CrazyCrackar
12-23-2008, 05:41 PM
There was an article on espn today saying that nationals are serious contenders, becasue there owner has so mich money. Yes they got outbid here, but obviously this guy has some money to make his team better then what it is.

IBleedPurple
12-23-2008, 05:42 PM

I blame baseball for not implementing a salary cap. It is not about the owners, most can afford the players. Problem is, with a smaller market team, you will not get the return on your investment. Doesn't matter if the team wins or not, the fanbase just isn't large enough.

Baseball has become like football in the 80's, a complete joke and payoff for a ring.

The NL can produce teams that have a chance to compete like the Rockies, but I don't see another Rays type team in the AL for a couple years. The Crankees will probably get a ring. Awesome, yeahhh, wooo, as if 26 isn't enough

Go Sabres
12-23-2008, 05:46 PM
Everyone quite crying please you all need to look at how cheap the other owners are look at the SKANK sox a few yrs ago had AROD but could not come up like 500,000 and look he ended up with the Yankees, so its not their fault they put back into the team. Put this way the Yankees are not pocketing money they are putting right back in the MLB. So for all you haters shut up.

Mr. October
12-23-2008, 05:48 PM
Salary cap please.

Salary cap is only going to affect the Red Sox, Cubs, Angels, Mets, etc. Those top tier teams that spend a lot of money but not as much of money.

A salary cap is not going to help the small market teams make more money to spend on free agents. It won't. The market may be more even, but those teams will not be able to spend lucrative amounts to players still if they can't get fans out to the games consistently.

And a salary cap won't happen under Selig or with this players union. Selig won't allow it because the players union is too strong and will force baseball into another strike, which Bud does not want to happen, again.

Uncle Funster
12-23-2008, 05:49 PM
MLB needs a cap. This is just crazy, Yankees drop 423 million dollars on three players in one month? Come on.

No, they didn't. Those contacts have escape clauses after the first few years that the players usually exercise. They spent 22+16+14 per year.

CrazyCrackar
12-23-2008, 05:49 PM
I love how all 5 threads are about the yanks.

Rumeye
12-23-2008, 05:54 PM
I love how all 5 threads are about the yanks.

They are the only team doing anyfreakingthing. I'm sure if the Twins had $200 million to spend on someone there would be a thread for them.

Roy31
12-23-2008, 05:55 PM
Everything is fine... A-Rod and Tex are the shet!

metsbulls1025
12-23-2008, 05:56 PM
No one said anything last year about a cap when the Yanks did nothing. Now they buy everyone up and lets start the cap talk again. Im glad they are doing what they are doing. They have all these players, but they are not a lock for anything. It just makes it a better story and something to talk about if they struggle at all and miss out or lose in the playoffs. There is alot of pressure now in NY and we no what happens to some of those players when there is pressure. I always new the worst thing for baseball would be the Yankees not making the playoffs. Ownership just through a big temper tantrum and got what they wanted.

HOZ THE KNICK
12-23-2008, 05:57 PM
it dosen't matter how much they spend they make plenty of profit

JobaTheHeat62
12-23-2008, 06:00 PM

amen! until we break MLB rules keep the tear fest goin! hahahahahah!!!!!!!!!!

Your my boy Blu
12-23-2008, 06:01 PM
Cap makes it a level field.
The teams with the best baseball people win not the team with the most money.

urban legend
12-23-2008, 06:03 PM
everyonhe keeps saying what about the rays and oakland? But didn't these teams most notably the Ray's just suck for years and years? They had one good year and soon they wont be able to pay each player 15 mill and lose all thier players and start the cycle over again

WSbluejays
12-23-2008, 06:04 PM
the yankees have actually cut their payroll from last year. lol. Signing texiera and if they sign manny might increase their payroll.

WSbluejays
12-23-2008, 06:05 PM
I wondering were i can information about teams Revenue.

Rumeye
12-23-2008, 06:06 PM
it dosen't matter how much they spend they make plenty of profit

WHOOOOSH! Right over your head.

oak2455
12-23-2008, 06:07 PM
Their projected payroll is going to be 8x that of the Florida Marlins.

Marlins should sell they have 20 people going to their games:confused:.....spend the money and they will come:).... Listen people who own say a Baseball team or whatever sport they have insane amounts of money, so if you have the money spend it on your team or put it in your pocket:speechless: The Yankees have been doing this for a while now:clap::clap::clap:

HOZ THE KNICK
12-23-2008, 06:08 PM
the yankees have actually cut their payroll from last year. lol. Signing texiera and if they sign manny might increase their payroll.

if the yanks sign manny the payroll will be about the same but with much better players

oak2455
12-23-2008, 06:09 PM

Listen as a Blue Jay fan should their even be baseball in a hockey town??:confused:

HOZ THE KNICK
12-23-2008, 06:10 PM
I wondering were i can information about teams Revenue.
the yankees make millions of dollars off their tv network alione and the new stadium is going to be a gold mine according to espn

locustguy54
12-23-2008, 06:11 PM
http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/ good site to see all mlb teams and their players contracts broken down!

Rumeye
12-23-2008, 06:13 PM
Listen as a Blue Jay fan should their even be baseball in a hockey town??:confused:

There are 11 teams with worse attendance records than the Jays last year.

Your my boy Blu
12-23-2008, 06:13 PM
everyonhe keeps saying what about the rays and oakland? But didn't these teams most notably the Ray's just suck for years and years? They had one good year and soon they wont be able to pay each player 15 mill and lose all thier players and start the cycle over again

Rays are an expansion team playing against the Yankees payroll and the Yankees north payroll the sox. It was bound to take some time. The A’s only follow the Yankees in championships, titles and winning %.

This is not about the Yankees. The Yankees just did it this year. So next year a 200 mill contract? 5 years a team spends a billion in the offseason? Seats cost 3000 for MVP section? Why are we assuming this giant snowball is going to slow down?

If you really like baseball and want to keep it competitive follow the best model in all of sports the NFL.

Yankees fans what of you scared if your front office has such good people? A cap shouldn’t hurt you then. Buying a ring is not the same a building and winning a ring. If you win rings and not buy rings prove with a cap.

Mr. October
12-23-2008, 06:16 PM
Cap makes it a level field.
The teams with the best baseball people win not the team with the most money.

No, it only helps the upper echelon teams that cannot spend on the same level as the Yankees.

The bottom feeder, are left in the dust again.

If you impose a cap, you need a floor as well. It's not fair if the Yankees are being punished for trying to win, while other teams are not going above to spend as well.

oak2455
12-23-2008, 06:18 PM
There are 11 teams with worse attendance records than the Jays last year.

heres a sport with no salary cap.....so I really dont see the problem:) There will not be a salary cap never.... So if you cant handle that then pick another sport because the teams that want to win will do what it takes!! P.S I'm not looking to pick a fight just saying what I think about this whole situation:)

Red_Sox_89
12-23-2008, 06:20 PM
Why isn't there a smiley with a middle finger.... it could be.. :thebird:

johnnylee722
12-23-2008, 06:21 PM
Tampa Bay Rays

Rumeye
12-23-2008, 06:22 PM
You wouldn't need a Salary Cap floor IMO. If the Yankees Payroll was brought down to let's say $100 Million, there is no team in the league that couldn't realistically compete with them. Small payroll or not. Also, with a very small payroll and a salary cap, this would transfer the power to sign big names to the teams who have the cap space, not the teams who have the most expendable income.

Crazy Crab
12-23-2008, 06:23 PM
I just wonder how many Yankees "fans" will be able to afford to go to one game let alone have season's tickets?????

Freel for prez
12-23-2008, 06:24 PM
Tampa Bay Rays...Seriously though, this is gonna catch up and bite MLB right in the butt. 423 millions dollars?! Its so sickening and unfair. If the MLB had a salary cap it could be just as successful as the NFL.

sep11ie
12-23-2008, 06:30 PM
No, they didn't. Those contacts have escape clauses after the first few years that the players usually exercise. They spent 22+16+14 per year.

No, only Sabathia got the escape clause

still1ballin
12-23-2008, 06:35 PM
MLB is getting to be a joke. This is a professional sport not a video game.

Mr. October
12-23-2008, 06:51 PM
You wouldn't need a Salary Cap floor IMO. If the Yankees Payroll was brought down to let's say $100 Million, there is no team in the league that couldn't realistically compete with them. Small payroll or not. Also, with a very small payroll and a salary cap, this would transfer the power to sign big names to the teams who have the cap space, not the teams who have the most expendable income.

KC, Minny, Marlins, etc would not sign players like Tex, CC or Burnett. Those guys would've gone to Red Sox, Dodgers and Braves.

A salary cap helps those teams who spend alot but not in the same range as the Yankees. It is not going to make other owners spend more money, just make the Yankees spend less.

yaowowrocket11
12-23-2008, 06:58 PM
To what extent is having tens of millions of dollars more to spend then any other team NOT an unfair advantage?

The MLB is NOT a free market, it's why it was given anti-trust exemption. The MLB is a dictatorship. Not anyone can own a team or build one or move one if they want to. So the market of players should be made even.

Put at cap at 130 million or so. It's enough to where the Yankees cannot single handily drive up prices AND purchase every single top name free agent in one off season.

Please do not bring up the World Series losing Rays or the Marlins of years ago either. Two teams making it far into the playoffs a whole three times in the past fifteen years or so is not a fair situation.

Some of the owners of these low payroll teams have just as much money as the Yankees, but choose not to spend it.

tomno00
12-23-2008, 07:01 PM
i really dont understand why there isnt one already. the damn federal gov. puts caps on a lot of things and is practically running the country right now and f-ing baseball doesnt have the balls to institute a salary cap. Its called regulation. Baseball needs regulation imo. How the hell are yankee fans even going to afford to go the damn games?

arkanian215
12-23-2008, 07:04 PM
0a

Sick Of It All
12-23-2008, 07:05 PM
So what if they spend half a billion on 3 players, now adays that does not even guarantee them a spot on the playoff. Thats goes for any big spending team.

people need to stop crying about it, this will alwayd be like this because owners and the players association will always want to keep it like that.

No way in hell will there ever be a salary cap in baseball, so fans of other teams just have to live with it.

Sick Of It All
12-23-2008, 07:07 PM
BTW this is great news for other teams because after 2011 when Pujols becomes a free agent the Mets might have a chance at him.

arkanian215
12-23-2008, 07:10 PM
0a

HOZ THE KNICK
I just wonder how many Yankees "fans" will be able to afford to go to one game let alone have season's tickets?????
yankees get sale outs all the time that's never a problem i go to 15 games a yr or more the tickets are still respectable.

Hawkeye15
know whats funny? Even after these 3 signings, they will be $12 million a year less than last season in total team payroll. Now, Petitte may eat that up, but really, they are cutting their team salary so far.

Jonathan2323
12-23-2008, 07:12 PM
:pity::pity::pity::pity:

dbroncos78087
12-23-2008, 07:13 PM
If they can spend it i say let them. I am a Sox fan but if they feel like spending that money on those players let them.

tomno00
12-23-2008, 07:13 PM
So what if they spend half a billion on 3 players, now adays that does not even guarantee them a spot on the playoff. Thats goes for any big spending team.

people need to stop crying about it, this will alwayd be like this because owners and the players association will always want to keep it like that.

No way in hell will there ever be a salary cap in baseball, so fans of other teams just have to live with it.

so tell me, do you think its right that the government puts caps on gas prices or that they have rules in place to prevent monopolies? i mean at what point do you think baseball should step in?

arkanian215
12-23-2008, 07:18 PM
0a

cwilson21
12-23-2008, 07:21 PM
Can't wait til my Twins storm through the AL while spending no money this offseason.

TommyBlue
12-23-2008, 07:22 PM
Hey...If you don't have the money, threaten the city and get a weak-willed, mush-minded mayor to give you the money. That ought to do it.

Mr. October
12-23-2008, 07:23 PM
so tell me, do you think its right that the government puts caps on gas prices or that they have rules in place to prevent monopolies? i mean at what point do you think baseball should step in?

Except they aren't a monopoly. It's not like they are wiping out their competition and absorbing teams to become the Yankees.

hawksnation101
12-23-2008, 07:24 PM
I agree that there should be a salary cap. But sense we all know that the players union is not going to let that happen because they are all greedy. So lets stop talking about that right now. Here is a thought to ponder. The yanks had what?a 250 million dollar payroll last year? and what didnt they do? oh ya, thats right, they didnt make it into the playoffs. It just goes to show that you cannot buy yourself a ring. I gurantee right now that with all the egos in the locker room this yank "experiment" will blow up in there faces and they will at best lose in the first round of the playoffs. I thank you.

Sick Of It All
12-23-2008, 07:26 PM

Baseball is entertaiment and thats what some people seem to not get. If your fed up with what the Yanks and baseball do stop watching and find something else better. There are plenty other sports out there that this is not allowed.

Sick Of It All
12-23-2008, 07:28 PM
My only problem I have with the Yanks spending is that they should not be allowed to spend that much money and then given half a billion more to build their stadium and that goes for the Mets to. They have the money to spend this much and they should use that money to build their parks as well, do not ask for us to pay for it.

td905
12-23-2008, 07:34 PM
Yankee fans have to salute Yankee ownership. Boston, Anaheim, Washington, and Baltimore all had the resources to make this happen and didn't. The Steinbrener's flat out want to win, will back up the talk with the dough, and return their fans dollars back to the fans trying to put the best team on the field. Don't hate them, the other owners are content to take your money and spend it on themselves. Yankees play within the rules. If you don't like the way they do buisness hate Selig and the rules that are in place. Tex makes sense as an investment and so does Sabathia. Burnett makes no sense at all and that is the signing I'm not happy with. But its not my money its theirs.

arkanian215
12-23-2008, 07:34 PM
0a

arkanian215
12-23-2008, 07:37 PM
0a

Mr. October
12-23-2008, 07:38 PM
imo theyre not a monopoly but their actions suggest that they are being anticompetitive in terms of team revenue. their constant dominance (partly due to spending in the earlier era and the success that came with it-spending a lot does not mean success of course) diminishes any baseball fans interest in their local team. they either become yankee fans or local fans. however, suspect that since that many of their local teams arent constantly competitive that they wont spend more on merchandise, tickets, etc. i think that also reduces the owner's willingness to pay for high quality talent and just reap the rewards of whatever revenue they get plus luxury tax. this however, is less so for big market teams because they can obtain just as much revenue even if the proportion of fans interested in their team is lower (simply larger fan base).
the chicago cubs could also have followed this path but since they were largely unsuccessful (no offense cubs fans) at least not in the extent that the yankees were, they were not able to increase national interest in their team (the way the yankees have).

I bet if you look at percentages, the Yankees are on par with most of the lower payroll teams in terms of profit and costs, if not lower. The problem is that the other teams are more concerned with money in maximizing profit instead of putting out the best possible team.

yanksforlife
12-23-2008, 07:38 PM
it's not steinbrenner's fault the rest of the owners are too stupid to make money. ya hate us still and we havent won a world series since 2000. amazing. ya hate us cus we own ya.

Brendan
12-23-2008, 07:39 PM
The Yankees are the reason i am no longer interested in watching MLB anymore

Sick Of It All
12-23-2008, 07:43 PM
The Yankees are the reason i am no longer interested in watching MLB anymore

See there is a choice you can make.

To me Isiah Thomas coming to the Knicks was the reason I stopped watching basketball and I have not return since.

Rumeye
12-23-2008, 07:43 PM
it's not steinbrenner's fault the rest of the owners are too stupid to make money. ya hate us still and we havent won a world series since 2000. amazing. ya hate us cus we own ya.

Actually, the Red Sox own you. What have you done lately?

arkanian215
12-23-2008, 07:47 PM
See there is a choice you can make.

To me Isiah Thomas coming to the Knicks was the reason I stopped watching basketball and I have not return since.

are you gonna start watching when the knicks start doing good again? that doesnt sound like a good knicks fan to me. gotta be in it for the pain and the glory. my nets are doing amazing.

ccugrad1
12-23-2008, 07:48 PM
I may be in the minority on this, but I don't think baseball needs a salary cap as much as they need to implement something where teams are required to spend "x" amount of dollars on their payroll. IMO, if you can't spend at least 60 million your payroll to field a competitive team, you have no business owning a team. That is where I find more fault in MLB than a team(s) that are willing to spend money to put a good product on the field.

yanksforlife
12-23-2008, 07:49 PM
Actually, the Red Sox own you. What have you done lately?

nobody owns the yanks heh

we own bud selig

Rumeye
12-23-2008, 07:50 PM
You own Bud Selig and you still can't win the WS.

Mr. October
12-23-2008, 07:55 PM
nobody owns the yanks heh

we own bud selig

You own Bud Selig and you still can't win the WS.

Very intelligent comments. Way to bring integrity to PSD!!

ComeBackGeorge
12-23-2008, 07:56 PM
salary cap?

You mean give more money to the billionaire owners?

Their is already a luxury tax which the yankees pay to every other team. If anything their should be minimum payroll requirement.

jacquewho?
12-23-2008, 07:58 PM
I could care less honestly how much 1 team spends :shrug:

dbroncos78087
12-23-2008, 07:58 PM
not with money that couldve paid for more firemen.

It isnt the Yankee's job to pay firemen. Now if you ask me should they be then i would say no louder than anyone, but it is their money they can spend it however they want. Also i dont think they should be getting money from the city but again if they can why shouldnt they.

ComeBackGeorge
12-23-2008, 07:59 PM
Problem is some other teams ownership run their club to make money and to get richer and care less if their team wins. The Pirates do not care AT ALL if their team ever wins a title. They run their clubs like a business. The Yankees run their club to win. Thats why they spend more money. Everyone should want their club to be run like NYY and should be discusted that their clubs have the means necessary, but don't give a $%!&

Uncle Funster
12-23-2008, 07:59 PM
Very intelligent comments. Way to bring integrity to PSD!!

Welcome back to Romper Room...

Happy Holidays, man.

redbird89
12-23-2008, 08:01 PM
Yankees spend $423 million to not make the playoffs again, probably.

We don't need a really strict cap, but we need to do something.

ComeBackGeorge
12-23-2008, 08:02 PM
By the way, all evidence points towards payroll not meaning a whole heck of a lot when it comes to winning. Scouting, and development mean 100x more. The evidence is everywhere. P.eople need to stop crying

nybigjg
12-23-2008, 08:03 PM
Listen kid, the Yankees payroll is about the same as last year. It's the Yankees' money, not yours. I can tell you're upset, but it's no reason to have a cap in baseball.

arkanian215
12-23-2008, 08:11 PM
I bet if you look at percentages, the Yankees are on par with most of the lower payroll teams in terms of profit and costs, if not lower. The problem is that the other teams are more concerned with money in maximizing profit instead of putting out the best possible team.

yes you are absolutely right (assuming that you mean that the yankees costs arent equal to that of the pirates). those owners pocket the luxury tax etc and make profit which is much greater when they choose to spend none of that($20 mil per team according to forbes plus merchandise whatever that may be). [btw holy cow the yanks are responsible for approx 27% of the merchandise sold].

sboyajian
12-23-2008, 08:11 PM
Meh.. you do what you gotta do. They didn't make the playoffs last year, we all knew they would make a big splash this year.

sboyajian
12-23-2008, 08:12 PM
Listen kid, the Yankees payroll is about the same as last year. It's the Yankees' money, not yours. I can tell you're upset, but it's no reason to have a cap in baseball.

no need to be disrespectful

arkanian215
12-23-2008, 08:16 PM
It isnt the Yankee's job to pay firemen. Now if you ask me should they be then i would say no louder than anyone, but it is their money they can spend it however they want. Also i dont think they should be getting money from the city but again if they can why shouldnt they.

i dont see why the mets and yankees werent denied the money in the first place. i wish the city hadn't allowed this to happen. i wish the irs and the federal government didn't allow it to happen. i guess i only say that with hindsight now because they did go out and spend an enormous amount on FA's. what does the city get in return? parking spots. a couple of displaced parks with artificial grass on top of these lots. what does the guy in kansas get? if he likes the yankees, he's happy. if not well he got absolutely shafted.

HOZ THE KNICK
12-23-2008, 08:18 PM
i dont see why the mets and yankees werent denied the money in the first place. i wish the city hadn't allowed this to happen. i wish the irs and the federal government didn't allow it to happen. i guess i only say that with hindsight now because they did go out and spend an enormous amount on FA's. what does the city get in return? parking spots. a couple of displaced parks with artificial grass on top of these lots. what does the guy in kansas get? if he likes the yankees, he's happy. if not well he got absolutely shafted.
the rich always get richer it's the american way......sad but true

arkanian215
12-23-2008, 08:18 PM

my dads tax dollars went in there. he doesnt even like baseball. they couldve improved the trains or something. stupid city. stupid bloomberg.

arkanian215
12-23-2008, 08:24 PM
the rich always get richer it's the american way......sad but true

it doesnt have to be that way.

Uncle Funster
12-23-2008, 08:39 PM
my dads tax dollars went in there. he doesnt even like baseball. they couldve improved the trains or something. stupid city. stupid bloomberg.

Stoopid. The Yankees are stoopid! It's back, everyone! RSHater, where are you?

PsychoTim
12-23-2008, 08:42 PM
I think there are more important things than a salary cap needed:

-Worldwide/international draft (like the NBA, no more signing 15 year old kids in the Dominican Republic or paying $51 million to talk to Dice-K). Access to international talen for all.

-Slotted draft picks (NBA again) - that way those teams with the top 5 draft picks can actually draft and sign the top 5 players, no more Boras Effect

ruslan898
12-23-2008, 08:56 PM
As a Phillies fan, I definitely would not want to see a salary cap in baseball. In contrast to NHL, when the salary cap was established, alongside with other issues it caused the downfall of the NHL. Teams like the Yankees make baseball, what baseball is today. Ironically, over the last few years it has been proven that the enormous salary cap does not equate a championship. I also oppose people expressing abhorrence towards baseball players who agree to multimillion dollar contracts and leave their previous teams. If you know your value, then why settle for less? Personally, I was only discontented with the Yankees organization when they asked the city of New York for additional funding.

donnie23
12-23-2008, 09:19 PM

I thought some of the deal was low interest muni bonds. Thats not the same as tax payer money.

donnie23
12-23-2008, 09:19 PM
I think there are more important things than a salary cap needed:

-Worldwide/international draft (like the NBA, no more signing 15 year old kids in the Dominican Republic or paying $51 million to talk to Dice-K). Access to international talen for all.

-Slotted draft picks (NBA again) - that way those teams with the top 5 draft picks can actually draft and sign the top 5 players, no more Boras Effect

Decent ideas.

donnie23
12-23-2008, 09:21 PM

I'm sure there is a city tax on the tickets.

tomno00
12-23-2008, 09:23 PM
ny and nj have enough rich people to still afford to go to see them play haha

Ethix11
12-23-2008, 09:31 PM
As a Marlins fan, i personally love the fact that theres no salary cap. It goes to show what teams are better run. Theres no better feeling than winning the World Series against a team that makes 5 times as much as yours. And i still think we were Manny Ramirez away from winning it again. Damn!

WindyCityFlyer
12-23-2008, 09:39 PM
I vote no for a cap, if you have the money and choose to spend it, go ahead...

Lady's Man
12-23-2008, 09:48 PM
all of you who voted for no salary cap, but voted for obama, are hypocirts.

Hendo
12-23-2008, 09:55 PM
yea, hate on the Yankees for having $85+ million come off the books and then reinvesting that extra money back into their team rather than a fat bank account or a private island for the owner :rolleyes: (oh and they still haven't reinvested everything yet so at the moment, the payroll is still lower than it was last year :p

your teams can spend money too. It's not the Steinbrenners fault that other owners use the revenue sharing money that the Yankees must give them for vacations and private airplanes instead of players.

Rochesta
12-23-2008, 10:18 PM
The only folks arguing against a cap are, for the most part, Yankee fans or other large market fans. That should tell you most of what you need to know.

I've said it 1000 times. There is no credibility to the sport of baseball unless the ability to retain players, sign free agents, sign draft picks, and trade for salaries is equal. This is not a truly competitive league to watch if you're a fan.

And I'm so sick of people pointing out the Rays. Can you say 'fleeting'?

yankees4Everr
12-23-2008, 10:27 PM
Does anyone know what the yankees payroll would be the season started today with the exact lineup we have now?

akagiredsuns
12-23-2008, 10:28 PM

It's actually $440 million. You forgot to include the 3yr $12 million deal to Marte back in November & the 1 yr $5 million to Wang a few days ago. But yea. The most ever spent in a single off season. Hendry of the Cubs had spent over $300 million after 2006 going into the '07 season.

PsychoTim
12-23-2008, 10:31 PM
The only folks arguing against a cap are, for the most part, Yankee fans or other large market fans. That should tell you most of what you need to know.

I've said it 1000 times. There is no credibility to the sport of baseball unless the ability to retain players, sign free agents, sign draft picks, and trade for salaries is equal. This is not a truly competitive league to watch if you're a fan.

And I'm so sick of people pointing out the Rays. Can you say 'fleeting'?

I'm a Red Sox fan and I'd welcome a cap, if it could be done right. Caps needs both ceilings and floors. There also needs to be other measure to help teams with less money/front office intelligence/etc. to compete (see my previous post).

I just don't know how you'd do a cap with the active 25 man roster, the 40 man roster, and all the minor league teams.

Had another idea - would changing contracts from guaranteed to non-guaranteed contracts (like the NFL) shift things for the better of MLB?

akagiredsuns
12-23-2008, 10:32 PM
Does anyone know what the yankees payroll would be the season started today with the exact lineup we have now?

It was $165 million for 15 players last I checked. So that means each player is averaging $11 million a year. Ridiculous. And they only get taxed $30 million for the luxury tax.

akagiredsuns
12-23-2008, 10:34 PM
I'm a Red Sox fan and I'd welcome a cap, if it could be done right. Caps needs both ceilings and floors. There also needs to be other measure to help teams with less money/front office intelligence/etc. to compete (see my previous post).

I just don't know how you'd do a cap with the active 25 man roster, the 40 man roster, and all the minor league teams.

Had another idea - would changing contracts from guaranteed to non-guaranteed contracts (like the NFL) shift things for the better of MLB?

No players would sign if its non-guaranteed. You can give an average bum an above average contract and if he plays like crap that one season you can then release him. The downside is the guaranteed money has to be paid. It will never fly. For superstar players the money has to be guaranteed or they won't play at all.

TradeAngelos
12-23-2008, 10:37 PM
Looks like a lot of Yankee fans had the balls to vote but did not comment to defend their posiotion.....Im shocked.Its tough to defend the indefensible and not sound like a complete fool.

I havent gone to a MLB game in 5 years and wont until there is a cap or some change in the way things are done.That said,I dont think I will ever be attending another game in the next 20 years.....or maybe ever.

Uncle Funster
12-23-2008, 10:37 PM
It was $165 million for 15 players last I checked. So that means each player is averaging $11 million a year. Ridiculous. And they only get taxed $30 million for the luxury tax.

And with the new stadium, will pay no Luxury Tax this year. All the pissants who put the money in their pockets for the Yankees every year (instead of reinvesting in their team as they are supposed to) will have to look for another sucker.

Tragedy
12-23-2008, 10:39 PM
And with the new stadium, will pay no Luxury Tax this year. All the pissants who put the money in their pockets for the Yankees every year (instead of reinvesting in their team as they are supposed to) will have to look for another sucker.
Wait, huh? How come the Yankees won't pay the luxury tax in 2009?

Bronx77
12-23-2008, 10:42 PM

and as it stands right now, they are $26 million dollars lower on payroll then they were last year.... a good sign in these times of recession.

they Yankees paid their $27 million luxury tax, they drop millions of dollars in revenue sharing... its not their fault they know how to run a business.

Bronx77
12-23-2008, 10:43 PM
Wait, huh? How come the Yankees won't pay the luxury tax in 2009?

their is some sort of loophole having to do with when you build a new stadium... im not sure where i saw it, but i have seen it numerous times... im not sure if its no luxury tax, or no revenue sharing they dont have to pay next year... but it is def. one of the 2...

ryanph30
12-23-2008, 10:44 PM
This is getting kind of ridiculous.

Impaler
12-23-2008, 10:45 PM
The Yankees make approximately 600 million dollars per year. They spend roughly 200 million on thier team. That is about 1/3 of their income. If this was your team, would you be screaming for a salary cap? NO!

Also if baseball did impose a salary cap what would the Yankees do with the players they have? Trade them for nothing? Or how about the Red Sox or Cubs? Trade away their players for nothing. What small market team will take on the contracts?

Salary Cap equals crap. It might level the field out a bit but the bottom bums will never spend even remotely close to what the cap limit would be. I prefer that we start to reduce the size of the league and get rid of AAA teams like Pittsburgh. Those teams are the problem with baseball, cellar dwelling for eternity so that other teams have a team to win against or stop a losing streak.

ruslan898
12-23-2008, 10:45 PM
Phillies ownership once looked as an ownership that is hesitant to spend a lot on free-agents. Eventually, the ownership realized that the organization needs to spend money to make money. Philadelphia wet out and signed Jim Thome. The Thome signingincreased the attendance, merchandise sales and corporate investment. There is a significant correlation between those factors. In my opinion, “small-market” teams need to invest into high profile players, well at least attempt to sign one. For example, last year the Royals gave Guillien $12 a year. My question is, why couldn’t they just add a few extra million and try to acquire a more reputable player? I certainly have tremendous respect for teams like Oakland, that have a huge turn around rate, and still perform relative well year after year.
Lets look at the Pirates, why do they always underperform? I’m relatively sure that they have enough money to sign some of their players to long term contracts, however, they never exercise that option.

LeoGetz
12-23-2008, 10:46 PM
and as it stands right now, they are $26 million dollars lower on payroll then they were last year.... a good sign in these times of recession.

they Yankees paid their $27 million luxury tax, they drop millions of dollars in revenue sharing... its not their fault they know how to run a business.

Exactly, its because of the Yankees that the cheap small market owners are able to have 6 homes & 15 cars. Instead of hating on the NYY everyone should be applauding them because they bring money into baseball.

nymetsrule
12-23-2008, 10:48 PM
Whoever hates the Yankees spending money is a socialist tool.

Who the **** cares how much money somebody spends? If they have the money, they can use it for how they want. You have no right in telling people how to spend money. Why does it have to be "fair"? "Fair" is a term used by people who are not as good as somebody else and who are sore losers. Its just as unfair to tell a team with a lot of money that they cannot spend it. Stop being *****es and suck it up. Capitalism is how it is here, leave it that way. :pity:

Lastcall
12-23-2008, 10:50 PM

Agreed this is getting ridiculous. The arguement is they do have the money and its their right to spend it how they see fit, but look what they are doing to baseball. By paying out so much money to these players they are driving up the market, making other players who otherwise, might not deserve a lucrative deal, more expensive, thus small market teams hardly have a chance to sign anyone at fair market value. The Yankees are ruining the game with their free spending. How can teams such as Oakland and Pittsburgh, expect to keep up, when their entire team payroll is what the Yankees pay 1 of their guys (give or take a few million depending which team we are talking about). I hope the Yanks fall flat on their face and I hope MLB does something besides tax them, cause at this rate, other teams that have money will be forced to spend freely as well and MLB could inevitably lose a team or 2, or more. I think the Yankees are spitting in the face of the economy and the United States, as well as baseball. The rest of America is trying to cut their losses and learn to budget, yet Hal Steinbrenner, who is starting to resemble George more and more, is willing to dish out all this fat cash cause god forbid, the organization build a team through their farm system.

nymetsrule
12-23-2008, 10:53 PM
Agreed this is getting ridiculous. The arguement is they do have the money and its their right to spend it how they see fit, but look what they are doing to baseball. By paying out so much money to these players they are driving up the market, making other players who otherwise, might not deserve a lucrative deal, more expensive, thus small market teams hardly have a chance to sign anyone at fair market value. The Yankees are ruining the game with their free spending. How can teams such as Oakland and Pittsburgh, expect to keep up, when their entire team payroll is what the Yankees pay 1 of their guys (give or take a few million depending which team we are talking about). I hope the Yanks fall flat on their face and I hope MLB does something besides tax them, cause at this rate, other teams that have money will be forced to spend freely as well and MLB could inevitably lose a team or 2, or more. I think the Yankees are spitting in the face of the economy and the United States, as well as baseball. The rest of America is trying to cut their losses and learn to budget, yet Hal Steinbrenner, who is starting to resemble George more and more, is willing to dish out all this fat cash cause god forbid, the organization build a team through their farm system.

So by capping the spending of teams you are telling players that they are unable to make more money than a certain amount? So what is their incentive to get better? If they cannot get larger contracts, why would they bother trying harder? You cannot limit the amount of money somebody makes in this country, that is a ridiculous and uneducated ideology some of you have.

PS: The more you spend, the better the economy. The Yankees are not hurting the economy or spitting in it, they are more likely HELPING it.

metfan4life775
12-23-2008, 10:54 PM

no need and i hate the yankees so much but they dropped 80mil this year and with all the money they spent so far there salary is still LOWER then it was last year

Rochesta
12-23-2008, 10:56 PM

Well, your minor-league payroll would have to be included in your cap number I guess, so that you could move players up and down without it making any difference towards the cap.

Non-guaranteed contracts would also help, so that small market teams could take a chance on big name players without having to worry that their entire franchise will be sunk if the guy has a TJ surgery. A franchise tag would also be beneficial, so that you could keep that star player for one more year if you think you're ready to contend.

This is a workable system. None of the other 3 sports have a Yankee franchise that can buy everyone every offseason.

ruslan898
12-23-2008, 10:58 PM
Agreed this is getting ridiculous. ]The rest of America is trying to cut their losses and learn to budget,

How is this relevant to MLB? Only financially unstable companies are trying to “cut their losses”. You’ve also mentioned that they’re spitting on America, or something of that nature. Actually, by increasing their payroll, they’re obligating themselves into paying more taxes. Additionally, MLB is a business. In business, a true competitor will also try to outdo the competition to achieve the optimal goal.

oak2455
12-23-2008, 10:58 PM
Looks like a lot of Yankee fans had the balls to vote but did not comment to defend their posiotion.....Im shocked.Its tough to defend the indefensible and not sound like a complete fool.

I havent gone to a MLB game in 5 years and wont until there is a cap or some change in the way things are done.That said,I dont think I will ever be attending another game in the next 20 years.....or maybe ever.

Who cares?? Really I'm a Yankee and posted a comment this has been going on for years and you know what invest in your team thats what the Yankees do and have done from the begining. I'm tired of people complaining, all they the Yankees do is invest in their team plus it in the rule so whats the problem:confused: Plus if John Henry wanted to get this done he could have, hes as cheap as them come wasnt he part of that Marlin Demise???:speechless: Trade them all??:confused:

Tragedy
12-23-2008, 10:59 PM
their is some sort of loophole having to do with when you build a new stadium... im not sure where i saw it, but i have seen it numerous times... im not sure if its no luxury tax, or no revenue sharing they dont have to pay next year... but it is def. one of the 2...
Interesting. Never heard of such a thing. Thanks for sharing.

Rochesta
12-23-2008, 10:59 PM
So by capping the spending of teams you are telling players that they are unable to make more money than a certain amount? So what is their incentive to get better? If they cannot get larger contracts, why would they bother trying harder? You cannot limit the amount of money somebody makes in this country, that is a ridiculous and uneducated ideology some of you have.

PS: The more you spend, the better the economy. The Yankees are not hurting the economy or spitting in it, they are more likely HELPING it.

So I guess CC would pass up on 120 million instead of 160 million? Because if not for baseball, he'd be working at Dunkin Doughnuts.

These guys don't really have a choice. Its either play baseball for less or punch the clock somewhere.

As an employer, I can tell somebody that they need to make less. They can either do it, or get lost. There's nothing un-American about that.

jacquewho?
12-23-2008, 11:00 PM
Whoever hates the Yankees spending money is a socialist tool.

Who the **** cares how much money somebody spends? If they have the money, they can use it for how they want. You have no right in telling people how to spend money. Why does it have to be "fair"? "Fair" is a term used by people who are not as good as somebody else and who are sore losers. Its just as unfair to tell a team with a lot of money that they cannot spend it. Stop being *****es and suck it up. Capitalism is how it is here, leave it that way. :pity:

Exactly. It's business and it's their choice to do this.

The only thing I don't like about this is that these people are getting paid soo much nowadays in every sport.

metfan4life775
12-23-2008, 11:01 PM

The yankees signing him is the best thing for MLB really all small market teams get money from the luxury tax. The yankees have spent LESS money this year on total annual salary then last year, it seems like alot since they did it soo close together that people are complaining

HOZ THE KNICK
12-23-2008, 11:04 PM
The yankees signing him is the best thing for MLB really all small market teams get money from the luxury tax. The yankees have spent LESS money this year on total annual salary then last year, it seems like alot since they did it soo close together that people are complaining
true

Rochesta
12-23-2008, 11:06 PM
Exactly, its because of the Yankees that the cheap small market owners are able to have 6 homes & 15 cars. Instead of hating on the NYY everyone should be applauding them because they bring money into baseball.

Well, who cares about equity amongst owners. There's no equity for the fans. Put a cap on, with a floor. Make it so the only thing hurting teams is mis-management, not a combination of poor management and low spending. I don't give a rat's *** about owners, make the sport better for the fans.

nymetsrule
12-23-2008, 11:11 PM
So I guess CC would pass up on 120 million instead of 160 million? Because if not for baseball, he'd be working at Dunkin Doughnuts.

These guys don't really have a choice. Its either play baseball for less or punch the clock somewhere.

As an employer, I can tell somebody that they need to make less. They can either do it, or get lost. There's nothing un-American about that.

I didn't say you can't pay people less money, but it is against our countries ways by telling people, "You cannot make above X amount of money." Once people have a limit to the amount of money they make, they will not try to improve themselves anymore because no matter how much harder they work they will still make the same.

One of the reasons Russia collapsed, just so you know.

MarlinsFan#2
12-23-2008, 11:11 PM
Why don't they just buy the free agent market for 5 billion dollars when their at it, it's assanine. Also now why do they keep buying talent and not produce it, that's the only way they win and why don't stop spending and use some of the money that they asked the city or state to pay, the 380 million dollars, not to mention Yankees but the World does'nt revolve around you. I'm a Marlins fan and im not complaining about cap room or anything and how the yankees spend so much but why do they have to keep spending instead of putting it into the stadium. I just don't understand!

nymetsrule
12-23-2008, 11:13 PM
Why don't they just buy the free agent market for 5 billion dollars when their at it, it's assanine. Also now why do they keep buying talent and not produce it, that's the only way they win and why don't stop spending and use some of the money that they asked the city or state to pay, the 380 million dollars, not to mention Yankees but the World does'nt revolve around you. I'm a Marlins fan and im not complaining about cap room or anything and how the yankees spend so much but why do they have to keep spending instead of putting it into the stadium. I just don't understand!

You don't understand because you are not a business owner. If you ever own a major business, and you have extra money to spend to improve yourself, you will want to.

Same goes for the Yankees.

nybigjg
12-23-2008, 11:15 PM
Actually, when the Yankees had their dynasty run in the mid 90's to 2000, their core was all home-grown: Jeter, Posada, Williams, Pettitte, Rivera, etc.

And now the Yankees have another nice home-grown core with FA superstars to compliment it.

ruslan898
12-23-2008, 11:15 PM
If a salary cap was placed, what would it be , $110mill ? In that case, small market teams would still not spend that amount on payroll. Also, the overall profit sharing would rapidly decrease, thus, these same small market teams will lose additional revenue…

MarlinsFan#2
12-23-2008, 11:16 PM
then why dont they use tha extra money to pay for the stadium? huh another mets fan hating on a marlin fan!

Rochesta
12-23-2008, 11:20 PM
I didn't say you can't pay people less money, but it is against our countries ways by telling people, "You cannot make above X amount of money." Once people have a limit to the amount of money they make, they will not try to improve themselves anymore because no matter how much harder they work they will still make the same.

One of the reasons Russia collapsed, just so you know.

So, when somebody comes in to my office for a job interview and demands 6 figures, and I say hell no, I'm contributing to the collapse of America?

If CC Sabathia was actually making 1 million last year, and could make 2 this year, he would have worked hard as hell to get 2. These guys are stinking overpayed. Somebody got to grow a spine and tell them that there's going to be a cap.

MarlinsFan#2
12-23-2008, 11:21 PM
i agree with you rochesta

oak2455
12-23-2008, 11:23 PM
So, when somebody comes in to my office for a job interview and demands 6 figures, and I say hell no, I'm contributing to the collapse of America?

If CC Sabathia was actually making 1 million last year, and could make 2 this year, he would have worked hard as hell to get 2. These guys are stinking overpayed. Somebody got to grow a spine and tell them that there's going to be a cap.

Ok thats great.....really no cap and you can spend as much as you wish:clap:

Dodgersfan4ever
12-23-2008, 11:25 PM
Actually, when the Yankees had their dynasty run in the mid 90's to 2000, their core was all home-grown: Jeter, Posada, Williams, Pettitte, Rivera, etc.

And now the Yankees have another nice home-grown core with FA superstars to compliment it.

Who is their home grown talent? Joba is the only one even to think about mentioning. Please don't say Cano, he is absalutely pathetic. And yes this move was smart for the Yankees because see how many bandwaganers will follow, the Yankees have the least true fans in the world. And you guys keep on saying that if you have the money spend it, how about give it back to the fans by lowering prices. The Yankees have the highest ticket prices in the league, how about lower those so people don't have to give a arm and a leg just to watch a game. The Yankees are a disgrace to the game of baseball, all the gm's should refuse to talk to them, and i am calling it Boston Red Sox will again finish ahead of you. And one last thing Cashman is not a good GM, someone said he made some good trades list it please. And don't say Arod, because he is the biggest choke in baseball.

bronxbombers427
12-23-2008, 11:26 PM
if it was your team spending the money would you want a cap?...

Rochesta
12-23-2008, 11:31 PM
Ok thats great.....really no cap and you can spend as much as you wish:clap:

Zzzzooooommmmmmmmmm! Over the head.

AirJordanXVIII
12-23-2008, 11:33 PM
W/e... Burnett was a mistake anyways.. not a mistake, but he was severely overpaid.

ccugrad1
12-23-2008, 11:34 PM
Here is an interesting stat to get people talking:

The Yankees infield (Posada, Tex, Cano, Jeter, and A-Rod) and the ace of their team (Sabathia) will account for more payroll than 21 MLB teams entire individual payrolls at this point.

Bosh=nextKG
12-23-2008, 11:36 PM
looks like the Yankees have shown everyone that a WS Championship, they just freaked out so bad cuz they had the highest payroll in all of baseball and still couldn't make the playoffs, IMO.

a_roid_3333
12-23-2008, 11:38 PM
either the mlb needs a cap, or make a system that allows more teams into the playoffs, either or would work imo

tomno00
12-23-2008, 11:47 PM
you know sometimes reuglation can be good for business. For instance, it could lead to lower prices on such things on food, gas, electricity, etc... i dont see why baseball would be any different. One could argue about success of small market teams such as the marlins and twins, but neither of those teams has the necessary resources to instanteously convert their team from mediorcracy to something better. Yankees, Red sox, White Sox, Angels, Phillies, Mets, Cubs, Dodgers, and a few others do. Building up a farm takes years and in the case of the rays, it took 10. Maintaining a good minor league system is even harder.

I believe a salary cap will bring economic equality that baseball needs. Sports should be decided on the talent of your players not by the size of a teams pockets. I think a salary cap would not only bring both economic and talent equality needed for good competition but it would bring fans back out to the ball parks and stadiums to entertain them. Isn't that the idea of sports in the first place?

quiksilver2491
12-23-2008, 11:48 PM

What is your point exactly? The Rays lost for a decade and collected top 5 picks every year, finally those players are turning into stars for them and they are a great team. No team is going to lose for that long to get good players.

Rosh
12-23-2008, 11:53 PM
payroll = penis size

Or perhaps the former compensates for the latter.

PsychoTim
12-23-2008, 11:54 PM
No players would sign if its non-guaranteed. You can give an average bum an above average contract and if he plays like crap that one season you can then release him. The downside is the guaranteed money has to be paid. It will never fly. For superstar players the money has to be guaranteed or they won't play at all.

So how come superstar players in the NFL continue to sign non-guarantee contracts and play at high levels (or risk being cut)?

Maybe, again making the parallel to the NFL, make a signing bonus or a portion of the contract guaranteed, might ease the pain/risk.

Lady's Man
12-23-2008, 11:57 PM
you know sometimes reuglation can be good for business. For instance, it could lead to lower prices on such things on food, gas, electricity, etc... i dont see why baseball would be any different. One could argue about success of small market teams such as the marlins and twins, but neither of those teams has the necessary resources to instanteously convert their team from mediorcracy to something better. Yankees, Red sox, White Sox, Angels, Phillies, Mets, Cubs, Dodgers, and a few others do. Building up a farm takes years and in the case of the rays, it took 10. Maintaining a good minor league system is even harder.

I believe a salary cap will bring economic equality that baseball needs. Sports should be decided on the talent of your players not by the size of a teams pockets. I think a salary cap would not only bring both economic and talent equality needed for good competition but it would bring fans back out to the ball parks and stadiums to entertain them. Isn't that the idea of sports in the first place?

yes!

you could have passionate royals fans and you could have passionate yankee fans, but at the end of the day only the passionate yankees fans are given what they want b/c they have unlimited resources. Its not fair and its not right imo. i know baseball is proud of its history, but come on guys this is just getting stupid. Level the playing field a little and give other teams at least somewhat of a chance. Lower the ticket prices and bring more fans to the ballparks.

Inferno50
12-24-2008, 12:05 AM
once all those great players from tampa bay or any other team get to free agency teams like the yankees and red sox will overpay them and take them away with the insane amount of money they spend on anyone.....the problem is that players that ask for 20 million dollars to play baseball not that there is no cap....the salaries should not exceed a certain amount of money....**** scott boras, its agents like him that have bad pitchers asking for a minimum of 10 mil a year.....now i saw something with the red sox wanting mauer in 2010, wow what are the twins going to do when the **** heads offer him 20 mil a year? its a terrible system that agents are taking advantage of, i dont get how it doesnt bother any higher ups that one player makes more than an entire team

DJYankee
12-24-2008, 12:19 AM
is just fittingly all the stars have to play in new york. i mean we have dominated this sport for most of the time so why add a cap now?

YanksNats1987
12-24-2008, 12:33 AM
I'll agree as a Yankee fan that the money spent is excessive, but if there ever is a cap then they will adjust. But as for now, they play by the rules.

Inferno50
12-24-2008, 12:37 AM
its not fitting if it takes away from the game, these contracts are ridiculous and no player should be payed as much as the yankees are going to pay...look at manny, lots of people want him on their team but nobody is offering what manny thinks manny is worth, so the yankees will just throw a dumb amount of money at him and he will go there...it wouldnt surprise me at all

mnrlgry
12-24-2008, 12:47 AM
heres a sport with no salary cap.....so I really dont see the problem:) There will not be a salary cap never.... So if you cant handle that then pick another sport because the teams that want to win will do what it takes!! P.S I'm not looking to pick a fight just saying what I think about this whole situation:)

There will be a salary cap for sure at some point. It's just a matter of time.

KC, Minny, Marlins, etc would not sign players like Tex, CC or Burnett. Those guys would've gone to Red Sox, Dodgers and Braves.

A salary cap helps those teams who spend alot but not in the same range as the Yankees. It is not going to make other owners spend more money, just make the Yankees spend less.

It will help teams KEEP their own talent. What you're too ignorant to realize is that when the Yankee's sign players to a contract 30-40 million dollars higher then everyone else they're raising the prices for EVERYONE else on the market. They're hurting smaller market teams by hording all of other team's home grown talent and by raising prices for free agents they'd like to sign.

This post reeks of stupidity. Steinbrenner makes money because he is in New York.

salary cap?

You mean give more money to the billionaire owners?

Their is already a luxury tax which the yankees pay to every other team. If anything their should be minimum payroll requirement.

Over half of the owners are actually LLC consortiums with just the largest investor being the figurehead owner. They're groups of investors who pool their money to own a team. In fact, there's very few billionaire owners in baseball.

By the way, don't bring up a luxury tax. The money the Yankees paid out to each team last year was less then 1 million apeice. Not exactly the half billion dollars the Yankees throw around in an off season.

ITS ABOUT BEING FAIR PEOPLE. Would you like it if Bill Gates decided to move a MLB team to new york and spent over 1 billion a year on it? (which would be comparable to what the Yankees are doing to other teams). These are sports this isn't a free market business empire. Each team should have a fair chance to win and they DO NOT in this current make up

NYYankeesWin#27
12-24-2008, 12:50 AM
becuz we have money, we shouldnt spend it? that makes no sense. anyways most gms have billions of dollars but choose 2 use it 4 themselves not 4 a team. what is so bad that our team wants 2 put a winning team out there?? and besides, baseball is a business!

oak2455
12-24-2008, 12:54 AM
Zzzzooooommmmmmmmmm! Over the head.

Ok........Listen I know its tough for you to understand but their is NO CAP:mad: So whats the problem....hmmm I know the Yankees signed Tex so I guess its not ok.... If it was any other team, we wouldnt be talking about anything:confused: They play by the rules.... New Stadium, Yes Network( worth about 4 billion) , and Merchandising if off the charts....So I ask if its not against the rules why is it not ok for the Yankees to invest in their OWN TEAM:confused: Tell other teams, owners when they make money to stop putting it all in their pockets:speechless: I'm pretty sure they(owners) are not your regular joe owning a team, its not like myself and some friends said let buy the Marlins...come on now stop your :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:GO YANKEES 27th Championship is coming:clap::clap::clap::clap:

1-800-STFU
12-24-2008, 12:54 AM
Amazing :) use :mad: of :( smileys :laugh2:

DJYankee
12-24-2008, 12:57 AM
Ok........Listen I know its tough for you to understand but their is NO CAP:mad: So whats the problem....hmmm I know the Yankees signed Tex so I guess its not ok.... If it was any other team, we wouldnt be talking about anything:confused: They play by the rules.... New Stadium, Yes Network( worth about 4 billion) , and Merchandising if off the charts....So I ask if its not against the rules why is it not ok for the Yankees to invest in their OWN TEAM:confused: Tell other teams, owners when they make money to stop putting it all in their pockets:speechless: I'm pretty sure they(owners) are not your regular joe owning a team, its not like myself and some friends said let buy the Marlins...come on now stop your :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:GO YANKEES 27th Championship is coming:clap::clap::clap::clap:

preach on my brother!!

oak2455
12-24-2008, 01:01 AM
There will be a salary cap for sure at some point. It's just a matter of time.

It will help teams KEEP their own talent. What you're too ignorant to realize is that when the Yankee's sign players to a contract 30-40 million dollars higher then everyone else they're raising the prices for EVERYONE else on the market. They're hurting smaller market teams by hording all of other team's home grown talent and by raising prices for free agents they'd like to sign.

This post reeks of stupidity. Steinbrenner makes money because he is in New York.

Over half of the owners are actually LLC consortiums with just the largest investor being the figurehead owner. They're groups of investors who pool their money to own a team. In fact, there's very few billionaire owners in baseball.

By the way, don't bring up a luxury tax. The money the Yankees paid out to each team last year was less then 1 million apeice. Not exactly the half billion dollars the Yankees throw around in an off season.

ITS ABOUT BEING FAIR PEOPLE. Would you like it if Bill Gates decided to move a MLB team to new york and spent over 1 billion a year on it? (which would be comparable to what the Yankees are doing to other teams). These are sports this isn't a free market business empire. Each team should have a fair chance to win and they DO NOT in this current make up

You know heres the funny part ,the Yankees way back when they were bought for nothing in the early 70's.....before and during that time they were horrible.......but it took time had a nice run in the late 70's then were competeive some what in th 80's and you know about the mid 90's to 2005...What I'm saying is King George built this team, Selig at the same time invested in a team in Seattle and you know that team went no where....He made this team to what it is today and can do from here on out:clap::clap::clap:

oak2455
12-24-2008, 01:05 AM
P.S GO YANKEES!!!!!!!!!:dance::dance::dance::dance::dance ::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

DJYankee
12-24-2008, 01:09 AM
P.S GO YANKEES!!!!!!!!!:dance::dance::dance::dance::dance ::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

woooooo 09 season can't wait!!!

oak2455
12-24-2008, 01:12 AM
woooooo 09 season can't wait!!!

Serious its going to be sick:jumpy::jumpy::jumpy::jumpy:

donkey66
12-24-2008, 01:46 AM
I have been reading here for many years and the debate over a cap is hardly a new concept. I am honestly happy for Yankee fans. They have ownership that is willing to do anything it can to improve their team and make it into the playoffs..........every year. They do this within the rules. I'm sure all fans of all teams would like to make the same claim.

To the fans of teams with low payrolls I say "soldier on lads and lasses. We have the Rays, Marlins, Rockies and d-backs as bright lights that overcame steep odds." Next year the Twins, Rangers or A's may find their way into the World Series. I hope that the Jays can find a way to compete as well. I wish that my team's owners would commit as the Yankees do. Some do and some don't. I can't hate Yankee ownership for putting all it can back into payroll. There is no reason to whine about it to Yankee fans.

To the fans of teams with high payrolls I say " feel fortunate and humble. Don't let your pride blind you to the realities of this debate." You must feel fortunate to pull for a team with lots of money and an owner who is willing to spend it. Please leave it there. The justifications for being OK with a system where one team has a payroll 4 or 5 times higher than most other teams aren't reasonable....period.

The MLB playing field isn't level, but it is what it is. I hope all fans of all teams can find a reason to cheer for their teams in 2009.

Uncle Funster
12-24-2008, 02:13 AM
Interesting. Never heard of such a thing. Thanks for sharing.

It is an incentive from MLB to build new stadiums.;) That is one of the major reasons for the spree. And they ain't done yet!

This is what John Henry was (as ESPN put it) "wimpering about poverty" in his e-mail today. He can't keep up with the revenue and incentives of the Yankees new park.

Tragedy
12-24-2008, 02:15 AM
It is an incentive from MLB to build new stadiums.;) That is one of the major reasons for the spree. And they ain't done yet!
Makes sense now....

Sometimes, everything comes together so easily like this.

BTownTeamsRKing
12-24-2008, 02:17 AM
buy everyone u want and the Red Sox and Rays will continue bringing prospects through the system and one of them will beat nyy.

go ahead buy a team, its only bc your scouting blows, your system is terrible, and if they didnt have the money the yankees would be at the level of the orioles.

yankees will have ZERO chemistry in the club house.

i still take would take Longoria, Upton, Crawford over any 3 in nyy.
i still take would take Pedroia, Youkilis, Ortiz over any 3 in nyy.

u like the hatred? fine i hope u love it bc its going to be in high gear.

Uncle Funster
12-24-2008, 02:19 AM
buy everyone u want and the Red Sox and Rays will continue bringing prospects through the system and one of them will beat nyy.

go ahead buy a team, its only bc your scouting blows, your system is terrible, and if they didnt have the money the yankees would be at the level of the orioles.

Yanks still have ALL of their prospects, too.;) Ouch!

BTownTeamsRKing
12-24-2008, 02:32 AM
Yanks still have ALL of their prospects, too.;) Ouch!

im not impressed with them. besides they will be traded before they ever see the field. your new owner is sending a clear message. NO REBUILDING. he is going to set a rediculous new mark in spending one day,

DJYankee
12-24-2008, 02:39 AM

um... you don't win a average of 97 games if theres no chemistry...in baseball wins built chemistry as in football or basketball chemistry built wins

Apophis
12-24-2008, 03:02 AM
What great news to wake up to,,, :dance:

Tragedy
12-24-2008, 03:05 AM
What great news to wake up to,,, :dance:
..It's 2:00am, how can you just be waking up?:speechless:

BTownTeamsRKing
12-24-2008, 03:07 AM
um... you don't win a average of 97 games if theres no chemistry...in baseball wins built chemistry as in football or basketball chemistry built wins

well we can argue it all u want, but ill just wait and see how it plays out.

bottom line: this is unfair. sure the Red Sox could have outbid them, but thats not the problem.

the problem is they bought 3 stars. no other team can do that. no one else. and u know wat? they arent done. they are getting Manny. he isnt going to the angels.

hoggin88
12-24-2008, 03:12 AM
I hate the Yankees...but only because of pure jealousy.

Although I guess I shouldn't talk. It's not like the Cubs franchise is gonna be going broke anytime soon.

GrinderBall41
12-24-2008, 03:18 AM
God dammit im sick of these polls.

Enough with the Yankee hating, already.

Every fan wishes their team went out and signed very good free agents and won 26 world championships.

So stop *****ing, jealous haters.

BTownTeamsRKing
12-24-2008, 03:26 AM

Every fan wishes their team went out and signed very good free agents and won 26 world championships.

honestly I DO NOT LIKE WINNING WITH FAs. believe it or not. i like a team that makes something out of nothing and turns junk to treasure. not one that buys everyhting in sight.

i get a lot more excited over young prospects, than a FA. Dice K and JD are cool, but Lester and Pedroia and Papelbon and Ellsbury are more fun to watch bc they are our product.

thats just me. i like the entrepreneur attitude

even in video games, i dont load my teams with FAs nearly as much as young talent bc its more fun to win with youth instead of overpriced players from the outside.

gcoll
12-24-2008, 03:30 AM

I'm not so much hating on the Yanks. And I've never been for a salary cap.

But it is something to talk about. They may even still sign Manny. Let's say hypothetically they sign Manny. That would mean that the top 2 starting pitching free agents, and the top 2 offensive free agents all signed with the same team.

That would be.....I'm not sure what the word is. I might grasp for "ridiculous" or something along those lines. Not "ridiculous, they shouldn't be allowed to do that" but "Wow. They signed everyone."

R. Johnson#3
12-24-2008, 03:42 AM

When all those contracts expire they'll be back to the drawing board.

Everyone who voted no is probably a Yankee/Red Sox/Mets fan.

GrinderBall41
12-24-2008, 03:44 AM
honestly I DO NOT LIKE WINNING WITH FAs. believe it or not. i like a team that makes something out of nothing and turns junk to treasure. not one that buys everyhting in sight.

i get a lot more excited over young prospects, than a FA. Dice K and JD are cool, but Lester and Pedroia and Papelbon and Ellsbury are more fun to watch bc they are our product.

thats just me. i like the entrepreneur attitude

even in video games, i dont load my teams with FAs nearly as much as young talent bc its more fun to win with youth instead of overpriced players from the outside.

But you wont give up the 2 World Series won by such stars as Beckett, Schilling, Ortiz, Manny, Damon, Lowell, and Orlando Cabrera.

BTownTeamsRKing
12-24-2008, 04:03 AM
But you wont give up the 2 World Series won by such stars as Beckett, Schilling, Ortiz, Manny, Damon, Lowell, and Orlando Cabrera.

Beckett was traded for so he wasnt bought. (hanley ramirez)
Lowell was a throw in, basically we had to take him so was considered trash

Damon was bought and then bought out lol.

Schilling was bought. no doubt
Manny was bought, but thats a core player who they kept for 7.5 years

Cabrera was traded for (nomar), not bought.

so fine damon, manny, and schill were bought. they were also bought in a span of 4-5 years.

Rochesta
12-24-2008, 05:15 AM

None of this had anything to do with what I was talking about, really.

JESUS. These big market guys, eh? They just cant stand the thought of competing man-to-man with the other teams.

zambo4president
12-24-2008, 06:40 AM
Stop ****ing *****ing about the Yankees and their money! Their spending money to put a good team out to compete. They arent cheap like everyone else. Why do you guys criticize them for spending money on putting together a good team. Everyone complains about how they buy their players, but everyone buys their players. Stop hatin the Yanks for spending money so they can keep a fan base and win.

zambo4president
12-24-2008, 06:52 AM
im not impressed with them. besides they will be traded before they ever see the field. your new owner is sending a clear message. NO REBUILDING. he is going to set a rediculous new mark in spending one day,

Your not impressed because your a hater.

BLOMETSFAN
12-24-2008, 06:58 AM
I hate the Yankees as much as any Mets fan, and I think that this year contracts are a little crazy, but you cant blame them for doing it because they arent doing anything wrong. Yeah it is crazy the amount of money they are spending, but if they want to spend it go right ahead. They havent won a championship since 2000, and they have been spending like crazy every year. I think these are actually some of the smarter contracts that the Yankees have ever signed so maybe they actually figured out how to buy a championship, or maybe the Rays and their sub 50 million payroll can take them out again

Tragedy
12-24-2008, 08:51 AM
Beckett was traded for so he wasnt bought. (hanley ramirez)
Lowell was a throw in, basically we had to take him so was considered trash

Damon was bought and then bought out lol.

Schilling was bought. no doubt
Manny was bought, but thats a core player who they kept for 7.5 years

Cabrera was traded for (nomar), not bought.

so fine damon, manny, and schill were bought. they were also bought in a span of 4-5 years.
Just a quick FYI - Schilling was a trade as well. I'm not saying I agree or disagree with your logic, just that, if Cabrera/Lowell/Beckett were not "bought", then you could put Schilling in the same argument.

Fred
12-24-2008, 08:54 AM
1. Getting the top FA pitcher on the market? Excellent move
2. Getting another very good pitcher to bolster the rotation? Nice move
3. Getting the top offensive player in FA? Excellent move
4. Spending $423m (so far) and not making the playoffs? Priceless

Tragedy
12-24-2008, 09:29 AM
1. Getting the top FA pitcher on the market? Excellent move
2. Getting another very good pitcher to bolster the rotation? Nice move
3. Getting the top offensive player in FA? Excellent move
4. Spending $423m (so far) and not making the playoffs? Priceless
They already missed the Playoffs? That is unbelievable. I know they're currently set at 0 wins, but that doesn't mean much.

yanksforlife
12-24-2008, 09:31 AM
well we can argue it all u want, but ill just wait and see how it plays out.

bottom line: this is unfair. sure the Red Sox could have outbid them, but thats not the problem.

the problem is they bought 3 stars. no other team can do that. no one else. and u know wat? they arent done. they are getting Manny. he isnt going to the angels.

quit your whining. if the sox spent like the yanks do (which they pretty much do pal) then i guarantee all you boston fans would be telling everybody else to shut the f up. so mind your business it's a free country

yanksforlife
12-24-2008, 09:32 AM
it's not our fault we're from a far superior city and that being said we deserve more

you got all these dodgie fans crying out "we as dodger fans deserve a championship." yeah right you deserve a championship your stadium's half empty all the time

of course the sox will sell out every game... who can't sell out a 30,000 seat stadium? and when you guys bragged about having the highest team batting avg in the mlb in what 2004 (?) and if any other team had the green monster to bounce balls off of 81 games a year that would be caught in every other stadium around the league then yeah i'd expect high averages from the red sox... so how are you guys being fair you freakin cheaters? you hide behind the yanks payroll and point fingers while you brag about sell outs and high averages. CHEATIN SNAKES

in the mlb, there aint a cap so quit your damn whining cus i doubt (mr steinbrenner) da boss is listening and if he is, i doubt he cares.

YankeeFan28
12-24-2008, 09:36 AM
:laugh2:

redbird89
12-24-2008, 11:53 AM
A cap would be nice, but obviously you can't start it immediately. Give a couple years for salaries to expire, otherwise the Yankees would be trying to get rid of a bunch of players nobody else but the Red Sox can afford to pay.

algreek3
12-24-2008, 12:04 PM
Yankees salary:

People that came off the books this year!!!!

Abreu - $15,000,000
Giambi- $23,000,000
Pavano- $10,000,000
Pettite- $16,000,000
Mussina- $11,000,00

Thats $75,000,000 total

Pickups:

Texeira: $22,500,000 a year
Sebathia: $23,00,000 a year
Burnett: $16,500,000 a year
Marte : $4,000,000 a year

TOTAL: $66,000,000 a year!!!!!

What is all the rift raft about? They didnt add any salary. Just REPLACED it. What did u want them to do? Hold the money?!?!?!

They still have a few million to spend to catch last years salaries

Yankeefan94
12-24-2008, 12:17 PM
:cry:

ccugrad1
12-24-2008, 12:41 PM
As I said before, I think MLB needs something where teams have to spend "x" amount of dollars on payroll for their franchise. I don't discount that and I for one do not see any problems with the Yankees spending the resources they have. If you can't put 60 million into your payroll to field a team, you have no business owning one.

But the problem with free agency in MLB, as compared to the NFL, is this:

1) With escalating salaries as they are, it forces too many teams to pawn off good talent that they know they have no chance of re-signing and even as top players hit free agency, most teams know they have no chance of signing any of them. You saw that with Colorado and Matt Holliday and that is why I never understood Oakland trading what they did for him. Does anyone honestly believe we will see him in an A's uniform on opening day of 2010?

Say what you want to, but was it not a miracle that the Marlins re-signed Hanley Ramirez for 6 years and the Rays re-signed Kazmir for 3 years? Tell me honestly that the Rays and Marlins had ANY chance of re-signing either of these guys had they hit free agency? Kazmir would have been at the top of the Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs, Dodgers, Phillies, and Angels lists, so Tampa could kiss him goodbye. And Ramirez would have, if for nothing else, been at the top of the Red Sox, Cubs, and Angels list, and Florida could have kissed him goodbye because they would never be able to compete financially.

Take this years "top" free agents-- CC Sabathia, AJ Burnett, Derek Lowe, Mark Texiera, and Manny Ramirez. Let's face facts, every team in MLB could use any of those top 3 pitchers. But do you hear teams like the Pirates, Marlins, Nationals, Royals, Twins, A's, just to name a couple in ANY of the discussions? No you don't. Even if the Marlins payroll was set at 65 million, Adding a Sabathia at his demands would account for 1/3+ of the payroll. The only teams you hear in discussions for ALL of the "top" free agents are the Yankees, Red Sox, Angels, Mets, Cubs, and Dodgers. And don't kid yourself about the Orioles and Nationals in the Tex sweepstakes; that was down to the Yankees, Angels, or Red Sox.

I don't think you can say the same thing when it comes to the NFL Free Agency. Unless you are in "cap hell," you really do not have any idea where the top free agents are going. All teams are involved if the player fits a need for their team. Take guard Alan Faneca-- 3 teams involved with him were the Jets, Rams, and 49ers.

The top teams like Indy, New England, NY Giants, just to name a couple aren't gobbling up every top free agent that is available. All teams have a chance. I don't think you can say that in MLB. A certain few teams gobble up the big free agents, and everyone is left to fight for the ones "they don't want."

ricomactaco
12-24-2008, 12:51 PM
The yankees have done what they needed to in an enviornment which allows the highest revenue team to have the best opportunity to win. Despite having the best opportunity, we've seen that doesn't always mean they will win. There does need to be a salary cap in baseball for it to become a more legitimate game. When one team can have such a huge advantage it takes away from the game. The argument I always hear from folks who don't want a salary cap is "baseball is a business". True, but so is basketball and football and in those leagues there is a more even playing field for all teams to field a competitive team. All the hate for Scott Boris is ludicrous too. The guy is the best in the game at getting the most cash for his man. No hate for the Yankees other than them being our rival ( I'm a sox fan). Just would like to see a cap as in other sports to legitimize baseball as a true "sport".

CaughtStealin
12-24-2008, 01:11 PM
MLB's antitrust exemption needs to be removed.

If we do not get a cap existing owners should not have a voice in the location of other franchises. The biggest problem with the Yankees is they and the Mets get to keep an enormous population base to themselves. Another team in NY or NJ would eventually cut into Yankee tv revenue and level the field for everyone. A team like the Marilins should be moved from a city that does not support baseball and relocated to NY.

Pedroia
12-24-2008, 01:28 PM
Yankees salary:

People that came off the books this year!!!!

Abreu - $15,000,000
Giambi- $23,000,000
Pavano- $10,000,000
Pettite- $16,000,000
Mussina- $11,000,00

Thats $75,000,000 total

Pickups:

Texeira: $22,500,000 a year
Sebathia: $23,00,000 a year
Burnett: $16,500,000 a year
Marte : $4,000,000 a year

TOTAL: $66,000,000 a year!!!!!

What is all the rift raft about? They didnt add any salary. Just REPLACED it. What did u want them to do? Hold the money?!?!?!

They still have a few million to spend to catch last years salaries

Not so fast. You're forgetting to add Pettitte (probably) back on. Pettitte @ $10 mil (conservative figure)= $76 mil added, $75 mil of the books. I agree they replaced salary but remember to tell the whole truth. ;)

Run Gardner Run
12-24-2008, 01:33 PM
Not so fast. You're forgetting to add Pettitte (probably) back on. Pettitte @ $10 mil (conservative figure)= $76 mil added, $75 mil of the books. I agree they replaced salary but remember to tell the whole truth. ;)

Take 7 million off because Sabathia is only making 14M this season

Pedroia
12-24-2008, 01:41 PM
Take 7 million off because Sabathia is only making 14M this season

OK fair enough. I was using greek's numbers.

BTownTeamsRKing
12-24-2008, 02:27 PM
quit your whining. if the sox spent like the yanks do (which they pretty much do pal) then i guarantee all you boston fans would be telling everybody else to shut the f up. so mind your business it's a free country

amazing how u think u know what i would want. WRONG. i dont want to win with all FAs. thats stupid. those arent your players. a few of em are good to have, but not the whole team.

besides even if the yankees win it all, no one around the country will care bc everyone knows it was bought and not developed.

as of ive said I will take Pedroia, Lester, Papelbon, and Youkilis over any 4 the yankees have. These are players the Red Sox built and have a real connection to their team. unlike that bunch of money makers thrown together and told to go be a team.

BTownTeamsRKing
12-24-2008, 02:31 PM
Just a quick FYI - Schilling was a trade as well. I'm not saying I agree or disagree with your logic, just that, if Cabrera/Lowell/Beckett were not "bought", then you could put Schilling in the same argument.

your right, i forgot, it was gettin late. i dont know about u, but ill take our young core over anything the Yankees can buy. not to mention we still have A quality prospects ready to come up. Lars Anderson, if he is what the scouts are saying he is, will make us forget teixeixa very quickly.

Lady's Man
12-24-2008, 02:42 PM
there needs to be a cap. And please yankee fans stop acting like you're true capatilists. most of you probably voted for, or supported, obama.

TallicaFan87
12-24-2008, 02:44 PM
amazing how u think u know what i would want. WRONG. i dont want to win with all FAs. thats stupid. those arent your players. a few of em are good to have, but not the whole team.

besides even if the yankees win it all, no one around the country will care bc everyone knows it was bought and not developed.

as of ive said I will take Pedroia, Lester, Papelbon, and Youkilis over any 4 the yankees have. These are players the Red Sox built and have a real connection to their team. unlike that bunch of money makers thrown together and told to go be a team.

LOL, you keep going on and on about the Red Sox chemistry and "brotherhood". All you've been talking about the last two days is the Red Sox connection to their team and the Yankees being all hired guns.

I'd say the Yankees have a pretty strong connection with Jeter, Posada and Rivera no? I mean 10+ years on the same team together seems like a pretty good connection in my mind.

Are you gonna say the same thing about the Red Sox years down the line when all four of those guys are making big money?

DJYankee
12-24-2008, 02:46 PM

Just to let you know our current team has more homegrown product than free agents so i don't see how the whole team is free agents.

DJYankee
12-24-2008, 02:48 PM
there needs to be a cap. And please yankee fans stop acting like you're true capatilists. most of you probably voted for, or supported, obama.

there was no need to bring that up... And Im hoping you didn't mean it in that way. AND HELL YEA I SUPPORTED OBAMA!!!!

Lady's Man
12-24-2008, 02:53 PM
there was no need to bring that up... And Im hoping you didn't mean it in that way. AND HELL YEA I SUPPORTED OBAMA!!!!

what way did you think i meant it?

im simply saying most people voted for the one that supported more regulation in the business world. last time i checked, baseball is a business.. or at least thats what most people are saying.

so how can you sit here and say that you should be able to do whatever you want with your money when you voted for somebody that wants to control what you do with it...or least control it more than what the other candidate wanted..?

Fred
12-24-2008, 03:01 PM
They already missed the Playoffs? That is unbelievable. I know they're currently set at 0 wins, but that doesn't mean much.

Just speculating my friend, just speculating....$200m+ didn't get them the WS last year....

DJYankee
12-24-2008, 03:05 PM
That and the fact that Teixeira apparently was reluctant to sign with the Red Sox, according to a baseball source, led Boras back to the Yankees late last week and again on Monday night in a conversation that led to Cashman seizing the opportunity and negotiating a deal Tuesday.

At the end the Sox were believed to have raised their $170million offer, but Teixeira was said to prefer playing for the Yankees. Whether it was because of a long-standing grudge with the Sox, going back to them drafting him out of high school, or a fear of the Boston fishbowl existence, baseball people felt it was a factor in his decision.

If that turned out to be a break for the Yankees, Cashman was quick to capitalize.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2008/12/23/2008-12-23_yankees_reach_preliminary_agreement_on_e.html?p age=1

Funny teixeira didn't want to sign with Bos. anyways

Lady's Man
12-24-2008, 03:07 PM
Just speculating my friend, just speculating....$200m+ didn't get them the WS last year....

im tired of hearing this argument. its not about whether they make it to the WS. its about whether the team will be competitive. And those who have money most assurably will be more competitve than those who dont.

Fred
12-24-2008, 03:10 PM
im tired of hearing this argument. its not about whether they make it to the WS. its about whether the team will be competitive. And those who have money most assurably will be more competitve than those who dont.

but in NY, that is how they measure success....

elizur
12-24-2008, 03:23 PM
This does not mean anything. Cashman is a garbage G.M. and these players are not all gonna be perfect signings for as many years and dollars committed. I do not want to hear Yankee fans crying about injuries in the middle of the season. You just signed A.J Burnett who never is healthy and has only won more then 12 games once,last year.(his career era is 3.81,not too good) C.C. was a beast with the Brewers,the national league...He was suspect with the indians in the beginning of last year. Hes overweight. Your outfield is pretty old with Damon,Matsui. then not good with Cabrera,Swisher,Gardner. I dont think the Yankees are the class in the league now. So many things need to go perfect. and to have Arod hit in the clutch.ha

MattColby
12-24-2008, 03:26 PM
It pisses me off, I hate the Yankees. At the same time, if I was building a business, and had more money then I knew what to do with, Yes, I would dump it into my business, to make it the best it could be. Can you blame them? I understand it. I just sit back, and hope it fails, and then laugh at them when it does. When it doesn't, I puke.

DJYankee
12-24-2008, 03:38 PM
This does not mean anything. Cashman is a garbage G.M. and these players are not all gonna be perfect signings for as many years and dollars committed. I do not want to hear Yankee fans crying about injuries in the middle of the season. You just signed A.J Burnett who never is healthy and has only won more then 12 games once,last year.(his career era is 3.81,not too good) C.C. was a beast with the Brewers,the national league...He was suspect with the indians in the beginning of last year. Hes overweight. Your outfield is pretty old with Damon,Matsui. then not good with Cabrera,Swisher,Gardner. I dont think the Yankees are the class in the league now. So many things need to go perfect. and to have Arod hit in the clutch.ha

you just wasted your time on posting that garbage, If any other teams would of done that you wouldn't be saying that so stop complaining because the best team got the best players while your team had the same chance of getting these players. Accept that we have a great team to do something. Instead of saying a-rod not clutch, cc overweight, damon old, please is already getting old

IBleedPurple
12-24-2008, 04:04 PM
you just wasted your time on posting that garbage, If any other teams would of done that you wouldn't be saying that so stop complaining because the best team got the best players while your team had the same chance of getting these players. Accept that we have a great team to do something. Instead of saying a-rod not clutch, cc overweight, damon old, please is already getting old

It will take wins to be a great team. The way things looked last year, it will take a vast improvement from Joe Girardi to keep the team headed in the right direction. That being said, the Yanks are definitely the favorites. They have the stadium now, and just bought another half of a stadiums worth of players.

R. Johnson#3
12-24-2008, 04:41 PM
I obviously voted for a salary cap but not entirely just to even out the competition. Look at the situation. In the 90's if you were top of the line player you got 10-15 mil. Now you get 20-30 mil. It's going to get out of hand and before you know it hundreds of millions of dollars will go towards team payrolls.

Soon enough low market teams like the Marlins will be extinct. You won't be able to survive unless your team has a $100 000 000 payroll. Yes you may build up a great team of prospects but then when their contracts expire it's back to square one. Those teams will never keep attendance up and will eventually have to be moved or gotten rid of all together. I want a cap put in place not to even out the competition but to keep the competition alive.

ccugrad1
12-24-2008, 04:56 PM
I obviously voted for a salary cap but not entirely just to even out the competition. Look at the situation. In the 90's if you were top of the line player you got 10-15 mil. Now you get 20-30 mil. It's going to get out of hand and before you know it hundreds of millions of dollars will go towards team payrolls.

Soon enough low market teams like the Marlins will be extinct. You won't be able to survive unless your team has a $100 000 000 payroll. Yes you may build up a great team of prospects but then when their contracts expire it's back to square one. Those teams will never keep attendance up and will eventually have to be moved or gotten rid of all together. I want a cap put in place not to even out the competition but to keep the competition alive.

I will agree 100% with you on that. People can argue what they want to about any and everything, but when you know good and well that it will take 22-24 million a year to sign Sabathia and Texieria, don't anyone in these forums say every team has a chance to sign them. Once you even mention those numbers, 98% of MLB is out the window.

Let's look back at last year's trade with Johan Santana: If all we were talking about is the "prospects" that it would take to get Johan Santana, teams even as far down as the Marlins, Pirates, Reds, just to name a couple could have blew the Mets offer out of the water.

But now start mentioning the fact that Johan Santana wants a 6 year deal worth 130+ million dollars, and it eliminates, like Sabathia and Texieria, minimumly 98% of baseball. Even if the Marlins payroll was at a respectable 80 million, he still would account for 1/4+ of their payroll.

And mark my words, next off-season when Matt Holliday is on the market, who are going to be the major players for him and his 6-8 package worth 22-24 million per season?

It sure isn't going to be the Marlins, Pirates, or Reds, even if payrolls are bumped up another 30 million from what they are now.

It will all center around the Yankees, Red Sox, Angels, Cubs, and Dodgers.

People can say what they want, but when you hear guys like Oliver Perez and Derek Lowe talking 14-17 million per season, baseball contracts have gotten too far out of hand.

elizur
12-24-2008, 04:59 PM

The best team? Did they win the worldseries last year?Did they even make the playoffs like the Redsox and Rays. please give me a break. And I said nothing about the Yankees spending too much ,I just commented on the individual players. Its not out of line to think that Burnett has only won more then 12 games once with not a great ERA. How can you deny Damon being old? or C.C. being less then 300 pounds.

DJYankee
12-24-2008, 05:16 PM
The best team? Did they win the worldseries last year?Did they even make the playoffs like the Redsox and Rays. please give me a break. And I said nothing about the Yankees spending too much ,I just commented on the individual players. Its not out of line to think that Burnett has only won more then 12 games once with not a great ERA. How can you deny Damon being old? or C.C. being less then 300 pounds.

Well put it this way a great franchise. Yea we may have a couple few problems but is not going to stop us to do something special in 09 these players also have great upside, every team has a problem. Im just tired with every new player that comes in here somebody has to say something negative when the flip side other teams wanted these players also. Whatever team you root for im sure they have problems but you don't see us bashing them....