PDA

View Full Version : OJ Mayo's demeanor on the court

MoBASS
12-23-2008, 02:21 PM
They say the best way to play basketball is to completely stop thinking once you step foot on the court.

I'll admit I started out a hater because I went to UCLA, but I finally got my first in-depth look of OJ Mayo yesterday in his game against the Lakers, and I gotta say... this guy is a stone-cold ballplayer.

I haven't seen a rookie this cool, calm, and collected on a basketball court in quite some time.

He was matched up against Kobe, and throughout the game he looked like he was in this crazy zone, like there was no one else on the court or in the stands. His demeanor exuded confidence.

David Thorpe sums it up best:

Composure is one of Mayoís biggest strengths. And most of the time, composure in a player results from genuine confidence. Genuine confidence, as opposed to the type of confidence that is merely a shell covering insecurities, is born of hard work and successful practices and games.

This guy will be a premier scorer in this league.

BTownTeamsRKing
12-23-2008, 02:48 PM
Good Trade Minnesota!!!!!!!! Mayo is a star in the making.

29$JerZ
12-23-2008, 02:52 PM
^^ Minnesota dumped a bunch of bad contract on Memphis but yeah that trade was bad.

fresh prince
12-23-2008, 02:56 PM
Noticed how chill he was last night too... Good call.. Brandon Roy has that same demeanor.

Oj is going to kill it..no pun intended

jimbobjarree
12-23-2008, 03:06 PM
still Love looks ok, not getting why they got Miller though...did they really think they were going to compete straight away. shudda kept mayo and gone after griffin next year..as they will probably have a top 5 pickk again

what54!?
12-23-2008, 03:12 PM
He can flat out ball. Memphis made a good move in getting him. When/If he learns to pass the ball more he'll be a superstar in this league someday.

_Sn1P3r_
12-23-2008, 03:20 PM
Mayo got game for sure. He will be exciting to watch for upcoming years.

nalej85
12-23-2008, 03:45 PM
Noticed how chill he was last night too... Good call.. Brandon Roy has that same demeanor.

Oj is going to kill it..no pun intended

HAHAHA.....LMFAO..best joke of December by far...Yea, I can see definite similarities in Mayo and Roy...How ironic that Mayo and Roy were both traded from Minnesota on draft nights....I almost forgot Ray Allen was drafted by Minnesota as well but traded for Marbury in '96 draft....Then Allen and Garnett team up in Boston and win..Hmmm... Its a wonder that Kevin Mchale has kept his job this long, he's gotta have some type of dirt on the owner!!!! LOL..

DJ Dimes
12-23-2008, 03:54 PM
I'll put money on the fact that OJ will get the heck out of Memphis the minute his rookie contract expires. He's going to be a beast though. He has All star potential written all over him

Cavs_Fan24
12-23-2008, 04:06 PM
OJ Mayo is phenomenal. He'll be a top 10 player in the NBA within 2-3 years IMO.

Big Quett
12-23-2008, 04:06 PM
^^ Minnesota dumped a bunch of bad contract on Memphis but yeah that trade was bad.

Not really we got Antoine walker and Greg buckner and Marko and his wife. Walker and buckner both have team termination options on there contract this year. That is why we waived Walker. Marko's deal is the only one i hate its about 7mil for this year and the next 2.

And Minny got Mike Miller and Brian Cardinal both of there deals have this year and the next on them.

Brian Cardinal $6,300,000 and $6,750,000

Mike Miller $9,000,000 and $9,750,000

Not bad for Memphis in my opinion. And plus we got the best player in Mayo:D

Big Quett
12-23-2008, 04:09 PM
I'll put money on the fact that OJ will get the heck out of Memphis the minute his rookie contract expires. He's going to be a beast though. He has All star potential written all over him

Why does everyone assume everybody will leave Memphis when there rookie contracts are up? By the time he is up for an extension we will be good again and he will sign. What other proof do people have of us not resigning players?

Joshtd1
12-23-2008, 04:19 PM
I always liked Mayo in college, but the when I saw him playing in the NBA level, I was super impressed. He just looks like he never gets shook out on the court.

superkegger
12-23-2008, 05:35 PM
Man, I finally got to watch him last night too, and damn, the kid can ball. Like already said, he was going up against Kobe, and that can be intimidating, but the dude was a stone cold killer out there. I loved his game since highschool and never thought his "antics" or whatever were a big deal. He's showing now that he's a straigt baller. I said he could eventually be as good as Kobe before the season started, and he's sure looking like he can.

NYMetros
12-23-2008, 05:41 PM
Mayo better win the rookie of the year award this season. He probably won't though, as he plays in a very small market, where as Rose plays in a big city, Chicago. Mayo has the potential to be a superstar. He's got the shot, passing ability ball handling skills, everything.

FlawlessKB24
12-23-2008, 06:00 PM
he's got swag
he's a special player

kvrnm
12-23-2008, 06:16 PM
mayo for roy

xxdc2tegxx
12-23-2008, 06:30 PM
looks like a allstar veteran sg already...liked him since his college days...and although a couple years older than rose, beasley, gordon, etc etc this dude can str8 up hoop

btw this is coming a chicagoan and a HUGE DROSE fan...it bw these two guys only--for roy

I think Rose is gonna take it not from bias but because the bulls will be in the playoff and derrick rose assists numbers should be 7.5-8.0 come springtime

op12
12-23-2008, 06:47 PM
if mayo and gay stay in memphis and conley and/or gasol turns out decent, they could be a good team in the future

fresh prince
12-23-2008, 07:23 PM
if mayo and gay stay in memphis and conley and/or gasol turns out decent, they could be a good team in the future

I think they are pretty damm good now. I mean they wont make the playoffs or anything but I definitley plan to ride them a few times to cover and upset some favored teams...

Hellcrooner
12-23-2008, 07:50 PM
The best thing is not to think???? man now i understadn why people despieses euros.

By the way not thinkg and not passing is what Gay does, thats why he will be given th eboot and mayo will have his fat resigning offer on the table for memphis.

Hellcrooner
12-23-2008, 07:52 PM
and about the playooffs,,, if by some miracle they landed boozer inthe ofseason not only would they make playoffs but probably get to second round. Conley third year Lowry fourht, Marc second year arthur second year, Mayo second year and a legit threat inside who they CANT deny the ball ( as they deny it to Darko and Marc) man that would be great.

In fact i think that an Odom yes Odom could put them in the mix.

Bullsfan22
12-23-2008, 07:53 PM
i have to give mayo his props the guy is going to be a scoring champion someday. I likes oj mayo in college and would have taken the third pick and took mayo without hesitating.

JOSETHEALLSTAR
12-23-2008, 07:55 PM
he is a beast

Sport
12-23-2008, 08:15 PM
I was hoping Mayo would be a bust. The Wolves didnt get ripped off that bad. Dumping bad contracts and Kevin Love isnt terrible. He ll grow.

BTownTeamsRKing
12-24-2008, 03:00 AM
lol forgot minny traded B Roy. damn get Big Al some good help!!!