PDA

View Full Version : Kobe rebuilds his image

Shaq back 2 L.A
12-23-2008, 02:09 PM
this is a kobe thread and people are gonna say this belongs in the lakers forum but i just wanted to post it in the nba forum because i wanted u people(who hate or love kobe) 2 see who he really is!

http://www.nola.com/hornets/t-p/index.ssf?/base/sports-3/1230013218224160.xml&coll=1&thispage=1

ink
12-23-2008, 02:16 PM
I agree with the OP, and any Kobe hate will be deleted, with the additional bonus of an infraction. :D We used to shut down Kobe threads because they just led to bickering. I think we can handle a Kobe thread like this one.

In the seasons following the rape trial I absolutely could not stand Kobe Bryant, but credit where credit is due, he has earned his respectability back and then some. I've been amazed by his maturity and his ability to transform himself as a player.

I'll be honest, he's still not my favourite player, but I have a huge amount of respect for what he's done in the last few seasons. He's a different player, and he realizes he's not bigger than the Lakers anymore. That's just one lesson he learned. You're never bigger than the team, and especially when it's a team with a heritage like the Lakers have.

Shaq back 2 L.A
12-23-2008, 02:24 PM
^^ ink i 100% agree with u!!!!! by the way how do u get a comment from someone else and post it on urs and comment on that other comment!

Hawkeye15
12-23-2008, 02:28 PM
It does go to show you, many fans, including myself, unfairly hold these 24 year old kids to very high standards. Maybe it is because young kids idolize them, and the amount of money they make should dictate that they always be on their best behavior, but they are real people who make mistakes, and grow up like everyone else. The rape trial really hurt his image badly. His comments about Bynum, and some others have done the same thing. But the fact is, he seems to be a great teammate, and willing to personally give up things to win at this point. The way he acted in Beijing showed me that he truly is a leader, and one of the positive faces of the NBA.
Still won't root for him though, but at least I respect the dude now

ink
12-23-2008, 02:29 PM
^^ ink i 100% agree with u!!!!! by the way how do u get a comment from someone else and post it on urs and comment on that other comment!

Click "quote" and the quoted comment appears in the message box.

Hawkeye15
12-23-2008, 02:29 PM

hit the quote tab

Shaq back 2 L.A
12-23-2008, 02:59 PM
hit the quote tab

thanks

Shaq back 2 L.A
12-23-2008, 02:59 PM
back to the topic now

SteveNash
12-23-2008, 03:08 PM
Meanwhile, Jackson said Bryant's maturation has helped the player and the team. Bryant, who is averaging 25.8 points, 5.4 rebounds and 4.2 steals, has learned to trust his teammates.

He should really have the DPOY locked up by now.

Doesn't change my views much on Kobe as a person. He's clearly the best player in the league right now, but he still seems to have a standoffish personality and going through media training to improve your image doesn't mean you've really changed as a person, just that you've managed to change public perception.

petski
12-23-2008, 03:09 PM
Kobe is all grown up now. Everyone has to agree, when you are compared to Michael Jordan we as people can see how one might think they are bigger than the team. Being compared to the greatest player is a tuff thing to live up to with the pressure that comes with it. I think Kobe's reputation too big too fast and it went to his head. But he is human and the attention would get to more people than it would not.

I was always a Kobe fan but on and off the court for so many years he would try to be someone he is not.(rapping on a brian mcknight song and sticking his tougue out like MJ to thinking he is better than the best player on the lakers which was shaq before he was traded to the heat.) But after all that said, we all could ask who is the real kobe bryant? We are begining to see who he is and it is real exciting to watch.

I really hope the Cavs and Lakers make the Finals this year. Kobe vs Lebron would be the best championship series since Michael's last year with the bulls.

bostncelts34
12-23-2008, 03:14 PM
He should really have the DPOY locked up by now.

Doesn't change my views much on Kobe as a person. He's clearly the best player in the league right now, but he still seems to have a standoffish personality and going through media training to improve your image doesn't mean you've really changed as a person, just that you've managed to change public perception.

I dont agree with the DPOY remark. He is a great defender. But steals do not make a good defender, because the chances players in general take to jump a passing lane, results in an easy basket more than a steal.

But back to the original topic. Kobe has definitly rebuilt his image. You cant just say he did it though. You have to give great credit to his imagine consultant and all that publicity stuff and people that went through great efforts to help him. But kobe definitly put in the effort he needed to do it. Still hate him, but i respect his game.

Lakersho
12-23-2008, 03:25 PM
kobes,cool . most people just hate the lakers,and hes head of our demon... hes matured nicely...

SteveNash
12-23-2008, 03:29 PM
I dont agree with the DPOY remark. He is a great defender. But steals do not make a good defender, because the chances players in general take to jump a passing lane, results in an easy basket more than a steal.

The record for steals per game is 3.67 by Alvin Robertson, and he was a great defender. If Kobe gets 4.2 he should be the DPOY.

what54!?
12-23-2008, 03:30 PM
Kobe has done nicely re-building is image from 4-5 years ago. I'm still not the biggest kobe fan (I don't dislike him though) but I gotta respect his game. Just when you think your team can win or come back he makes that dagger shot.

nalej85
12-23-2008, 03:30 PM
Its absurd the amount of hate this guy has got in his career (from the air-balls in Utah to the Bynum comments).... Kobe seems to have had his flaws but overall I feel his determination , passion and commitment of basketball have largely been mistaken for cockiness... He's definitely matured as a basketball player ....Then again, it makes it a little easier when you have decent DEDICATED players to pass to( cough:cough.....Smush Parker, Kwame Brown, Brian Cook)..Kobe also seems a better person. Positivity is contagious....Oh, Kobe is not averaging 4.2 STEALS...He's averaging 4.2 assists and 1.4 steals...Good thread guys

JordansBulls
12-23-2008, 03:31 PM
this is a kobe thread and people are gonna say this belongs in the lakers forum but i just wanted to post it in the nba forum because i wanted u people(who hate or love kobe) 2 see who he really is!

http://www.nola.com/hornets/t-p/index.ssf?/base/sports-3/1230013218224160.xml&coll=1&thispage=1

He has actually changed a lot and he is more of a peoples person. Anytime he has an interview he is polite and doesn't give himself as a cocky player. Sure he is on the court, but when you are a great player you have to be in order to get the edge. I watched an interview with him and Magic yesterday and seems peaceful.

nalej85
12-23-2008, 03:36 PM
Btw if anyone is interested, Chris Paul is leading the league in steals with 3.04. I think Kobe should be 1st team All defensive...Although Kobe gambles frequently, there's not too many stars in the league that commit as much energy to lock down D as Offense. That and his instinct may be the only elements that he has an edge over Wade and Lebron

eugene
12-23-2008, 04:02 PM
How many years left for Kobe to play? I'd wish I will never hear about him then...

Hawkeye15
12-23-2008, 04:08 PM
Btw if anyone is interested, Chris Paul is leading the league in steals with 3.04. I think Kobe should be 1st team All defensive...Although Kobe gambles frequently, there's not too many stars in the league that commit as much energy to lock down D as Offense. That and his instinct may be the only elements that he has an edge over Wade and Lebron

I don't think the person that started the thread wanted this to happen. Because I will argue all day long that Kobe is not a first team defender. I think we need to keep it to Kobe as a person, or it will turn into what Laker fans regard as Kobe hating, though it is really just non Kobe fans disagreeing with them

DrDEADalready
12-23-2008, 05:00 PM
What did he way about bynum?

Hawkeye15
12-23-2008, 07:07 PM

I don't remember it word for word, but he was caught on a personal camera, after the Kidd for Bynum trade was shot down by Laker management, that they basically should have shipped him out, Bynum isn't going to help him. I am sure you can find it somewhere on you tube. That was about the same time he was asking for a trade. But, it appears he has made peace with Bynum. And he probably realized Kidd wasn't the answer anyways.

Hellcrooner
12-23-2008, 07:40 PM
sorry but only thing could clean kobes figure in my mind woudl ahve been going trough the jury being declared inocent and then striking back with a lawsuit against the lier.

Since he BOUGHT her to not go on with the process the shadow of doubt will never dissapear.

Hawkeye15
12-23-2008, 08:42 PM
sorry but only thing could clean kobes figure in my mind woudl ahve been going trough the jury being declared inocent and then striking back with a lawsuit against the lier.

Since he BOUGHT her to not go on with the process the shadow of doubt will never dissapear.

I think that may have been wife control. He didn't need the details of him cheating on his wife on display. Wasn't that all that woman was looking for anyways?? Kobe got suckered into a chick throwing it at him, he should have known better. I highly doubt he does that again.

superkegger
12-23-2008, 08:59 PM
As far as I can tell, theres basically a few ways people view Kobe.

1. Non "hardcore" NBA fans think he's a great player who can't win without Shaq.

2. You're a Laker fan and you love him.

3. You're not a laker fan, or Kobe fan and you hate him.

4. You don't like him, but respect his skills.

Now, I know not everyone fits in perfectly into that, but generally, people fall into one of them, with maybe a nuance here or there.

Hawkeye15
12-23-2008, 09:23 PM
As far as I can tell, theres basically a few ways people view Kobe.

1. Non "hardcore" NBA fans think he's a great player who can't win without Shaq.

2. You're a Laker fan and you love him.

3. You're not a laker fan, or Kobe fan and you hate him.

4. You don't like him, but respect his skills.

Now, I know not everyone fits in perfectly into that, but generally, people fall into one of them, with maybe a nuance here or there.

Decent thoughts, for sure. I am a non Laker fan, who respects Kobe on the basketball floor. He hasn't won it all without Shaq, and unless he does that, it will be held over his head, and rightly so. I think he is a fantastic player, easily one of the top 3-5 players in a decade. He made some poor decisions, but seems to be a good guy. The Lakers are built to compete for a ring for the next 3-4 seasons, so he has a chance to seperate himself from the Shaq era if it works out

G-Funk
12-24-2008, 01:39 AM
heres a clip of his new commercial

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Video-Nike-s-new-Zoom-Kobe-IV-web-spot;_ylt=Av3RHG141GkJpexAuA7_N5O8vLYF?urn=nba,130 885

G-Funk
12-24-2008, 02:01 AM
" With your kids growing up you want to make sure that your father is remembered for what he really is and not for what people say he is" This quote really stood out to me. What's really funny is the the people who hate him, only notice the bad things and people who like him, notice the good. The one's who hate him only notice how he's praised by media,Ppl who like him notice how ****ed up some journalist can be. The way I see it is, why would anyone say that I love or hate his personality if we don't even know him personally. HE messed up by keeping his life personal, it left the door open for ppl to persuade him as they pleased. The qoute that stood out to me is really a genuine reason for him to want to change his image IMO. I just admire what he does out there, cause soon it would finish and when it's all set & done he will go down as one of the greatest players to ever step on the court. Whether we like it or not. Yeah he made mistakes but who doesn't? Im not going to judge him, that's God's job. Just put ur self in his shoes that's all I can say.

Im just trying to enjoy the ride.

G-Funk
12-24-2008, 02:07 AM

Trade rumors were hot around that time, about Jason Kidd for Bynum that summer and a fan asked him if he would trade Bynum For Kidd and his said and I quote "Are you kidding me? Ship his *** out, we're talking about Jason Kidd " ...

KingOf215
12-24-2008, 03:03 AM
I don't like Kobe Bryant very much. Admittedly, I don't know the man personally, so I can't really judge him.... but there are some things he has done that are hard for me to let go. Him ratting out shaq, the colorado incident, the ridiculous butterfly tattoo to commemorate his wife that he cheated on, dissing his hometown, crying like a baby when he was booed in the all star game, throwing his team under the bus and demanding the trade, dissing his teammate bynum... even what he's trying to imply with changing his jersey number...all these things, don't do well for his character.