PDA

View Full Version : How do You See Michael Beasley's Season So Far?

Faneik
12-23-2008, 12:37 PM
How do You See Michael Beasley's Season So Far?

b_rad23
12-23-2008, 12:42 PM
How do You See Michael Beasley's Season So Far?

As a Heat fan who's watched him every game, I can say with confidence that if he had been playing starter's minutes he'd be at 20+ ppg and at least 7 rpg. I like the approach that Spoelstra is taking with him, making him earn his time, getting scoring on our shallow bench, and making him work on both ends.
He's already shown tons of improvement on the defensive end and he has one of the purest midrange jumpers I've witnessed personally. I'm happy with him, though he could cut down on the turnovers and take it up stronger in stead of all the finger rolls.

Also, unless Haslem or Marion is traded, or Haslem is moved back to center, he probably won't be starting this year. It's mostly politics. Haslem has been here, starting and hustling for years. He's born and raised in the MIA so he probably will never be traded, and is one of the tri-captains, so it's very unlikely that Beasley, although he's been the second best player on the team this year, no doubt, will start. At least not this year.

Faneik
12-23-2008, 12:43 PM
He's playing 26 mins/game, averaging 13.6 pts, 5 rbs, 1 ast, 0.6 stl, 0.5 bpg, 2 to.

He didn't establish himself as a full-time starter in one of last year's weakest teams. His scoring is not a problem, but his lack of size for the NBA is hurting his rebounding numbers.

What do you guys think?

Faneik
12-23-2008, 12:44 PM
As a Heat fan who's watched him every game, I can say with confidence that if he had been playing starter's minutes he'd be at 20+ ppg and at least 7 rpg. I like the approach that Spoelstra is taking with him, making him earn his time, getting scoring on our shallow bench, and making him work on both ends.
He's already shown tons of improvement on the defensive end and he has one of the purest midrange jumpers I've witnessed personally. I'm happy with him, though he could cut down on the turnovers and take it up stronger in stead of all the finger rolls.

Ok. I can see you're happy with him. Do you think he should play SF or PF?

MilfHunter07
12-23-2008, 12:47 PM

PF. :rolleyes: He can't play SF.

b_rad23
12-23-2008, 12:50 PM

That's a big time internal arguement with the Heat fans.

As it says under the avatar, I definitely think he should be a PF. He's a good rebounder and has a long wingspan to make up for what supposedly is a lack of height. If he was a SF he'd have trouble on both ends against quicker competition, but as a PF he's a matchup nightmare that can take anyone off the dribble and won't have too much trouble at all on defense. So it just makes much more sense to keep him at PF.

midwestmadman
12-23-2008, 01:14 PM
I agree with many that have said that he isn't getting the starters minutes that would allow him to be the top scoring rookie and until they (the Heat) figure out what they are going to do with Marion unfortunately for Beasley and the fans he won't get thos e minutes. I think he should stay at the 4 spot and if you have the match up to play him on a smaller SF then you do it on offense only I am not sold on his abilty to stay in front of a quicker SF.

BK-TY
12-23-2008, 01:20 PM
He's an undersized PF that will blossom with playing time... that I hope he gets more of REEEEAAAAALLLLL soon 'cause I have him on my fantasy squad.:rolleyes:

JJ81
12-23-2008, 04:54 PM
He should start.

DrDEADalready
12-23-2008, 05:45 PM
O V E R R A T E D. at this point anyways

J$mo0th_3o5
12-23-2008, 05:59 PM

Paul Millsap is overrated :rolleyes:

MiamiHeat
12-23-2008, 06:06 PM

how is he overrated?

DrDEADalready
12-23-2008, 06:07 PM
Paul Millsap is overrated :rolleyes:

Really how so? He has the most consecutive double doubles in the league right now and he has proven when given the min he puts up double double type numbers. so please kind sir explain yourself?

J$mo0th_3o5
12-23-2008, 06:13 PM
Really how so? He has the most consecutive double doubles in the league right now and he has proven when given the min he puts up double double type numbers. so please kind sir explain yourself?

I was just messing with you. Calm down lol.

kvrnm
12-23-2008, 06:15 PM
im dissapointed with beasleys numbers, but ic he isnt getting starters minutes, so maybe thats why.

what54!?
12-23-2008, 06:17 PM
He's third in the leauge in rookie scoring. He should be starting now but he's not going to over Haslem. If you thought he was going to come into leauge scoring 20+ points being the third option on a team you were kidding yourself.

He's doing fine.

DrDEADalready
12-23-2008, 06:24 PM
how is he overrated?

Well like I said at this point anyways. he hasnt impressed me at all so far.Just from watching the game against us. and the draft supposedly for how good he was going to be. He's been everything of the opposite In my opinion. not saying he not going to be great someday. but this point from how big he was supposed to be. overrated untill then. know what i mean?

MiamiHeat
12-23-2008, 06:30 PM
Well like I said at this point anyways. he hasnt impressed me at all so far.Just from watching the game against us. and the draft supposedly for how good he was going to be. He's been everything of the opposite In my opinion. not saying he not going to be great someday. but this point from how big he was supposed to be. overrated untill then. know what i mean?

Look, I know Beasley's numbers are not up to a 2nd pick but you have to understand something, he is on a team that features a superstar and the leading scorerof the league, is not the same case as Rose who is in Chicago who got noone gordon? deng? and OJ Mayo is basically the man in Memphis...
I see this as more of a Spoelstra(heat coach) problem rather than a Beasley problem, remember ppl like....Tracy Mcgrady, Jermaine O'Neal heck even Kobe Bryant who were on teams that already featured superstar(s) and is not the same weight to carry or the same pressure of scoring or liberty if you will...
And the coach is making Beasley earn his minutes by playing defense, which will pay off later on so just be patience with Beasley let's wait until the season is over to see if he was overrated or not.
But we all know he has the scoring ability and if he gets his minutes he could probably drop 20-25

Cavs_Fan24
12-23-2008, 06:31 PM
To me it's been somewhat disappointing. I mean, Derrick Rose has surpassed the hype, as has OJ Mayo, and before last year, Beasley was supposed to be the best player in that draft, and now out of the top 3, he's 3rd, no question. But I do agree it's because he isnt starting like Rose and Mayo are. But if he was that good, he would be starting. Haslem could easily come off the bench.

b_rad23
12-23-2008, 07:19 PM
To me it's been somewhat disappointing. I mean, Derrick Rose has surpassed the hype, as has OJ Mayo, and before last year, Beasley was supposed to be the best player in that draft, and now out of the top 3, he's 3rd, no question. But I do agree it's because he isnt starting like Rose and Mayo are. But if he was that good, he would be starting. Haslem could easily come off the bench.

Again, it's politics. Haslem has started there for years, is a tri-captain and is from the MIA. He's been there, solid and positive through good and bad always giving 100%. He's a vet and true pro and this is a young team. They just can't bench him.

Not only that, the lack of a bench should not be underrated. He's clearly the 2nd best player on the team, we just have no one (other than Cook and only sometimes) to score on the bench. The splits for when D-Wade is in and when he's out are astounding.

That said, I don't expect him to start this year. I still think he's a better player than OJ Mayo, he just doesn't have the tough coach or the D-Wade on his team. Eventually, when Haslem's out or on the bench, you'll see. He can fill it up like few others.

Chronz
12-23-2008, 10:19 PM
As a Heat fan who's watched him every game, I can say with confidence that if he had been playing starter's minutes he'd be at 20+ ppg and at least 7 rpg.
What do you consider starters minutes? The more playing time you need to contribute an x amount of PTS, the less of a player you are. Hes averaging 19PTS per 36 minutes with an absurdly high usage%, how much more playing time does he need. Hes already wasting enough possessions the way hes playing.

I like the approach that Spoelstra is taking with him, making him earn his time, getting scoring on our shallow bench, and making him work on both ends.

Ive heard alot about his defensive improvements, but hes still has a ways to go before hes a decent defender, him not having a defined position probably isnt helping him. His midrange is meh

how is he overrated?
Because hes a chucking tweaner

im dissapointed with beasleys numbers, but ic he isnt getting starters minutes, so maybe thats why.
Great, no scratch that, even GOOD players perform regardless, minutes never stopped LeMarcus, Tmac, Kobe, Redd, from contributing at high levels. Its all about what you do in your playing time that deems you worthy of getting playing time. If he was good enough he would be getting the minutes, sadly what he puts up in the minutes he gets is pretty pathetic from someone with his hype.

Look, I know Beasley's numbers are not up to a 2nd pick but you have to understand something, he is on a team that features a superstar and the leading scorerof the league, is not the same case as Rose who is in Chicago who got noone gordon? deng? and OJ Mayo is basically the man in Memphis...

--------- USG% / PTSx36 / Offensive Rating
Mayo ---- 26.0 / 19.6 / 107
Rose ---- 22.3 / 16.7 / 108
Beasley - 27.8 / 19.0 / 97

Stop making excuses, he has the highest usage% among all of them, the difference is hes less efficient and as a result doesnt get the playing time.

I see this as more of a Spoelstra(heat coach) problem rather than a Beasley problem, remember ppl like....Tracy Mcgrady, Jermaine O'Neal heck even Kobe Bryant who were on teams that already featured superstar(s) and is not the same weight to carry or the same pressure of scoring or liberty if you will...

They all performed and contributed in some way that showed tremendous potential, Beasley thus far is just a chucker.

But we all know he has the scoring ability and if he gets his minutes he could probably drop 20-25
Only if you wanted to be the worst offensive team in the league

SwaggaIke
12-23-2008, 10:24 PM
Beasley will be coming into his own as the other rookies hit the wall.

Quasimoto
12-23-2008, 10:36 PM
Barring Injuries, I Believe This Will Be The Worst He Ever Is And He's Only Gonna Get Better...

Some Of My Boys Wild On Me For Sayin This, But His Midrange Jumper Is Reminiscent Of Karl Malone....

I'm Happy With Our Decision Even Though Mayo Is Doing His Thing...

Quasimoto
12-23-2008, 10:39 PM
Beasley will be coming into his own as the other rookies hit the wall.

Yep...

"As the year goes on beasley is gonna separate himself in the rookie of the year race. Its awwll beasley." - Avery Johnson...

camador22
12-24-2008, 02:20 AM
As someone who's watched alost every Heat game I could assure you Beasley would be the top rookie if he got over 30 minutes a game. The only reason he's on the bench is because Haslem didn't fit well getting too many minutes at center. Beasley has a very good outside shot. Once he becomes better defensively and more aggressive offensively he will no doubt be the best of the rookie class. I predicted since the beginning Mayo would win the ROY. I still feel that way but Rose has been very impressive.

Kings Faithful
12-24-2008, 02:43 AM
He's proving that D Rose was the number 1 pick.

Chronz
12-24-2008, 03:18 AM
As someone who's watched alost every Heat game I could assure you Beasley would be the top rookie if he got over 30 minutes a game. The only reason he's on the bench is because Haslem didn't fit well getting too many minutes at center. Beasley has a very good outside shot. Once he becomes better defensively and more aggressive offensively he will no doubt be the best of the rookie class. I predicted since the beginning Mayo would win the ROY. I still feel that way but Rose has been very impressive.
Isnt the fact that he needs to hog all the minutes to be effective a drawback? Why does he more than any other player need those minutes to be effective? People always say its "easier" to play less minutes, its why Manu never gets the credit he deserves.

JJ81
12-24-2008, 03:43 AM

How so?

amare#1
12-24-2008, 10:02 AM
Disappointing. Not really his fault though I guess.

HoLLyWooD PLK
12-24-2008, 10:36 AM
Hes Not Gettin Them Extra Minutes Cuz He Doesnt Deserve Them Yet ......

OJ Mayo n Derrick Rose alot more important to their clubs right now

even Brook Lopez Been More Important ...

theuuord
12-24-2008, 01:28 PM
What do you consider starters minutes? The more playing time you need to contribute an x amount of PTS, the less of a player you are. Hes averaging 19PTS per 36 minutes with an absurdly high usage%, how much more playing time does he need. Hes already wasting enough possessions the way hes playing.

Ive heard alot about his defensive improvements, but hes still has a ways to go before hes a decent defender, him not having a defined position probably isnt helping him. His midrange is meh

Because hes a chucking tweaner

Great, no scratch that, even GOOD players perform regardless, minutes never stopped LeMarcus, Tmac, Kobe, Redd, from contributing at high levels. Its all about what you do in your playing time that deems you worthy of getting playing time. If he was good enough he would be getting the minutes, sadly what he puts up in the minutes he gets is pretty pathetic from someone with his hype.

--------- USG% / PTSx36 / Offensive Rating
Mayo ---- 26.0 / 19.6 / 107
Rose ---- 22.3 / 16.7 / 108
Beasley - 27.8 / 19.0 / 97

Stop making excuses, he has the highest usage% among all of them, the difference is hes less efficient and as a result doesnt get the playing time.

They all performed and contributed in some way that showed tremendous potential, Beasley thus far is just a chucker.

Only if you wanted to be the worst offensive team in the league

If you're using numbers like that, you should definitely use them correctly, which you're not... Offensive ratings for rookies can fluctuate to ridiculous levels and usually don't have much correlation to the rest of a player's career because it's an adjustment period. Just look at Karl Malone or even LeBron for proof of that.

Mayo and Rose are both #1 options so their situations are completely different. Beasley is still adjusting. He's fine. Barring injury he'll have a long, successful career.

Chronz
12-24-2008, 10:33 PM
If you're using numbers like that, you should definitely use them correctly, which you're not... Offensive ratings for rookies can fluctuate to ridiculous levels and usually don't have much correlation to the rest of a player's career because it's an adjustment period. Just look at Karl Malone or even LeBron for proof of that.
What part of Beasly's season THUS FAR do you not understand?

LOL I am using them correctly, where did I say he wouldnt improve? Karl Malone's rookie season was horrible, LeBron's 2nd season came the year handchecking was limited, he was easily one of the biggest beneficiary of the rule changes. Either way I dont expect anyone to have a career offensive rating below 100, its just too pathetic. Still doesnt change anything Ive said about the kid.

Mayo and Rose are both #1 options so their situations are completely different. Beasley is still adjusting. He's fine. Barring injury he'll have a long, successful career.

Beasley couldnt be a number 1 option, and hes chucking at a rate beyond theirs yet still cant match their production. Barring any improvement he will be a cancerous player his entire career.

Chronz
12-24-2008, 11:33 PM
PS Im 100% positive we havent seen the best from Beasley and that what we are seeing from Mayo this early in the season is a giant fluke. Hes been too hot from distance (Top of the arc 2's and 3PTers), he wont keep that up an entire season. So I fully expect Beasley to be in the ROY race as the season wears on, that doesnt change how poorly hes played thus far.

what54!?
12-24-2008, 11:58 PM
Well I'll say this. Rookie seasons aren't everything. Mayo is a stud and has been playing very well. Rose is also a stud, he deserved the #1 pick. But mike is a stud too. I could care less if mike Beasley is in the ROY running or wins it. He gonna have a good career. All I care about is him helping the Heat (well actually wade :cool: ) get wins whether its scoring, hustle, etc (stats aren't everything.)

But I will also admit that mike does ballhog as he's been the go-to guy up till now. I don't mind it for now though as the Heat's bench is thin and we need more than one person off the bench to score. But later on he will need to pass more.

He has a lot to learn like every other rookie.

dee279
12-25-2008, 12:20 AM
if there is any rookie that is overrated i would have to say it is Greg Oden who cant even play a whole game wit out fouling out lol well it seems, but anyways back to B-easy, Beasley is a great player and will be fo a long time, he just needs to grow into his own unlike O.J. Mayo, and Derrick Rose, and Kevin Durant of last year who was drafted by a team who needed a face of their franchise who had no stars and just up and coming players,Beasley has to deal with the ball going into D-wade's hands 25 times a game meaning atleast 25 shots a game(im a wade and heat fan so im not complaining) and a combo forward named shawn marion but still so far to me Beasley impresses me with his mid range shooting touch,but not as good from 3 as i would have thought, and sometimes plays soft at times, but yeah we all know what he can do and he will be a very entertaining player for a long time

theuuord
12-25-2008, 12:28 AM
What part of Beasly's season THUS FAR do you not understand?

LOL I am using them correctly, where did I say he wouldnt improve?

Beasley couldnt be a number 1 option, and hes chucking at a rate beyond theirs yet still cant match their production. Barring any improvement he will be a cancerous player his entire career.

Merry Christmas to you sir, but your contradictions are aplenty. You say that your evaluation is only for so far, and then say he won't improve, but then not one paragraph later you say he will be a cancerous player his entire career, barring improvement? That indicates you don't think it's likely that he will improve.
So which is it?

Beasley is fine. He is a rookie with an adjustment period who is still putting up good offensive numbers. It's a long career.

Chronz
12-25-2008, 01:59 AM
Merry Christmas to you sir, but your contradictions are aplenty. You say that your evaluation is only for so far, and then say he won't improve, but then not one paragraph later you say he will be a cancerous player his entire career, barring improvement? That indicates you don't think it's likely that he will improve.
So which is it?

Beasley is fine. He is a rookie with an adjustment period who is still putting up good offensive numbers. It's a long career.

Merry Christmas to you and yours but I still got a few hours to go. I dont recall saying he couldnt improve, I thought reiterating the point that he would because its too pathetic for any player that accounts for so many possessions to maintain such low efficiency marks. The ones that do usually dont last in the league for much longer (cough ... Ron Mercer). But when I speak of a players performance thus far, I evaluate it the way I would if I were looking at entire body of work, as in his career as a whole, in this short stretch of his rookie season, hes not impressing me, obviously we have different standards that constitute "good" offensive numbers. His effort cant be questioned so I know he will improve but hypothetically if he never did then he would be a cancerous player. Since when is cancerous impressive? He could just as easily be the Next Antoine Walker, actually Id say its easier for him to be the next cancer than the next guy who turns it around IF he plays like this all season long. The odds of that happening are slim but if they did, the list of players who played great in their short amount of time usually ended up being good players, the ones that didnt were usually career journeyman/cancers that couldnt win unless they accepted a drastically reduced role.

Chronz
12-25-2008, 03:03 AM
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/basketball/heat/sfl-flspheat23sbdec23,0,4379780.story

Spoelstra tells Beasley to calm down on the chuckin

29$JerZ
12-25-2008, 03:05 AM
I haven't seen much Heat games but his stats are what I expected. I assume the coach is trying to influence BEasly to work for his playing time and commit to defense so he can become a weapon for the Heat on both sides of the floor.

Basically they aren't spoiling Beasly since he was the 2nd pick.