PDA

View Full Version : Best type of defender for Lebron: Strong Guy or Skinny and Athletic?

JordansBulls
12-23-2008, 12:21 PM
If you needed to contain Lebron obviously a player that is strong and athletic would be ideal. However, if that is not the case would you rather have a guy strong like Ron Artest defending Lebron or someone skinny but quick defending him like Bruce Bowen?

DrDEADalready
12-23-2008, 12:30 PM
Stong. cause lebron himself is quick so he needs someone that can put a body on him

Faneik
12-23-2008, 12:31 PM
You got to go with team defense to try to contain Lebron, and make him pass the ball.

With 1 on 1 defense, Lebron will finish at the rim or at the FT line.

FOBolous
12-23-2008, 12:46 PM
the only person in the NBA who have a chance of containing Lebron by himself, in my opinion, is Ron Artest. None of the other elite defender are strong enough to stop Lebron...Lebron would just body through Battier, Kobe (God forbid, i suggested Kobe can't do something), Bruce Bowen, Prince, ect ect ect.

SteveNash
12-23-2008, 01:17 PM
Skinny and Athletic. LeBron doesn't really utilize his size/strength to post people up like he should be able to.

Becks2307
12-23-2008, 01:27 PM
Dennis Rodman lol

Lakers4ItAll
12-23-2008, 01:27 PM
Ariza or someone like him would be a good match up.

Lebron doesn't go down on the block much, so a more athletic defender stands a better chance

NYKnickFanatic
12-23-2008, 01:33 PM
Im sorry, but the only person that can stop LeBron is...LeBron.
No one can contest with LeBron. No one strong enough and quick enough.

MoBASS
12-23-2008, 01:38 PM
Ariza or someone like him would be a good match up.

Lebron doesn't go down on the block much, so a more athletic defender stands a better chance

At first I was thinking a skinny guy like Ariza, but LeBron is able to use his size on the perimeter to drive by you by giving you a bump to get you off balance.

So it's not just on the block that he uses his size, it's when he's driving to the basket.

infamous
12-23-2008, 01:43 PM
Strong and athletic, someone like, well, Lebron.

Hotone1401
12-23-2008, 01:48 PM
How about all 3? There is no set type of defender for a kid like Lebron. The guy would have to be super athletic just as he is. Lebron is the best in the world right now and I don't think anybody can stop him. The only person that can stop Lebron is himself. With that said, I will agree with most that Artest doesn't do a bad job on him.

fredv
12-23-2008, 02:17 PM
Make him shoot. Don't let him get to the rim.

Thats what the Spurs did to him in the Finals, and thats what the Celtics did last year.

bostncelts34
12-23-2008, 02:18 PM
agree with you guys, no one type of defender can stop him.

Team defense like the celtics did to him is the only thing that can SLOW him down.

ackar
12-23-2008, 02:30 PM
Dennis Rodman lol

You are correct i was going to suggestion Rodman. He would shut him down and get into his head ask Shaq about that and I am talking about a Shaq in his prime.

Hawkeye15
12-23-2008, 02:32 PM
There is nobody in the universe that can do it one on one. It takes a team defense to do it. You need long fast interior players that can help on the drive, and strong wings that can keep him from gaining too much steam at the rim. And if he starts hitting jumpers, call it a night.

Hawkeye15
12-23-2008, 02:33 PM
You are correct i was going to suggestion Rodman. He would shut him down and get into his head ask Shaq about that and I am talking about a Shaq in his prime.

not that it hasn't happened, but I have never seen LeBron get flustered and emotional to the point he loses it.

Faneik
12-23-2008, 02:41 PM
not that it hasn't happened, but I have never seen LeBron get flustered and emotional to the point he loses it.

I haven't either. And the Wizards tried it many times.

Even against the Celtics, after a nasty fould by Pierce, when he told his mother "Sit your S down!" he didn't lose his composure.

Lebron understands he hurts his team if he starts doing that kind of stuff in the court.

JordansBulls
12-23-2008, 03:33 PM
Dennis Rodman lol

He doesn't even play anymore.

eugene
12-23-2008, 04:04 PM
T-Prince or Dennis Rodman ))))

hotpotato1092
12-23-2008, 04:09 PM
Rodman and maybe MJ, MJ has the skill but I doubt he's big enough.

Teeboy1487
12-23-2008, 04:10 PM
James Posey

Hawkeye15
12-23-2008, 04:13 PM
for all time defenders, Pippen would have done a decent job. Rodman maybe. Alvin Robertson. Jordan would maybe be alright.

Joshtd1
12-23-2008, 04:16 PM
Beating the horse, since many people have already said it...but its team defense.

Only way you can really stop him is to just try and sag off of him, clog the lane, and make him shoot jumpers....or get his teammates to beat you. If his jumper is on..then you're screwed.

GSW fan
12-23-2008, 04:28 PM
you cant stop him....
you can only hope to contain him!

jackson played good defense in the playoffs couple of years ago.
marion when he tries
josh smith is good if he could keep his man in front more often
not ariza..not yet atleast
artest.
pierce last years playoffs
josh howard
caron
kobe
prince
idk
:confused:

JJ81
12-23-2008, 04:51 PM
Ariza

zachattach
12-23-2008, 08:14 PM
Anyone no how Gerald Wallace does against him. Gerald is big and strong and athletic. Does Gerald make him work?

Chronz
12-23-2008, 09:55 PM
Pierce in his athletic prime would be a great option, hes quicker now but I doubt hes as physical.

Rudy Gay would be ideal, if he could just learn how to maintain a proper defensive stance he would be an elite defender. Hes decent on talent alone, but if he applied himself he could be great.

But its always been Artest, throughout his career hes locked down/ slowed LeBron. Its hard to do that when your on a horrible defensive team without you but hes managed to slow LeBron despite having Brad Miller as his anchor. Thats impressive, throughout their head to head matchups Bron has averaged 5.1 turnovers per game. In fact I cant ever recall a game where Bron has ever exploded against Artest. Last year he abused him but that was by far the weakest defensive support Artest has ever had.

Ive seen Battier lock him down once as a Rocket, and made him shoot 7-18 in another game but he dropped 13 and 11 on the boards and helpers department.

Anyone no how Gerald Wallace does against him. Gerald is big and strong and athletic. Does Gerald make him work?
Yea thats who I was thinking as well, with Emeka backing him up you would think he would do a decent enough job containing him, sadly their matchups usually revolve around him getting locked down.

Quasimoto
12-23-2008, 10:45 PM
Kobe Is The Only Person That Gives Him Fits, Tayshaun Prince Tries, But Its Just Not Enough...

LOL @ Alvin Robertson, You Cant Be Serious Man, A 6'3 210 PG? Obviously You Never Saw Him Play...

Verbal Christ
12-23-2008, 11:01 PM
Ron Artest played him extremely tough tonight, if there is a guy in the league it would have to be him. Lebron almost did lose his cool when Ron was on him to the point of throwing elbows and getting really physical. It was a damn good matchup also considering that Ron Artest is playing with two torn ligaments in his ankle as well, the guy is limping around like an old man and still stepping up to the plate.

Kyben36
12-23-2008, 11:55 PM
Stong. There is only 1 way to stop a player of his caliber.

James = Ref

Big guy = the defender

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duZ0GyBdh3w

Yes, your guy cant play anymore but I can guarantee that would stop Lebron James in his tracks. So evey time you are about to go into a game. Find a big guy in the audience, sign him to a 1 day deal and tell him to KO the James, Kobe, or Paul on the other team. Lets see them win then.

Im am just kidding guys. dont think im a true *** hole

JermanJaysFan
12-24-2008, 01:06 AM
Interesting that you bring this up- there is one guy in the league that can do it regularily, and no one seems to know it. I found this out when my and Conor's redraft team came up against 'Bron in a match-up: Corey Maggette stops Lebron James.

In his 10 career games versus the Clips, Bron Bron has easily his worst stat line against any one NBA team: he averages 20.9 points on 37.0% shooting, 21.9% percent from three point range, all well below his career averages.

Now, I know a lot of people call Maggette a one-dimensional scorer, but the numbers show that Corey's amazing blend of strength and speed (not near Lebron-esque, but formidable nonetheless), and apparently the challenge of guarding the leagues best allow him to hang with Lebron like none other.

kvrnm
12-24-2008, 01:23 AM
i personally saw rip hamilton shut down lebron at the palace in detroit last year..... it was prolly just a off night for lebron though.

Kenny
12-24-2008, 01:39 AM
Kobe Is The Only Person That Gives Him Fits, Tayshaun Prince Tries, But Its Just Not Enough...

LOL @ Alvin Robertson, You Cant Be Serious Man, A 6'3 210 PG? Obviously You Never Saw Him Play...

PLEASE STOP with Kobe gives him fits last year lebron scored 41 and 33 on the lakers..

GspLAL
12-24-2008, 03:38 AM
Artest did a pretty decent job on him today.

Boozerguy47
12-24-2008, 04:30 AM
Strong guy would definitely match up better on Lebron, because Lebron is at his best when he is around the hoop. He'd overpower a skinny guy near the basket, while a stronger guy might make him shoot more jumpers (his weakness).

CaptainCool79
12-24-2008, 05:50 AM
Ron Artest is the ONLY player that matches up well with LeBron defensively. Both of them have an uncanny combination of strength and quickness.

Wilson
12-24-2008, 06:28 AM
I've not read the whole thread, so sorry if I'm repeating what anyone has already said...

I think that with a player like LeBron, you really have to pick your poison. Obviously, the ideal player to defend him will be strong and fast. If you had to pick just one though, I'd choose the smaller, faster player.

The stronger player will obviously handle LeBron better around the basket. However, LeBron doesn't post up as much as he penetrates from the perimeter. In that regard, I think the smaller, faster player whould do a better job of keeping him away from the basket.

LeBron will obviously be able to shoot over the faster player, but you're not going to be able to completely shut him down. He's a much less reliable scorer when shooting jumpshots than when driving to the basket.

LakerzDQ
12-24-2008, 08:23 AM
Interesting that you bring this up- there is one guy in the league that can do it regularily, and no one seems to know it. I found this out when my and Conor's redraft team came up against 'Bron in a match-up: Corey Maggette stops Lebron James.

In his 10 career games versus the Clips, Bron Bron has easily his worst stat line against any one NBA team: he averages 20.9 points on 37.0% shooting, 21.9% percent from three point range, all well below his career averages.

Now, I know a lot of people call Maggette a one-dimensional scorer, but the numbers show that Corey's amazing blend of strength and speed (not near Lebron-esque, but formidable nonetheless), and apparently the challenge of guarding the leagues best allow him to hang with Lebron like none other.

ah, Corey Maggette.

Maggette is built. I wouldn't say he's very fast on his feet on defense though.

I think Lebron needs a strong defender then.

Kiss Ma Grits
12-24-2008, 08:27 AM
Here's the problem: Either guys are strong enough and not fast enough or they're fast enough but not strong enough. Once Lebron lowers his shoulder you got problems on your hands. If his shot is on, then you have absolutely NO CHANCE. There are only two ways to slow him down. One way is team defense and you HAVE to have great weakside help. The Celtics and the Spurs were able to do it because Cleveland would run a 4-1 isolation offense which made it very easy to play a zone on him which any player would have problems with esspecially if their team mates couldn't knock down shots. This year though......with the ball handling skills and quickness of Cleveland's backcourt which allows Lebron to play off the ball presents a brand new problem for teams in defending him which Boston will find out this year....

All I have to say is good luck to the rest of the league cause you're going to need it :-)

amare#1
12-24-2008, 09:50 AM
Strong. Because this would tackle LeBron's main strength; strength, which is prominent than his speed and athleticism IMO, although these are also elite in his case.

The Answer3
12-24-2008, 10:48 AM
James Posey and Ron Artest did a great job on him. I'll say a combination of speed, strength and quickness.

x45x
12-24-2008, 11:27 AM
There is nobody in the universe that can do it one on one. It takes a team defense to do it. You need long fast interior players that can help on the drive, and strong wings that can keep him from gaining too much steam at the rim. And if he starts hitting jumpers, call it a night.

Woww! So true. Thats exactly what happens.

Quasimoto
12-24-2008, 07:57 PM
PLEASE STOP with Kobe gives him fits last year lebron scored 41 and 33 on the lakers..

Put Your Shirt Back On B, You Need To Relax....

Quasimoto
01-20-2009, 02:57 AM

Gave Him A Fit Tonight...

pete_one
01-20-2009, 04:47 AM
charles oakley

sp1derm00
01-20-2009, 03:25 PM
Kobe stopped Lebron pretty well last night. He did cover Lebron for a big portion of the game, stopping him from driving in and forcing Lebron to take jumpers, which we all know isn't his forte.

Ariza also did a good job on Lebron in the open court, but not when Lebron had the benefit of picks and half-court sets...

JordansBulls
01-20-2009, 03:26 PM
Kobe stopped Lebron pretty well last night. He did cover Lebron for a big portion of the game, stopping him from driving in and forcing Lebron to take jumpers, which we all know isn't his forte.

Ariza also did a good job on Lebron in the open court, but not when Lebron had the benefit of picks and half-court sets...

He didn't stop him. Lebron was blowing past him and then the twin towers was in his way to prevent him from scoring.

lakers4sho
01-20-2009, 03:35 PM

bingo

lakers4sho
01-20-2009, 03:36 PM
He didn't stop him. Lebron was blowing past him and then the twin towers was in his way to prevent him from scoring.

But he did force James to take jumpers on several occasions, most of them didn't go in.

JordansBulls
01-20-2009, 03:42 PM
But he did force James to take jumpers on several occasions, most of them didn't go in.

True. However, when he wasn't getting anything in the lane he had to do something else. When you can't score inside, it is much harder to start hitting from the outside.

sp1derm00
01-20-2009, 03:46 PM

Yes, he did stop him. I was watching every possession Kobe was guarding Lebron. Lebron got in once, but too fast and with Pau in his face, forcing him into a circus shot. Lebron got inside the paint on possessions when Kobe wasn't guarding him directly, but never when Kobe was focused in on him.

JordansBulls
01-20-2009, 03:50 PM
Yes, he did stop him. I was watching every possession Kobe was guarding Lebron. Lebron got in once, but too fast and with Pau in his face, forcing him into a circus shot. Lebron got inside the paint on possessions when Kobe wasn't guarding him directly, but never when Kobe was focused in on him.

I watched the whole game as well, and Lebron was blowing past him and getting into the lane whenever he wanted.
Now it was quite obvious that Kobe played him to the point that whenever Lebron drove he would be in the paint where Gasol and Bynum would be waiting, but still he got into the lane whenever he wanted.

td0tsfinest
01-20-2009, 03:55 PM
I would go with strong. Someone that could bang with Lebron's strength. But all in all, you'll need good team defense to stop lebron. One man alone can't contain Lebron for the entire game, you'll need to switch players making lebron change his offense, you'll need good interior defense to take charges and alter Lebron shots and most important you need Lebron to take more shots, not allowing him to make plays for his team mates or allowing him to get into the paint.

Of course this is easier said than done. Lebron is a freak of nature.

lakers4sho
01-20-2009, 03:55 PM
When LeBron doesn't get a screen from someone, most of the times Kobe can stay right in front of him and make him shoot the jumper. The only times when LeBron would blow past him is when someone sets him a screen. Kobe (and the Lakers in general) suck on pick-and-roll defense.

Ariza can guard James while dribbling in an open floor because Ariza is a pretty good pick pocketer and James dribbles right in front of him, which usually isn't the best thing to do against Cobra. However, in a half court set I think James would just power over Trevor.

carruthers32
01-20-2009, 04:02 PM
Skinny and Athletic. LeBron doesn't really utilize his size/strength to post people up like he should be able to.

you must not watch him play

Zefflin
01-20-2009, 04:43 PM
I watched the whole game as well, and Lebron was blowing past him and getting into the lane whenever he wanted.

Yes very good many of us watched the game last night. So did I. And I saw Lebron try to do his best Kobe impersonation like usual to no avail. He even added some "Oh look I'm hurt too" acting in there, it was great. I also saw Kobe blow by Lebron a few times as well. Both great players, but Lebron just doesn't have the natural killer instinct that Kobe has, he's more concerned about how cool he looks to the kids.