PDA

View Full Version : Trade for Jamison?

y2koz7
12-23-2008, 11:10 AM
If the Cavs are to add a superstar running mate to the roster, now is the time to start looking. What Danny Ferry will be looking for are great players on underperforming teams. Teams that are not reaching expectations and are faced with having to rebuild in the off season. These are the teams that will most value Wally Szczerbiak's contract or Eric Snow's contract.

So I ask: What about Antawn Jamison? The Wizards have tried to make their roster work for several years and have been early exits each year from the playoffs. They just committed long term to Gilbert Arenas, but should be willing to move some support pieces - after all, they have the second worst record in the league (albeit without Arenas), but with an interim coach, are they really contenders?

For the Cavs, our lineup would be:
PG: Williams/Gibson
SG: West/Sasha
SF: LeBron
PF: Jamison/Wallace
C: Z/Varejao

Jamison would be a great athletic big man for the Cavs who plays defense, can score, and demands attention from defenders. Most of all - he should fit with our chemistry (unlike a prima dona superstar).

kingshiz
12-23-2008, 12:22 PM
i would like this move but jamison had just signed an extension with the wizards last year or the year be for so it is unlikly to even get him

Cavs_Fan24
12-23-2008, 12:56 PM
^I agree. I would love Antawn Jamison though, he'd be a great fit for our team and would make us even better contenders not only in the east, but in the nba.

airjesus50
12-23-2008, 06:08 PM
Jamison would be perfect

damkrayzie
12-23-2008, 11:11 PM
it would be a nice pick up, he can hit that 15 foot jumper

Cavs_Fan24
12-24-2008, 03:27 PM
^and he has a great stroke from downtown also.

LeBrizzle
12-24-2008, 10:01 PM
We should not make a trade, UNTIL we start losing. Our team is good right now, you don't know if a trade can screw us up. Right now, don't change ANYTHING.

kingshiz
12-25-2008, 02:00 AM
look i dont get how people think by trading wally szcezerbiak would mess us up he is not that good an he really dont play many minutes we could get some 1 better than him that could give us more points an better defense an not take as much salary up im not saying that jamison is the guy buy lets shop an see what we can come up with we could find that right piece 2 make us a cotender 4 a couple years we just gotta look at what teams have 2 offer

dgreat5000
12-25-2008, 10:19 PM
We should not make a trade, UNTIL we start losing. Our team is good right now, you don't know if a trade can screw us up. Right now, don't change ANYTHING.

Yeaa wiyh Lebron and Mo playin as good as they are...why change the system...if it aint broke, dont fix it. right?

Yogi
12-25-2008, 10:59 PM
No Jamison for you.

damkrayzie
12-26-2008, 01:07 AM
Any time you can make your team better you do it.

kingshiz
12-26-2008, 06:07 PM
lets pick up ben gordan from the bulls lets trade wally szcerzbiak an eric snow 4 ben gordan an andrea nocioni that would make us that championship team we want move ben gordan 2 the starting 2 gaurd an west back up an gibson back up at point that an nocioni at the back up small forward that would make us sick if we did that

Clevefan23
12-26-2008, 08:31 PM
i dont care how good the expiring contracts are for wally and snow we cant get both gordan and nocioni for them. They will ask for either a first rounder, boobie, maybe j.j. they will want a guy that has upside.

kingshiz
12-27-2008, 12:12 AM
we could give them a 1st round pick but they would love 2 have the expiring contracts every 1 would like a shot at kobe at the end of this year but we could give up tarence kinsey even if we had 2 i really would like 2 see jaywad williams get some minutes people dont understand how good he really is he is a great shooter an a great dunker i bet he could give us an easy 12 points a night if he took over sasha spot or szczerbiak's spot

kingshiz
12-27-2008, 12:16 AM
an ben gordan is on his way out after this year any how he only signed a 1 year deal with the bulls but he will be else where after this season so why not trade em even if we could get nocioni an drew gooden back i would even take that drew is good atr scoring an rebounding but ben wallace could give us the defense an he comes off the bench an gives us points an gets some boards

enabring
12-27-2008, 10:18 AM
Yes, Drew can do those things you mentioned but lest you forget: Drew Gooden is a bit of a moron from a basketball sense. You could tell Lebron really didn't like playing with him. James really needs relatively intelligent players on the floor with him or they will get hit in the side of the head with a basketball ala Pistol Pete.

IndiansFan337
12-27-2008, 04:31 PM
Yeaa wiyh Lebron and Mo playin as good as they are...why change the system...if it aint broke, dont fix it. right?

That's the way I am thinking about this right now.

The only problem is that after this season we will lose the very valuable trade assets of Snow & Wally. Once they expire, we have limited trade assets remaining. And that limits our ability to add pieces & get better as some of our core players age (Z, Wallace).

So we basically need to decide if we are content where we are & not mess up the chemistry this year, or go hard for the most talent that we can get for now & in the future. It is a hard decision to make. Criticism will be abundant regardless of which scenario is chosen, unless it results in an NBA Championship during the next 1-2 years.

Ben Gordon is not a very realistic possibility. We already have a logjam of G's that are not very big. And he has the ability to veto any trade this year because he signed the Bulls one-year tender. He isn't going to do so (waiving his Bird rights would be required) unless the Cavs give him an extension worth at least $40+ million. I think the Bulls offered him $50 million last year & he wanted more. So it would take at least $40 million right now to get him to come aboard. He wouldn't improve us in the areas that we need most.

I have seen rumors that we could possibly acquire Joe Smith back from OKC either via trade or possibly after a buyout of some sort.

Heathmalc
12-27-2008, 09:49 PM
The Cavaliers CANNOT trade for Joe Smith. It is against the CBA rules.

A team that trades a player, cannot re-acquire that player via trade for a calendar year (365 days). If the player is waived by the team he is traded to, then the team that traded him must wait 30 days (after the date of the trade) to re-sign the player as a free-agent.

We traded Joe in August. That means we cannot get him back in a trade. However, it has been well past 30 days since he was traded, so if he gets bought-out, then the Cavaliers can re-sign him as a free-agent.

Heathmalc
12-29-2008, 11:47 PM
Antawn Jamison -

Because of a lot of rumors I have heard concerning Antawn Jamison, Gerald Wallace and Josh Howard... I decided to go to as many of those teams' forums as I could find, and ask them what they thought about trading their player for Wally,etc...

The Charlotte boards: About 98% of all of the fans had the same response when asked about trading Gerald Wallace: NO!!!! They are pretty much set that they want to keep him, and they say that coach Brown (Larry) likes Wallace...and since Larry has a "lot" of input concerning personnel decisions, I don't think it's gonna happen with Wallace.

The Dallas Mavericks boards: The Dallas fans were split about 50/50 on whether Josh should be shipped out. They all agree that his talent is undeniable, but that he will never fit in Dallas. A lot of them had some pretty crazy demands on what they'd demand for Josh... which is normal, as fans always over-value their players. However, a lot of them actually made decent trade proposals. So the chances of getting Howard would seem to be there if Danny and the front office were interested.

The Wizards Boards: I expected to get some crazy answers from the Wizard fans as soon as I said I was a Cavalier fan, but surprisingly, they were about 90% in agreement that Antawn had to go. One proposal that I made was Wally and a #1 pick for Darius Songalia (extra big man) and Antawn Jamison. EVERYONE of the Wizard fans agreed that this was a good trade, and that they would take that trade in a second, and call GM Ernie Grunsfeld a genius for pulling it off. This makes it seem like a deal for Antawn is a very good possibility. We get Antawn who can play the 3 or the 4 (so we can go BIG if we want), and we get an exta big with experience in Songalia...just in-case one of our guys get hurt.

Why did I go to other forums and ask the fans their opinion?

In my experience with NBA trades... they don't just happen out of the blue. They may be unexpected trades... but the players that get traded are always players that the fans are expecting to get traded. Take Ben Wallace, Wally, Larry Hughes, Drew gooden, Mo Williams, Delonte West..... Everyone of those players were "expected" to be traded by their team. The actual trade may have been a surprise, in that the fans didnt know what they'd get back...but the fact the player was traded...that was not a surprise.

Therefore, I find it extremely useful to goto the forums of the team(s) that rumors are being spread about. After I hear the fan reaction, I have a much better idea of whether the rumor has any validity to it.

In the case of Antawn Jamison, the Wizard fans clearly stated that they hated the idea of helping the Cavaliers, but that the Wizards would be better off trading him for cap space, so they can pick-up some other talent this summer to put around Arenas, Butler, and McGuire.

There is at least a decent chance that the Cavaliers may acquire Jamison.

IndiansFan337
01-01-2009, 06:54 PM
The problem with acquiring Jamison is that does it alienate Ben Wallace if we ask him to come off the bench?

Or do we ask Jamison to come off the bench? He did in Dallas for a year....

We don't have any major holes....That's why making a trade is such a big risk for messing up the current chemistry. That's why I think it is much more likely that we acquire a backup. Even if it is someone like Gerald Wallace who is surely starter quality, but would be a backup for us.

enabring
01-03-2009, 03:51 PM
Well, if we would get Jamison now we would then most likely sit Andy since he is used to the bench role and put Ben at center as he was in Detroit. That puts a scorer at PF and a defensive presence at C. When Z gets back we ease him in and figure it out based on the meshing of the players. I would like to think Wallace is seasoned enough to welcome a talent of Jamison's caliber, but I don't know that for sure.

infamous
01-03-2009, 04:36 PM
Well, if we would get Jamison now we would then most likely sit Andy since he is used to the bench role and put Ben at center as he was in Detroit. That puts a scorer at PF and a defensive presence at C. When Z gets back we ease him in and figure it out based on the meshing of the players. I would like to think Wallace is seasoned enough to welcome a talent of Jamison's caliber, but I don't know that for sure.

Good one. Why not put Big Ben as Center like in his Detroit days? With that we will have a low post scorer and a defensive stopper. With Lebron, Mo and Delonte(scorers), we cant have 2 low post scorers IMO. The other one should be a defensive stopper. So I agree with putting Big Ben at the center position if we get Jamison (God I hope).

y2koz7
01-05-2009, 10:27 AM
With Z out for about 4 weeks, this is similar to the Lakers last year around this time. Once Bynum went down with his knee injury, the Lakers fleeced the Grizzlies out of Gasol. It was a great trade for LA: they gave up players who weren't contributing, filled a need for the short term (a high quality big), and improved their team in the long run (once Bynum recovered). Surprisingly, there was no conversation about what bringing Gasol to the Lakers would do to LA's team chemistry.

I like our team now, but don't feel prepared to play in the Conference Finals or NBA Finals as it is. We should look at the model the Lakers used last year.