PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about Lamar Odom?

JordansBulls
12-22-2008, 05:49 PM
Recently everyone has been getting on Lamar's back about his play. It was quite obvious that Lamar benefited greatly when he played beside Pau Gasol and now that he doesnt his production isn't anywhere near the same, also add the fact he comes off the bench and it is quite obvious.

My question is: What do you expect from a player of his caliber? Would you want him on your team?

superkegger
12-22-2008, 06:00 PM
I think he sucks. He can play great sometimes, but more often than not, he'll make 4 or 5 absolutely boneheaded plays a game. He can't go right, he can't shoot, and aggression is unheard of for him. He sucks.

torontosports10
12-22-2008, 06:09 PM
right now i think i could help the Toronto Raptors. I think he would help out but i wouldnt get close to that contract.

Faneik
12-22-2008, 06:11 PM
He's talented but lacks fire in his game.

Kyben36
12-22-2008, 06:13 PM
He is stuck. He is not a Go to guy and now the Lakers have at least 2 players in front of him in terms of options. Kobe is obviosly the lakers #1 option and Gasol at #2. I would say that Bynum at #3 and then Odom, But since Odom is not a Good shooter, He realy doesnt fit. and as far as Him at PF, Like I said there are 2 opitons in front of him. SF is not for him because he cant shoot. He is talented but just cant produce next to better talent. IF he was on a team like the Bulls( nothing meaning just saying becasue we have no big men ) he would be much better. He would be our #1 option Down low and we could use him at the PF spot. He would get more touches and more of an oportunity. He is not a SF though. He is an athletic PF with handles. His Shot just isnt there. But like I said, he could produce on a team without a low post presence.

midwestmadman
12-22-2008, 06:14 PM
he doesn't suck he just isn't being utlized the correct way, we isn't a sound enough player to be used in the tri-angle offense, he needs to be in a fre flowing brand of basketball similar to NY or Golden State. It would be int he best interest in the Lakers to move him while they can get a few defensive minded pieces to a situation good for Lamar, him sitting on the bench and getting only 5-7 shots a game is doing nothign for his stock in the off season. Lamar flat out has game his numbers before coming to LA were solid but he went form the a nd 2 option to 3rd then 4th and now he is coming off the bench, if you aren;t going to play the guy in situations where can be valuable then cut him loose and let the guy play the way he can somewhere else. Lamar can easily be a 17-18 pts and 9-10 rebounds a game form many teams, maybe move him to Cleveland for the expiring contract of Wally Szerbiak? That give Cleveland that post player and another playmaker plus Lamar can play D even though the blind folsk in LA would differ, but LA Laker fans don't know jack about basketball anyway which is why they think they are going to win it all this year. LOL what a bunch of dreamers hey Laker fans stop posting your championship banter and liberal hippie crap about winning a NBA Championship this year because you won'y even be in the Finals this year, stop voting to have the Lakers on every NBA TV fan night telecast and just go shopping and act like being a vegetetarian is is going to save the world and make it greener you all suck!

Highlight
12-22-2008, 06:17 PM
I honestly think his bad play is a result of him coming off the bench and not playing with Pau anymore.

He needs to be the starting PF and Pau needs to be the starting center again. The Lakers need to bring Bynum off the bench like they did for those 3-4 weeks when Kwame was starting. Bynum was producing off the bench and I feel he will get lots more touches with the 2nd unit. Honestly, if you played along side, Derek Fisher, Kobe, Vlade/Luke, and Pau, how many touches do you expect?

The Lakers need to go back to what works and that's starting Lamar with Pau. If we don't do that, then Lamar is worthless. We're better off trading his expiring to a team who wants him and his cap space.

I've had Phil's back for a very long time, but right now, I feel he should look into doing what's worked for him in the past.

I think Lamar can help nearly any team in the league. He's still a good player in this league and is nearly an all-star. Lakers fans that hate on him are just frustrated because we're playing like trash.

midwestmadman
12-22-2008, 06:21 PM
Thank you highlight you are one laker fan that seems to know what's goign on, congrats i didn't think laker fans like you existed. Keep up the good work.

superkegger
12-22-2008, 06:28 PM
I honestly think his bad play is a result of him coming off the bench and not playing with Pau anymore.

He needs to be the starting PF and Pau needs to be the starting center again. The Lakers need to bring Bynum off the bench like they did for those 3-4 weeks when Kwame was starting. Bynum was producing off the bench and I feel he will get lots more touches with the 2nd unit. Honestly, if you played along side, Derek Fisher, Kobe, Vlade/Luke, and Pau, how many touches do you expect?

The Lakers need to go back to what works and that's starting Lamar with Pau. If we don't do that, then Lamar is worthless. We're better off trading his expiring to a team who wants him and his cap space.

I've had Phil's back for a very long time, but right now, I feel he should look into doing what's worked for him in the past.

I think Lamar can help nearly any team in the league. He's still a good player in this league and is nearly an all-star. Lakers fans that hate on him are just frustrated because we're playing like trash.

It's a good concept, but I think Phil's hands might be a little tied. I can't say for sure or with 100% certainty, but I'm pretty sure Laker management (aka Jim Buss in this case) would be pretty unsettled if he benched Bynum. While I agree it would be a good move, but unfortunately I don't see it happening.

The biggest thing is though that Lamar just doesn't suit the Lakers as currently constructed. He's a PF who plays like a point who can't shoot. We can't play him at the 3 really, and if we do, it takes away pretty much all of vlad and lukes mins. We need to do a little reshuffling with our sf's and lamar, getting a banger down low and a defensive 3 who can shoot.

jimbobjarree
12-22-2008, 06:37 PM
im happy cus he shut Booz down last year, if he sucks all of a sudden it increases our chances

mRc08
12-22-2008, 06:41 PM
i personally think lamar is a good player, but more than that a good teamate. The fact that he has accepted his role as a sixth man for the better of the team is saying alot to me. It's one thing to swollow your pride and take less shots and play team basketball, but its another to sacrifce your starting position. impressive if you ask me, especially in todays game, where money=minutes.

midwestmadman
12-22-2008, 06:41 PM
As for my comment of LA people being liberal hippies I take it you don;t live there which now makes you a worse a bandwagon Laker fan, cheers!

Highlight
12-22-2008, 07:01 PM
It's a good concept, but I think Phil's hands might be a little tied. I can't say for sure or with 100% certainty, but I'm pretty sure Laker management (aka Jim Buss in this case) would be pretty unsettled if he benched Bynum. While I agree it would be a good move, but unfortunately I don't see it happening.

The biggest thing is though that Lamar just doesn't suit the Lakers as currently constructed. He's a PF who plays like a point who can't shoot. We can't play him at the 3 really, and if we do, it takes away pretty much all of vlad and lukes mins. We need to do a little reshuffling with our sf's and lamar, getting a banger down low and a defensive 3 who can shoot.

Yeah, now that I think about it, you're right. Jim Buss would throw a fit if the player they're playing approximately 65 million is coming off the bench.

Yeah, the only way I feel Lamar will play well again, is if he starts at PF, which won't happen.

Call me crazy, but I kind of hope the Lakers don't fair well against Boston just because I feel management will ONLY make a change if we get blown out by Boston. If we keep up with them or win, I feel we'll keep this roster the rest of the season, and I really feel IF we make the finals again, we'll get smashed by Boston. (If Boston gets there again)

All in all, LA has to make a change, but to get back on topic, Lamar could help a lot of teams.

He's a good teammate, and a really good starting PF in this league (with 30+ minutes a game). He plays pretty good defense against opposing power forwards and he and Pau really held us down through the playoffs last year while Kobe was being Kobe.

Lamar has some negatives as well. superkegger pointed out that he thinks he's a PG in a PF's body or a shooting small forward. That's has been his problem, but last year that wasn't the case with him as much as it is this year. This year we see him trying to play on the perimeter, which doesn't cut it. He's not a perimeter player, nor will he ever.

But yeah, people are bashing Lamar IMO because of 2 reasons:

1. The Lakers not playing well (Too many close games and or defense is looking horrid. Not to mention now our offense is looking pretty shotty as well)
2. Lamar is not accustomed to coming off the bench. He's not used to playing without Pau or Bynum for a majority of the game. He's also started 95% of the games in his career.

Anyways, that's how I feel about this topic and obviously it's all my opinion.

midwestmadman
12-22-2008, 07:06 PM
Lakers can't play d and will not win the championship, they lack in so many areas it isn't funny. The stats don't lie, ever since the Detroit Pistons exposed them for being a soft team others have been running the scores up on them, the good thing for the trendy Lakers fans such as you superkegger is that the Lakers were lucky enough to get the calls down the stretch (much like Boston) and had the games given to them, I mean earned them from the line to still outscored those teams, so they have an attractive record. It's when they play a team that can play D the lose plain and simple just watch on X-Mas they will lose by double digits bank on it.

Note: LA's D allowed only 86.71 PPG before Detroit exposed them, they are allowing 104.33 since Nov. 14th. They don't play D and they will not win. At 98 PPG Allowed they are only 15th in the league in D, if they want to win they better work hard defensively.

midwestmadman
12-22-2008, 07:20 PM
Yes, I'm a total bandwagon fan

We already knew that but I am glad you can admit it, this means that you might be on the road to recovery. Let's try this to see if you are ready, please type the following message:

The L.A. Lakers are reflecting a better record for the team that they have on the floor.

Next:

The L.A. Lakers are only as good as the poor defense they play

you are doing great now try this one and you can be cured:

The L.A. Lakers will be lucky to make it back to the NBA Finals where any team that plays defense in the East Boston or Cleveland (most likely) will absolutely destroy the Lakers in 6 games or less thus sending us back home to start saying we will win next season (even though we won't).:clap:

hotpotato1092
12-22-2008, 07:32 PM
Great talent, terrible work ethic

QUICKTRADE
12-22-2008, 08:27 PM
here is a suggestion for you folks for three team trade that will benefit all teams.
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=3002~617~1016~2027~1981~2456~3 032~1717~2772&teams=4~4~18~4~13~13~13~13~13&te=&cash=

G-Funk
12-22-2008, 08:28 PM
The triangle offense id not his type of game...

G-Funk
12-22-2008, 08:42 PM
LA Laker fans don't know jack about basketball anyway which is why they think they are going to win it all this year. LOL what a bunch of dreamers hey Laker fans stop posting your championship banter and liberal hippie crap about winning a NBA Championship this year because you won'y even be in the Finals this year, stop voting to have the Lakers on every NBA TV fan night telecast and just go shopping and act like being a vegetetarian is is going to save the world and make it greener you all suck!

That's really unecessary.do u get off by dissing us everytime you get?

G-Funk
12-22-2008, 08:43 PM
here is a suggestion for you folks for three team trade that will benefit all teams.
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=3002~617~1016~2027~1981~2456~3 032~1717~2772&teams=4~4~18~4~13~13~13~13~13&te=&cash=

I would do that in a NY min.

ink
12-22-2008, 08:49 PM

The Lakers are lucky to have a player like Odom. Good to see someone appreciate the guy.

superkegger
12-22-2008, 08:51 PM

I don't like that trade at all really. Don't want TT, hes garbage. Nocioni has lost his edge and is just a chucker now. Jared Jeffries, please. I like Lee and Hinrich, but theres no way the Knicks give up Lee for Vlad, just not happening. The only player the Lakers really need from that is Hinrich.

LO for Hinrich is pretty much what I'm hoping for. I doubt it happens, but if I had a dream trade for the Lakers that would be it.

That would then allow us to move farmar, and while he's one of my favorite Lakers, if we got Hinrich, Id be willing to part with him. If we could move farmar and vlad for a reliabe backup big like well, oddly enough a guy like Turiaf or Kwame, I'd be happy. But the Lakers biggest need is pg

superkegger
12-22-2008, 08:53 PM
The Lakers are lucky to have a player like Odom. Good to see someone appreciate the guy.

I think we're rather unfortunate to have him quite frankly. We have him because we traded Shaq. If Shaq and Kobe and Phil could have reconciled, they'd still be together and probably would have won one or two more championships.

camador22
12-22-2008, 09:04 PM
I'd trade Odom for Marion in a heart beat. Laker fans must have forgot how great he's always played in the postseason. No way in hell would they have won more then 2 playoff series without him. I personally think it's Phils fault for benching him.

Rome
12-22-2008, 09:28 PM
Yes, I'm a total bandwagon fan for being a Laker fan my whole life. So because I'm not from LA, that means I can't like the Lakers? That makes sense. I guess that means people from Montana can't like any professional sports, since they have no professional sports teams. Just because I don't live in LA doesn't make me a bandwagon jumper. I've never been anything but a Laker fan.

Smells like a bandwagoner to me :cheer: jk

go Lakers and Celtics, my favorite teams!!! I was born in Boston and grw up in LA so i love them both!!:jumpy:

bha

Chronz
12-22-2008, 10:30 PM

Well put, I would let Bynum be the 6th man anyday on this team.

JordansBulls
12-22-2008, 10:37 PM

Good post. I also feel the Lakers started losing once they took Vlad out of the starting lineup. I still have no freaking idea why Walton is starting now.

innovator
12-22-2008, 10:58 PM

his not on the starting 5 anymore cuz bynum is back

ink
12-22-2008, 11:03 PM
I think we're rather unfortunate to have him quite frankly. We have him because we traded Shaq. If Shaq and Kobe and Phil could have reconciled, they'd still be together and probably would have won one or two more championships.

I think it's great that the Shaq-Kobe era is over. I don't mean that as an insult so don't anyone start jumping up and down. The NBA was getting stagnant during that era IMO. I think it's making a good recovery now. :D There are so many great teams, not just one powerhouse.

I also kinda prefer the current Lakers, strange as that may sound. The Shaq years were all about an unbelievable physical advantage. Now it's not so lopsided. The current Lakers are fantastic to watch.

da wood
12-22-2008, 11:45 PM
he doesn't suck he just isn't being utlized the correct way, we isn't a sound enough player to be used in the tri-angle offense, he needs to be in a fre flowing brand of basketball similar to NY or Golden State. It would be int he best interest in the Lakers to move him while they can get a few defensive minded pieces to a situation good for Lamar, him sitting on the bench and getting only 5-7 shots a game is doing nothign for his stock in the off season. Lamar flat out has game his numbers before coming to LA were solid but he went form the a nd 2 option to 3rd then 4th and now he is coming off the bench, if you aren;t going to play the guy in situations where can be valuable then cut him loose and let the guy play the way he can somewhere else. Lamar can easily be a 17-18 pts and 9-10 rebounds a game form many teams, maybe move him to Cleveland for the expiring contract of Wally Szerbiak? That give Cleveland that post player and another playmaker plus Lamar can play D even though the blind folsk in LA would differ, but LA Laker fans don't know jack about basketball anyway which is why they think they are going to win it all this year. LOL what a bunch of dreamers hey Laker fans stop posting your championship banter and liberal hippie crap about winning a NBA Championship this year because you won'y even be in the Finals this year, stop voting to have the Lakers on every NBA TV fan night telecast and just go shopping and act like being a vegetetarian is is going to save the world and make it greener you all suck!
wow and you know everything about baskeball i take it. you a dummy fo one you think we should move him to the cavs for wally. pay attention odom has an expiring contract also. and second why in the hell would they trade him for wally that cat is straight hot trash. and just so you know i eat aot of meat beef pork and chicken chump.

da wood
12-22-2008, 11:46 PM
and just to think you will probly get me banned for letting you know a few things

da wood
12-22-2008, 11:48 PM
Thank you highlight you are one laker fan that seems to know what's goign on, congrats i didn't think laker fans like you existed. Keep up the good work.
man you need to get a life. and stop hating on laker fans.

superkegger
12-22-2008, 11:52 PM
I think it's great that the Shaq-Kobe era is over. I don't mean that as an insult so don't anyone start jumping up and down. The NBA was getting stagnant during that era IMO. I think it's making a good recovery now. :D There are so many great teams, not just one powerhouse.

I also kinda prefer the current Lakers, strange as that may sound. The Shaq years were all about an unbelievable physical advantage. Now it's not so lopsided. The current Lakers are fantastic to watch.

I understand what you're saying. But, as a Lakers fan, when you had a chance, and a realistic one at that, to win more championships, its hard to say you're glad you passed on that. I too love the current makeup of the Lakers (well, for the most part), but at that point, Shaq was on the decline, but not declined. He still was the best C in the game, no doubt. It's all worked out for the Lakers, but the immediate talent we got in return was not good enough IMO. Like I said, it worked out, but damn.

da wood
12-22-2008, 11:54 PM
Hey moran I said that he would proser in a free flowing offense like GS and NY. Cleveland needs a post presense and LA needs a real shooter so why not dump and expiring contract for another expiring contract? Every team wants caps space in the next few years and LA is no different than any other team wanting to get cap relief. They Odom and Wally have the same pay, you add a guy that can shoot into the triangle do you even know how your triangle offense works idiot? Ever hear of B.J. Armstrong, John Paxon, or Steve Kerr? You just proved that you are nothing more than a typical LA Lakers fan that knows nothing about basketball. As for Odom going to Cleveland I am simply pointing out the versatiity that Lamar Odom posses, he can easily play in the post, again something that the Cavs could use do you have any idea what is going on outisde of LA in the NBA? Probably not as you are a typical Lakers Fan. Next time read a post before you comment I never said Cleveland was a up tempo offense moron.
hey moron get it throught you thick dumb *** skull that wally is trash we are no getting rid of odom because he sucks but because we want to address what we need and wally is not that guy. so go take a nap or something

da wood
12-23-2008, 12:04 AM

man new york is not going for that trade

SpaceCadet
12-23-2008, 12:05 AM
your just jealous because you're stuck watching us play on NBA TV

still1ballin
12-23-2008, 12:09 AM
He's garbage!

da wood
12-23-2008, 12:11 AM
your just jealous because you're stuck watching us play on NBA TV

thats what i'm saying hatings is not a good look for him. hes really trying to give us wally world for odom i had to laugh at that one.

what54!?
12-23-2008, 12:14 AM
Should have been an all-star, never lived up to his true potential but he's ok I guess.

lakersrock
12-23-2008, 12:23 AM
right now i think i could help the Toronto Raptors. I think he would help out but i wouldnt get close to that contract.

It's an expiring...:confused:

ink
12-23-2008, 12:30 AM
He's garbage!

Only one thing worse than haters -- haters who hate on their own players. That sig is truly one of the worst things I've seen on PSD in the last few years. Glad I don't have to see it too often anymore. :cool:

ink
12-23-2008, 12:31 AM
I understand what you're saying. But, as a Lakers fan, when you had a chance, and a realistic one at that, to win more championships, its hard to say you're glad you passed on that. I too love the current makeup of the Lakers (well, for the most part), but at that point, Shaq was on the decline, but not declined. He still was the best C in the game, no doubt. It's all worked out for the Lakers, but the immediate talent we got in return was not good enough IMO. Like I said, it worked out, but damn.

Yeah there were growing pains but that Gasol deal more than made up for the bad deals when Shaq left.

superkegger
12-23-2008, 12:34 AM
Yeah there were growing pains but that Gasol deal more than made up for the bad deals when Shaq left.

that's very true, and I'm very aware that if the shaq trade hadnt gone down, we wouldn't have Bynum, Farmar, Pau or LO.

But I'll tell you what, I'd trade those 4 for two more championships with Shaq any day.

Anthony Flores
12-23-2008, 12:39 AM
I'd take Lamar on my team then again the Wizards would take anybody at this point. I think that his lack of effectiveness is due to the fact he is coming off the bench.

still1ballin
12-23-2008, 12:43 AM
Only one thing worse than haters -- haters who hate on their own players. That sig is truly one of the worst things I've seen on PSD in the last few years. Glad I don't have to see it too often anymore. :cool:

If he was playing for your team, you will feel the same way. GURANTEED

what54!?
12-23-2008, 12:49 AM
well at least he isn't mark blount :pity:

ink
12-23-2008, 12:50 AM
If he was playing for your team, you will feel the same way. GURANTEED

I would never wear a sig saying GARBAGE about one of my players. I don't care how bad they are, I would never do that to one of my own players. Old-fashioned loyalty = good karma. :)

still1ballin
12-23-2008, 12:52 AM
I would never wear a sig saying GARBAGE about one of my players. I don't care how bad they are, I would never do that to one of my own players. Old-fashioned loyalty = good karma. :)

:laugh2: You say that now.

ink
12-23-2008, 01:20 AM
:laugh2: You say that now.

I'd say the same thing any time. :D

PRETTY BIRD!
12-23-2008, 01:56 AM
You guys are dumb....odom's a baller....4 all the laker fans hating on lo we wouldn't have gotten to the finals without him......and yeah theres nothing worse than hating on your own player and saying hes garbage....way to have team spirit dude!

JJ81
12-23-2008, 02:08 AM
I love lamar, great versatility and plays very well when he starts the PF with Pau at C. Lakers should try that and bring Bynum off the bench for a while.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
12-23-2008, 03:00 AM
I think he should be in a Nugget's uniform.

JayW_1023
12-23-2008, 04:39 AM
He is extremely versatile and talented, but I always though he sort of underachieved. There isn't much consistency in his game and he can sometimes flat out disapppear.

I like his game though.

Rome
12-23-2008, 05:33 AM
I'd take him...

UnWantedTheory
12-23-2008, 06:02 AM
He is a decent player who is inconsistant. I would not want him on my team, but that is not to say he isnt good. He is just being utilized the wrong way. His inconsistancy throughout his career is proof of that.

Lakersfan2483
12-23-2008, 06:17 AM
He is extremely versatile and talented, but I always though he sort of underachieved. There isn't much consistency in his game and he can sometimes flat out disapppear.

I like his game though.

Good assesment. I think Odom is extremely talented, but he is an underachiever and is very "INCONSISTENT." I have followed his career since he was a Clipper and have always felt he had the talent to be one of the best players in the NBA, but he has "never" lived up to those type of expectations.

KG2TB
12-23-2008, 06:46 AM
He's a great talent. He's big, great ball handling for a player of his size, can shoot the 3, can post up, but neither he can do extremely well. He's very versatile but is very inconsistent. From what I hear he's a good teammate. He has all the tools to be a superstar but I think it's his mentality or maybe his work ethic that holds him back. He isn't the smartest player around and can make a lot of untimely mistakes. With that being said, he's still a solid basketball player with a pretty good feel for the game.

It's pretty obvious he's in the dog house with the Lakers and has no future with the team. I think LA should cash in on him and I'd be all for my Bulls taking on his expiring contract while dishing out a few contracts that would hinder us in the future. This idea has been tossed around but I think a Hinrich + Nocioni for Odom deal would benefit both teams greatly. For the Lakers they get a very good point guard who plays great defense and can hit the 3 ball. He's also extremely intelligent and doesn't turn the ball over. Noc is what every championship caliber team needs. He's tough, rugged, takes charges, does all the little things, can hit the 3, and plays his heart out. Kind of like a James Posey. For the Bulls we get rid of two big contracts that don't have a future on this team because we already have Rose and Luol Deng. I love both Hinrich and Noc, but you can't pay the money for them when they're coming off the bench. I'd even deal Hinrich + Deng for Odom and 2 first round picks : D

JordansBulls
12-23-2008, 10:46 AM
He's a great talent. He's big, great ball handling for a player of his size, can shoot the 3, can post up, but neither he can do extremely well. He's very versatile but is very inconsistent. From what I hear he's a good teammate. He has all the tools to be a superstar but I think it's his mentality or maybe his work ethic that holds him back. He isn't the smartest player around and can make a lot of untimely mistakes. With that being said, he's still a solid basketball player with a pretty good feel for the game.

It's pretty obvious he's in the dog house with the Lakers and has no future with the team. I think LA should cash in on him and I'd be all for my Bulls taking on his expiring contract while dishing out a few contracts that would hinder us in the future. This idea has been tossed around but I think a Hinrich + Nocioni for Odom deal would benefit both teams greatly. For the Lakers they get a very good point guard who plays great defense and can hit the 3 ball. He's also extremely intelligent and doesn't turn the ball over. Noc is what every championship caliber team needs. He's tough, rugged, takes charges, does all the little things, can hit the 3, and plays his heart out. Kind of like a James Posey. For the Bulls we get rid of two big contracts that don't have a future on this team because we already have Rose and Luol Deng. I love both Hinrich and Noc, but you can't pay the money for them when they're coming off the bench. I'd even deal Hinrich + Deng for Odom and 2 first round picks : D

Because of Deng's contract I probably would as well.

Rose
Gordon
Nocioni
Odom
Gooden

But we would need to resign Gordon though.