PDA

View Full Version : Anyone think Phil Jackson is still coaching to pass Red Aurebach in rings?

JordansBulls
12-22-2008, 05:28 PM
Anyone think Phil Jackson is still coaching to pass Red Aurebach in rings?

Nighthawk
12-22-2008, 05:50 PM
This thread was made to be locked

I think Phil is still coaching to collect a ridiculously FAT paycheck.

superkegger
12-22-2008, 05:58 PM
I think hes coaching because he enjoys his job. Passing red would be a cherry on top, but not his whole motivation.

swish10
12-22-2008, 06:11 PM
Being a die hard Laker fan all of my life I can say I honestly believe Phil is still coaching the Lakers because his old lady is part owner of the team. I think that the ring deal is on his mind (which ring?) but one will never know with the zen master. All I can say is that I am glad he is still our coach.

HOZ THE KNICK
12-22-2008, 07:54 PM
it's not going to happen because the eastern conference is back.

_Sn1P3r_
12-22-2008, 09:27 PM
I think hes coaching because he enjoys his job. Passing red would be a cherry on top, but not his whole motivation.

That's what I would think.

ARMIN12NBA
12-22-2008, 09:30 PM

Agreed. Not to mention he is also the highest paid coach in all of sports.

Lost Art
12-22-2008, 09:34 PM
I personally think Phil Jackson is a terrible coach and a terrible motivator. IMO just about anyone could have won championships with his rosters, he's just lucky.

superkegger
12-22-2008, 10:16 PM
I personally think Phil Jackson is a terrible coach and a terrible motivator. IMO just about anyone could have won championships with his rosters, he's just lucky.

Doug Collins and Del Harris show evidence to the contrary.

NYMetros
12-22-2008, 10:19 PM
I've never thought Phil Jackson was a great coach. When Red was coaching, he was way ahead of his time. He was coming up with game plans that other teams couldn't even comprehend. Red is, and always will be the best coach of all-time in my opinion.

I've never really been a big fan of Phil either. Sure, he's won a lot of rings, but back when Red was coaching, it was way more hands-on and the coach had a lot more of an impact on the games.

I don't really think it's fair to say that Phil isn't as good as Red because of his players though. Sure, he's had Jordan, Kobe, Shaq, etc. But Red has had just as good players in his coaching tenure

JordansBulls
12-22-2008, 10:23 PM

Doug Collins never had the team when they were good. Del Harris did. Lakers were a 60 win team with Del Harris. The most the Bulls won with Doug Collins was 50 on the dot and that was with a rookie Pippen and Grant coming off the bench.

Lost Art
12-22-2008, 10:39 PM

Phil got both of those teams when they were hitting their stride. Teams don't go from nothing to a championship overnight. It takes some growing pains. Phil got both of those teams once they had matured and were ready to contend. He was in the right place at the right time IMO.

Anthony Flores
12-22-2008, 10:54 PM
I think he is coaching because he can still flat out coach

superkegger
12-23-2008, 12:32 AM
Doug Collins never had the team when they were good. Del Harris did. Lakers were a 60 win team with Del Harris. The most the Bulls won with Doug Collins was 50 on the dot and that was with a rookie Pippen and Grant coming off the bench.

Bulls still made it to the ECF with Collins. And do you really believe, if Doug Collins stayed the head coach, the bulls would have had two 3 peats? If you can honestly tell me that, then cool, but I would be hard pressed to believe anyone really believes Doug Collins was taking those Bulls teams to 6 NBA titles.

Phil got both of those teams when they were hitting their stride. Teams don't go from nothing to a championship overnight. It takes some growing pains. Phil got both of those teams once they had matured and were ready to contend. He was in the right place at the right time IMO.

Perhaps, but the Lakers were still a good team before PJ got there. Yes, he got there when Kobe was more mature and ready to be the contributor at the level of a champion, but I don't think it's as simple as being in the right place at the right time, that Phil was able to take them over that proverbial hump.