PDA

View Full Version : Which Conference is Stronger at this point? Eastern Conference or Western Conference

JordansBulls
12-22-2008, 12:51 PM
Which Conference is Stronger at this point? Eastern Conference or Western Conference

NOTE: Back up your answer as well.

Macedonian
12-22-2008, 12:57 PM
Eastern Conference

Eastern Conference... 210 wins
Western Conference... 192 wins

cubulls
12-22-2008, 12:58 PM
The Western Conference. They have 9 teams over .500 while the Eastern only has 6.

fredv
12-22-2008, 01:26 PM
West is still on top, even though 2 of the best 3 teams are in the East.

bdalakerdude32
12-22-2008, 01:39 PM
east is stronger with boston and cleveland. even atlanta and orlando are forces but the west is way deeper. dallas is 9th in the west at the moment and their percentage is .577. thats better than detroit who is in 5th in the east

SteveNash
12-22-2008, 01:42 PM
West has more depth.

East will win the championship.

jimbobjarree
12-22-2008, 01:51 PM
who cares...the western is more competitive though

madiaz3
12-22-2008, 01:51 PM
West has more teams with over .500 records because they have a higher % of bottom barrel teams that they play more often.

Bottom 5 of West
3-25
4-22
7-21
8-20
8-19

Bottom 5 of East
4-21
9-19
10-17
10-17
11-16

jehovah joe
12-22-2008, 02:42 PM
The Eastern Conference is 6 teams deep... Boston, Cleveland, Orlando, Atlanta, Detroit and Miami...

The Western Conference is 9 teams deep... LA, NEW O., Houston, Denver, Portland, San Antonio, Phoenix, Utah and Dallas...

Boston is the team to beat...

DamnGoat
12-22-2008, 02:44 PM
East is stronger at the top, but the West is deeper.

uchiha
12-22-2008, 02:48 PM

That is about as accurate as you can get... there will most likely be playoff teams coming out of the East who are under .500 while the West will be highly competitive with pretty damn good records. All in all, I think the Champion will come out of the East (Cavs)

Catfish1314
12-22-2008, 02:51 PM
The best of the East (Boston, Cleveland, Orlando) look better than the best of the West (Lakers, New Orleans, Houston) but as a whole the West is still better. It has a winning team out of the playoff picture while the East has two losing teams in the playoffs.

bostncelts34
12-22-2008, 02:59 PM
hard to say. But

east has more wins in total. I beleive the east is winning the interconference games. The east top teams are better than the west top teams. The west only has 9 teams, PERIOD. lol The east has Boston,cavs,detroit,magic,atlanta who can all be contenders. And then after that, you still got very good teams in Miami and toronto and philly who are extremely under acheiving.

You have so many horrible teams out west, its easier to get wins IMO

my vote goes to the east

djeller1139
12-22-2008, 03:03 PM
Power has shifted to the Eastern Conference. The West is A LOT weaker this year, and the East is stock full of young, talented teams.

lakers4sho
12-22-2008, 03:52 PM
Beyond the top 3 teams, there's no more competition in the East. Most of the West playoff teams can beat most East playoff teams in a 7 game series. And they can match up well with Boston.

West.

junion
12-22-2008, 04:08 PM
West is stronger. the west is beating themselves up while the east have 3-5 powers, but dont have as much competition as the west. then west's 9 over .500 teams show that.

But it really depends on what you consider "strong" to be. does it mean the total wins so far? (east) the better percentage? (east) playoff contender records? (west) defending champions? (east)... so it's really what you consider to be the factors in determining the "stronger" teams/conference.

superkegger
12-22-2008, 05:53 PM

x2

The Top 3 in the east are very good right now. But I think it would be a stretch to say anyone but those 3 will come out of the East.

Any of 9 teams could really come out of the West.

mRc08
12-22-2008, 06:38 PM
considering the 8th seed bulls just beat the jazz on the road coming off 4 games in 5 nights, i would say the east. oh yeah and the celtics...

SeoulBeatz
12-22-2008, 06:45 PM
West is still SLIGHTLY better, but the tide is turning, playing in the East can no longer be an excuse for all the ignorant west fans

Vinny642
12-22-2008, 07:02 PM
I go with the Western coast because the East gets kinda mushy after around the top 5

midwestmadman
12-22-2008, 07:26 PM
From top to bottom the West has the better teams however Bos and Cleveland I think would beat whoever comes out of the west in the finals, and Orlando would probably take anyonein the west 7 games and could possibly win if they add a better PG or SG a frontline of Dwight, Turkoglu, and Lewis is arguably one of the best if not the best fronline in the league combining a power game like Howard with a slasher like Lewis and a shooter like Turkgolu is a very dangerous frontline, they just need an up grade at the PG or the SG granted I think Nelson is playing better than I expected him to and has done a good job I just think a bigger PG would make a big difference in the way they could attack a D.

hotpotato1092
12-22-2008, 07:31 PM
The east is better at the top, but the west is just so deep, gotta go west.

braveniler58
12-22-2008, 07:32 PM
It's definitely been the Western Conference in recent years. This year, however, the conferences are more balanced -- purely because of the excellent play by Boston, Cleveland, and Orlando (you could also argue to include Atlanta in that, but not so much the Pistons anymore), but the West is still deeper and stronger overall.

While Los Angeles is obviously the favorite in the West as of now, anybody in the top 8 can make the Finals. You can't say the same for the East.

t-mac1nukka
12-22-2008, 07:48 PM
From top to bottom the West has the better teams however Bos and Cleveland I think would beat whoever comes out of the west in the finals, and Orlando would probably take anyonein the west 7 games and could possibly win if they add a better PG or SG a frontline of Dwight, Turkoglu, and Lewis is arguably one of the best if not the best fronline in the league combining a power game like Howard with a slasher like Lewis and a shooter like Turkgolu is a very dangerous frontline, they just need an up grade at the PG or the SG granted I think Nelson is playing better than I expected him to and has done a good job I just think a bigger PG would make a big difference in the way they could attack a D.

hahahahahaha!!!!!!! i dont think orlando would beat HOU, NO, or LAL more than twice in a series.

and to call lewis a slasher is a huge stretch. he is probably more of a shooter than turk!!!!!!

fairandbalanced
12-25-2008, 02:53 PM
The East is way better..........anyone watching the Orlando-New Orleans game?

Macedonian
12-25-2008, 03:06 PM
NBA’s Eastern Conference teams outplaying the West

The Western Conference has ruled the NBA the past decade. Not anymore.
West teams won seven of the past 10 championships and had a winning record against the East every season since 1998-99. Entering Thursday’s games, the East was 86-64 against the West this season.

Full story (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-easternresurgence&prov=ap&type=lgns)

chicagowhitesox
12-25-2008, 05:05 PM
east by far. look at how orlando crushed new orleans.

radartechy
12-25-2008, 05:46 PM
Anyone who thinks that Orlando beating a depleted New Orleans quantifies a valid consideration of how much better the East is (over the West) has little... if absolutely no... brains to muster a consideration of just how important a healthy Stojakovic and Daniels are to the teams' success.

Considering how poorly the Lakers play (DEFENSIVELY,) the Hornets could have beaten LA. The Hornets could easily beat any of the best Eastern teams... they have players to do a lot of damage.

But so could the Spurs, Suns, Jazz, Rockets, Mavericks, Nuggets and Trail Blazers. Nine obvious teams that the Western Conference will see as true contenders.

Consider to that effect, Boston, Cleveland and Orlando are obviously the "Cream of the Crop." The rest of the Eastern teams are simply the "Chrome on the Crap." Maybe Atlanta and Miami make a solid run at the playoffs... but that's only five teams that look like playoffs contenders. The east might even have the "ishy" teams, such as the Knicks and Bulls, making a run at the playoffs with possibly 40 wins. Against that, the Western teams will need about 55+ wins to be considered a playoffs team.

Don't read into one or two games... rather, read into the body of the season. The bigger problem for the Western teams is that they'll likely deplete themselves (energy-wise) prior to arriving to the big dance.

Advantage: Eastern Conference. (And I am one who thinks that the Cavaliers are gonna take it all -- barring any major injuries.) The way that Cleveland plays defense is what I'd call "Witnessing a Lynch-Mob Execution." The King is about to take his throne.

Macedonian
12-25-2008, 06:15 PM
Don't read into one or two games...And how about 150 games???
Entering Thursday’s games, the East was 86-64 against the West this season.

jamool26
12-25-2008, 06:50 PM
The whole NBA system doesn't seem to work very well. If a team makes a mistake in the league they usually pay for it for years and years. You basically need a superstar to compete and there are just not enough of them to go around. I guess it's the teams own stupidity most of the time, but it's the fans that I feel bad for. The Knicks, Sixers, and Bulls used to be franchises that would compete a lot of the time, but they have been struggling real bad for the most of the past decade. They are huge markets where the fans have been suffering so much that they are beginning to give up on the sport entirely, which definitely cannot be good for the NBA.

radartechy
12-25-2008, 09:09 PM
Everyone knows that the Lakers are struggling with their defense... but holding the Celtics says what about the East versus West?

Not a damn thing!

The West is competitive with any Eastern Conference team... but it's always an ISOLATED situation when you consider the regular season. But come playoffs, it boils down to which team comes with the players that can execute better on both ends.

Like I said earlier... I think the Cavaliers are gonna put the wood to the Celtics. They've got too many weapons on both ends of the floor.

As to the Lakers, they prove just how volatile the Western Conference is.
The Spurs could be their ultimate copetition come playoffs time. For me, it will boil down to the Celtics and Cavaliers in the East... with the Lakers and Spurs in the West. Pops could be sitting on a sleeper... and still come out smelling like ROSES.

barreleffact
12-25-2008, 10:32 PM
^I'm glad somebody is showing the spurs some respect. Even Jeff Van Gundy was crediting the Rockets(homer) and gave the spurs absolutely no love. he said teh west comes down to houston and LA realistically and thats bull. It comes down to LA and SA most likely. I hate the spurs but you HAVE to respect them. they could come out this year, and If they do, they win. IMO they are better than boston, and are definately better than the cavs(which is funny because the cavs and boston could beat LA realistically)

anyway, back to the topic. teh west is still stronger. the bottom playoff teams in the west will have better records than the bottom of the east.

G-Funk
12-25-2008, 11:33 PM
Houston has had 18 different starting line ups and still have 18 wins or so.Spurs had a slow start due to major injuries and Hornets are playing great right now.