PDA

View Full Version : Brady owns Cassel

Boston Faithful
12-22-2008, 12:19 PM
I'm ready articles all over the net about how the Patriots should keep Cassel over Brady?

People jump ship faster than ever these days.

This is not even a year removed from Brady throwing for over 4800 yards, 50 TD's with only 8 INTs and having a 117.2 QB rating.

Cassel is going to end up with 3700 or 3800 yards and he'll be lucky to get 24 TD's with probably 12 INTs.

Cassel's numbers are very good, Pro Bowl worthy, but Tom Brady is one of the best QB's of all-time. This is crazy talk.

The Pats went 16-0 last year, they are only 11-5 this year with Cassel.

Cassel may be younger and has his prime ahead of him, but Brady still has 3 to 4 years of best QB in the game football in him. He might even have 5 or 6 years in him as we have Warner a contender for MVP and Farve playing great football at ages 38 or 39.

This is so damn stupid. The Patriots will be back next year in a grand way, atop of the football world.

marlinsfan24
12-22-2008, 12:21 PM
You have to realize that his knee injury is very serious, the same thing Cullpepper was never fully able to come back from. There has to be some speculation if he'll ever be the same again.

Vincent33
12-22-2008, 12:45 PM
I'm ready articles all over the net about how the Patriots should keep Cassel over Brady?

This is not even a year removed from Brady throwing for over 4800 yards, 50 TD's with only 8 INTs and having a 117.2 QB rating.

Cassel is going to end up with 3700 or 3800 yards and he'll be lucky to get 24 TD's with probably 12 INTs.

Cassel's numbers are very good, Pro Bowl worthy, but Tom Brady is one of the best QB's of all-time. This is crazy talk.

Cassel may be younger and has his prime ahead of him, but Brady still has 3 to 4 years of best QB in the game football in him. He might even have 5 or 6 years in him as we have Warner a contender for MVP and Farve playing great football at ages 38 or 39.

This is so damn stupid. The Patriots will be back next year in a grand way, atop of the football world.

Yeah Cassel's numbers are very good and the Patriots aren't sure how Brady's knee will react when he gets back on the field this spring. I do think the Patriots are going to offer Cassel a contract or even franchise him and that some other desperate team will outbid New England and forfeit their 1st round picks to get Cassel. While it would be nice for the Patriots to retain Cassel in case there is a problem with Brady's rehab, imo Cassel is going to get his big payday from another team and turn into another Schaub like QB or maybe even a Garrard...one good year, then big contract, and then nothing good. Brady will be the starter next year, no doubt. And with an extra 1st round pick for the 2010 draft...Pats will be sitting pretty.

elements1985
12-22-2008, 10:58 PM
Though the Patriots are never usually sentimental with their personnel decisions, Brady is, for all partical purposes, someone to be sentimental over. To trade away someone who continually made salary sacrifices for his team to sign more players -- not to mention his leadership - is something the Patriots should consider during the off-season.

However, to the Patriots, nobody is irreplacable. I don't care what anyone says, the Patriots will listen to offers during this off-season, and they might consider trading him despite his HOF career thus far. The only question is, I think, whether or not they believe O'Connell has more upside than Cassell? If yes, then keep Brady and groom him.

But the more important question is, why is Randy Moss making 14 million a year? Great player, and important to our offense; but I'd rather dump that huge contract rather than Brady's. No WR is worth that. That money could be used to rebuild the D!

torrance
12-22-2008, 11:54 PM
I've only seen one article mentioning the possibility of trading Brady. I wrote it off as another reporter trying to make headlines.

I'm impressed with how Cassel has progressed and played, but Brady is the man, and I'd be very surprised if he doesn't bounce back after his injury. He's never been the most mobile QB anyway, so I doubt his injury will affect him that much the way it did Culpepper. Two different styles.

As far as trading Moss is concerned, my understanding is he signed for 3 years and $27 million (9/year), and I wouldn't think of trading him. He's extremely important to the offense, commands double coverage at all times, which opens up the field for Welker, Gaffney and all the running backs.

MilledgeGomez
12-23-2008, 11:47 AM
Carson Palmer had the same injury and came back fine before he got hurt again but this time its his shoulder. I cant wait for Brady to come back it will be a great day.

Fribbles
12-23-2008, 03:52 PM

Before I start I wanna say I am the biggest Tom Brady and Pats fan and I am not dogging what he and the pats offense did last year...

HOWEVER, IMO, the Patriots have a big decision to make. Trade Brady for 2 first round picks and a third round pick, free up cap space (which could also fix the defense, NOT trading Moss) and get younger. Matt Cassel had a Pro Bowl season and if Farve was in the NFC Cassel would be in over Cutler (I don't no how a guy who leads the league in INT's thrown gets in anyway) after not playing full football season since HIGH SCHOOL. He led his team to a (possible) 11-5 record while losing Harrison, Bruschi, Maroney and thomas. He could be another Daunte Cullpepper we don't know, no body knows. But do you take a chance on a knee that may not even be ready come next season or deal Brady, get younger and have more cap space to bring in free agents and fill key positions....

Im im the lions, vikings, bears, browns or texans...im callin NE in the off-season to see what it may take

penuch
12-23-2008, 10:34 PM
NO WAY the Pats trade Brady. Seriously people get a hold of yourselves. Also the Brady - Culpepper comparisons don't really work cause part of Dante's success was the he could use his legs when the passing game broke down. That has never been part of brady's game so his kneww doesn't even have to be back at 100% for him to still be successful. I also think that the Pats are going to keep Brady and Cassel. Can never be to safe :)

blacknell
12-23-2008, 11:26 PM
tearing an ACL is different for all players. You can never know how it wille affect Brady he might come back like Mcnabb or come back like cullpepper. And buy the way the news made it seem with the infections it looks like he might come back like cullpepper. I think NE should try to resign Cassell and see what they can get for Brady.. Look at it this way cassell is younger

Wake's Fastball
12-23-2008, 11:35 PM
NO WAY the Pats trade Brady. Seriously people get a hold of yourselves. Also the Brady - Culpepper comparisons don't really work cause part of Dante's success was the he could use his legs when the passing game broke down. That has never been part of brady's game so his kneww doesn't even have to be back at 100% for him to still be successful. I also think that the Pats are going to keep Brady and Cassel. Can never be to safe :)

Exactly what I was thinking.

Personally, if I'm the Patriots, I franchise tag Cassel until I'm sure Brady's good to go, then dump him to the 49ers or someone for a few picks. Brady's the man until he proves otherwise.

st3voness
12-24-2008, 06:44 PM
Patriots fans and their blind optimism -- it's time to realize Tom Brady will never be the same again. Did you read that? Never.

Sure, he can come back and play next year, but he isn't going to put up his MVP numbers at all. Personally, I'd keep Cassel and get what you can for Brady while everyone thinks he has any value.

Ewagner
12-24-2008, 10:53 PM
this is answered very simply. the patriots had one of the easiet schedules in football this year. look at what brady did against a much more difficult schedule last year. on top of that brady signed a very cap friendly contract and has been a team first guy. not that cassel has not and cassel has been great but i honestly don't think that this is really a debate. Brady is a Hall of Famer Cassel is a solid player but not in the same league and i think that will be realized when he goes somewhere else next year

st3voness
12-25-2008, 12:36 AM
Compare Brady's numbers to Cassel's numbers in their first year as starter. Cassel beats Brady; not by much, but a considerable amount.

With Cassel, you have a great young guy who has the potential to be great just like Brady. By getting rid of Cassel and taking a chance on Brady, you're expecting Brady who is:
- an aging veteran.
- been out of the game for a year.
- overcoming a serious injury.
- will be more likely to lose a lot, if not all, mobility in the pocket (sitting duck).

He's just not going to be what you all expect of him.. mark my words.

penuch
12-25-2008, 01:24 AM
Compare Brady's numbers to Cassel's numbers in their first year as starter. Cassel beats Brady; not by much, but a considerable amount.

With Cassel, you have a great young guy who has the potential to be great just like Brady. By getting rid of Cassel and taking a chance on Brady, you're expecting Brady who is:
- an aging veteran.
- will be more likely to lose a lot, if not all, mobility in the pocket (sitting duck).

Have you ever watched Brady play? He is not a scrambler. Yeah he moves around a little in the pocket, but not to the point where he needs extreme mobility. I really don't think anyone can assume either way what he is gonna be, but I would be willing to be more likely than not that he will find a way to comeback. I think he has proved throughout his career that if you bet against him you will be wrong more often than not.

I honestly don't believe that Cassel can be as great as brady. Good but nowhere as great. Brady is a surefire 1st Ballot HOFer with 3 superbowl rings.

cigar17
12-25-2008, 04:38 PM
hi pats fans
What do you do with matt cassel next year ??
matt could start for few teams like the lions browns and 49ers

celticfan
12-25-2008, 08:48 PM
I mean Tom Brady tore his ACL and MCL which is very serious. We need to hold onto Cassel until we know that Tom will be okay. If Tom comes to training camp and does not do well throwing the ball we need to have someone who knows the system to tak e over. We just need to see how Tom returns before making any moves

EASTCOAST
12-26-2008, 01:29 AM
Culpepper was good when he had Randy Moss and Chris Carter catching his passes. I know Brady has good receivers now, but Brady won superbowls with no-name receivers. Regardless of injury, he hasnt lost his decision making capabilities.

Crickr
12-26-2008, 10:07 AM
I mean Tom Brady tore his ACL and MCL which is very serious. We need to hold onto Cassel until we know that Tom will be okay. If Tom comes to training camp and does not do well throwing the ball we need to have someone who knows the system to tak e over. We just need to see how Tom returns before making any moves
The Pats may have no choice in the matter. I think Cassell will require a big payday and even if he is franchised it woill cost the Pats in the neighborhood of 10 mil . That is a huge cap hit and one they could better put to use of getting much needed help of the defense and offense . If they do franshise him the cba has rules that need to be followed. I don't see the Pats signing him unless there is a definate problem with Tom's knee. It will be a decision that will needto be made before Matt is elegable for free agency which happens soon after the season ends.

Ewagner
12-26-2008, 12:19 PM
this is what i think will happen with cassel. they will franchise him to see if anyone will bite and trade the 2 first round picks it would take to sign him. if that does not happen i could see the them taking off the tag and putting the transition tag on him so they get something for him

Patsfreak1776
12-26-2008, 12:56 PM
The track record of QBs coming back from this injury is not very good. Cassel has proven that he is a franchise type guy. I have really become a fan of this guy. Obviously, Belichick and Pioli knew what they were getting when they drafted him. I say franchise him for next season just in case. If Brady isn't Brady then you trade Brady and give Cassel a huge contract. Essentially this is his rookie season, his upside is limitless.

bagwell368
12-26-2008, 03:02 PM

- an aging veteran.

Ummm. do you think better personal (WR) around Cassell then what Brady had might account for the numbers? Or sitting around for years absorbing the system? I promise if/when Cassell is signed and then dealt for a pick, that his new team better not be a wreck or he won't look too good - which makes it a perfect time to trade him - he can't hurt us, and we get something for it.

If then Brady shows he cannot come back 100%, guess what? He'll also be traded to a team that thinks it is one great old timer QB from winning also for picks - or worst comes to worse, he won't be resigned or be cut. And then from behind Door C will come our new new QB - currently our #3 - also a product of intense coaching, and probably look pretty damn good - because BB is the best coach going.

So I think the answer is in on the question. Did Brady make BB, or did BB make Brady?

bagwell368
12-26-2008, 03:03 PM
Oh yeah, don't for 2 seconds think that they will sign Cassell in the "hopes" of trading him. They will identify the team and terms and then decide. No hope about it.

nygiants242
12-26-2008, 03:04 PM
How do you know what Brady is going to be like when he gets back?

gauth25
12-26-2008, 08:31 PM
first off, brady is way better then cassel. theres no arguing that. second, i would be worried about bradys healthy IF he was a running quarterback but hes not. he is a pocket QB and has no need to run around like culpepper used to or romo or mcnabb. if he was a running Qb i would be very worried but hes not

bagwell368
12-26-2008, 09:18 PM
first off, brady is way better then cassel. theres no arguing that. second, i would be worried about bradys healthy IF he was a running quarterback but hes not. he is a pocket QB and has no need to run around like culpepper used to or romo or mcnabb. if he was a running Qb i would be very worried but hes not

runninng != quick/elusive

For all the jokes about Bradies foot speed he is a master of moving in the pocket. That play he got crunched on, he wasn't moving in his usual way - age, Giselle?? who knows, but it will require the Pats to spend a lot more on OL guys that hold the line if he he losses even 10% of that quality.

Do not count the chickens yet.

KingJamsI
12-27-2008, 03:14 PM
Tom is also now the proud fiance of the worlds most famous and wealthy supermodel, so yeah.... Brady owns Cassel.

bagwell368
12-27-2008, 11:39 PM
she might be famous and rich, but man that face is scary!

Super.
12-28-2008, 02:14 AM
ok look this is crazy talk
the patriots WILL NEVER EVER NEVER EVER trade Brady
he is THE BEST QB in the league, point blank

Cassel is good because he has Welker on one side, and Moss (future HOF) on the other side, plus he knows the Patriots increbily complicated offense, watch Cassel struggle elsewere and brady put up more big numbers

TheRedMarauder
12-28-2008, 01:46 PM
NBCSports' Tom Curran reports that Tom Brady's recovery from ACL and MCL surgery is "well" behind schedule.

Curran says that since Brady had staph infections cleared from his knee, both ligaments remain "loose" and scar tissue may need to be removed through yet another surgery. If that happened, he'd miss the 2009 season. Since the Patriots want to avoid another surgery, Brady may be at risk of another big injury. All the uncertainty could force the Pats to franchise tag Matt Cassel.

rotoworld

dbroncos78087
12-28-2008, 04:56 PM
Looks like franchising Cassel is the only way to go, unless they can get him to stay for another year and then let him go or something like that.

piercethetruth
12-28-2008, 09:18 PM
hi pats fans
What do you do with matt cassel next year ??
matt could start for few teams like the lions browns and 49ers

i think he could start for a couple more teams than those three pathetic organizations...i still cannot believe all of the fair weather fans that wanted cassel out of new england this pre season. admit that you were wrong with your rants. now for brady. i believe they should atleast franchise cassel because whether you want to believe it or not, tom is hurt bad. by all means, they should't trade brady, even though i am a die hard usc fan and absolutely love matty cassel. if tom is healthy enough to play in 09 then go for it. cassel proved he can make the big bucks anywhere else in the league. (excluding the mannings, brees, and rivers) do no trade brady because he is one of the best ever to play the game, but you never know with cassel, everyone just needs one chance to prove what they can do and he did that this season with the pats. good job mat and go get a big pay check for someone else if tom is back and healthy, all the pats fans, fair weather or not, appreciate what you did for us this season.

piercethetruth
12-28-2008, 09:23 PM
ok look this is crazy talk
the patriots WILL NEVER EVER NEVER EVER trade Brady
he is THE BEST QB in the league, point blank

Cassel is good because he has Welker on one side, and Moss (future HOF) on the other side, plus he knows the Patriots increbily complicated offense, watch Cassel struggle elsewere and brady put up more big numbers

i love tom but put him on the lions, where cassel might end up, and see what numbers he puts up with no o-line and only one decent receiver..

NCBoSoxfan21
12-29-2008, 11:29 AM
Carson Palmer had the same injury and came back fine before he got hurt again but this time its his shoulder. I cant wait for Brady to come back it will be a great day.

He did? I remember he led the Bengals to the playoffs against Pittsburgh and came back garbage the next year.

I love Brady too, but I also loved Bledsoe AND THE SAME TALK went on between Brady-Bledsoe. Football is a business and Kraft, Pioli, and Belichick run it more like a business than anyone in the league. There is no sentimental when it comes to players and the Patriots ask Bledsoe, ask Samuel, ask McGinest, ask Branch, ask Vinitiari. If they think for one minute Brady isn't going to Tom Brady they will trade him to Detriot for one of their first round picks in a heart beat. It's win or go home in Boston ladies and gents and that's the truth.

The Intimidator
12-29-2008, 06:18 PM
He did? I remember he led the Bengals to the playoffs against Pittsburgh and came back garbage the next year.

Dude, do your homework. Palmer's injury was in the 2005 playoffs, and then he came back in 2006 and threw for 4,035 yards and 28 touchdowns. Is that garbage to you?

musclemenace
12-29-2008, 06:36 PM
Brady wont be back in time for next year, as I anticipate (based on readings) that his injury will require further surgical procedures to repair the ligaments "looseness".

Best bet is to resign Cassel, and name him the heir to the Patriots QB throne. I think Brady's career might be a wash; that is, over and done with.

SLATEmosphere
12-29-2008, 06:55 PM
Brady looks like he may miss the 09 season too..wow..

The Intimidator
12-29-2008, 07:24 PM
Brady wont be back in time for next year, as I anticipate (based on readings) that his injury will require further surgical procedures to repair the ligaments "looseness".

Best bet is to resign Cassel, and name him the heir to the Patriots QB throne. I think Brady's career might be a wash; that is, over and done with.

You're just one of many uneducated people out there. If you buy into the report that came out yesterday, which has been refuted by other reports, then you're just thinking wishfully. Brady is on track to return next season, and his career is anything but a "wash".

NCBoSoxfan21
12-30-2008, 10:02 AM
So Carson had one good year after that? Where has he been since then?

Were not talking about back spasms or a broken rib here. Its THE MOST crucial piece of a qb (outside of their arm) and Brady's is ruined. Not to mention the transplant became infected and that he's behind in his recovery, yet again.

Like I said. Whether I think it's smart or not, I'm almost certain Brady is traded.

ddudeman0101
12-30-2008, 02:11 PM
I really think that Cassel will be gone. I believe he will get franchised and then traded to a team like the lions. I don't believe that Cassel was really ever the quarterback of the future for the Pats because I think the QB of the future is Kevin O'Connell. Why would the Pats use a 3rd round pick on him if they saw Cassel as the future.

The Intimidator
12-30-2008, 06:01 PM
So Carson had one good year after that? Where has he been since then?

No, wrong again. He followed that solid 2006 season with another good year in 2007. He threw for a career best 4,131 yards, completed 65 percent of his passes, and threw 26 touchdowns. He was injured this season, and therefore didn't perform well in the 4 games he played in.

Were not talking about back spasms or a broken rib here. Its THE MOST crucial piece of a qb (outside of their arm) and Brady's is ruined. Not to mention the transplant became infected and that he's behind in his recovery, yet again.

You're REALLY jumping to conclusions here. Brady's knee is anything but ruined. Are you his surgeon? Do you honestly have more information than we all do on this matter? Sure, the knee became infected after his operation, but the infection was flushed out. Also, if you honestly believe the report that says his recovery is being delayed, then you're way too gullible. Brady was already said to have been rehabbing his knee 5 or 6 weeks ago, so his recovery time could not have been affected all that much.

Like I said. Whether I think it's smart or not, I'm almost certain Brady is traded.

I try to avoid name-calling, but if you honestly believe this, then you're an IDIOT.

hatch81
12-30-2008, 06:08 PM
I do not see the Patriots trading Brady. Both Belichick and Kraft love this guy. Belichick drafted him it wasn't like with Bledsoe and Kosar in Cleveland. He did not draft them two so he wanted his own players. So i would be shocked that he would do that to Brady, the guy did win 3 super bowls for him and kraft.

The Intimidator
12-30-2008, 06:46 PM
I do not see the Patriots trading Brady. Both Belichick and Kraft love this guy. Belichick drafted him it wasn't like with Bledsoe and Kosar in Cleveland. He did not draft them two so he wanted his own players. So i would be shocked that he would do that to Brady, the guy did win 3 super bowls for him and kraft.

Well, Belichick does his job without emotion, so if trading Brady would make the team better in 2009, he would do it. The fact that Brady won him 3 Super Bowls wouldn't factor into his decision. The reason why we won't trade Brady is because it isn't a good business decision, and wouldn't help the team in 2009.

NCBoSoxfan21
12-31-2008, 11:21 AM
You just said I'm an idiot for saying the same thing. So that makes you what? A hypocritical moron? I'm not sure how to classify that level or stupidity.

Brady has been time and again troubled by this knee surgery, he almost lost the transplant due to infection and has so far not released a statement against the article claiming his recovery is behind, which tells me that is in fact, behind.

Stop acting like you know everything. Brady's chances of being traded are just as good as Cassel leaving. If you knew anything about the Patriots, it would be, the BB doesn't go by the public opinion. Brady might not be 100% next year or ever again. Trading him IS an option no matter what YOU think.

The Intimidator
12-31-2008, 03:27 PM
You just said I'm an idiot for saying the same thing. So that makes you what? A hypocritical moron? I'm not sure how to classify that level or stupidity.

Brady has been time and again troubled by this knee surgery, he almost lost the transplant due to infection and has so far not released a statement against the article claiming his recovery is behind, which tells me that is in fact, behind.

Stop acting like you know everything. Brady's chances of being traded are just as good as Cassel leaving. If you knew anything about the Patriots, it would be, the BB doesn't go by the public opinion. Brady might not be 100% next year or ever again. Trading him IS an option no matter what YOU think.

You said that you were certain that Brady would be traded. I didn't say that whatsoever. I said that if Belichick felt it would help the team, he would do it. I then said that he wouldn't, because it would not help improve the team. How is that similar to what you said?

Now, for the record, why would Brady be traded? What team would trade for a QB coming off an injury, especially if you think he's that behind in his recovery? You have to think of both sides. So, I stand by what I said. If you think Brady is traded, then you're an IDIOT.