PDA

View Full Version : LeBron hints at signing extension after this season

JIDsanity
12-20-2008, 11:58 PM
"LeBron hints at signing extension after this season

By Art Garcia, NBA.com
Posted Dec 20 2008 10:03PM

LeBron James cracked open the possibility for the first time Saturday of signing an extension with Cleveland after this season.

The forgone conclusion has been James finishing his deal with the Cavaliers in 2010 and going into that summer as the Alpha Dog in a bumper crop of free agents. That's likely still the course, though James is eligible to sign an extension in July, 2009.

"After this season, I think I will consider it," James said before the Cavs left Denver for Oklahoma City.

"We need to play out the season, of course, and like I've said, I live for the moment, but the direction we're headed in is everything that I expected and more. I'm definitely going to keep an open mind about the situation."

James should be pleased, as the season couldn't be going much better for the Cavaliers. Cleveland owns the second-best record in the NBA (behind defending champion Boston) and is considered the best bet to unseat the Celtics in the Eastern Conference.

The Cavaliers' 22-4 start is the best in franchise history and the Central Division leaders are coming off Saturday's 105-88 dismantling of Northwest-leading Denver on the road. The Nuggets are another in a long line of blowout victims this season, as Cleveland sports the league's largest point differential.

However, the Cavs' playoff run will likely go a long way in determining whether or not James signs after the season. Just reaching the NBA Finals might not be enough. James willed Cleveland there with a transcendent playoff run in 2007, but the Cavs were denied the Larry O'Brien trophy by San Antonio.

Since then, general manager Danny Ferry and coach Mike Brown have worked to improve the cast around James, adding Mo Williams, Ben Wallace, Wally Szczerbiak and Delonte West through trades.

Brown has praised the cohesiveness of the current group.

"Our guys understand that we're a defensive team," he said. "That's our identity, but the biggest thing is just the chemistry that the group has amongst one another. They like each other a ton and they want to play for one another, which makes it fun."

James is having as much fun as anyone, even if his numbers are down across the board. He's playing less and the Cavs are winning more, a formula James gladly subscribes to. And when he needs to take over a game, he does just that.

James has been stung by criticism that he's too preoccupied with 2010, most notably by TNT analyst Charles Barkley. James isn't worried about that perception. It would be foolish, he said, not to think about what lies ahead.

"Years go by so fast that it's hard not to think about the future," he said. "You live for the moment, of course, but you've also got to prepare for the future. That's life. That's everybody. Being in the situation you're in now, you definitely think about it, but you do live for the moment."

As for what the future holds after this season, James remains open.

"I'm definitely going to weigh all my options," he said."
Hope this quiets the bs Kinck, and Nets talk . Link (http://www.nba.com/2008/news/12/20/lebron.extension/index.html)

Jonathan2323
12-21-2008, 12:02 AM
i bet the Knick fans and organization are freaking out.

Vinny642
12-21-2008, 12:04 AM
Close this thread, or the other Lebron contract thread that was made.

Jonathan2323
12-21-2008, 12:05 AM
^or merge them