PDA

View Full Version : Report: LeBron considers extension with Cavs

unwantedplayer
12-20-2008, 11:55 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3784334

He would a hell of a lot better if he stayed in Cleveland than if he want to the Knicks.

what54!?
12-20-2008, 11:57 PM
I hope he does so all the lebron 2010 talk will be done.

Vinny642
12-21-2008, 12:01 AM
^^^
LOL If the Cavs were losing Lebron would be out the door in 2010. But its good if he signs the extention because its getting annoying.

ARMIN12NBA
12-21-2008, 12:03 AM
He's not signing an extension. He is simply trying to get media attention. He even said a couple weeks ago that he wants to talk about 2010 and that July 1st, 2010 would be the biggest day of his life...How is it going to be a big or great day if he already signed an extension? He is contradicting himself right there. This is nothing more than media manipulation.

JordansBulls
12-21-2008, 12:08 AM
Yeah he justs wants to see what the Cavs are willing to do.

Lebron come to Chicago. You would be the man and Rose wouldn't mind.
:D

Jonathan2323
12-21-2008, 12:12 AM
Knick fans right now:ohno::ohno:

goku
12-21-2008, 12:16 AM
^^^^ i know then next they will be talking about wade

what54!?
12-21-2008, 12:17 AM
^^^^ except Wade is staying in Miami!! :D

cubulls
12-21-2008, 12:17 AM
He is only saying this because they are doing so well. When he misses the Finals this year, he will change his tune.

JIDsanity
12-21-2008, 12:18 AM
Man I want this 2010 mess to be over with

what54!?
12-21-2008, 12:20 AM
He is only saying this because they are doing so well. When he misses the Finals this year, he will change his tune. and it begins :rolleyes:

JIDsanity
12-21-2008, 12:43 AM
and it begins :rolleyes:

I know right. People find a way around everything if it benefits them. They will misquote the hell out of someone, or do whatever it takes.

superkegger
12-21-2008, 01:17 AM
LeBron is a much a business man as he is a basketball player. He's simply just stirring the pot.

homestarunner93
12-21-2008, 01:20 AM
I hope all the big FAs stay away from NY. I think that would be hilarious.

BTownTeamsRKing
12-21-2008, 01:36 AM
^^^^ except Wade is staying in Miami!! :D

not gonna lie, Wade is the man and if he ever wore Celtics Green, id go crazy

LeBrowns
12-21-2008, 01:43 AM
When LeBron says something that sounds like he supports the Knicks its OMGZ LeBron to NY 2010! But when its vice versa no one takes it seriously.

iam brett favre
12-21-2008, 01:48 AM
jazz are going to get lebron and dwade in 2010 what are you guys talking about

what54!?
12-21-2008, 01:56 AM
^^^^ :rolleyes:

TriberForLifer
12-21-2008, 02:07 AM
When LeBron says something that sounds like he supports the Knicks its OMGZ LeBron to NY 2010! But when its vice versa no one takes it seriously.

Sooooooooooooo right! Eff the media - even though I'm part of it, haha.

And can someone explain to me how going to New York is going to make him any more popular than he is right now? He's practically the most popular athlete walking the planet. He's getting all these endorsements, etc. while still a member of the Cleveland Cavaliers. Nothing will change that - unless he totally changes his personality.

Or can someone explain to me why no one is talking about all the money the Cavs are going to have off the books in 2010? Or why even ESPN announcers seem to have to declare this as a "consideration" as if to say, 'Don't worry everyone. LeBron will probably still go to New York.'

I agree with the consensus: This is nothing more than a business ploy to keep people talking. But let's also not forget that all of LeBron's family (mainly his mother who he worships) and friends live in Akron. Don't forget how much he loves his hometown (he has '330,' the area code of Akron, tattooed on his forearm). Don't forget how much he just poured in to a multi-million dollar mansion midway between Akron and Cleveland just about a year ago (complete with bowling alley and gigantic bust of him at the crest of the house).

It's not as unreasonable as people think for him to remain a Cavalier.

unwantedplayer
12-21-2008, 02:15 AM

And can someone explain to me how going to New York is going to make him any more popular than he is right now? He's practically the most popular athlete walking the planet. He's getting all these endorsements, etc. while still a member of the Cleveland Cavaliers. Nothing will change that - unless he totally changes his personality.

Or can someone explain to me why no one is talking about all the money the Cavs are going to have off the books in 2010? Or why even ESPN announcers seem to have to declare this as a "consideration" as if to say, 'Don't worry everyone. LeBron will probably still go to New York.'

I agree with the consensus: This is nothing more than a business ploy to keep people talking. But let's also not forget that all of LeBron's family (mainly his mother who he worships) and friends live in Akron. Don't forget how much he loves his hometown (he has '330,' the area code of Akron, tattooed on his forearm). Don't forget how much he just poured in to a multi-million dollar mansion midway between Akron and Cleveland just about a year ago (complete with bowling alley and gigantic bust of him at the crest of the house).

LeBron is a superstar. Once he gets his paycheck, he will think very little of his mansion and get a new one. My point is that he will have so much money by 2010 that he can do the same thing, or even better, with his new house.

infamous
12-21-2008, 03:57 AM
LeBron is a superstar. Once he gets his paycheck, he will think very little of his mansion and get a new one. My point is that he will have so much money by 2010 that he can do the same thing, or even better, with his new house.

I see your point, but you know that building a mansion doesn't take overnight right?

ARMIN12NBA
12-21-2008, 04:28 AM

No he is not...Not even close.

He is so rich that commuting from New York to Cleveland wouldn't be a big deal. Neither would be commuting his friends or his mom. I'm sure his mom would move with him wherever he goes. The fact remains that the Knicks (and Lakers--but they aren't relevant in 2010 capspace) are the most popular team in the world and Lebron would probably become the most popular athlete in the world if he goes to the Knicks. He isn't even close right now.

Bg7getclutch
12-21-2008, 11:57 AM
Every single day theres an article about lebron and free agency. Who cares? it's not 2010 yet.

BostonCelticsKG
12-21-2008, 12:13 PM
well lebron wouldnt wanna waste his talent for the rest of his career in new york gotta be kidding me knicks they really suck lebron would never wanna be a knick.

MiamiHeat
12-21-2008, 01:21 PM
I hope all the big FAs stay away from NY. I think that would be hilarious.

:nod:
it would :)

njnets
12-21-2008, 01:37 PM
am i the only one that somewhat wants to warp to the summer of 2010 to see what exciting things happen?

MiamiHeat
12-21-2008, 01:39 PM
am i the only one that somewhat wants to warp to the summer of 2010 to see what exciting things happen?

I would love to see what happens who goes where and stuff like that
but leave the 2010 talks until 2010, lets not talk about it in 2008

LeBrowns
12-21-2008, 02:38 PM

He is so rich that commuting from New York to Cleveland wouldn't be a big deal. Neither would be commuting his friends or his mom. I'm sure his mom would move with him wherever he goes. The fact remains that the Knicks (and Lakers--but they aren't relevant in 2010 capspace) are the most popular team in the world and Lebron would probably become the most popular athlete in the world if he goes to the Knicks. He isn't even close right now.

What do you mean "he isnt even close"? Are you serious? All I hear is BIAAASSS.

MoJay
12-21-2008, 04:33 PM
I could see him signing I am tired of all these Knick fans talking about wait until 2010 besides I think he would sign with the nets before the knicks and even cavs vbefore that home state

JayW_1023
12-21-2008, 04:37 PM
It will all depend which team has a more champion oriented supporting cast to work with. LeBron wants a ring fore most.

It would be great if he DID sign an extension this year...that's like a slap in the face to the New York media vultures. I'm all for it.

astrosmaniac
12-21-2008, 05:16 PM
whoever it was who said that about the espn announcers was sooooo right. did anyone else noticed that on the suns highlights last night, they said "steve nash, the future knick". its ridiculous how people think that just cause its new york theyll go their. its not baseball where new york can offer more than anyone else like the yankees do

ARMIN12NBA
12-21-2008, 05:27 PM
What do you mean "he isnt even close"? Are you serious? All I hear is BIAAASSS.

Have you been outside this country or, better yet, have family members that live outside this country? If so then you will understand why I say he isn't even close.

cmstophe
12-21-2008, 06:11 PM
He's not signing an extension. He is simply trying to get media attention. He even said a couple weeks ago that he wants to talk about 2010 and that July 1st, 2010 would be the biggest day of his life...How is it going to be a big or great day if he already signed an extension? He is contradicting himself right there. This is nothing more than media manipulation.

LMAO

he never said anything like that.

he said "july 1 will be a big day". never said it had anything to do with him or his life.

Have you been outside this country or, better yet, have family members that live outside this country? If so then you will understand why I say he isn't even close.

Yeah. I mean, China only has an entire museum for him, right?

ARMIN12NBA
12-21-2008, 06:23 PM
LMAO

he never said anything like that.

he said "july 1 will be a big day". never said it had anything to do with him or his life.

Yeah. I mean, China only has an entire museum for him, right?

This is the quote:

You have to stay open-minded if you're a Knicks fan. ... If you guys want to sleep right now and don't wake up until July 1, 2010, then go ahead. It's going to be a big day.

LOL. Stay open minded if you are a Knicks fan? The Knicks fans only care about Lebron yet you want me to believe your nonsense that him saying this had nothing to do with himself and this quote was only about the other FA's....Right. OK muh man.

cmstophe
12-21-2008, 07:07 PM
This is the quote:

LOL. Stay open minded if you are a Knicks fan? The Knicks fans only care about Lebron yet you want me to believe your nonsense that him saying this had nothing to do with himself and this quote was only about the other FA's....Right. OK muh man.

So you are trying to argue with me when I was right: he said nothing about it being a huge day for his life or anything?

Whatever. People like you are 100% sure he is gone to the Knicks and I think it's hilarious LeBron comes out and says he will consider an extension (and insider sources now say that he has been talking with the Cavs about it for the last MONTH, rofl) yet "Nope, this means nothing!"

it's funny people like you put more stock in what Jalen Rose and Stephen Smith say than what Lebron himself says.

Did you guys hear this on ESPN? No?

In the wake of setting the franchise steal record last week and already owning the scoring record, James was even joking this weekend with his teammates about his future. Especially Zydrunas Ilgauskas, who just took over the franchise rebounding mark.

But maybe not long-term, James hinted.

"By the time I get done," James said. "I'm going to hold all the records."

No. That doesn't get reported on because it hints at James staying with the Cavaliers. Keep the bias going, folks. Keep it going. All it does is make people look like idiots where you put more stock in what media pundits say than what the man himself says.

zambo4president
12-21-2008, 07:33 PM
Hahahahaahahha i would laugh at Knick fans soooo much :laugh:

king4day
12-21-2008, 07:52 PM

I agree here. While it'd be nice to just put this to rest, i don't believe him one bit. Saying this will hush the experts, media, and fans for a while. It'll pick up again if he does NOT sign one though.

Lakers4ItAll
12-21-2008, 10:03 PM
I hope signs a damn extension so we don't have to go thru another season hearing about where Lebron is gonna go

goku
12-21-2008, 10:29 PM
wade i think is more of a possibility to go to the knicks than lbj

njnets
12-21-2008, 10:38 PM
who cares, knick nets and other team fans cannot try to sign him until 2010. talks about this stuff right now area little fun to talk about but after a while it becomes a little annoying too.

Kiss Ma Grits
12-21-2008, 11:31 PM
New York Knick fans have very selective hearing and I have to admit many Cleveland fans do too but the Knick's fanbase are flirting with absolute heartbreak the kind of heartbreak that would hit Cleveland if Lebron did leave. Lebron has ALWAYS played with the minds of endorsers and media outlets. New Yorkers wouldn't know nothing about that because past Lebron's time in the NBA they haven't had the pleasure of knowing him BEFORE life in the nba because if you did you guys wouldn't take anything that comes out of Lebron's mouth serious. Lebron's a premadonna who loves attention and that's exactly what he's getting but at the end of the day he knows the reality of the nba. All that talk of what Brand and O'neal were going to do for the 76ers and Raptors and look........it's not even a story now. FA aquisitions are OVERRATED most of the time and often forgotten about once the season starts unless you're a team that gets two allstars ala Boston Celtics.

GunFactor187
12-21-2008, 11:53 PM
Make it happen 'Bron SIGN THAT EXT!!!!!!!

Rome
12-21-2008, 11:57 PM
Lebron isn't stupid. Sure he's thinking of all possibilities and what not.

tomno00
12-22-2008, 12:30 AM
people act like cleavland's supporting cast is so much better than the knicks or nets. sure its better, but most of that is due to lebron himself. if he wants to come to the best supporting cast, then he needs to come to da A

cmstophe
12-22-2008, 01:01 AM
people act like cleavland's supporting cast is so much better than the knicks or nets. sure its better, but most of that is due to lebron himself. if he wants to come to the best supporting cast, then he needs to come to da A

The Knicks with James would maybe be .500. With the Cavs, he's 23-4.

Randomsportsfan
12-22-2008, 01:30 AM
everyone needs to shut the ******* up about LeBron leaving because he was born and raised in ohio and all you knicks fans need to stop the ******* because you guys gave all your talent away ya you got harrington but he sucks so ya he wont go there. you guys have been in last place for who knows how long. he wants to win a championship and he aint getting it there. so you need to stop dreaming and all these posts are getting annoying and he gonna end up signing with the cavs and also bosh will be with him and we will kick bostons *** this year because the teams old and the cavs are sweet. so ya LeBron will be a cav all his life and he will retire a cav with numerous championship rings. he is going to start a dynasty in basketball starting this year and no one will be able to compete with us. so ya the cavs are gonna be the patriots of basketball. also i have inside connections because i know the contractor building his house and i have personally talked with him so i know whats going on with the whole thing.

Anthony Flores
12-22-2008, 01:58 AM
Ah Knick fans you better pray this does not happen.

Anthony Flores
12-22-2008, 01:59 AM
everyone needs to shut the ******* up about LeBron leaving because he was born and raised in ohio and all you knicks fans need to stop the ******* because you guys gave all your talent away ya you got harrington but he sucks so ya he wont go there. you guys have been in last place for who knows how long. he wants to win a championship and he aint getting it there. so you need to stop dreaming and all these posts are getting annoying and he gonna end up signing with the cavs and also bosh will be with him and we will kick bostons *** this year because the teams old and the cavs are sweet. so ya LeBron will be a cav all his life and he will retire a cav with numerous championship rings. he is going to start a dynasty in basketball starting this year and no one will be able to compete with us. so ya the cavs are gonna be the patriots of basketball. also i have inside connections because i know the contractor building his house and i have personally talked with him so i know whats going on with the whole thing.

ya, but it's not the Knick Fans fault they got the idea from every single major sports source. So ya.

skyhibballpj87
12-22-2008, 02:51 AM

ok the knicks really didnt give away any talent sry they were loosing as much with the guys they had as they are now so that doesnt matter. crawford or harringtion still the same inconsintency lol. iAnd harringtions average 20 and 6 and 23 and 6 since joining the knicks so hes flouishing in d antonis system as well, so he doesnt exactly suck lol. its not a dream really i mean it could happen I can see Lebron in a knicks uniform because that team might be going some where now that isiah is gone i mean look at how some of the players that have flourissed in dantonis system. robinson is a beast, wilson chandlers been playing well. david lee, chris duhons numbers have gone up alot. add lebron to equation i think lebron would be nasty in a dantoni sytem seriously and if they add another big name like bosh theres your ring team right there. because with duhon, robinson, chandler and harringtion causeim pretty sure harrington did drop 35 a couple of nights ago so he is capable of a big game. Do i think Lebron will go to the knicks not really i think it depends on what the cavs do this season. and i think it would be kinda funny since there has been so much lebron talk if he signs an extension. i think it would funny to see that happen. but it wouldnt surprise if lebron does go because the knicks are alot better then last season and they do upside but if they dont sign another big name i dont think lebron wants to go back wards in a rebuilding stage that the knicks are in

JayW_1023
12-22-2008, 04:58 AM
If LeBron does this he will have pulled a nice headfake on the NYC media and the Knicks. Serves them right.

Giantwarrior
12-22-2008, 06:56 AM
Actually having cap space is just as good as having talent. You have a chance to get any free agent you want, especially if you are NY. When the knicks have 40+ million to spend in 2010, they will find their talent. Sources say the knicks would love to get Nash, bosh and lebron. With 3 big superstars you don't need any more stars, just role players. Lebron is going to NY, they have been talking about it ever since he was drafted. His favorite baseball team are the Yankees. It's not just the max contract he'll get in ny, I'm sure he will get a ton of endorsements. He likes the money.

Afterall doesn't he have like 4 kids to support? How many baby mommas does he have?

Big Quett
12-22-2008, 11:16 AM

Exactly!!!:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

philab
12-22-2008, 06:15 PM

Not even close? Sorry, but I really just can't accept that.

Unless you have a very strict definition of close, that's just not right. Who's more popular? A handful of soccer players, Tiger, maybe Kobe, maybe Nadal and Federer, Phelps, . . . ? That's about all I can come up with. At worst, I'd say he's around 10th. That's pretty close to me.

He's nowhere near Jordan's popularity, but then again, neither is Kobe or any other NBA player. Hell, no one really has the popularity Jordan once had.

I have no stock in this either as a Cavaliers fan -- I just really don't understand your argument.

As for the comment about re-signing, it's garbage. It's LeBron a) saying the "right" things and b) trying to fuel the media frenzy even more.

TrueHoop (via ESPN) has an article about this up today. It's at least worth a read.

I can't say I agree with Henry Abbot (TrueHoop writer), though. Abbot claims that all the LeBron-to-NY hoopla is coming from "plugged-in" writers who prefer anonymity and can't reveal their sources. This is ********.

First, I doubt many of these writers are truly "plugged in" with LeBron himself. They may be plugged in to the Knicks, the Cavaliers, LeBron's agent, or any other number of people, but who cares? Only LeBron's opinion matters here, and it's very likely that even LeBron himself has no clue where he'll end up -- it's a year and half away! And even if he did, why the hell would he tell some two-bit journalist in the middle of a season? Wouldn't it be better for his team's sake and for hype's sake to keep everyone guessing?

Second, this is terrible journalism. If these writers prefer anonymity and want to conceal their sources, then sorry, but you've got no story. Anonymity and concealing sources comes with a price. This argument is just a lame excuse for why there isn't any real information out there concerning LeBron in 2010. There isn't any because none exists.

If anyone could show me ANYTHING that points one way or another concerning LeBron's 2010 destination, I'd be very interested. Nothing exists though. It's LeBron on one side saying either the right things or fueling the fire (and keeping the Cavaliers in the palm of his hand while he's at it) and the media on the other side making stories out of meaningless soundbytes and "insider" information.

My point is: no one knows anything except for LeBron and chances are even he doesn't know for sure where he'll end up.

cmstophe
12-22-2008, 08:16 PM

YES

So true.

ARMIN12NBA
12-22-2008, 08:42 PM
Not even close? Sorry, but I really just can't accept that.

Unless you have a very strict definition of close, that's just not right. Who's more popular? A handful of soccer players, Tiger, maybe Kobe, maybe Nadal and Federer, Phelps, . . . ? That's about all I can come up with. At worst, I'd say he's around 10th. That's pretty close to me.

He's nowhere near Jordan's popularity, but then again, neither is Kobe or any other NBA player. Hell, no one really has the popularity Jordan once had.

I have no stock in this either as a Cavaliers fan -- I just really don't understand your argument.

As for the comment about re-signing, it's garbage. It's LeBron a) saying the "right" things and b) trying to fuel the media frenzy even more.

TrueHoop (via ESPN) has an article about this up today. It's at least worth a read.

I can't say I agree with Henry Abbot (TrueHoop writer), though. Abbot claims that all the LeBron-to-NY hoopla is coming from "plugged-in" writers who prefer anonymity and can't reveal their sources. This is ********.

First, I doubt many of these writers are truly "plugged in" with LeBron himself. They may be plugged in to the Knicks, the Cavaliers, LeBron's agent, or any other number of people, but who cares? Only LeBron's opinion matters here, and it's very likely that even LeBron himself has no clue where he'll end up -- it's a year and half away! And even if he did, why the hell would he tell some two-bit journalist in the middle of a season? Wouldn't it be better for his team's sake and for hype's sake to keep everyone guessing?

Second, this is terrible journalism. If these writers prefer anonymity and want to conceal their sources, then sorry, but you've got no story. Anonymity and concealing sources comes with a price. This argument is just a lame excuse for why there isn't any real information out there concerning LeBron in 2010. There isn't any because none exists.

If anyone could show me ANYTHING that points one way or another concerning LeBron's 2010 destination, I'd be very interested. Nothing exists though. It's LeBron on one side saying either the right things or fueling the fire (and keeping the Cavaliers in the palm of his hand while he's at it) and the media on the other side making stories out of meaningless soundbytes and "insider" information.

My point is: no one knows anything except for LeBron and chances are even he doesn't know for sure where he'll end up.

I'd say 10th is about right. That is NOT close to being #1.

Who is the 10th best NBA player? Some would say Paul Pierce. Some would say Yao Ming. (I'm going off a couple lists I've seen). Would you say Yao or Pierce is close to Lebron/Wade/Kobe as the best in the NBA? No. They are far from it. Although the number 10 "seems" close to 1, in reality, it is not close to 1. If Lebron was playing for the Knicks or the Lakers then I have no doubt he would be a top 3 most popular active athlete today.

I agree with what you said about re-signing. Lebron is media savvy. He knows how to play the media and how to get his name in the papers even more. Those comments were nothing more than a calculated publicity stunt.

I also agree that we have no clue about where he will end up. But we can get a clue from varying information that we have though. Everybody has an opinion on where Lebron will end up even if Lebron does not know himself. I mean, who knows, Lebron may blow out his knee and his career may be over tomorrow.

philab
12-23-2008, 02:56 AM
I'd say 10th is about right. That is NOT close to being #1.

Who is the 10th best NBA player? Some would say Paul Pierce. Some would say Yao Ming. (I'm going off a couple lists I've seen). Would you say Yao or Pierce is close to Lebron/Wade/Kobe as the best in the NBA? No. They are far from it. Although the number 10 "seems" close to 1, in reality, it is not close to 1. If Lebron was playing for the Knicks or the Lakers then I have no doubt he would be a top 3 most popular active athlete today.

I agree with what you said about re-signing. Lebron is media savvy. He knows how to play the media and how to get his name in the papers even more. Those comments were nothing more than a calculated publicity stunt.

I also agree that we have no clue about where he will end up. But we can get a clue from varying information that we have though. Everybody has an opinion on where Lebron will end up even if Lebron does not know himself. I mean, who knows, Lebron may blow out his knee and his career may be over tomorrow.

Going to NY or LA would certainly move LeBron up the popularity scale -- not really because there's THAT many more fans in NY/LA, but because the media would turn things up three more notches.

LeBron's between 5 and 10 to me -- 10th at worst like I said. After Tiger, Phelps, Cristiano Ronaldo, and maybe another soccer player or two (don't quite know the pulse on Beckham these days), the differences aren't that great. That's why I refer to LeBron as "close." (In other words, Paul Pierce/Yao Ming are much further from Kobe, et al. than LeBron is from C. Ronaldo/Tiger -- going off the #10/#1 comparison). Also, at least in my opinion, a player can jump from tenth to first in global popularity a whole hell of a lot easier than in "best NBA player."

Anyway, I agree with everything but the bolded part. I just really don't think there's any information out there of any substance whatsoever. LeBron, right now, wants to a) win a championship and b) attract as much media attention as possible (the whole billionaire thing) -- in whatever order. So, what's the smartest thing for him to do? Exactly what he is doing -- say the "right" things, play hard, and give every rumor some wings. It keeps the Cavaliers looking for any avenues to a championship (through a trade or FA) and lets the media run wild with baseless rumors. Check and check.

Seriously, the most explicit/least cryptic Lebron has said was the "I love Cleveland; I ain't going nowhere" bit. And even that has absolutely no significance (said to thousands of fans at an Obama rally in Cleveland :rolleyes:). There's just nothing there.

ARMIN12NBA
12-23-2008, 03:12 AM
Going to NY or LA would certainly move LeBron up the popularity scale -- not really because there's THAT many more fans in NY/LA, but because the media would turn things up three more notches.

LeBron's between 5 and 10 to me -- 10th at worst like I said. After Tiger, Phelps, Cristiano Ronaldo, and maybe another soccer player or two (don't quite know the pulse on Beckham these days), the differences aren't that great. That's why I refer to LeBron as "close." (In other words, Paul Pierce/Yao Ming are much further from Kobe, et al. than LeBron is from C. Ronaldo/Tiger -- going off the #10/#1 comparison). Also, at least in my opinion, a player can jump from tenth to first in global popularity a whole hell of a lot easier than in "best NBA player."

Anyway, I agree with everything but the bolded part. I just really don't think there's any information out there of any substance whatsoever. LeBron, right now, wants to a) win a championship and b) attract as much media attention as possible (the whole billionaire thing) -- in whatever order. So, what's the smartest thing for him to do? Exactly what he is doing -- say the "right" things, play hard, and give every rumor some wings. It keeps the Cavaliers looking for any avenues to a championship (through a trade or FA) and lets the media run wild with baseless rumors. Check and check.

Seriously, the most explicit/least cryptic Lebron has said was the "I love Cleveland; I ain't going nowhere" bit. And even that has absolutely no significance (said to thousands of fans at an Obama rally in Cleveland :rolleyes:). There's just nothing there.

Not only that, but the New York Knicks and Los Angeles Lakers are the most popular teams in foreign countries. I can tell you this: my cousins from Germany and Iran know the Knicks and the Lakers. They know Kobe, Pau, etc. They do not know of the Cavaliers or of Lebron James. On an INTERNATIONAL scale, Lebron will be more popular.

Kobe Bryant, Ronaldhino, Federer, etc. are probably more popular than Lebron as well. Like I said, Kobe is automatically more popular because he is on a world famous team, the Lakers. Not to mention he has had success in the NBA winning championships (and has had his fair share of controversies). Ronaldhino is one of the best soccer players in the world. Federer is arguably the greatest tennis player to ever live.

Driven
12-23-2008, 03:45 AM
I love how the yahoo article states "LeBron may sign extension," when it clearly said "LeBron may consider signing an extension in the offseason."

I hate the media

Apophis
12-23-2008, 04:32 AM
I can speak for all the Knicks fans at my job.. as well as myself.. None of us think that Lebron will be a Knick come 2010... The person we actually feel will be a Knick come 2010 will be Chris Bosh...

BLOMETSFAN
12-23-2008, 07:55 AM
You gotta know that LeBron is a smart businessman and that he is going to say whatever is best for him. I dont see him signing an extension unless they win the championship this year...now that is not to say he wont still be a Cav in 2010, I just think he is going to look at all his options. Sure the money in the contract might be even, but imagine the endorsements that he will get playing in NYC..it is a known fact that large companies will pay more to a huge athelete playing in a huge market. So let the debate continue for another year or so now..

airjesus50
12-23-2008, 09:18 AM

Are you a Knicks Fan???

philab
12-23-2008, 11:50 AM
Not only that, but the New York Knicks and Los Angeles Lakers are the most popular teams in foreign countries. I can tell you this: my cousins from Germany and Iran know the Knicks and the Lakers. They know Kobe, Pau, etc. They do not know of the Cavaliers or of Lebron James. On an INTERNATIONAL scale, Lebron will be more popular.

Kobe Bryant, Ronaldhino, Federer, etc. are probably more popular than Lebron as well. Like I said, Kobe is automatically more popular because he is on a world famous team, the Lakers. Not to mention he has had success in the NBA winning championships (and has had his fair share of controversies). Ronaldhino is one of the best soccer players in the world. Federer is arguably the greatest tennis player to ever live.

Yeah, from my experiences overseas, foreigners know New York and Los Angeles. If you're from somewhere in between, just say how far you are from either city.

It's hard to really know the extent of some of these players' popularity without actually being in Europe, China, etc. It seemed like Ronaldinho's popularity had waned after he got fat or whatever. Federer is certainly popular in Europe, but who knows if the Chinese, etc. follow tennis. Usain Bolt should definitely be more popular than he is, too.

cmstophe
12-23-2008, 01:32 PM
I love how the yahoo article states "LeBron may sign extension," when it clearly said "LeBron may consider signing an extension in the offseason."

I hate the media

huh?

It says, exact quote, Lebron will "consider an extension".

Not "MAY consider"

Let's not mince words

ARMIN12NBA
12-23-2008, 04:09 PM
Are you a Knicks Fan???

:laugh: No. Not at all.

Yeah, from my experiences overseas, foreigners know New York and Los Angeles. If you're from somewhere in between, just say how far you are from either city.

It's hard to really know the extent of some of these players' popularity without actually being in Europe, China, etc. It seemed like Ronaldinho's popularity had waned after he got fat or whatever. Federer is certainly popular in Europe, but who knows if the Chinese, etc. follow tennis. Usain Bolt should definitely be more popular than he is, too.

Pretty fair assessment.

You are thinking of Ronaldo right there. He is the one who got fat and even hired a transvestite hooker. He has become less and less popular ever since. Ronaldinho just parties a lot, but he is still a great soccer player.

philab
12-23-2008, 04:38 PM
:laugh: No. Not at all.

Pretty fair assessment.

You are thinking of Ronaldo right there. He is the one who got fat and even hired a transvestite hooker. He has become less and less popular ever since. Ronaldinho just parties a lot, but he is still a great soccer player.

Ronaldo's been fat and hasn't been a global superstar in 8 or 10 years.

Ronaldinho got a bit chubby from what I remember and had a few problems with FC Barcelona. But yes, he's still a great player and still very popular -- just not sure he's the MOST popular soccer player these days . . . C. Ronaldo, Kaka, Beckham still?

Transvestite hookers have been the downfall of even the best of us.

heatfan123249
12-23-2008, 04:54 PM
well what is he going to say he is not considering to sign an extension?

$ NyC $
12-23-2008, 05:20 PM
I'm a Knicks fan and i def. got sick of all this talk, but i do agree that LeBron is just playing a game with every1.

cHi8DaL5LA420
12-23-2008, 05:41 PM
lebron is not going to resign with the cavs he is definitley on his way to the knicks along with bosh in 2010

damkrayzie
12-23-2008, 11:30 PM
When LeBron says something that sounds like he supports the Knicks its OMGZ LeBron to NY 2010! But when its vice versa no one takes it seriously.people need to stop worrying about LBJ leaving cleveland and start worrying about their superstars comeing to cleveland

what54!?
12-23-2008, 11:31 PM
people need to stop worrying about LBJ leaving cleveland and start worrying about their superstars comeing to clevelandare you kidding me?

Blazin_101
12-24-2008, 12:24 PM
I hope he stays with the cavs. Hopefully they can resign him and if not hopefully they have enough forsight and inteligence to trade him and at least get something in return.

LeBrowns
12-24-2008, 12:48 PM
are you kidding me?

uh, no. The Cavs owner Dan Gilbert already stated teams in 2010 better get ready for the Cavs to take a run at their players because of the cap space we have that year. So no, we aren't kidding.