PDA

View Full Version : One regret from last year's draft

elements1985
12-20-2008, 08:53 PM
I love the Mayo pick-up, as well as O'Connell in the third-round. But I regret the Patriots not drafting Charles Godfrey over Terrence Wheatley in the second-round. What do you guys think?

The Intimidator
12-21-2008, 12:55 AM
Not really. You have to factor in the fact that Wheatley got hurt earlier this season, while Godfrey has played in all 14 of the Panthers' games. You can't really judge these two guys on this one season. We'll have to wait and see...

redsox1520
12-21-2008, 06:19 PM
And the Pats could have taken S Chris Horton and LB Curtis Lofton this year, who we would need, but we didn't.
Also, anyone could have taken Brady, Barber, Westbrook, Romo, Gates, but they didn't. A lot of us Boston sports fans dwell in the past. We didn't, and there is no changing it.

elements1985
12-21-2008, 08:06 PM
And the Pats could have taken S Chris Horton and LB Curtis Lofton this year, who we would need, but we didn't.
Also, anyone could have taken Brady, Barber, Westbrook, Romo, Gates, but they didn't. A lot of us Boston sports fans dwell in the past. We didn't, and there is no changing it.

But this is not really that extreme of an argument. When the Patriots were on the board in the second round, at pick number 30, there were the following CB's available:

Terelle Thomas
Charles Godfrey
Reggie Smith
Tyvon Branch
Jack Williams
Dwight Lowrey
Reggie Corner

Out of all those available, Godfrey was the consensus best. In his first season, he's got more tackles than Asante Samuel put together in a season, except for 2; and he's probably going to add more tonight (but, of course, CB's with big tackle numbers is not really a positive statistic). At any rate, the guy has ability.

The Patriots had some idea, given the departure of Samuel, that whoever they drafted would've had to play this year -- and make plays. I honestly believe that if they had another legitimate corner, 1 maybe 2 of those losses might not have been there. Who knows? Pure speculation.

In short, I think they really missed out on Godfrey -- and these corners, despite injuries, were crap this year.