PDA

View Full Version : Do you think the economy is affecting the NBA?

unwantedplayer
12-18-2008, 09:05 PM
Do you think the economy is affecting the NBA?

I would say yes. Many teams can't buyout/waive/sign an FA's today because of money issues.

superkegger
12-18-2008, 09:23 PM
Not in the way you describe, but at the gates, fans aren't showing up, especially for teams that aren't winning. Ticket prices coupled with prices of everything else at the arena, like getting a beer/soda and a hot dog is gonna run you like 10 bucks, plus your ticket plus parking, you're spending near a minimum of 40-50 bucks. Want good seats, double it.

MGB
12-18-2008, 09:24 PM
^^ the billionaires and their groups of investors aren't all necessarily the ones hurting the most from this whole economic crisis. As keg party decribed, it's more the middle class.

superkegger
12-18-2008, 09:30 PM
^^ the billionaires and their groups of investors aren't all necessarily the ones hurting the most from this whole economic crisis. As keg party decribed, it's more the middle class.

Yeah, its not affecting owners and ****, they're still rich as ****. If they don't wise up, its going to hurt them, because who the **** wants to go watch a memphis-okc game in memphis, ****ing nobody thats who. It's a way ****ing better deal for me to sit in my living room, watch the game for free with a better view, 6 beers for the price of one, and not have to pay for parking, or drive all the way there.

For years ticket prices, vending prices, so on and so forth have risen, because we the consumer could afford it. Now, for once, we won't pay for it, because we can't afford it, maybe this will bring prices back to reasonable. Maybe.

IBleedPurple
12-18-2008, 09:55 PM
The economy affects the most important part of sports, the fans. And while things are tough, most would rather just complain about it instead of trying to make more money. But when people are struggling, buying tickets and merchandise is farther down the list of priorities.

MGB
12-18-2008, 09:58 PM
Yeah, its not affecting owners and ****, they're still rich as ****. If they don't wise up, its going to hurt them, because who the **** wants to go watch a memphis-okc game in memphis, ****ing nobody thats who. It's a way ****ing better deal for me to sit in my living room, watch the game for free with a better view, 6 beers for the price of one, and not have to pay for parking, or drive all the way there.

For years ticket prices, vending prices, so on and so forth have risen, because we the consumer could afford it. Now, for once, we won't pay for it, because we can't afford it, maybe this will bring prices back to reasonable. Maybe.

imagine going to a team's games where the owner also owns the vending companies (Bulls/Sox)

lakerboy
12-19-2008, 03:35 AM
Actually it does, but just not as much as let say the car companies.

If this global recession extends another year or so, expect major sponsors to start pulling out.

I'm not sure if I'm entirely correct about the dates.

The collective bargaining agreement I think expires in 2010.

Kobe's pretty lucky he'll get a 6 year extension next year, cause all the other FAs (I'm guessing LBJ, etc.) would sign contracts under the new CBA in 2010, which I'm guessing would entail a lot less money, if the recession persists.

GspLAL
12-19-2008, 05:09 AM

This is true but going to a game live is waaaaaaay more fun than watching it at home.

Hellcrooner
12-19-2008, 05:39 AM
Deppending on how hard does the Crisis strike in one or two years maybe some of the owners will step down.

JordansBulls
12-19-2008, 04:28 PM
SI.com (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/ian_thomsen/12/18/millsap.notes/index.html?eref=T1)

Impact of economic tailspin

The recession and financial crisis have already started to affect NBA teams, according to the senior executive of a franchise who has been briefed on the leaguewide consequences.

"There are a lot of sponsors who are behind on payments,'' the team official said. "What you're seeing is a lot of teams saying, 'We'll carry you, hoping that you get square with us.' Because there are no other sponsors in line to replace them.

"In places like New York, of course there is a waiting list for sponsors. But in a lot of these cities, the naming-rights people are worrying. What happens if an airline or another of these naming-rights companies isn't able to make payments?''

Teams are also earning less money from tickets.

"In most places attendance is off, but only by a little bit,'' the executive said. "Revenue is off a lot more because they're selling the seats for less. The revenue from the expensive courtside seats is holding up, and the business in the upper level [of arenas, where the cheaper tickets are sold] is the same or even better in some cases. But those seats in the middle, that's where the trouble is. Teams are having trouble selling those seats.''

Teams are having to discount those seats in order to fill the arena, according to the executive. That's why attendance appears to remain solid, while revenues are down.

Good that they sell the tickets for less.

NYMetros
12-19-2008, 04:34 PM
A little bit, not too much though.

Bg7getclutch
12-19-2008, 04:37 PM
Chicago is not affected by this because were a big market. New york and Los angeles are also not affected.

superkegger
12-19-2008, 04:54 PM
This is true but going to a game live is waaaaaaay more fun than watching it at home.

Oh I agree totally, but I just can't afford it now.