PDA

View Full Version : Should the Nba teams use farm teams in europe?

Hellcrooner
12-18-2008, 05:28 PM
ok, here is the deal , the nbdl sucks and vaguely helps players to develop , the comeptence level is much less than that in the top european leagues.

the budget of Nba teams is much greater than 80% of the league teams in spain, Italy, turkey , russia etc.

In soccer there are teams like ajax or Crystal palace that have farm teams in south africa or baltimor for example, they let them use the name and colours , invest money inthen and put young players in their hands to develop them.

would it be a good idea for nba teams to have farm teams in europe like the London Knicks or the Rome Bulls or the Barcelna Lakers to place them their second round picks and young players to develop and also to "taste" unrestricted Fa from europe with their schemes etc???

Hellcrooner
12-18-2008, 05:31 PM
it would also help them Dodge the only 500000 dollars for buyouts rule.

1st they buy the player for the euro team where there are no limitatins of money paid ofr buyots and then they get them to the mother team for free..

cambovenzi
12-18-2008, 05:33 PM
uprooting someone from a farm team in the US is one thing, but asking them to move back and forth from europe to the US is a little ridiculous and unhelpful.

developing in the US, with US coaches and rules help them get accustomed to the NBA style of play.

the sport isnt like baseball.
most of the good players are easily seen and drafted early. getting a spot on the team.
there also is very limited roster spots.
thats the reason why you dont see many players go from the new NBDL type leagues to the NBA and succeeding. basically almost anybody who projects better than a role player is in the NBA.

Hellcrooner
12-18-2008, 05:36 PM
^of course in those farms teams the staff would be american and paid by the nba team :)

cambovenzi
12-18-2008, 05:45 PM
^of course in those farms teams the staff would be american and paid by the nba team :)

well yeah.
but theyd be playing against european teams i assume.
and the gameplanning would have to be different.

not to mention having to travel across the ocean every time they want to bring someone up.

Cavs_Fan24
12-18-2008, 05:50 PM
Farm teams in Europe doesnt sound too bad.

Hellcrooner
12-18-2008, 06:05 PM
its not supposed to work as nbdl with call ups and such, s supposed to work with players staying one full year or more away developing their game and being able to try euro players with team system...

cambovenzi
12-18-2008, 06:10 PM
sounds more like an idea for an independent team.

{}
12-18-2008, 06:23 PM
would it be a good idea for nba teams to have farm teams in europe like the London Knicks or the Rome Bulls or the Barcelna Lakers to place them their second round picks and young players to develop and also to "taste" unrestricted Fa from europe with their schemes etc???

No. It wouldn't work. Give those aspiring NBA players the choice of playing in America or overseas and you'd be insulted as a foreigner. The typical thinking is that the euro's have their fruity water downed farm leagues already, and the USA has the elite leagues. Nobody is right mind is going to willingly choose to go from The Greener Pasture to play in a 3rd world farm league. Going overseas to play is usually a desperate last resort. American born players can barely stomach going to Toronto to play, and several have flat out refused to report and threatened retirement.

Breatnach
12-18-2008, 07:22 PM
What a shame!
I was _really_ looking forward to your bad players over here. I for one would _really_ enjoy cheering for players, who play here against their will and will leave once they are able to hit an open shot!

homestarunner93
12-18-2008, 08:21 PM
I don't see how the NBADL is bad, I think its helped develop some players already and its only been associated with the NBA for three years, I think. Give it more time, sending players to Europe sure isn't going to help them any more than keeping them here in the states.

superkegger
12-18-2008, 08:38 PM
3 things.

1. The NBDL does not suck, and has placed many players onto NBA teams. The reason players are in the NBDL is because generally they're simply not good enough for NBA teams.

2. An NBA farm system in Europe would work no differently than the NBDL, it would just be overseas. How that is beneficial at all to anyone I'm not sure.

3. The style is the main thing. We see it all too often that Euro players having a longer adjustment period to the NBA game and lifestyle. Moving the NBDL, which is in it's very early stages, and only 3 NBA teams have thus far bought their own team in, (which should tell you right off that NBA teams are quite disinterested in farm teams) to Europe would accomplish nothing.

DerekRE_3
12-18-2008, 10:32 PM
Europe is kind of an unofficial farm team of the NBA. I'll give you an example.

Bobby Brown went undrafted in the 2007 draft out of Cal State Fullerton. He spent a year overseas in Germany and developed his game and became more of a point guard.

Now he is with the Kings getting 7 ppg and 2.3 assists a game on 44% shooting in 16 mpg. Not bad for a rookie season.

Hellcrooner
12-19-2008, 05:13 AM
No. It wouldn't work. Give those aspiring NBA players the choice of playing in America or overseas and you'd be insulted as a foreigner. The typical thinking is that the euro's have their fruity water downed farm leagues already, and the USA has the elite leagues. Nobody is right mind is going to willingly choose to go from The Greener Pasture to play in a 3rd world farm league. Going overseas to play is usually a desperate last resort. American born players can barely stomach going to Toronto to play, and several have flat out refused to report and threatened retirement.

usa elite leagues? Nba is the elite league but Cba? nbdle? Abl? Whothe****caresBL? those are worst than many european SECOND Division leagues.

Euroleaquge is teh secodn best and thoughest league in teh world and then you have Spanish Greek and Italy that are only a bit less talented than Euroleague.

Any bottom team on one of those league would HARRASH ncaa champion.

Oh im SURE Jennings Pargo or Childress can stomach playing in europe for BIG BUCKS.

And no im not proposing to CREATE a FARM league in europe, that would be idiotic im proposing for teams to BUY european teams that compete in the national leagues and in euroleage and put funds on tehm to have great rosters and to develop the players whose rights they have and check how euros work in their system to get the next Unsigned euro Fa like Calderon or Garbajosa KNOWING how they work in their system ,and to be able to DRAFT palyers lnowing they work in tehir system.

Im not going to enter into the Europe= Third world thing because id probably end up making some fun about SHoes flying and Drunken cowboys, and that wuld not be fair for Texans that actually cans see further than their noses like Dreamshaker....

Hellcrooner
12-19-2008, 05:19 AM
oh and about "europe does not help develiop players for the nba game".... anybody care to check how good were Charlie bell or anthony parker before going to europe and after dveloping there? or Pk Brown? or John Starks? or Anthony mason=? i guarante that had those guys goen to Nbdl or Cba they would have NEVER gone back to the leauge, at least on prominent roles

DerekRE_3
12-19-2008, 05:22 AM
oh and about "europe does not help develiop players for the nba game".... anybody care to check how good were Charlie bell or anthony parker before going to europe and after dveloping there? or Pk Brown? or John Starks? or Anthony mason=? i guarante that had those guys goen to Nbdl or Cba they would have NEVER gone back to the leauge, at least on prominent roles

I think how well Brandon Jennings does will determine what people think about how the Euro Leagues develop young players games. He could be a trail blazers for high school players that think they are ready to go pro and want to skip college. Looks like Jennings is doing pretty well and getting some good coaching there.

Like I said before, playing overseas really helped Bobby Brown develop his game. And look at guys like Marc Gasol and Rudy Fernandez this year. I think the talent level, at least in the best Euro Leagues, is tougher than the NCAA.

Hellcrooner
12-19-2008, 05:36 AM
^Hopefully you get to see a lot of Ricky Rubio next year ;)

Wow Ricky and Martin outside and Hawes and Thompson inside .....sounds like having our good feud again in two three years??????

Hellcrooner
12-19-2008, 05:37 AM
Wow did i just write ..... RICKY/MARTIN????????? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAHA

That Beats even the Gay/Love pair of Daft day....

DerekRE_3
12-19-2008, 05:53 AM
^Hopefully you get to see a lot of Ricky Rubio next year ;)

Wow Ricky and Martin outside and Hawes and Thompson inside .....sounds like having our good feud again in two three years??????

Yeah that would be pretty sick. I really like Hawes and Thompson. Rubio would be a great addition if we can suck bad enough to get him.

Is he for sure coming out though? I've heard different things.

Hellcrooner
12-19-2008, 06:16 AM
if he gets a top 3 wich woudl ensure him enough money to pay his buyout himself if the team NEEDS a point guard and he willl be starting right away, he could declare for this year for sure.