PDA

View Full Version : What's With Our Schedule Every Year?

roju23
12-18-2008, 02:45 PM
Maybe it's just me, but I am sick and tired of looking at the NHL standings and trying to figure out the odds of Pittsburgh, NJ, and Philly catching the Rangers. The Rangers always seem to have 4-5 games in hand over everyone else in their division. (Same problem last year). I'm really not sure if there is some reason for this, but it has irked me for awhile. It's great seeing the 6 point division lead until you realize that Pittsburgh only has to go 3-2 to tie because we are 5 games ahead.

Had to vent, feel free to comment or better yet make me understand this madness.

rocowear21
12-18-2008, 02:51 PM
Fully agree it is annoying and we cant blame the trip overseas because pitts was there as well, we should even up this week with the trip out west and the days off in between

rocowear21
12-18-2008, 02:53 PM
Maybe some of it has to do with the circus that comes to msg as well i really dont know what to guess on this

messleetch94
12-19-2008, 10:05 AM
Not just the /circus, it's the Knicks, concerts, you name it and they have it at MSG. where in these smaller market arenas, all they have is hockey and maybe a basketball team. The things that has been a constant negative against the rangers every year, is that when they get stretches of 3 days off to even out the schedules, at times they are at their worst, and they wind up losing groound.

roju23
12-19-2008, 11:20 AM
Good points on the circus' (both Ringling Bros. and the Knicks. Check out the standings, we are in first place and have the second most losses in our division. Ridiculous.

messleetch94
12-19-2008, 05:27 PM
you have to realize that we have 46 points and almost every team has 4-5 games at hand against us. don't look at 11 wins as a bad thing. Look at it at we are 11 games above .500.

metalbest
12-20-2008, 09:51 AM
We are not actually second worst in losses because even though you get a point for an overtime loss its still a loss. So as of the morning of December 20th, the Rangers have 13 losses, while the Flyers have 14 (played 4 games less), the Devils have 12 (played 5 games less), and the Penguins have 14 (played 4 games less). The Flyers have to go no worse they 3-1-1 to overtake the Rangers at the 35 games played mark. The Devils have to go 4-2 to overtake us at the 35 games mark. I realize this is not unobtainable for any team. But as hockey fans we all know how easy it is for a team to go 9-1 for ten games and then go 4-6. The Rangers have already done this themselves. Right know we are sitting on top the division, and I feel pretty good bout that. Especially since I believe we will have the least amount of ups and downs this year compared to most teams in the NHL besides maybe 3 others... Boston, San Jose and Detriot. We are fully capable of beating all three of them in the playoffs as well so it should be fun to watch.

messleetch94
12-21-2008, 02:57 PM
Still in first place after playing like crap most of the time. Wait until, AND IT WILL HAPPEN, they start clicking on all cylinders.

roju23
12-23-2008, 02:34 PM
We are not actually second worst in losses because even though you get a point for an overtime loss its still a loss. So as of the morning of December 20th, the Rangers have 13 losses, while the Flyers have 14 (played 4 games less), the Devils have 12 (played 5 games less), and the Penguins have 14 (played 4 games less). The Flyers have to go no worse they 3-1-1 to overtake the Rangers at the 35 games played mark. The Devils have to go 4-2 to overtake us at the 35 games mark. I realize this is not unobtainable for any team. But as hockey fans we all know how easy it is for a team to go 9-1 for ten games and then go 4-6. The Rangers have already done this themselves. Right know we are sitting on top the division, and I feel pretty good bout that. Especially since I believe we will have the least amount of ups and downs this year compared to most teams in the NHL besides maybe 3 others... Boston, San Jose and Detriot. We are fully capable of beating all three of them in the playoffs as well so it should be fun to watch.

I agree but here is the problem with that:

84 game season (Hypothetical standings)

Rangers 45-33-6 (96 points)
Flyers 42-29-13 (97 points)

Theoretically we can lose the division because of overtime losses getting a point. (which btw is the dumbest thing to happen to the NHL). Each game should be worth 2 points or make a win 3 points because this is not weighted correctly. So an overtime loss is not still a loss if you are being rewarded with points.

NYR Fan
12-23-2008, 04:36 PM
I agree our schedule stinks every year but we can't be looking over our shoulders. So loong as we keep winning, the other teams have to do the same. Pressure is on them to win. We can't lose points when we're not playing.

metalbest
12-26-2008, 06:39 PM
You are completely correct with the overtime losses coming into play and a team with less wins actually winning the division. I agree a 3 point system for a win and then only 1 point for an overtime loss would make it even more meaningful to actually win the game. As it is now 2 overtime losses equals 1 win. That is pretty bad, but nothing is perfect. We have to live with it, lets just hope we end up on top either way.