PDA

View Full Version : Clippers’ Gordon: Drugs wrecked Indiana hoops

Sox Appeal
12-18-2008, 03:48 AM
Source: http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=txindianagordondrugs&prov=st&type=lgns

INDIANAPOLIS (TICKER) —Los Angeles Clippers rookie guard and former Indiana basketball player Eric Gordon said that the Hoosiers’ basketball program was brought down last season by drug problems, the Indianapolis Star reported Wednesday.

“It was the guys that were doing drugs that were separate,” Gordon told The Star in an exclusive telephone interview earlier this week.

Gordon didn’t name the players that used drugs but said D.J. White and two others still on the team were among those who did not.

The paper was unsuccessful in attempts to reach White and several other former players.

Gordon said then-Indiana coach Kelvin Sampson, “tried to stop it,” but the coach “was just so focused on basketball and winning and everything.”

Gordon told the Star he spent considerable time with a family friend in Bloomington because the atmosphere around some players was so bad he didn’t feel comfortable on campus.

“Sometimes, it felt like it wasn’t even a real basketball team because of all the turmoil that went on,” said Gordon, who will come into Indianapolis on Friday when his Clippers face the Indiana Pacers.

“I was just thinking about that the other day. It was so crazy that all that stuff threw off a good season and made it a waste, basically. It was really tough for us to be around each other all the time off the court because we were so separate.”

Former IU guard Adam Ahlfeld told the paper players were aware some teammates had issues with drugs.

“I wasn’t really with those abusing drugs, so I can’t say what was really going on,” Ahlfeld said. “I wasn’t involved in any of those things.”

Current Hoosiers coach Tom Crean declined comment, citing privacy laws.

“We’re doing our best to move ahead from a very difficult time for Indiana basketball and focus on doing that in the best light we can,” Crean said Wednesday.

LivingThroughMe
12-18-2008, 03:58 AM
LOL @ IU

Is it bad that I find so much happiness out of what a failure this program has become? Unfortunately, I know it will not last.

Between Kelvin Sampson and Bob Knight I have very little respect for their program, since they like hiring a bunch of douchebag coaches.

JHG722
12-18-2008, 12:18 PM
LOL @ IU

Is it bad that I find so much happiness out of what a failure this program has become? Unfortunately, I know it will not last.

No it won't last, because IU is one of the best programs historically in college basketball, and most people would go there any day over Western LOLfayette. Not to mention the girls at IU are bangin'. Can't say much for sausage-fest Purdue Chicken U.

Wake's Fastball
12-18-2008, 12:44 PM
I'd say it was just as much Kelvin Sampson's screwups last year that have wrecked Indy's program. Either way, Crean is a stellar coach, and I'd expect he's going to be able to turn the program around.