PDA

View Full Version : Tigers sign catcher Matt Treanor

iam brett favre
12-18-2008, 12:00 AM
WEDNESDAY, 2:13pm: Dan Connolly learned that Orioles president Andy MacPhail has been informed that Treanor agreed to a contract with the Tigers.

TUESDAY, 11:38pm: Morosi says the Tigers are close to signing Treanor to a one-year deal.

4:40pm: According to Jon Paul Morosi of the Detroit Free Press, the Tigers have had recent talks for free agent catcher Matt Treanor. They'd discussed a trade with the Marlins for him prior to his release. The Orioles are also known to be in discussions with Treanor.

Treanor, 33 in March, hit .238/.306/.301 in 234 plate appearances (the highest total of his career). He threw out 25.4% of attempted basestealers in '08, 14.3% in '07.

-MLBTR.com

Moneytime27
12-18-2008, 12:35 AM
Glad to see the Tigers filling positions of need..... well except for that bullpen but Fernando Rodney just might make a hell of a closer perhaps they can bring back Jason Grilli too

hoog
12-18-2008, 08:54 AM
I think Dave is suffering a bit from tunnel vision. He's concentrated so much on the defense he's forgotten about the BIGGEST need last year and this year in the bullpen. I hope he's aware that the fans can not be fooled again this year by the likes of Rodney and re-treads Turnbow. If he wants to keep that stadium filled he better get his butt out there and get himself a closer. I like Dave but come on, two years in a row you ignore the OBVIOUS?

Lionsforlife
12-18-2008, 11:39 AM
I definitely don't understand why we needed Treanor when I thought Ryan was good enough to backup. But I guess this gives Laird the opportunity to win the job for at least two seasons or more. It also gives Ryan time to develop in the minors.

And I don't understand why everyone is so mad that we haven't signed a closer. The only guy that we have missed out on is Putz and that was via a trade. Everyone else who we would be after (Beimel, Cruz, Lyon, Smoltz) are still available. It's not like negotiations are always quick and simple. Have patience. They will address the bullpen.

drewstantontime
12-18-2008, 12:26 PM
its an alright signing, They probably never really paid much attention to Ryan when he was in the minors and this will give them a full season to watch him play on a regular basis and have him as our backup nexty year then start in 2 years. Its an alright signing, makes sense, but now fix our god damn bullpen dave

Bondomania
12-18-2008, 12:52 PM
we missed out of Kerry Wood too.. so therefore we missed out on two good closers..

mark1125
12-18-2008, 02:54 PM
It's not that they haven't signed bullpen help, it's the lack of info regarding even being interested. I hear the name Turnbow and a little about Biemel. that's it.

drewstantontime
12-18-2008, 03:36 PM
I actually read somewhere yesterday about them contacting Corderos agent and I know alot of people dont like him, but I watched him play alot and hes got good stuff, I just dont think he was on a team good enough to allow him to win. Hes had injuries and whatever but so has Kerry Wood and we all wanted him too. I would be all about Cordero, even if its just setup. He does have real good stuff

Moneytime27
12-18-2008, 08:27 PM
I would be happy bringing back Mike Henneman if it helped, sign anybody just address this bullpen

Sport
12-19-2008, 03:27 AM
Brandon Lyon?

Bondomania
12-19-2008, 12:09 PM
i would rather have Juan Cruz over Brandon Lyon

mark1125
12-19-2008, 02:54 PM
i would rather have Juan Cruz over Brandon Lyon

I second that. I would love to see Cruz get a shot at closing. Lyon would be OK, but I think Cruz would do well and may be cheaper than Lyon.

Epic89
12-20-2008, 09:28 PM
I think Dave is suffering a bit from tunnel vision. He's concentrated so much on the defense he's forgotten about the BIGGEST need last year and this year in the bullpen. I hope he's aware that the fans can not be fooled again this year by the likes of Rodney and re-treads Turnbow. If he wants to keep that stadium filled he better get his butt out there and get himself a closer. I like Dave but come on, two years in a row you ignore the OBVIOUS?

DD doesn't ignore ****; he simply does not value the bullpen. Never has, and seeings how last year didn't convince him, nothing might ever.

Turnbow? Give me a break. Tigers need to sign both Beimel AND Cruz and that's only a slight improvement to the pen. What if Casey Fien gets shelled? What if Ryan Perry gets rushed up and screwed with like everyone else? No reason to get attached to the farm DD; you already sent away the very best prospects.

dddtfan
12-23-2008, 11:24 AM
Beimel would be a waste of money. He has never been more than a one or 2 batter situational lefty and the 3 million in salary he would command should be spent a better way.