PDA

View Full Version : Dirk is still going strong

JayW_1023
12-17-2008, 04:14 PM
I think Dirk is having a pretty impressive season...he carried the Mavs back to respectability despite injury to Josh Howard. He is still among the top scorers and rebounders.

People like to put down Dirk for his recent playoff failures, but on the flipside, not many star players have taken their teams deep into the postseason as consistently either the past decade.

Dirk is still one of the best and most consistent big men in the game. I don't think Dallas will be that relevant simply because there are more good teams now, but that is no knock on Dirk.

The guy deserves to be in the Hall of Fame.

BlondeBomber41
12-17-2008, 06:04 PM
Im hoping a couple moves will be made and the team can get back to the level of a true championship contender.

Maybe Marbury gets bought out and comes here and plays great off the bench, then we trade Stack and his expiring for something nice, and then with Josh Howard returning and the emergence of guys like JJ Barea... maybe the team can be elite again. At least I hope.

Chronz
12-17-2008, 06:27 PM
I remember when there was talk (Ko8e.com) that Josh Howard was the Mavs true franchise player.

But now would be a good time to review that Bosh vs Dirk debate that was going on during the preseason, Ill admit its alot closer than I thought it would be. But yea Dirk has been solid, definitely an All-Time great. He needs Howard to return though, he hasnt carried an offense the way he has right now since his 06 campaign but that was in his prime. The extra burden is taking a toll on him, hes still awesome but he will be so much better once he gets his number 2 back.

Lakersho
12-17-2008, 06:43 PM
listen,dirk needs a kobe,a d wade,josh isnt enough,dallas is burning dirk down!! as barkley said only so my jumps are in your knees use them wisely !!!

JordansBulls
12-17-2008, 07:00 PM
I think Dirk is having a pretty impressive season...he carried the Mavs back to respectability despite injury to Josh Howard. He is still among the top scorers and rebounders.

People like to put down Dirk for his recent playoff failures, but on the flipside, not many star players have taken their teams deep into the postseason as consistently either the past decade.

Dirk is still one of the best and most consistent big men in the game. I don't think Dallas will be that relevant simply because there are more good teams now, but that is no knock on Dirk.

I'd take Dirk on my team anyday.

Mythman13
12-17-2008, 07:15 PM
Dirk is absolutely an alltime great and will make the Hall of Fame easily
Wouldnt hurt for Howard to come back so they can hold their own in the west

unwantedplayer
12-17-2008, 07:17 PM
i'd take dirk on my team anyday.

+1. He is one better forwards/centers of the game. He does everything right, he hustles, he plays D, and he can also shoot the 3 very well.

dudeonthemoon
12-17-2008, 07:18 PM
This guy deserves a ring(My Miami Heat took it from him), hope he gets one.

Joshtd1
12-17-2008, 07:31 PM
Dirk is a stud. He is one of the only guys on the Mavs I like(along with Kidd). I think he gets bashed way too much.

lakers4sho
12-17-2008, 07:40 PM
Dirk is good, no doubt. But the team lacks the right complementary players to contend.

JayW_1023
12-17-2008, 09:35 PM
He definately deserves the nod over Amare at the ASG.

lakers4sho
12-17-2008, 09:41 PM
He definately deserves the nod over Amare at the ASG.

Don't count out Pau though. He's been beastly this season, he's deff the MVP of the Lakers at this point.

Spurred1
12-17-2008, 09:58 PM
Don't count out Pau though. He's been beastly this season, he's deff the MVP of the Lakers at this point.
You have a good point. Problem is, there are a lot of very good/great players on the Lakers. Pau may simply get overlooked because of that. He certainly carried them in the Phoenix/LA game a few nights ago, though.

JayW_1023
12-17-2008, 10:05 PM

Pau has been terrific too. The triangle fits his game so well. He is definately more impressive than Amare this season and deserves to be an all-star as well. I just think Duncan and Dirk get the slight nod because they carry a heavier load. That doesn't diminish what Pau has done though. Anyway I digress.

I've always marveled at how slow Dirks shot release is...yet still pretty hard to block. I think being back to pick and popping (with Kidd instead of Nash) will make him productive for much longer than if he stayed in his old Mr. everything role.

Now Dirk doesn't have to create so much and focus more on picking his spots. I think the Mavericks had alot of trouble in the postseason by the simple fact that Dirk had to do too much. I think it took it's toll against the Heat and Warriors. At this point of his career it might have really worn him down even more.

Last season they had to fire Avery and work in Kidd...and they ran into a very well meshed Hornets team. I think this squad will pick it up once they are familiar with Carlisles coaching. I think the Mavs are in better shape than the Suns at least.

Ryan328
12-17-2008, 10:12 PM
27 and 10 tonight

Lakersfan2483
12-17-2008, 10:15 PM

Dirk is definitely one of the top players in the NBA. My only criticism of Dirk is that he doesn't play in the post enough. I like for seven footers to operate in the post. All of that said, he definitely is keeping the Mavs in the hunt.

JayW_1023
12-17-2008, 10:26 PM
I think if you are seven foot and and have a money jumpshot like Dirk I think it really signifies that the big man of today can dominate on the perimeter too. He is a face up big who outquicks slower C's and shoots over shorter powerforwards. The whole mismatch element in his game allows him to dominate in an almost revolutionary way.

No wonder teams started looking for the next Dirk when he broke out. Tchikishvilli, Bargnani, Darko, Radmanovic, Gallinari and the like. Heck even American players now adapt to the more finesse face up big man game that relies on quickness and shooting...look at Bosh, Aldrigde and Amare.

I like how this type of big man is a contrast to the more traditional back to the basket game of the likes of Duncan, West, Jefferson, Howard and Yao. It brings more interesting matchups than in the past.