PDA

View Full Version : Wisconsin

Fool
12-17-2008, 11:44 AM
lets talk about Wisconsin... :) Being from Wisconsin I'm a big Badgers fan, but I'm not sure if there is anyone else here that is.

11/16 LBSU W 68-61
11/18 SIUE W 88-58
11/21 vs. IONA W 60-58 OT
11/23 vs. USD W 64-49
11/24 vs. CONN L 76-57
11/29 UWM W 67-46
12/01 @ VT W 74-72
12/06 @ MARQ L 61-58
12/09 ISU W 60-58
12/13 UWGB W 77-57
12/20 COPP W 57-46
12/23 TEX 69-74 L
12/31 @ MICH 2:00 PM
1/03 PSU 2:00 PM
1/07 NU 8:30 PM
1/11 @ PU TBA
1/15 MINN 9:00 PM
1/21 @ IOWA 8:35 PM
1/24 @ ILL 4:00 PM
1/27 PU 9:00 PM
1/31 @ NU 8:00 PM
2/05 ILL 9:00 PM
2/08 @ PSU 3:00 PM
2/11 IOWA 8:30 PM
2/14 OHST 9:00 PM
2/19 @ IU 9:00 PM
2/22 @ MSU TBA
3/01 MICH TBA
3/03 @ MINN TBA
3/09 IU TBA
Record: 9-3 (0-0)

They've got a big game at Texas coming up, which they'll loose, but I don't think it'll be a huge blowout.

Also, this is a side note, but I saw a kid play our high school basketball team last night (he dunked on us :( )who has had offers from Wisconsin-Green Bay, and apparently sits with the Badgers on weekends. But I can't find him on Rivals or anything, so I'm not sure how true it is. His name is Steve Tecker.

Sox_13
12-17-2008, 12:45 PM
Wisconsin's always a team with a decent amount of talent, but it seems like every year they hover around the bottom of the top 25. They have a pretty good team this year, but they certainly aren't contenders for the National Championship.

I know Steve Tecker has been recruited by Wisconsin, but he has yet to receive an offer. With that said, he's only a Junior so there is still time. He's good, but I'm not sure if he is good enough to play in the Big Ten. I guess he still has time to improve his game.

WI Sports Fan
12-17-2008, 08:45 PM
Wisconsin's always a team with a decent amount of talent, but it seems like every year they hover around the bottom of the top 25. They have a pretty good team this year, but they certainly aren't contenders for the National Championship.

By bottom do you mean top 10?

Fool
12-17-2008, 09:53 PM

I know Steve Tecker has been recruited by Wisconsin, but he has yet to receive an offer. With that said, he's only a Junior so there is still time. He's good, but I'm not sure if he is good enough to play in the Big Ten. I guess he still has time to improve his game.

For sure to both. It almost seems frustrating. Hovering is a very good description. Also by no means do I have title hopes :p I do think that they'll make it back into the Top 25 this year. Also, I'd just be excited for Tecker to be on a D1 team somewhere near here, it would be so cool to see someone from home make it to that level.

Sox_13
12-17-2008, 11:01 PM
By bottom do you mean top 10?
No. I know in the past they have been ranked in the top 10, but come tournament time they tend to do nothing. Don't get me wrong, they always field a very good team, but every year I never get the impression they are going to make a lot of noise come tournament time. There's obviously a couple teams that were an exception to that.

WI Sports Fan
12-17-2008, 11:43 PM
No. I know in the past they have been ranked in the top 10, but come tournament time they tend to do nothing. Don't get me wrong, they always field a very good team, but every year I never get the impression they are going to make a lot of noise come tournament time. There's obviously a couple teams that were an exception to that.

What does the tournament have to do with rankings?

You said that they usually float around the bottom of the top 25, but the past 2 years they've spent most of the time in the top 10 or just outside of it. That's why I asked if bottom meant top 10, because they certainly haven't been hovering around #25.

LivingThroughMe
12-18-2008, 01:44 AM
Badgers suck! :p

Unfortunately they almost certainly will not make a repeat of the Big 10 championship this year. They have a solid team, still, and will compete with anyone in the Big 10.

Sox_13
12-18-2008, 02:01 AM
What does the tournament have to do with rankings?

You said that they usually float around the bottom of the top 25, but the past 2 years they've spent most of the time in the top 10 or just outside of it. That's why I asked if bottom meant top 10, because they certainly haven't been hovering around #25.
Because they are always overrated. I could careless that they are a top 10 team at times. They never do anything when it matters. Of course that seems to be the common theme among Big Ten teams. Again, last year they lost in the sweet 16 against Davidson. The year before that they lost to UNLV in the second round, and the year before that they lost in the first round to Arizona. They always have a very good regular season record, but that's mostly due to beating up on horrible non conference opponents, and the horrible Big Ten teams. Year in and year out, I never see them as a team that's going to contend for a National Championship regardless of their ranking.

LivingThroughMe
12-18-2008, 03:53 AM
Because they are always overrated. I could careless that they are a top 10 team at times. They never do anything when it matters. Of course that seems to be the common theme among Big Ten teams. Again, last year they lost in the sweet 16 against Davidson. The year before that they lost to UNLV in the second round, and the year before that they lost in the first round to Arizona. They always have a very good regular season record, but that's mostly due to beating up on horrible non conference opponents, and the horrible Big Ten teams. Year in and year out, I never see them as a team that's going to contend for a National Championship regardless of their ranking.

Final Four in 2000

Elite Eight in 2000, 2005

Sweet Sixteen in 2000, 2003, 2005, 2008

So, four sweet sixteen appearances in the last 9 years is overrated? Wisconsin has been a very good basketball program the past decade.

WI Sports Fan
12-18-2008, 04:17 PM

It's funny to see you continue to avoid what I'm challenging you on. But we all understand why. You made an ignorant comment trying to sound smart and got called out on it, so you began to backtrack. Understandable, I guess.

3 years ago they were a 9-seed and an underdog to Arizona. Yes, that loss to UNLV 2 years ago was very disappointing. I don't see what was wrong with last year's defeat. You do realize that Davidson team beat Georgetown the round before us, right? You do remember that Davidson was a last second shot away from beating the National Champions, right?

As for horrible non-conference opponents, their track record proves otherwise. Last year they beat #7 Texas on the road. The year before they beat #20 ranked Marquette on the road and destroyed #2 Pitt at home, amongst numerous other power conference wins. The B10 is one of the best conferences in basketball year in and year out. You act as if Wisconsin is Memphis or something. If you really think that OSU team from 2 years back is weak, then you're nothing more than another blind Big 10 hater.

You can hate on Wisconsin all you want, but the fact remains that the team matches or exceeds expectations basically every year. The only exception is 2 years ago. Even last year, despite their seed, the majority of people had them losing in the 2nd round to K-State/USC.

Only 5 teams have a longer current streak of NCAA tournament appearances than Wisconsin. Those schools? Arizona, Kansas, Kentucky, Duke and Michigan St. This program has been one of the best in the nation over the past 10 years. Start respecting it.

Fool
12-23-2008, 02:48 PM
MADISON, Wis. -- Jon Leuer had another big game off the bench, scoring 16 points as Wisconsin ground out a 57-46 win over Coppin State on Saturday night.

It was a solid but somewhat underwhelming tune-up game for the Badgers (9-2), who now must prepare for Tuesday night's home game against No. 5 Texas. The Longhorns fared much worse Saturday, losing to Michigan State.

Tywain McKee scored 16 to lead Coppin State.

It was the seventh straight loss for the road-weary Eagles (1-7), who won't play their first home game until Jan. 10 and experienced lopsided losses at Purdue and Kansas last month.

Tuesday vs Texas won't help their Top 25 cause.

superkegger
12-23-2008, 06:11 PM
Final Four in 2000

Elite Eight in 2000, 2005

Sweet Sixteen in 2000, 2003, 2005, 2008

So, four sweet sixteen appearances in the last 9 years is overrated? Wisconsin has been a very good basketball program the past decade.

:clap:

Love Badger basketball. Bo Ryan is one of the best coaches in the country IMO. He gets so much out of the "least talent." He gets some coveted recruits, but a lot of his guys are guys that just fit his system and his style. His style also embodies what I think of when I think of Wisconsin sports. Hard work, hustle and defense. I hope Bo Sticks around for many years to come.

LivingThroughMe
12-23-2008, 08:22 PM
:clap:

Love Badger basketball. Bo Ryan is one of the best coaches in the country IMO. He gets so much out of the "least talent." He gets some coveted recruits, but a lot of his guys are guys that just fit his system and his style. His style also embodies what I think of when I think of Wisconsin sports. Hard work, hustle and defense. I hope Bo Sticks around for many years to come.

He is a really good coach. But yeah, he does get some pretty good recruits too (for a Big 10 team, at least). I like Wisconsin as much as I can like a rival team. (2-0 against you guys last year :cool:)

Fool
12-24-2008, 12:37 AM
Well, we gave Texas a run for their money. I was surprised it was even that close. I have to angry that we didn't finish the game though. Bad shots, critical missed freethrows.

WI Sports Fan
12-26-2008, 02:56 PM
Hughes played a great game leading up to that final possession, but what the hell was he thinking on that last shot? Only getting a 2 with about 8 seconds left and down by 3 is fine, but taking it into Damion James who is arguably one of the most physically gifted players in college basketbal is suicide. Trevon has to have the discipline to pull it out and at least get a desperation 3 attempt, at worst. Free throw shooting really cost us in that one, which is very disappointing.

Redsoxin09
01-16-2009, 05:01 AM
Overrated (clap clap clap clap clap).

Joking, Wisconsin has a very good basketball team, last nights game was one of the best game I've seen in a while. I think this win will put U of M basketball finally back on the map after the clem Haskins scandal of the 90's. That crowd in the Kohl Center was VERY loud though, boy oh boy!

Ollie Tabooger
01-21-2009, 08:00 PM
marquette is better. being from wisconsin, theyre so boring to watch. go marquette