PDA

View Full Version : How to contain: Chris Paul

JayW_1023
12-17-2008, 11:41 AM
If you were a coach, what would you do to stop CP3? This guy can dissect defenses like frogs in biology class.

Here is my take:

I think the first thing what's most important is to keep him out of the middle. If he drives to the middle is just a pick your poison situation. He'll either finish in traffic or find the open man even hounded by a forest of limbs.

Like many playmakers it's prolly best to force him baseline. The problem here is that if the defense collapses too much on him, they're liable to players going through back door cuts.

Them he sets up pick and rolls are an animal as well. Always have your second big ready under the rim if he sets a high screen and decides to drive the ball. Chandler isn't a danger from 14 feet and beyond anyway. And it's important to deny entry passes to the high post where David West is dangerous as heck.

Of course if the guard who defends him must keep his feet set and force him left or right. CP3 is just so mobile he can easily fumble you with a crossover dribble and still finish with ease.

So in a nutshell, my strategy would be:

- Force him out of the middle
- Have precise rotations from your bigs (prolly the most important thing out there seeing how many playmakers create off dribble penetration)
- Go under the high screen to set your feet early, hopefully force him shoot it from the wings. Of course you have to have a second line of D down low for this to work.
- Box out as he penetrates to make it difficult for him to find cutters and shooters

Of course for this all to work you have to stop him from pushing the ball...which is already tough considering how quick and creative he is off the dribble.

Frrrrank!!!
12-17-2008, 11:46 AM
Easier said than done. I think all you can really do is pray he has an off night.

29$JerZ
12-17-2008, 11:49 AM
Front him and don't let him get pass you, rather have him shoot then drive and kill the defense. Easier said then done but that's what you tell your players.

bartlett2266
12-17-2008, 12:05 PM
pray

AIMelo=KillaDUO
12-17-2008, 12:08 PM
Put DWill on him...

IRUAM #21
12-17-2008, 12:27 PM
Nothing there is nothing u can do

IndyRealist
12-17-2008, 12:49 PM
The only thing I'd add to your post is, make him work. Make him work on offense, make him work on defense. If Posey and Peja aren't shooting well, then you play a box and one zone, put a man on Paul and everyone else clog the middle. If they are shooting well, play a 2-3 zone with Chandler protecting the paint. I guess the key is to play zone, if you don't keep him out of the paint you might as well call it a day. Put a long, lean defender on him (McGrady, Prince, etc) and make him drive into the defense. On offense, run him all over the court. Run him through three screens. Post him up. Beat him up. Make him work so hard on defense so he has no energy left by the 4th quarter.

ramz.n
12-17-2008, 01:12 PM
im a chris paul fan, the only way i can see a team stopping him is by letting him score, thats right let him drive to the basket and play one on one if he scores that fine, what you really need to do is to stick close to his perimeter teammates such as Peja, Butler, Posey and Mo Pete, that way he wont have an option of hitting them for an open 3 and just padding the assist column. the next thing is to keep West from penetrating inside the paint because there will eventually a kickout to paul who will swing it to the open man for the 3, chris paul isn't known to be a great 3 point shooter and its very hard for a 6' guy to shoot over a taller defender.

superkegger
12-17-2008, 01:14 PM
give him two triple whoppers with cheese before the game. That should slow him down.

JAZZNC
12-17-2008, 01:20 PM
It's great in theory, but you don't contain great players like that. That is what makes them great, the ability to do what they're trying to do no matter what you throw at them. He's too skilled, too athletic, and simply too good to "contain". Unless you're Deron Williams.

It also doesn't help he has pretty dang good players around him either.

pete_one
12-17-2008, 01:31 PM
to contain cp3, is like containing chuck norris, which isnt possible, at least, i dont think its possible..

GSRaider
12-17-2008, 01:40 PM
no way to stop chris paul... he's going to get others involved no matter what... i think the best way to slow him down is by getting him fatigued on the defensive side of the ball... having him play a lot of hard defense against a scoring pg is a decent way to slow down cp3.... d. williams, baron davis, monta ellis, tony parker etc. give paul a little trouble...

sportsnutzz
12-17-2008, 01:41 PM
It's great in theory, but you don't contain great players like that. That is what makes them great, the ability to do what they're trying to do no matter what you throw at them. He's too skilled, too athletic, and simply too good to "contain". Unless you're Deron Williams.

It also doesn't help he has pretty dang good players around him either.

:laugh: beat me to it

sportsnutzz
12-17-2008, 01:43 PM
Put DWill on him...

WOW did you just admit......no! :cheers:

jimbobjarree
12-17-2008, 02:21 PM
yeah he's D Will's *****

Flash812
12-17-2008, 02:34 PM
im a chris paul fan, the only way i can see a team stopping him is by letting him score, thats right let him drive to the basket and play one on one if he scores that fine, what you really need to do is to stick close to his perimeter teammates such as Peja, Butler, Posey and Mo Pete, that way he wont have an option of hitting them for an open 3 and just padding the assist column. the next thing is to keep West from penetrating inside the paint because there will eventually a kickout to paul who will swing it to the open man for the 3, chris paul isn't known to be a great 3 point shooter and its very hard for a 6' guy to shoot over a taller defender.

I agree with you. Paul can score at will if he wants but that is not how the hornets do things. The Hornets beat people with 3's, the perimeter shooters and david West. Paul just orchestrates the whole thing and makes it to where each player has a wide open look and furtunately for N.O they have good shooters. Paul will get his 15-20 points each game and that is OK for the other team but you want to get his assists numbers in the single digits. Any defense you throw at the guy he will adjust though and that i what makes him so special.

Lakersho
12-17-2008, 02:51 PM
show on him out front on the pic with big,until your guard can catch up . and hope your d can adjust...

Skin&Bones
12-17-2008, 04:19 PM
Only thing to do is make him shoot all night, shut down the passing lanes as much as possible. He is an elite playmaker, and thats the way to slow him down is by stopping the feeds to other teammates..

He is not going to make all the baskets, plus it disrupts the chemistry of the whole team...

Thats how the lakers won the game against them, the first 3 quarters are huge leads for us, and they are having such a hard time. But then...as usual for the lakers they lag on defense on the final quarter and the big lead becomes history...and you know how it happened? Paul got his teammates involved. But good thing we still won the game.

JJ81
12-17-2008, 05:09 PM
Break his legs.

Vinny642
12-17-2008, 05:11 PM
I don't know why you say put D Will on him... DWill only gets him in foul trouble.

The CrucifiXioN
12-17-2008, 07:06 PM
I don't know why you say put D Will on him... DWill only gets him in foul trouble.
That's one way to contain him though. By getting him in foul trouble, you force him to take a seat on the bench, making him virtually useless. Deron Williams is the best at doing that.

Vinny642
12-17-2008, 07:25 PM
But if you watch the game you will see they were bulls*** fouls. I think D Will is the second best defender but Paul is still uncontainable IMO

Joshtd1
12-17-2008, 07:29 PM
I think the best thing to try and do is to go under screens and make him shoot jumpers. The same thing that people to when they play against the Spurs and Parker. I would much rather see our defender go under a screen and see CP3 take a 15-17 foot jumper(even though his jumper is pretty good) then a open lane in which he can either get a easy layup, or kick it out to wide open shooter.

Someone mentioned it up there, but also letting him go 1 on 1, and covering up the other players on the court would be my other suggestion.

wolf3742
12-17-2008, 07:33 PM
I agree with what was posted earlier. The best way to defend chris paul is just put one defender on him and guard the heck out of the other players. Let him score by all means but do not let his assist go up. If you double on him, expect it taht he will find the open man right away. That is the key thing for Paul.

Or get him on foul trouble early on. let him work on D

lakers4sho
12-17-2008, 07:34 PM
The key is the rotation. Cut all the passing lanes and don't ever, ever, sag off of someone. After the screen and roll either the guy HAS to return to his man RIGHT AWAY or someone has to come in and help IMMEDIATELY.

The key is to stop the passing lanes. He's capable of scoring 30 and dishing 20 in a given night. You NEED to take away one of the two. Unfortunately, you can't take away both. The man is just too good.

The Answer3
12-17-2008, 07:37 PM
Very simple. Put Steve Nash on him.

DreamShaker
12-17-2008, 07:40 PM
I agree with alot of the observations....I also say make him work hard on defense....if you have a bigger guard post him up on CP3....wear him down.....probably won't work but it does make him work that much harder....

DreamShaker
12-17-2008, 07:41 PM
very simple. Put steve nash on him.

Haha totally!

Vinny642
12-17-2008, 07:42 PM
Very simple. Put Steve Nash on him.

LOL Crazy. Paul scored like 40 a game against the Suns last year.

alexander_37
12-17-2008, 07:42 PM
kick him in the nuts or cut of his leg otherwise he is not slowing down

Vinny642
12-17-2008, 07:43 PM
I agree with alot of the observations....I also say make him work hard on defense....if you have a bigger guard post him up on CP3....wear him down.....probably won't work but it does make him work that much harder....

Jason Kidd tried that last year in the playoffs but it didn't work that good.

The CrucifiXioN
12-17-2008, 07:45 PM
Jason Kidd tried that last year in the playoffs but it didn't work that good.
Doesn't he also do well vs. Chauncey Billups?

MiamiHeat
12-17-2008, 07:48 PM
the only way to contain CP is to get one of your worst players
to fk with him and try and get him ejected because we all know
he never backs down and is a feisty guy :p

Highlight
12-17-2008, 07:52 PM
I think the best thing to try and do is to go under screens and make him shoot jumpers. The same thing that people to when they play against the Spurs and Parker. I would much rather see our defender go under a screen and see CP3 take a 15-17 foot jumper(even though his jumper is pretty good) then a open lane in which he can either get a easy layup, or kick it out to wide open shooter.

Someone mentioned it up there, but also letting him go 1 on 1, and covering up the other players on the court would be my other suggestion.

I agree. Make him shoot jumpers all game. When he gets into the paint, either he'll get a good look at the basket, or he'll open up good looks for his teammates. It's better just to make him shoot long jumpers and try and contest it. I would take contested jumpers over layups and wide open looks any day of the week.

I also think you have to make Paul work on defense. If you're just going to let him relax on defense he'll kill you. That's the case with superstars in this league. They relax on defense hoping their man misses shots and as a result they expend most of their energy on the offensive side of the floor.

All in all, playing offense is much easier than defense. Make him work.

The Answer3
12-17-2008, 07:52 PM
LOL Crazy. Paul scored like 40 a game against the Suns last year.

Haha totally!

Nash G.O.A.T defender NOT. Sorry for the sarcastic post.

jimbobjarree
12-17-2008, 07:54 PM
get Derick Rose to slip his foot under CP3 when he takes a jumper so he lands on it...it definatly stopped Deron for more than the game

Vinny642
12-17-2008, 07:56 PM
paul doesnt jump that high when he shoots so it will be pretty hard to hurt him like that

MagicBucsSox
12-17-2008, 07:57 PM
yea u play him like lebron u sag off him make him beat u by shooting cause if he penetrates he;s gon score or find an open guy cause your D broke down

Dwill the best most uderrated pg in the game free him from utah

ramz.n
12-17-2008, 07:59 PM
lol flagrant foul..can't produce if hes not in the game

Vinny642
12-17-2008, 08:01 PM
Why dont u like DWill in Utah?

NYMetros
12-17-2008, 08:02 PM
Get him in foul trouble. Have your PG drive at him every time and jump into him.

tonyd3b54
12-17-2008, 08:24 PM
the question is do u wanna contain paul or do u wanna contain the jazz? u can contain him by having people rotate over to stop his penetration but even thjo ur stopping paul hell hit the open man... so u can stop paul but ull still lose...

lakers4sho
12-17-2008, 08:38 PM
the question is do u wanna contain paul or do u wanna contain the jazz? u can contain him by having people rotate over to stop his penetration but even thjo ur stopping paul hell hit the open man... so u can stop paul but ull still lose...

CP plays for the Jazz? :cool:

the unknown
12-17-2008, 09:13 PM
Chris Paul is a great player.. but he is small. so the real way to stop him is :

This is for playoff use only.. not for regular season.

make him intimidated to drive inside. Get your bigs to make hard fouls, the ones were he hit the ground hard. Charles Oakley him.. Make him scared to drive the middle in fear of getting hurt... that will not shut him down but he will extremely less effective...

He is an exciting player to watch.. soo take the crowd out of the game also. Make him shoot 20 free throws to take some flash away.

Put a quick taller stronger player on him(Dwill).

While doing this... switch your defensive schemes.. Throw some doubles single coverage and zone defense to confuse him...

you will not shut him down but this should be enough to contain him

cegielskijastro
12-17-2008, 09:25 PM
The Rockets usually do a pretty good job defending him... just put Battier or Artest on him... and if that doesn't work hit him in the leg with a cro-bar.

Mr.Grizzly
12-17-2008, 09:53 PM
can't stop the guy

Vinny642
12-18-2008, 01:28 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
As shown by the Spurs today

MagicBucsSox
12-18-2008, 01:51 AM
out of utah cause he'll never get the hype he deserves or the marketability and when boozer fleas for florida he'll never be noticed