PDA

View Full Version : All I want for Christmas is...Mark Teixeira

thegreatone08
12-16-2008, 07:27 PM
Is reported that Tex is very close to making a decision on who he will be playing for in 2009.

Karl Ravech says the Teixeira sweepstakes are nearing a conclusion and indications are that the free agent has "an enormous attraction to the Orioles."

ladies and gents, this could be the signing that could turn this franchise around. now, im not saying we will be in contention this upcomming year. However, we now have a face of this franshise. It could turn into more of an icon, ala Ripken. This could get the fan base back up and get this franchise back where it belongs. Any way you look at it, this signing is a positive, whether it be offense, defense, face of the franchise, fanbase or in the community. Please Tex, I would honestly ask no more for Christmas than you playing firstbase for us next year!!

Driven
12-16-2008, 08:05 PM
I have a feeling an announcement will be made tomorrow.

Bosoxgoober15
12-16-2008, 08:50 PM
I have a feeling an announcement will be made tomorrow.

yep. and he will be standing next to theo getting handed a sox jersey

thegreatone08
12-16-2008, 09:00 PM
I've been constantly checkin espn.com every so often just waiting to see a breaking news story.

I really don't think Tex goes to the Sox. He has been waiting to get his chance to play in Baltimore and this is a perfect time. I have a feeling that the O's will atleast match the best offer Tex gets, maybe even go 10-20 mil higher.

With that being said, if the O's don't get him then I do hope he goes to the Sox. Only because I hate the Yankees with a passion and it would be an absolute insult if he signed with the Nats. I think the Angles are out of the running because he wants to play on the east coast and they have shifted their sights to Manny. I do believe he will be holding down first base in Camden next year tho!

Eicholtz
12-16-2008, 10:46 PM
Anything could happen. I just have a feeling that they are not out of it. Unlike in years past when big names played the Orioles to get more dough.

mijit88
12-17-2008, 09:41 AM
Lets bring the big boy home for the holidays!

Driven
12-17-2008, 10:05 AM
yep. and he will be standing next to theo getting handed a sox jersey
Maybe, but I would say that the O's are the favorites right now.

thegreatone08
12-17-2008, 02:04 PM
Looks like the O's aren't gonna get in the bidding war for Tex. Looks like the only way he comes if he really, really wants to play in Baltimore other. It will be hard for him to pass up all this money. Gonna be a very sad day if signes else where!

bigity b
12-17-2008, 03:58 PM
^^^ actually its easy to pass up the money because whats the difference in a few mill when you're already getting close to 200... The players assoc. AND (most importantly) Boras dont/wont want him to pass up the money cause they would feel the impact more.

vetoedbyangelos
12-17-2008, 07:11 PM
If you're getting your news from ESPN, don't bother. It's great entertainment, but they're hardly reliable. I have other ways to procure my information, and I take pride in it's general accuracy. I won't BS anyone and say I know what's going on in Camden Yards, but I do talk to several local correspondents who have a better idea than most. The Orioles are still in the mix. In fact, the Red Sox are considered front-runners, but that's strictly based on media perception. Here's something to chew on: Mark Teixeira was drafted in the ninth round out of high school - by the Boston Red Sox. He opted to go to Georgia Tech, where he improved his draft status. During an interview (I believe in 2003), he recalled how his draft stock plummeted - namely because the Red Sox called him soft and tried to scare off potential suitors. He firmly believed he was a first round talent, and that the Red Sox sabotaged him to drive the price down - because they had concerns about signability. He has since said it was a blessing in disguise, but make no mistake, he harbors some resentment. He might sign with them, but if he does, it's only because he wants to win and he doesn't think the Orioles will be able to deliver.

Honestly, if the Yankees were in the mix, they'd have a much better shot. Thankfully, they seem to be sitting this one out.

thegreatone08
12-17-2008, 07:57 PM
Yes I was getting my information from ESPN and I'm starting to see what crap it is. Yesterday we had a good chance and today we are out of it. Hopefully Tex looks at more than the $$$.