PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: Varej„o + Sczerbiak for Marion

Faneik
12-16-2008, 03:56 PM
Source: Yahoo

"The Cavaliers have had ongoing discussions with the Miami Heat about an Anderson Varejao and Wally Szczerbiak for Shawn Marion trade, a league executive familiar with the discussions said."

Full Article

Faneik
12-16-2008, 03:57 PM
I don't want this trade to happen.:hide:

barreleffact
12-16-2008, 04:13 PM
this would be the most ******** trade the heat can make. they get absolutely no benefit from this. if anything they should make a run at boozer while milsap is performing so well. they would still have problems even then because haslem has been a great producer for them and is a great talent, but it would be far better than dumping marion for that garbage

NYKnickFanatic
12-16-2008, 04:19 PM
This thread is already made.
Merge them. :)

Faneik
12-16-2008, 04:20 PM
This thread is already made.
Merge them. :)

Sorry. Merge them please.

Faneik
12-16-2008, 04:22 PM
this would be the most ******** trade the heat can make. they get absolutely no benefit from this. if anything they should make a run at boozer while milsap is performing so well. they would still have problems even then because haslem has been a great producer for them and is a great talent, but it would be far better than dumping marion for that garbage

Maybe Heat is looking for size and planning Varejao at C, Haslem at PF and Beasley at SF. Wally coming from the bench.

Cavs get an athletic versatile forward. If they start running and gunning, with their good defense, they'll be very strong. Too many weapons around Lebron.

J$mo0th_3o5
12-16-2008, 04:24 PM
I think it's pretty good for Miami actually:shrug:

Master Mind
12-16-2008, 04:25 PM

I completely agree...

NYKnickFanatic
12-16-2008, 04:29 PM
Here is the original thread if anyone is interested. :)

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=304220

Cavs_Fan24
12-16-2008, 04:29 PM
I really dont want to trade Andy. But if we get Marion, I'd consider it.

thephoenixson28
12-16-2008, 04:33 PM
Shawn marion was rumored every year to be traded with the phoenix suns and he was very upset I wonder how he feels now. Sorry marion you didn't make the relationship work so therefore your on a losing team + your averaging career lows in everything when you could have been catching lobs from steve nash.

unwantedplayer
12-16-2008, 04:48 PM
I totally agree with thephoenixson28, marion is rumored to be traded every day. I don't see Marion going to the Cavs because they already have LeBron James, who will never be benched because of a player that plays his position.

Faneik
12-16-2008, 04:50 PM
Here is the original thread if anyone is interested. :)

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=304220

Sorry man. Didn't see it...

Hellcrooner
12-16-2008, 05:15 PM
,ebron can play sg if needed marion can play pf if needed.

Be-EaZY bEASLEy
12-16-2008, 05:28 PM
A 20-4 team should not be making a trade of this magnitude.

The Cavs should just seek minor acquisitions.

dwiduck
12-16-2008, 05:31 PM
as a cavs fan im not too sure i'd want this trade to happen

superkegger
12-16-2008, 05:32 PM
Don't really see the benefit for either side to be honest. The Cavs are not known to be a high powered running offense. I know they're scoring 102 a game right now, and perhaps that will continue. But I just don't see marion fitting in with that team to be honest. Marion is versatile defensively, which is nice, but I just don't see him being a real nice fit in Cleveland. He absolutely needs to be in an up and down running game to be most effective.

barreleffact
12-16-2008, 05:35 PM

this would be an absolute steal for the cavs if there are no problems in the lockerroom. if chemistry works its a raping easily. they lose a solid rotation player and a shooter only and get a player who could start in most of the league.

cheetos185
12-16-2008, 05:39 PM
this would be an absolute steal for the cavs if there are no problems in the lockerroom. if chemistry works its a raping easily. they lose a solid rotation player and a shooter only and get a player who could start in most of the league.

Marion has been known as a cancer in the locker room and he still thinks he's worth 15-17mil $$$$ so if the cavs get him they have to commit to sign him back otherwise they gave up varejo for nothing

lakersrock
12-16-2008, 05:41 PM
....if they take this and the Lakers don't offer Odom/Filler, I'll be mad.

Fisher
Kobe
Marion/Ariza
Gasol/Marion
Bynum/Gasol

Chalmers
Wade
Beasley
Odom
Anthony

Teeboy1487
12-16-2008, 05:43 PM
marion for ben wallace would be a better deal for the heat.

The Answer3
12-16-2008, 05:44 PM
Marion is overpaid and has been garbage for us this year. He's a system player. Dude can't finish and can't hit wide open looks. I like it for the Heat. It gives us a player who gives us front-court depth and a perimeter player who can hit the 3.

Lo Porto
12-16-2008, 05:48 PM
For that guy who said that Marion plays LeBron's position, that is incorrect. LeBron will play the 3 and Marion is best suited to play the 4.

I think the Heat does this trade to do another trade. Marion's contract & Boozer's contract do not match up so they can't be traded one for one. However, Szczerbiak's and Boozer's match up nicely. Utah would rather have Wally than Marion because it is doubtful that Utah would try to keep Marion after this year but you know Wally is good as gone. Plus, Utah could probably get 2 1st rounders out of the Heat with Wally but only get one with Marion if any.

NBAkYD
12-16-2008, 05:53 PM
When did Shaun Marion fall to the point where he can be evenly traded for two role players?

Sox Appeal
12-16-2008, 06:00 PM

I would usually agree with a statement like this. Not this time though. When things are going well like they are in Cleveland, it would defiantly be a risky move to shake things up and trade for Maron. But I think it's defiantly worth the risk. Marion would be able to take the pressure off Lebron on the defensive end of the floor, and he could go up against the opposing teams best perimeter player. This would go a LONG way in keeping Lebron fresh for the playoffs. Another thing this would do (I hate bringing up 2010 but..) it would show Lebron that the Cavs are committed to winning, and that could help out them out BIG TIME when the time comes to resign Lebron.

HOZ THE KNICK
12-16-2008, 06:07 PM
marion can be that guy for the cavs when lebron have a off night.

fatpat1116
12-16-2008, 06:32 PM
marion can be that guy for the cavs when lebron have a off night.

so hes gonna be the guy never lol

Durant is hype
12-16-2008, 06:38 PM
....if they take this and the Lakers don't offer Odom/Filler, I'll be mad.

Fisher
Kobe
Marion/Ariza
Gasol/Marion
Bynum/Gasol

Chalmers
Wade
Beasley
Odom
Anthony

Odom might be the much talented player,but he doesn't fit the Heat as much as Varejao.

Master Mind
12-16-2008, 06:40 PM
Odom might be the much talented player,but he doesn't fit the Heat as much as Varejao.

Odom>Varejao :eyebrow:

JJ81
12-16-2008, 06:41 PM
Doubt that.

hotpotato1092
12-16-2008, 06:48 PM
Cavs should be trying to acquire Michael Redd with those expiring deals. A starting five of Mo-Redd-LeBron-Varejao-Illgauskas would be awesome, especially if Ben Wallace could be good off the bench. In fact the bench would be really good too: sasha-gibson-wallace-whoever they get for eric snow's expiring deal. Maybe not better than Boston or LA, but I think that puts them at their level (no I don't think they're there yet.)

UnWantedTheory
12-16-2008, 06:48 PM
Not gonna happen.

hotpotato1092
12-16-2008, 06:49 PM
this is assuming they could get milwaukee to agree to wallys expiring deal, JJ hickson and two first rounders

Fmaranesi
12-16-2008, 06:52 PM
I really like this for the heat. It gives them a big which they need really bad and a good role player/sixth man. Marion is not a good fit in miami's system, big v can give you the same production and is bigger

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
12-16-2008, 06:53 PM
I am not too sold on this deal. I think the Cavaliers would do better with a more offensive player, but there are some positives of getting Shawn Marion.

Hawkeye15
12-16-2008, 07:36 PM
I like this trade for Miami, not for Cleveland. Why give up a good defender and offensive rebounder from a 20-4 team, as well as your one big expiring deal, for Shawn Marion, when you play a slow down offense? Marion needs the open court game to thrive, as obviously shown in Miami this year. This would be a total steal for Miami. Wally comes off the books this summer, they have an energy guy to defend and rebound for 25 mpg, and they can sign Booz, or a good center this summer, and be back in business next season

b_rad23
12-16-2008, 07:44 PM
I like this trade for Miami, not for Cleveland. Why give up a good defender and offensive rebounder from a 20-4 team, as well as your one big expiring deal, for Shawn Marion, when you play a slow down offense? Marion needs the open court game to thrive, as obviously shown in Miami this year. This would be a total steal for Miami. Wally comes off the books this summer, they have an energy guy to defend and rebound for 25 mpg, and they can sign Booz, or a good center this summer, and be back in business next season

Because Marion is better at both?

Plus in every other part of the game.

Hawkeye15
12-16-2008, 07:50 PM
Because Marion is better at both?

Plus in every other part of the game.

Yes Marion is better than Varejo. But Marion will need to be resigned after this season, and he will want more money than he is worth. He is on the sharp decline, and without a running style offense, he is worth about 1/5 of his salary. Varejo is a role player, he knows it, and is big, active, and exactly what Miami needs off the bench down the road. My point is, Cleveland can do better with the contract of Wally. Marion's best days are behind him, and expect his 15-9 to continue to drop. Wally brings virtually nothing to the trade but cash. If the Cavs were to trade for Marion, and then resign him long term, that would be idiotic. So why not just let Wally fall off the books if that is the only deal that comes along. Marion is not the piece that will push them over the top this season. You need Varejo for when Big Z is hurting, for energy and defense, plus offensive rebounding. Marion would not mesh with that offense AT ALL

hotpotato1092
12-16-2008, 07:55 PM
Yes Marion is better than Varejo. But Marion will need to be resigned after this season, and he will want more money than he is worth. He is on the sharp decline, and without a running style offense, he is worth about 1/5 of his salary. Varejo is a role player, he knows it, and is big, active, and exactly what Miami needs off the bench down the road. My point is, Cleveland can do better with the contract of Wally. Marion's best days are behind him, and expect his 15-9 to continue to drop. Wally brings virtually nothing to the trade but cash. If the Cavs were to trade for Marion, and then resign him long term, that would be idiotic. So why not just let Wally fall off the books if that is the only deal that comes along. Marion is not the piece that will push them over the top this season. You need Varejo for when Big Z is hurting, for energy and defense, plus offensive rebounding. Marion would not mesh with that offense AT ALL

Marion may want more money than he's worth, but with 2010 coming up nobody will give it to him. If he wants half the money he thinks he's worth he'll have to go to Europe

b_rad23
12-16-2008, 07:56 PM

Even if he doesnt mesh, he's worth 12-16 a game, 9 rebounds and great, versitile defense. I personally do think this would push them over the top. They'd be even better defensively and tough to play in every way.

Personally, as a Heat fan, I don't think Varajao is just what we need. We need another slasher to create, a post scorer, size, and 3 point shooting. Varajao brings size and Wally brings 3pters but I don't think it's enough unless we're getting another piece. Whether it's a pick, Hickson, etc. I think it's a good deal. If not I'm not too happy, considering he was traded straight up for Shaq, who would definitely be nice right now.

Hawkeye15
12-16-2008, 08:04 PM
Even if he doesnt mesh, he's worth 12-16 a game, 9 rebounds and great, versitile defense. I personally do think this would push them over the top. They'd be even better defensively and tough to play in every way.

Personally, as a Heat fan, I don't think Varajao is just what we need. We need another slasher to create, a post scorer, size, and 3 point shooting. Varajao brings size and Wally brings 3pters but I don't think it's enough unless we're getting another piece. Whether it's a pick, Hickson, etc. I think it's a good deal. If not I'm not too happy, considering he was traded straight up for Shaq, who would definitely be nice right now.

I am not saying Anderson is the answer, I am saying he is a good role playing going forward. Marion is not that good anymore. You know he isn't in the Heat's long term plans. It would give them something moving forward. I agree, a better deal should be looked at. Gerald Wallace for example may be available to them. Good luck getting a post scorer, that will be free agent $$, those guys don't get traded often. Wally is terrible man. Totally done. HE is $$$ at this point. And when he is on the floor, they go right at him on the other end. SHoot, they did that even when he was 25

Kings Faithful
12-16-2008, 08:07 PM
There is another article stating that the Kings are actually in talks as well with a Miller + Filler for Marion involved. It might come down to who the Heat choose and i honestly think they would rather have Miller because they are in big need for a big center. We'll see thoe.

Quasimoto
12-16-2008, 08:14 PM
Cavs should be trying to acquire Michael Redd with those expiring deals. A starting five of Mo-Redd-LeBron-Varejao-Illgauskas would be awesome, especially if Ben Wallace could be good off the bench. In fact the bench would be really good too: sasha-gibson-wallace-whoever they get for eric snow's expiring deal. Maybe not better than Boston or LA, but I think that puts them at their level (no I don't think they're there yet.)

Cavs Will Never Get Michael Redd As Long As Mo Is There....

They Dont Get Along AT ALL...

x_notorious
12-16-2008, 08:24 PM
Meh. I really don't like it for either sides.

jimbobjarree
12-16-2008, 08:51 PM
this isnt the Heat tanking is it?

or will they go Chalmers-wade-beasley-haslem-andy?

LeBrowns
12-16-2008, 08:51 PM
I would love this trade as a cavs fan. For as good as AV is playing right now...he's really not that good. He gets alot of his points because of his floor chemistry with LeBron, which is the only thing that really worries me about trading him away.

LeBrowns
12-16-2008, 08:52 PM
this is assuming they could get milwaukee to agree to wallys expiring deal, JJ hickson and two first rounders

That would be an absolutely awful trade for the cavs, I don't even know where to begin. We really don't need anymore guards in the first place...

LeBrowns
12-16-2008, 08:56 PM

I highly doubt that Cavs would commit to Marion long term, I see this as a rental deal. Varejao also has the option to opt out of his deal after this season.

JayW_1023
12-16-2008, 08:56 PM
I rather have two valuable roleplayers close to their prime than a former all-star who plays the same position as your franchise player...with whom you have no clue how to fit in the system.

The Cavs are deep and they already have two dependable options after James in Mo Williams and Big Z, who has been terrific this season. The rest of the squad are solid dependable role players (well, except Sasha Pavlovic).

This trade is too big a risk considering the cavs are 20-4 and unbeaten at home. If they trade for Marion, they will likely lose him the next season to clear cap room for LBJ.

One season of Marion isn't worth parting ways with useful pieces like Varejao and pure shooters like Wally. It's moronic.

Raptorballa
12-16-2008, 09:17 PM
Guys the rumor was false!

"Brian Windhorst of the Plain Dealer that the Cavaliers and Heat have not discussed a Shawn Marion trade."

JermanJaysFan
12-16-2008, 09:28 PM
I rather have two valuable roleplayers close to their prime than a former all-star who plays the same position as your franchise player...with whom you have no clue how to fit in the system.

I can see that statement made about Varejao, but no way is Wally "close to his prime". He is 31 and having the worst season of his career. His value is in his contract.

StraightBallin
12-16-2008, 09:50 PM
This rumor is 100% false. Danny Ferry said he has never talked to Miami about a trade for Marion even in the summer when the Heat were really trying to push a trade. I seen this rumor also but, it's completely false. The Cavs are 1 of the top 3 teams in the NBA. Why try and fix something that isn't broken right? It makes you wonder though why would anyone start a rumor like this without hearing it from the Cavs front office or Miami's. There's some whacked out sportswriter's in the U.S. They always be coming up with ridiculous trades out of thin air. Miami is shopping Marion and the Clippers are shopping Kaman. That trade works out for both teams. Miami needs a big man and the Clippers need cap room. That's the trade that will eventually go down.

J$mo0th_3o5
12-16-2008, 10:05 PM
This rumor is 100% false. Danny Ferry said he has never talked to Miami about a trade for Marion even in the summer when the Heat were really trying to push a trade. I seen this rumor also but, it's completely false. The Cavs are 1 of the top 3 teams in the NBA. Why try and fix something that isn't broken right? It makes you wonder though why would anyone start a rumor like this without hearing it from the Cavs front office or Miami's. There's some whacked out sportswriter's in the U.S. They always be coming up with ridiculous trades out of thin air. Miami is shopping Marion and the Clippers are shopping Kaman. That trade works out for both teams. Miami needs a big man and the Clippers need cap room. That's the trade that will eventually go down.

Now that's what I would love to see...... Riley is in love with this guy.

Jonathan2323
12-16-2008, 10:08 PM
Guys the rumor was false!

"Brian Windhorst of the Plain Dealer that the Cavaliers and Heat have not discussed a Shawn Marion trade."

just like the Shaq tade to the Suns was false and happened two days later. i dont want this trade to happen anyways.

AirJordanXVIII
12-16-2008, 10:08 PM
This is such a ****ing rape for the Cavs.

Kabowdos
12-16-2008, 11:18 PM
I don't think either team benefits too well.

Marion's career is coming to an end. He has played awful without Steve Nash being his point guard. He is teamed up with Wade and is not even making a huge impact. You would think his stats would increase but they have significantly decreased.

LeBrowns
12-16-2008, 11:20 PM
Now that's what I would love to see...... Riley is in love with this guy.

I highly doubt Kaman gets traded for Marion straight up. LA could get ALOT more than an expiring.

Lost Art
12-16-2008, 11:25 PM
Wow, this would make the Cavs REALLY REALLY REALLY scary.

Why the hell would Miami do this?

Jonathan2323
12-16-2008, 11:28 PM
Wow, this would make the Cavs REALLY REALLY REALLY scary.

Why the hell would Miami do this?

becaUSE Marion is useless. he is horrible he cant even defend well anymore and he cant hit any shots except his runners.

LeBrowns
12-16-2008, 11:30 PM
I'd be willing to see what Marion can do in another system. Everyone thought Ben Wallace was done until he got into a familiar situation. This may or may not be the same case.

Lost Art
12-16-2008, 11:32 PM
becaUSE Marion is useless. he is horrible he cant even defend well anymore and he cant hit any shots except his runners.

Probably because nobody ever gives him the ball and he's on a crappy team. If you got him involved and he was on a better squad he could definitely still ball. He's a beast, he's just not getting the opportunities that he should get.

.........but then again he probably wouldn't get many opportunities in Cleveland either.

Really, I think that the Lakers are the best choice for him. In the triangle offense the ball moves through the air and nobody dominates the basketball. With his skills at moving without the basketball and finding open lanes, he could be very deadly in LA. Odom for Marion?

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
12-16-2008, 11:32 PM

He isn't as bad as you make him sound, but I think you are a little right.

op12
12-16-2008, 11:33 PM
i dont understand the hate for marion. he is long, he can shoot, even though you guys say he cant, he is a good rebounder and plays great D. this would make the cavs give the celtics more of a run than even last year. with his scoring ability and strong D they wont miss andy. this could put the cavs over the top like they were hoping big ben would.

Jonathan2323
12-16-2008, 11:36 PM
i dont understand the hate for marion. he is long, he can shoot, even though you guys say he cant, he is a good rebounder and plays great D. this would make the cavs give the celtics more of a run than even last year. with his scoring ability and strong D they wont miss andy. this could put the cavs over the top like they were hoping big ben would.

maybe he is not playing as hard because he knows he will get traded but he is really fustrating to watch. he will have one good game maybe out of five.