PDA

View Full Version : Shawn Marion...

batman8040
12-16-2008, 12:24 PM
As the Cleveland Cavaliers relentlessly try to accumulate talent to surround MVP favorite LeBron James, the unending question is this: Do they dare mess with a franchise on a collision course with the Boston Celtics in the Eastern Conference finals?

The Cavaliers have had ongoing discussions with the Miami Heat about an Anderson Varejao and Wally Szczerbiak for Shawn Marion trade, a league executive familiar with the discussions said.

So, here is what the Cavs are asking themselves now: Do we dare?

Miami has had discussions with several teams lately on Marion, including the Toronto Raptors and Sacramento Kings, sources say, but Cleveland could deliver the most intriguing proposition. Marion has struggled with the Heat Ė averaging well below his career averages in scoring and rebounding Ė but several league executives believe heíll be more motivated and valuable with a championship contender. Thatís the reason Cleveland is entertaining the possibility. GM Danny Ferry and coach Mike Brown are wondering whether Marion could be the difference in a conference final against the Celtics.

Nothing is imminent, but itís an intriguing possibility. Since Marionís trade to Miami for Shaquille OíNeal last season, his value has steadily declined. Before the season, his agent, Dan Fegan, turned down a three-year, $30 million extension. Marion will be lucky to get more on the market this summer. Marion, 30, makes $17.8 million this season.

For the Heat, Szczerbiak has a $13 million expiring contract, and Varejao has a playerís option on $6.2 million. Heíll likely opt out. This leaves Miami with a chance to negotiate a new contract with Varejao, or let him lapse and allow the Heat even more cap space for the summer.. Still, Cleveland is 20-4 and hesitant to mess with the chemistry. Nevertheless, the Cavs are trying desperately to win a championship with James prior to 2010 free agency.

Brown loves to play big lineups with Varejao on the floor, but Marion could give the Cavs the versatility on defense that he did the Suns. In the same series, Marion could cover Tony Parker and Tim Duncan. Against the Celtics, Marion could spend time on Rajon Rondo and Kevin Garnett. For the Cavs, itís something to consider as the days and weeks churn toward the Feb. 17 trade deadline.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Atzq4I8DF.ecLkoXBFxRysm8vLYF?slug=aw-marion121508&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

x45x
12-16-2008, 12:34 PM
Wally and Sasha its a deal!

NickChrisless
12-16-2008, 12:48 PM
I am not 50% sure I want this. In the off-season I think I'm jumping for joy at the sound of this.

But now... ?

AV has become so valuable right now that I'm not sure I'd give him up straight for Marion. Marion may be the better player, but for the fit that AV is on OUR team, it's insane to create a hole to try and fill another (do we have a hole?) Having a SOLID rebounder off the bench has been so key. Our 2nd team without LeBron has been able to keep the flow going because of AV's stellar big man play and rebounding.

I'm not sold yet...

kingshiz
12-16-2008, 01:29 PM
I think this would help us out shawn marion is a good player he is better than wally...but i think that the cavs should give up wally an eric snow or sasha because shawn marion can score better than wally an is a better all around player...remember the suns with shawn marion he averaged good numbers with them i think that if cleveland got a run a gun style play they would be the best in the east an plus if it dont work out shawn marion's contract is up after this season i believe so that would take 17.5 million off are salary an it would'nt hurt at all we would have the same team as far as lebron, z, big ben , delonte ,an mo williams,so are starting five would still be there an this would just add more evergy off the bench marion is a run a gun tyoe player an i think he would make us a better team with him an lebron an mo i think they can put the run an gun style 2 perfection

kingshiz
12-16-2008, 01:35 PM
Besides what do we have 2 lose we are not better than boston yet an wally is not the shooter he use to be he has lost the touch for the game an is clumbsy with the ball with marion he can handle the ball an is also a better defender an defence make's us that much better an i think that he can take delonte west spot at the to gaurd spot an have delonte west come off the bench for the point gaurd spot or shooting gaurd trust me this would be it 4 the cavs...do it cleveland make the trade im all 4 it

iggypop123
12-16-2008, 01:59 PM
Wally and Sasha its a deal!

the rumor is wally and varejo. must be desperate for size and playing time for beasley

Jonathan2323
12-16-2008, 02:51 PM
why would the Cavs mess up there chemistry?

nygiants242
12-16-2008, 02:54 PM
He should go to the Lakers for Odom + Sasha maybe?

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
12-16-2008, 03:01 PM
I really don't want Marion for Wally. We can do better then that in my opinion with Wally..

THE MTL
12-16-2008, 04:03 PM
It a good trade, but why mess with chemistry. Marion is a chemistry killer now-a-days. And sucks. He was truly a product of D'Antoni and Nash.

EdTheRevelator
12-16-2008, 04:22 PM
I'm very leery of trading Andy, with how much he's improved, unless it's a slam dunk. Of course, I'm the one who's always saying we need to trade Wally, so if this is our move, then let's go for it.

And yeah, I'd do Wally and Sasha for Marion in a heartbeat. Hell, I'd buy Sasha's plane ticket for the Cavs. But it doesn't look likely that he'd be involved in a deal for Marion.

iggypop123
12-16-2008, 05:23 PM

and sasha? i would only do odom and mihm even then i have to think about it

Cavs_Fan24
12-16-2008, 05:49 PM
I don't think us giving away Andy will do anything. I mean, yeah, Marion's a good player, but his contract expires after this season too. I know Andy is going to most likely opt out but he could still re-sign with Cleveland. Besides Marion's best days as a basketball player are definitely behind him IMO, but he is still a good all-around player that would be excellent in our system. Rebounder, defender, gets out on the break, finishes plays, a good second-option on offense.

It's very tempting. I couldn't possibly make that decision, but Ferry could have something up his sleeve.

When Marion's contract expires we'd have almost $20M worth of cap space, he could either save it for another free agent in 2010, or re-sign Marion for less money and We could even get Andy back if he leaves Miami? Who knows. I can't wait to see what happens with this.

HOZ THE KNICK
12-16-2008, 06:09 PM
Wally and Sasha its a deal!what you think miami is stupid ?

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
12-16-2008, 06:29 PM
I don't want to trade Andy.. Especially for Marion who isn't really a major upgrade at any position.

Of course he is better then Wally but not Wally's expiring and Andy's ability and his expiring..

R32
12-16-2008, 06:31 PM

:badidea:

Cavs_Fan24
12-16-2008, 08:02 PM
I think Wally, Sasha, and a first-rounder for Marion is better. Well, for us anyways. But Miami probably wants a big man. We could give them Sasha Kaun? But he's still inexperienced so i doubt it.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
12-16-2008, 08:15 PM
I really don't want to trade Andy! But I think Marion could help us maybe even more.

Raptorballa
12-16-2008, 09:14 PM
Just to let all you guys know

the rumor was false :D

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
12-16-2008, 11:29 PM
Just to let all you guys know

the rumor was false :D

Good..

kingshiz
12-16-2008, 11:56 PM
I think this would be nice but if i had 2 choose i'd get some role player like jason kapono an andrea bargnani 4 wally that would be my trade that give's cavs another big like Z an a sg-sf jason kapono that is a great shooter from beyond the arc...

sep20
12-17-2008, 07:25 AM
Hello Cavs fans. A Laker fan here saying that to what I've read thus far the trade offer still stands, and reading your post i would say that, first Ferry is a hard working GM. and really wants the title.

That said, i think that this would be a great move for the Cavs. it may seem hard to part with Vareajo, but if he can't be taken out of equation great. If not, look at what is comming in return.

Marion, a Ben Wallece player with offense, not to conforting but that's what you get as far as D, he plays multipable position but gaurds 1-4 with great D and plays off the flow of the game. which is his biggest asset that you don't have to draw plays for him because its a in the game reaction.

So with this pick up I can say I see a Cavs. vs. Lakers finals LBJ vs KB and will get another answer of he is better after a finals match up.
Of course as a Laker guy, the lakers would win in 6/7.

sep20
12-17-2008, 07:52 AM
Sorry for making the last post long. And now I'm back and will try not to make it long. Here are some trades that would add to the Cavs. roster, while subtracting Wally Szczerbiak.

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=3440~831~111~2171~2794&teams=29~29~5~5~5&te=&cash=
1st. trade with Grizz. adds depth to front court, a center at Zydrunas Ilgauskas mold in Darko Milicic, and H. Warrick at foward if you seen him play you can see what he adds to the Cavs, and both are young still. Last Buckner He is just a class act and nice defender.
Grizz, more money off the books.

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=3440~831~111~2171~2794&teams=29~29~5~5~5&te=&cash=
2nd. trade with Kings. adds nice vet center in miller to split time with Ilgauskas. And Salmons is a lpoor man's profile of Marion who can create his own offense while playing any role asked of him bench or starter. He could become 3rd fiddle option for the Cavs forming a nice trio set with James and williams. while the Kings can free up money and bring up their young bigs and open up space in the back court. Officialy launching the young rebuilding team.
And i thinks this line up gets you to the finals again easy

pg: williams/west/gibson lets add the fact that all 3 can play SG.
sg.: Salmons/Pavlovic/Kinsey and this guys can also play at SF.
SF: James and any of sg or depnding line up been played.
pf.: Wallace/Vareajo/hickson
c: Ilgauskas/ Miller

and sorry it long the cavs just have so much going for them that a few twick and boston wont stop them.

infamous
12-17-2008, 11:41 AM
Sorry for making the last post long. And now I'm back and will try not to make it long. Here are some trades that would add to the Cavs. roster, while subtracting Wally Szczerbiak.

1st. trade with Grizz. adds depth to front court, a center at Zydrunas Ilgauskas mold in Darko Milicic, and H. Warrick at foward if you seen him play you can see what he adds to the Cavs, and both are young still. Last Buckner He is just a class act and nice defender.
Grizz, more money off the books.

2nd. trade with Kings. adds nice vet center in miller to split time with Ilgauskas. And Salmons is a lpoor man's profile of Marion who can create his own offense while playing any role asked of him bench or starter. He could become 3rd fiddle option for the Cavs forming a nice trio set with James and williams. while the Kings can free up money and bring up their young bigs and open up space in the back court. Officialy launching the young rebuilding team.
And i thinks this line up gets you to the finals again easy

pg: williams/west/gibson lets add the fact that all 3 can play SG.
sg.: Salmons/Pavlovic/Kinsey and this guys can also play at SF.
SF: James and any of sg or depnding line up been played.
pf.: Wallace/Vareajo/hickson
c: Ilgauskas/ Miller

and sorry it long the cavs just have so much going for them that a few twick and boston wont stop them.

This trade is crazy. I don't know why people want Brad Miller as a Cav. He is old and slow, he is like a downgraded version of Z. If we will go for bigs might as well go after young prospects (like Kaman - I know it's not possible) and not after players who are close to retirement. Why would we give Wally and fillers for a bunch of crap? He will be more valuable come trade deadline.

infamous
12-17-2008, 11:52 AM
I think trading for Marion is the best possible scenario for the Cavs. I know AV is valuable and the trade doesn't make sense, but look at this possibility. Marion with the Cavs will propel the team as a solid contender in the league. If it (Marion) will not work then we will still have a very large expiring and a former all-star, which makes him a high value tradable asset, much better than Wally and AV combined, for that we can have another potential star in exchange for Marion. So It's a win-win situation for the Cavs no matter the outcome. If it doesn't work - we can still trade him.

I know Ferry thought about it (If the rumor was ever true). It's better that the Cavs pull the trigger on this trade as early as possible, in order to determine if Marion is a good fit for the Cavs, if not then we will still have plenty of time to shop him around.

But I would love to see this lineup:

PG - Mo
SG - LBJ (moved)
SF - Marion
PF - Big Ben
C - Z

Wow! :speechless:

MagicBucsSox
12-17-2008, 02:42 PM
its and dumb trade cavs dont need marion ,THEY'RE ALREADY THE BEST DEFENSIVE TEAM WELL 2ND(CELTICS), THEY NEED ANOTHER SCORER

Cavs_Fan24
12-17-2008, 04:36 PM
Personally, I trust Danny Ferry. He just made a trade offer, I doubt anything happens any time soon. Right now he's exploring his options, and I believe he'll take the best available one closer to deadline day.

IndiansFan337
12-17-2008, 07:06 PM
The only way we will consider trading Varejao for Marion is if the front office has been told or has reason to believe that Varejao will certainly not re sign with us this summer.

If that hasn't happened, I don't see them disrupting our current chemistry. Especially considering the age & how fragile Z & Wallace can be.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
12-18-2008, 01:50 AM
The only way we will consider trading Varejao for Marion is if the front office has been told or has reason to believe that Varejao will certainly not re sign with us this summer.

If that hasn't happened, I don't see them disrupting our current chemistry. Especially considering the age & how fragile Z & Wallace can be.

Exactly it just doesn't add up to me we don't need to just trade pieces away just to get players with bigger names.

y2koz7
12-18-2008, 10:31 AM
This would be a terrible trade for the Cavs:

1. Marion is a chemistry killer. While he was in Phoenix playing in the most exciting offense of the past 10 years, he wasn't happy and he brought everyone else down. He was detrimental enough to the team that D'Antoni and Kerr decided to gamble everything to get rid of him.

2. He isn't a defensive stopper. Varejao likes to score, but understands that he is an energy guy, takes charges, rebounds, and scores the opportunistic baskets. Marion needs plays called for him, wants the ball, and isn't willing to sacrifice on defense. Look at the defense Phoenix played - it was nonexistant. Why would Marion suddenly decide/learn to play tough D in his 10th season?

3. What the heck happens to our rotation? Either West is sent to the bench so Marion plays the 2, or Wallace is benched so Marion plays SF (his normal position), and LeBron moves to PF. Neither of those are great, but moving West to the bench is the better of the two, and still isn't good considering his ability to score when needed (ala last night against Minny, and last year in the playoffs against Boston), or simply play tough defense and shoot any open shot he gets.

I'll be honest, I'm not convinced this team can win a championship the way it is right now, but we will have a good idea after January with games against Boston, New Orleans, @Lakers, @Portland, @Utah, and @Orlando.

But I am convinced Marion is NOT our answer.

Storch
12-18-2008, 04:02 PM
if the cavs get the starting lineup of:

williams
lebron
marion
wallace
ilgauskas

Lebron has a dynasty team. He would be flat out "********" to leave cleveland to go to new york or new jersey, any team for that matter.

Cavs_Fan24
12-18-2008, 04:47 PM
^it does look like a pretty promising lineup.