PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Love or Craig Smith?

PurpleJesus
12-16-2008, 12:42 AM
To me it is pretty clear that we cannot keep all three of our good PFs, and since Al is clearly our player to build around, who would you go with for the future, Love, or Smith

I pick Love, but i think it is a much closer decision between the two than most people think. Smith is just so good and shoots for a very high percentage. Whenever the ball goes to him, I fell confident he will score. Smiths downside though is he isnt as good of a rebounder as Love is, and his height isnt what you want in that position ( i think he is 6'8").

Loves plusses are that he was the number 5 pick and we have a lot invested in him. He is a great rebounder, and although we havent seen it this year, he can shoot the jumper. He has potential to be one of the best offensive rebounders in the game.

(anyone know when smiths contract runs up)?

WSU Tony
12-16-2008, 01:02 AM
Can't we keep all 3 at this point? If we were to draft a center this year, maybe we would think about letting one of them go or trade one but at this point I think having all 3 is pretty valuable to the Wolves.

If I had to, I'd choose Love.

PurpleJesus
12-16-2008, 01:04 AM
yeah, we could keep all 3, but as most of us believe here, we need a true center, and if we need a true center, one of those three has to go. Its to bad we couldnt have kept mayo, then we could keep smith as jeffersons future backup

PurpleJesus
12-16-2008, 01:05 AM
and we wouldnt have had to use the number 3 pick on Als backup

jwin2005
12-16-2008, 02:05 AM
The more you guys talk about Love as our number 3 pick the more I want to cry. Seriously it is starting to hurt more and more when I see OJ Mayo go for 30 and Love is on our bench behind Craig Smith and when he gets in he scores like 4 points and 10 rebounds.

I dont know about you guys but even with all our draft picks coming up I still dont see light at the end of the tunnel. Even if we got Thabeet and Jennings I still dont see us anywhere close to .500 and there is almost no chance we are getting both of them.

howiend
12-16-2008, 02:14 AM
i think we have to keep all 3 we are fine on offense it is defense that is hurting us with the 3 pfs - i love how smith puts the ball on the floor, he is a tough matchup for many pfs and seems to have really improved

boeknows
12-16-2008, 02:29 AM
Smith is signed through the 2009-2010 season just so u know. But i think we should keep all three of them. They work well together. If we do sign a center or draft one i could still see us keeping all three of them and the 4 of them playing 20 to 25 mins a piece.

PurpleJesus
12-16-2008, 03:02 AM
jefferson playing only 20-25 minutes per game? hahahahahaha, he is the guy on our team that we build around, he needs 35-40mpg.

since their are 48 mpg, and we can only play two big men at a time, that is 96 minutes available per game, and if we subtract al at at least 37 mpg, that only gives us 59 minutes to split between 3 other bigs. That only gives us 19.5 minutes between 3 guys, and i just dont feel comfortable giving only 19 minutes to the guy who we used the 3rd pick to get, and the other potential guy we will use a number one pick on to give them only 19 mpg.

now on the other hand, if we get rid of smith or love, and we draft a guy to be our future true center, than we would have to split all those minutes only 3 ways, thus allowing jefferson his 37 minutes, and giving love and future center 30 mpg as well.

Seriously guys, we cant keep 3 PFs who all deserve time on this team after we get a true center. Do you really want to give another 1st round pick minimal minutes?

its a numbers thing

PurpleJesus
12-16-2008, 03:07 AM
i think we have to keep all 3 we are fine on offense it is defense that is hurting us with the 3 pfs - i love how smith puts the ball on the floor, he is a tough matchup for many pfs and seems to have really improved

yes we are fine on offense, it is on defense where a true center would help us, and thus, we would have to greatly reduce either love or smiths minutes, and if a guy like smiths minutes are reduced, why would we keep him? He can demand backup money, and all he would be on our team (if we draft a true center) is al, and then loves backup. why pay big money for a guy who would back up 2 people. if we had 3 PF and 1 C, there simply wouldnt be enough minutes to spread around.

its time to get realistic, although smith is great, he is bound to leave the team because Love is a better option for the future, and there simply isnt enough minutes for him.

SpeeMN
12-16-2008, 04:22 AM
Al Jeff- 36min
Love- 33min
other big men- 27min

Tblaze
12-16-2008, 09:50 AM
I think Love is the better player, but he has starting pf potential which with al jefferson on the team you guys can't give him... I think Smith is a more realistic option as a backup

howiend
12-16-2008, 10:47 AM
yes we are fine on offense, it is on defense where a true center would help us, and thus, we would have to greatly reduce either love or smiths minutes, and if a guy like smiths minutes are reduced, why would we keep him? He can demand backup money, and all he would be on our team (if we draft a true center) is al, and then loves backup. why pay big money for a guy who would back up 2 people. if we had 3 PF and 1 C, there simply wouldnt be enough minutes to spread around.

its time to get realistic, although smith is great, he is bound to leave the team because Love is a better option for the future, and there simply isnt enough minutes for him.

I agree with you purple IF we draft a true c AND the true c proves worthy of playing time. In my memory the wolves have had....um......ZERO centers worthy of much playing time in 20 years. I think we will end up seeing Love and AJ playing 32 minutes, a back-up (like Smith) playing 22, and a 4th guy (a true c) playing about 12. All I am saying is that until we get this true c and see them productive we have to keep all 3 - unless we can trade one of them for the pg or c we need.

Rumeye
12-16-2008, 02:17 PM
All you need is Love

Love is all you need

WSU Tony
12-16-2008, 02:50 PM
What are the points in the paint numbers against the wolves? Anybody know? I'm curious because it seems almost every posession a guard will beat his defender and drive in with ease for a layup. These guys don't even respect us enough to take 10-12 foot jumpers, they just drive in and lay it up.

Our defense would be so much better if we had a "presence" in the paint with long shot-blocking arms. Our defense would immediately be better, even if our guards keep getting beat.

IowaAJ
12-16-2008, 02:52 PM
I would keep all 3. Smith doesn't make that much and he just makes plays when he is on the floor. HE scores, rebounds, good passer. I really think he is part of the future here.

WSU Tony
12-16-2008, 02:54 PM
I would keep all 3. Smith doesn't make that much and he just makes plays when he is on the floor. HE scores, rebounds, good passer. I really think he is part of the future here.

I think of Smith like I think of McCants. They won't be starters, but could be exceptional backups.

boeknows
12-17-2008, 03:08 AM
I think of Smith like I think of McCants. They won't be starters, but could be exceptional backups.

I would much rather have Smith than McCants and i wouldnt put them in the same position at all. McCants is a cancer to the team if he doesnt get his shots. Smith isn't a cancer at all.

WSU Tony
12-17-2008, 11:55 AM
I would much rather have Smith than McCants and i wouldnt put them in the same position at all. McCants is a cancer to the team if he doesnt get his shots. Smith isn't a cancer at all.

They both have spots they could be used to help the team. I'm not sure if your disagreeing with me and saying they should be starters or your agreeing with me that they shouldn't. Where did I say you had to choose between them?

They both have their roles and will be helpful to to the wolves if they are used correctly. Starting either of them would not be using them correctly imo.

topdog
12-17-2008, 03:31 PM
Yeah, so since when do teams only carry 2 Pfs? I mean realistically you could have both Smith and Love coming off the bench if we draft Thabeet like most ppl seem to want (Love could handle being our C against the other teams' reserves).

We just re-upped Smith this last summer and lately, with McHale coaching it seems like Smith and Jefferson have really stepped up, but Foye and Love have really fallen off. That's not to say that after a little time Foye couldn't get back to scoring 25 a game and Love averaging 10 and 8 or so. Btw, i guess have to be the one to remind ppl that big men take time to establish their game in the league whereas scorers have the easiest transition (unless their undersized or rely solely on athleticism).

Finally, i can only wonder whether Mcants can ever get the confidence and swagger to make shots in meaningful time like he does in garbage time - it seems psychological if you ask me (look at the Lakers game after it was already decided - *swish, swish, swish*)

WSU Tony
12-17-2008, 04:19 PM
Maybe Smith, McCants and the Celtics first rounder can be traded to move up to the teens range or even higher.

boeknows
12-17-2008, 07:00 PM
They both have spots they could be used to help the team. I'm not sure if your disagreeing with me and saying they should be starters or your agreeing with me that they shouldn't. Where did I say you had to choose between them?

They both have their roles and will be helpful to to the wolves if they are used correctly. Starting either of them would not be using them correctly imo.

No i dont mean either of them should be starters. Although i would rather have Smith starting than McCants. I guess i just wouldnt keep them both as bench players. I can see Smith coming off the bench and still being happy but not with McCants. McCants i dont think will be happy ever unless he is a starter. And in my opinion McCants should never be a starter for us.

boeknows
12-17-2008, 07:02 PM
Maybe Smith, McCants and the Celtics first rounder can be traded to move up to the teens range or even higher.

McCants is a free agent after this year so if we do a trade with him in it it will have to be done before the trade deadline.

PurpleJesus
12-17-2008, 07:09 PM
Yeah, so since when do teams only carry 2 Pfs? I mean realistically you could have both Smith and Love coming off the bench if we draft Thabeet like most ppl seem to want (Love could handle being our C against the other teams' reserves).

We just re-upped Smith this last summer and lately, with McHale coaching it seems like Smith and Jefferson have really stepped up, but Foye and Love have really fallen off. That's not to say that after a little time Foye couldn't get back to scoring 25 a game and Love averaging 10 and 8 or so. Btw, i guess have to be the one to remind ppl that big men take time to establish their game in the league whereas scorers have the easiest transition (unless their undersized or rely solely on athleticism).

Finally, i can only wonder whether Mcants can ever get the confidence and swagger to make shots in meaningful time like he does in garbage time - it seems psychological if you ask me (look at the Lakers game after it was already decided - *swish, swish, swish*)

most teams only carry 2 PFs who play, then they might have a bench warmer like cardinal or something. If we were to get a center, why would we have someone like smith or love ride the bench? theres not enough minutes for four bigs especially when one big (Al) should be playing 35-40 mpg. Theres no way we re-sign both love and smith if we plan on playing one of them like 10 mpg.