PDA

View Full Version : What if the Lakers traded Kobe Bryant in the 2007 offseason?

hotpotato1092
12-15-2008, 08:42 PM
After seeing the what if the suns traded Amare Stoudemire for KG thread, I was motivated to make one for yet another huge what if from that same offseason: What if the Lakers traded Kobe Bryant to Chicago, Phoenix, Boston or Dallas? Here's my take:

Chicago: What the Bulls would give up: Luol Deng, Tyrus Thomas, Ben Wallace and a 2009 first round pick. Would the Bulls be able to compete With Kobe, Ben Gordon, Kirk Hinrich and Joakim Noah? Probably not. Kobe would have been miserable there while he watched KG win the title he wanted. They may have made the playoffs, but they couldn't beat Detroit or Boston. The Lakers, in no rush to compete, never make the Pau Gasol trade and Gasol is later traded to Phoenix for Shawn Marion and the Hawks unprotected 2008 first round pick. Phoenix goes on to win the western conference and take Boston to 6 games before falling to the big three. After Phoenix gets Gasol, Dallas panics and trades for Jason Kidd, and with phoenix no longer needing Shaq he is traded to Detroit for Rasheed Wallace and Antonio Mcdyess (who resigns after 30 days) in Joe Dumars quest to shake up his team. Mitch Kupchack is fired in the offseason for failing to get a superstar in return for the league's best player, and Jerry Buss manages to bring Donnie Walsh to L.A before the Knicks have a chance. Without a contender to coach, Phil Jackson retires and the Lakers hire Boston Assistant Tom Thibadeau. With Walsh shrewdly building for 2010 by allowing Lamar Odom to walk and keeping cap room to attract stars to play with Bynum and Deng, the future looks bright in L.A, not so much in Chicago, especially without Derrick Rose.

Dallas Mavericks: What Dallas gives up: Dirk Nowitzki, Desagana Diop and first round picks in 2008 and 2010. With a nucleus of Devin Harris, Kobe and Josh Howard the mavs are able to score at will from the perimeter, and with the emergence of Brandon Bass they have a decent post option to pair with Erick Dampier. With Stackhouse, Jason Terry and the returning Keith Van Horn off the bench the mavs have one of the best teams out west. The Lakers meanwhile, desperate to compete right away with Dirk agree to trade Andrew Bynum and Lamar Odom to the Pacers for Jermaine O'neal. Phoenix deals for Gasol as in the bulls scenario, but after that things change drastically. With LeBron unhappy about his team's chances, the cavs acquire Jason Kidd from New Jersey for Zydrunas Illgauskas, Daniel Gibson, Anderson Varejao and two first round picks. Shaq gets traded to Detroit for Rasheed Wallace and Antonio Mcdyess (who again resigns in 30 days). Denver and Chicago are both desperate to improve their chances at the playoffs, agree to a three team that sends Allen Iverson to the Bulls, Ben Gordon and Ben Wallace to Sacramento and Mike Bibby, john salmons and a 2009 first round pick to Denver. The trading frenzy leave Dallas and Phoenix on top of the west, followed by New Orleans, San Antonio, Utah, Denver, Houston and L.A. Kobe and his Mavs proceed to tear their way through the first two rounds (including a 4 game sweep of Kobe's former L.A team). After a hard fought series against Phoenix, Dallas pulls through in 7 games and heads to Boston for the finals. They put forth a valient effort, but lose to Boston in 6. With the emergence of Devin Harris as a star and J.J Barea as a solid player in 2008-2009 the mavs are ready compete for the title again, the lakers strongly regret trading Bynum as Jermaine O'neal breaks down early in his second year in L.A and is never close to the same. Phil Jackson and Mitch Kupchack remain in charge, but without Kobe they simply can't compete for a title.

Boston Celtics: What Boston gives up: Paul Pierce, #5 overall pick, Wally Sczerbiack, Kendrick Perkins. Again desperate to compete with their new star, the Lakers agree to trade Andrew Bynum and Lamar Odom for Jermaine O'neal. With the Celtics now seemingly out of the picture, Minnesota is desperate to unload KG so he can compete so they agree to a three team trade: KG would go to Phoenix, Shawn Marion and Leandro Barbosa would go to Atlanta, the #3 pick, the Hawks unprotected 2008 pick (at the time considered potential top 5) and Speedy Claxton would go to Minnesota. Boston, still with assets to deal after not making the Ray Allen deal, agree to trade Delonte West, Ryan Gomes, Theo Ratliff's expiring deal (I love saying that) and an unprotected 2010 first round pick to Memphis for Pau Gasol. With Rondo, Kobe and Pau the Celtics quickly rise to the 50-55 win level. Because the Pau Gasol trade happened to an eastern conference team, the western conference never goes into blockbuster mode, but with the rise of the celtics in the east the other eastern contenders all make deals to try to catch up. Cleveland deals for Kidd and Detroit deals for Shaq, but the biggest change is that Orlando becomes desperate to keep up and trades Jameer Nelson, Tony Battie and Carlos Arroyo for Mike Bibby. Those four teams quickly become the class of the east, and after three hard fought rounds of playoffs, Cleveland emerges on top after a brutal seven game series against Boston where they simply didn't have the depth to finish LeBron and Kidd. Meanwhile in the West, James Posey and Eddie House went to play with KG in phoenix rather than Boston, as well as the suns never trading kurt thomas resulting in Phoenix having the deepest and best team in the league. The Suns tear through the western conference (including a four game round 1 sweep against Pierce's lakers) and end up winning the title in a 5 game series against Cleveland. Pierce manages to keep the Lakers afloat, but with Jermaine's constant injuries they simply can't compete with Phoenix or the other western elites. Phoenix goes on to win another title (this time against Kobe's celtics) and the Lakers descend into mediocrity.

Phoenix Suns: What the Suns give up: Shawn Marion, Leandro Barbosa, atlanta hawks unprotected 2008 first rounder. The Lakers beg Phoenix to trade them Amare Stoudemire but Steve Kerr won't budge, so they are forced to take the Marion led deal. With Marion instead and Barbosa in Kobe's place, the Lakers barely stay at .500. The Nash-Kobe-Amare lead Suns however get off to one of the fastest starts in the league, obliterating opponents with their seemingly unstoppable offense. Phoenix recognizes that they don't have the defense to beat Boston, so they deal Boris Diaw and Raja Bell for Gerald Wallace (yes I believe MJ's dumb enough to do this). With a starting 5 of Nash-Kobe-Hill-Wallace-Amare the Suns consistently build up big leads but have a hard time maintaining them with their lackluster bench. Recognizing that they aren't beating the new and improved suns the way they are, the San Antonio Spurs agree to trade Kurt Thomas's expiring deal (the suns still dealt him in this scenario because they had to take on Kobe's salary), Ime Udoka, the rights to euro players Tiago Splitter and Ian Mahinmi and two first round picks to Memphis for Pau Gasol (if they'd take the laker's deal I think they're dumb enough to take this one). The mavs again Panic and deal for Kidd, while the Pistons attempt to catch up to Boston by acquiring Shaq. Chicago and Denver are once again desperate to improve so they complete the same AI deal as in the mavs scenario. Phoenix and San Antonio have a hard fought seven game series in which Phoenix finally prevails over their arch nemesis on a 51 point explosion by Kobe Bryant in game 7. Phoenix goes on to beat Boston in 6 games and Kobe gets the the title he thought he couldn't get in L.A. Meanwhile With Marion's contract coming off the books and Bynum emerging, the Lakers suddenly have a bright future with Bynum and Barbosa to build around and the cap room to get a major free agent in 2010.

This is all speculatory, some of this stuff is really far fetched and I know that, these are mearly scenarios of what could happen, not necessarily what would have happened. Any way what do you all think?

PippensBulls
12-15-2008, 08:48 PM
Phoenix would get the best deal out of them. Kobe wouldn't agree with the Dallas deal because he loses Nowitzki. He wouldn't agree with the Bulls deal because we still don't have the pieces to win a ring.

If the Lakers had traded Kobe to Boston would they still be able to acquire Allen and KG?

MoBASS
12-15-2008, 08:50 PM
That is a pretty extensive post.

x_notorious
12-15-2008, 08:52 PM
1. The only reason why we didn't see Kobe to the Bulls was because it was well known that Kobe WANTED to play with Deng. That couldn't happen because the Lakers wanted Deng.

2. With Dirk involved in that trade, Kobe wouldn't want a piece of it. (No Kidd yet, and Harris is still developing)

3. No way that Suns deal happen.

A. Completely 1 sided deal
B. The Suns and the Lakers are in the same division.

This was the hardest deal ever, that's why it didn't go down. Kobe full NTC made things much harder. Kobe wanted to contend immediately and the Lakers wanted good value in return. No way each side gets what it wants because of that.

superkegger
12-15-2008, 08:55 PM
I don't really think Kobe ever was going to get traded, and I think he knew that. As much as I like Kobe, hes kind of an attention whore, things needed to be about him, and they were. The Lakers management made a good faith effort to look like they were publicly doing what Kobe wanted, but they were never going to move him.

Testaverde16
12-15-2008, 09:19 PM
None of those deals could have happened... no deal could have happened..... that was kind the whole result of Kobe potentially being traded...... Kobe wanted a better team but realized that there were no better situations out there for him....

JordansBulls
12-15-2008, 09:25 PM
1. The only reason why we didn't see Kobe to the Bulls was because it was well known that Kobe WANTED to play with Deng. That couldn't happen because the Lakers wanted Deng.

2. With Dirk involved in that trade, Kobe wouldn't want a piece of it. (No Kidd yet, and Harris is still developing)

3. No way that Suns deal happen.

A. Completely 1 sided deal
B. The Suns and the Lakers are in the same division.

This was the hardest deal ever, that's why it didn't go down. Kobe full NTC made things much harder. Kobe wanted to contend immediately and the Lakers wanted good value in return. No way each side gets what it wants because of that.

Yeah and if the Bulls were no closer to contending then Kobe would have opted out.

Sox Appeal
12-15-2008, 11:28 PM
Things would have defiantly been different in the NBA. The Bulls may have never had the drop-off that they ended up having, (They went from a 49 win team, that was in the 2nd round of the playoffs, to being what they are now) Luol Deng may have became an All-Star like many believe he would, and the I'm sure the Bulls wouldn't have ended up drafting Derrick Rose, if they pulled the trigger on the Kobe deal.

nVicious
12-15-2008, 11:35 PM
if Lakers have traded Kobe to any team, then whole NBA is different !!

hotpotato1092
12-16-2008, 07:29 PM
I know Kobe probably wasn't getting traded, I'm just saying what if he did. These deals aren't necesarily fair, but what the lakers could have gotten. Let's just assume kobe would have accepted those deals.

Hawkeye15
12-16-2008, 07:32 PM
No deal would have happened, because the Lakers would have needed so much in return, it would have gutted the other team, and Kobe knew that wouldn't help him at all. He had his no trade clause, why would he go to a team led by Noah, and Hinrich? And LAL would never have taken the Phx deal.

JordansBulls
12-16-2008, 08:21 PM
I know Kobe probably wasn't getting traded, I'm just saying what if he did. These deals aren't necesarily fair, but what the lakers could have gotten. Let's just assume kobe would have accepted those deals.

Only if Kobe refused to play or if the Lakers started off bad would management have traded him. Since Chicago started off bad and the Lakers started off fairly well then the trade idea was quickly quashed.

hotpotato1092
12-16-2008, 09:42 PM
I know Kobe probably wasn't gonna get traded, but this is a what if thread. It's about what would have happened IF he got traded, not how unlikely it is that he was. The unlikelyness is real life, this is what if.

kingkobe
12-16-2008, 09:48 PM
Oh I know....if he got traded then on the way to his new home town the plane would have crashed and he would have died.

I am so glad he didn't get traded.

JordansBulls
12-17-2008, 12:21 AM
Oh I know....if he got traded then on the way to his new home town the plane would have crashed and he would have died.

I am so glad he didn't get traded.

:rolleyes: