PDA

View Full Version : Had the Suns been willing to trade Amare for Garnett in the summer of 2007-2008 .....

JordansBulls
12-15-2008, 05:36 PM
Had the Suns been willing to trade Amare for Garnett in the summer of 2007-2008, how much different would things have gone?

Like would the Suns had won the title last year?

Suns lineup would have been:

PG Nash
SG Bell
SF Marion
PF Garnett
C Diaw

Celtics lineup would have been:

PG Rondo
SG Allen
SF Pierce
PF Al Jefferson
C Perkins

Lakers4ItAll
12-15-2008, 05:38 PM
I think it would have been LAL and PHX in the WCF forsure and Boston deff wouldn't have even been in the Finals

homestarunner93
12-15-2008, 05:40 PM
Had the Suns been willing to trade Amare for Garnett in the summer of 2007-2008, how much different would things have gone?

Like would the Suns had won the title last year?

Suns lineup would have been:

PG Nash
SG Bell
SF Marion
PF Garnett
C Diaw

Celtics lineup would have been:

PG Rondo
SG Allen
SF Pierce
PF Al Jefferson
C Perkins

Regardless of trading for KG, Marion was still a locker room cancer who wanted the ball, and he would've gotten it the same or less with KG in Phoenix. I think it would've been really dumb for them to give up Amare, he'll be better than KG within the next two years.

unwantedplayer
12-15-2008, 05:46 PM
The Suns probably would have won the championship because Garnett would have helped their team so much with defense and intensity. I could see Garnett playing with a very quick paced Suns team. Although, if we hadnt made the KG trade, we wouldn't have won the championship because Garnett brings intensity and leadership.

Ansy
12-15-2008, 05:48 PM
I thought they were willing and Atlanta said no?

Am I remembering this wrong? I thought that because of cap reasons and because Atlanta had some sort of trade exception the trade would have been Amare to ATL, ATL's 2 lottery picks to Minny, KG to PHX?

cheetos185
12-15-2008, 05:50 PM
i don't think KG would've taken them to finals his defense got better when he came to boston

hotpotato1092
12-15-2008, 05:51 PM
you're all missing a key aspect of this deal, where would atlanta be if they had taken amare stoudemire? A deal that was actually on the table was amare to atlanta, the 3 and 11 picks to minnesota and KG to phoenix. Atlanta had a chance at Amare Stoudemire and let it slip away, where would they be with Bibby, Johnson, Smith and Amare? Anyway, what if they still made the shaq trade because Marion was still a cancer? KG and Shaq together with Nash getting them the ball? Really. What if they made the Shaq trade last year AND made the richardson deal this year, Nash-Jrich-Hill-KG-Shaq, great team. And where would minnesota be without Jefferson but with Horford and the 11th pick? I shutter to think, the Thunder would have some competition for worst team.

hotpotato1092
I thought they were willing and Atlanta said no?

Am I remembering this wrong? I thought that because of cap reasons and because Atlanta had some sort of trade exception the trade would have been Amare to ATL, ATL's 2 lottery picks to Minny, KG to PHX?

beat me to the punch

superkegger
Its impossible to tell. Diaw at C is soft for one, and would the suns be running still? or would they play half court like they are now? Even with kgs defensivemindedness, in boston he has other players who committ to D and know how to play D. Him going phoenix wouldn't have made the same impact as him to boston IMO.

cheetos185
12-15-2008, 05:52 PM
you're all missing a key aspect of this deal, where would atlanta be if they had taken amare stoudemire? A deal that was actually on the table was amare to atlanta, the 3 and 11 picks to minnesota and KG to phoenix. Atlanta had a chance at Amare Stoudemire and let it slip away, where would they be with Bibby, Johnson, Smith and Amare? Anyway, what if they still made the shaq trade because Marion was still a cancer? KG and Shaq together with Nash getting them the ball? Really. What if they made the Shaq trade last year AND made the richardson deal this year, Nash-Jrich-Hill-KG-Shaq, great team. And where would minnesota be without Jefferson but with Horford and the 11th pick? I shutter to think, the Thunder would have some competition for worst team.

than horford wouldn't be on that team

JordansBulls
12-15-2008, 06:31 PM
i don't think KG would've taken them to finals his defense got better when he came to boston

KG was already a good defender before Boston. What are you talking about?

NYMetros
12-15-2008, 06:32 PM
I never even thought about this before. The Celtics definitely wouldn't have made the finals, that's for sure. I think the Suns may have been the same team basically, maybe a little better.

JPHX
12-15-2008, 07:28 PM
i thought it was marion who we put on the trading block and had a deal in place for KG. but the celtics sucked back then and marion voiced his displeasure of going to boston. this is what started marions complaining with the FO.

cheetos185
12-15-2008, 07:40 PM
KG was already a good defender before Boston. What are you talking about?

he Became a great defender when he came to boston

Hawkeye15
12-15-2008, 07:42 PM
I think Phx would have been a finals team maybe. Depends. And Boston would have been a playoff team, but Al Jefferson is too young, and too big a dropoff in defense from KG. He will be awesome in 2-3 years though.

ramz.n
12-15-2008, 07:56 PM
if boston didnt trade for garnett, they wouldn't have won, if the suns got Garnett i think they would have been better defensivily but not good enough to win..maybe if they had nash, richardson, garnett..its a possibility

Ansy
12-15-2008, 08:15 PM
he Became a great defender when he came to boston

he was always one of the best defenders in the league.

PippensBulls
12-15-2008, 08:17 PM
IMO even if Garnett was the greatest defensive player of all time if the system wasn't meant to be a good defensive system and if he was the only defensive player on that team then they still wouldn't still be a defensive team.

Ansy
12-15-2008, 08:21 PM
You would have had Raja Bell, Marion, Garnett as three of your defenders. That's 3 great defenders on a 5-man team -- they would have been good defensively. Even on a bad system, that kind of defensive personnel would know how to get it done.

Plus, a great help defender like Garnett can help cover up the mistakes of a poor perimeter defender like Nash.

PippensBulls
12-15-2008, 08:26 PM
You would have had Raja Bell, Marion, Garnett as three of your defenders. That's 3 great defenders on a 5-man team -- they would have been good defensively. Even on a bad system, that kind of defensive personnel would know how to get it done.

Plus, a great help defender like Garnett can help cover up the mistakes of a poor perimeter defender like Nash.

Bell is overrated defensively IMO. And he has been downhill since that 7 game series against the Lakers.

And Garnett isn't really a pick and roll player IMO. He prefers to work it out in the post and do a turn around J.

Ansy
12-15-2008, 08:29 PM
He can't finish like Amare, that's for sure. He'd likely be more of a pick-and-pop player and shoot too many jumpers. Then again he's always been very consistent at hitting jumpers.

I don't think Bell is overrated. He's a very good defender. Nobody's tried to put him on the level of Bowen/Battier, but he's definitely the next tier down.

king4day
12-15-2008, 08:31 PM
Should change the title to, "had another team been willing to take Amare".
We tried straight up with Minny and in a 3 way that woulda sent him to ATL but no one wanted him. Phoenix tried to send him off for KG.

king4day
12-15-2008, 08:32 PM
I don't know that we woulda won it all though. Woulda helped if the 'defense is contageous' thing is accurate.

superkegger
12-15-2008, 08:36 PM
I don't know that we woulda won it all though. Woulda helped if the 'defense is contageous' thing is accurate.

It is to a point, but I don't think its really arguable that the suns didn't play defense, nor did they ever really try to hard to play better defense. I really don't think plugging KG in there over Amare makes the difference, especially since KG would have been playing C like amare was. People tend to forget that.

thephoenixson28
12-15-2008, 08:59 PM
i thought it was marion who we put on the trading block and had a deal in place for KG. but the celtics sucked back then and marion voiced his displeasure of going to boston. this is what started marions complaining with the FO.agreed I thought marion didn't want to sign a extension that danny ainge wanted with boston that's why the deal didn't go thrue. They said that whole atlanta deal with amare was just a rumor

barreleffact
12-15-2008, 09:21 PM
No. KG got boston to commit to defense. but you have to have players capable of playing defense 1st and the suns just arent/werent.

SteveNash
12-15-2008, 09:35 PM
Suns wouldn't have done much better.

KG can't be a team leader, Phoenix would need a Paul Pierce type player to win anything important last year.