PDA

View Full Version : Reggie Theus Fired

mikedesi1004
12-15-2008, 02:31 PM
Reggie Theus has been fired as coach of the Sacramento Kings, according to NBA coaching sources.

Assistant coach Kenny Natt will be elevated to interim coach, sources said.

Marc Stein covers the NBA for ESPN.com

oldenpolynice
12-15-2008, 02:33 PM
Adios Reggie. You served us well.

Link:

http://davissportsdeli.com/wordpress/2008/12/15/adios-reggie-theus/

superkegger
12-15-2008, 02:34 PM
Source: Yahoo!Sports (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AltflJSsNgBNKzTXCTvTHjq8vLYF?slug=ys-theusfired121608&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)

The Sacramento Kings fired coach Reggie Theus on Monday morning, a league source told Yahoo! Sports.

Assistant coach Kenny Natt was named the interim coach.

The Kings are believed to be intrigued with bringing former Kings coach Eddie Jordan back to Sacramento, but it’s most likely they’ll wait until the end of the season to pursue him. The Kings had lost nine of 10 games and are in last place in the Pacific Division at 6-18.

DerekRE_3
12-15-2008, 02:36 PM
Not a smart move. Here's a link.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3770825

EDIT: I guess other people beat me to adding a link.

LA_Raiders
12-15-2008, 02:37 PM
Stupid, All teams are firing their coaches, WTF are they thinking? Do they thing they were going to win this season???

superkegger
12-15-2008, 02:38 PM
I guess its not all that surprising. They were underachieving IMO, but I thought he had them going in the right direction. :shrug:

that leaves Dunleavy on the hot seat now.

DerekRE_3
12-15-2008, 02:39 PM
What did the Maloofs expect? The Kings overachieved last year, traded their best player for an expiring contract, a prospect that isn't ready to contribute, and a 2009 1st round pick. Kevin Martin has been hurt most the year, Miller missed time, Garcia (our 6th man) missed time.

The Maloofs impatience and unrealistic expectations are really starting to bug me. They are too involved with the team and need to let Petrie run the basketball operations. Theus was the right coach to coach this young team, they could have both developed at the same time, it would have been fun to watch.

I really like Reggie, I hope he has success somewhere else. I think he can be a good coach in the league, he just didn't have any talent.

oldenpolynice
12-15-2008, 02:47 PM
They should have let Reggie finish out the year. Kenny Natt's going to do better? The league trend of putting coaches on the chopping block is the main reason for this firing I think.

I hope they get Eddie Jordan back. Better to get him before the end of the season. But if it's at the beginning of next year I won't complain.

MooseWithFleas
12-15-2008, 02:49 PM
Dun dun dun... another one bites the dust.

NYKnickFanatic
12-15-2008, 02:50 PM
WOW. Its amazing how many coaches are getting fired.
I honestly believe a few of them didnt deserve it. :pity:

oldenpolynice
12-15-2008, 02:58 PM
WOW. Its amazing how many coaches are getting fired.
I honestly believe a few of them didnt deserve it. :pity:

Agreed. Theus, Cheeks, Jordan all should still have jobs.

superkegger
12-15-2008, 03:25 PM
Does the trend continue though? or was theus the last casualty?

DerekRE_3
12-15-2008, 03:29 PM

Wouldn't be surprised if the Suns fired Porter.
Clippers could fire Dunleavy as well.

oldenpolynice
12-15-2008, 03:32 PM

Things are getting desperate in Phoenix. If JRich doesn't take them to a better place, Porter is in a very hot seat.

I think Dunleavy has cause to be fired in L.A. He hasn't put together a system yet that emphasizes Baron Davis' strengths. But he's the GM and the head coach. So it's unlikely that he gets what should be coming to him.

Another dark horse candidate to be fired is V. Del Nego in Chi. But he's new and the team doesn't have high expectations. So he'll probably make it through the year.

I think at least one more coach will be fired before the year is done.

unwantedplayer
12-15-2008, 03:46 PM
You might as well fire all the other coaches because they won't be better than Theus, I guarantee.

oldenpolynice
12-15-2008, 03:56 PM
You might as well fire all the other coaches because they won't be better than Theus, I guarantee.

The assistants? Yeah, I agree. None will be better than Theus.

bartlett2266
12-15-2008, 03:59 PM
Well i guess its back to Hang Time for him anything anderson was quite the threat for outside the perimeter
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=meD8-BGc6oY&feature=related

MiamiHeat
12-15-2008, 04:06 PM
whos next?
:ohno:

superkegger
12-15-2008, 04:24 PM
Wouldn't be surprised if the Suns fired Porter.
Clippers could fire Dunleavy as well.

I think Porter could be under fire, but he's Steve Kerr's guy, so I think he'll stick with him for the season at the very least.

Dunleavy though, IMO, hes a goner.

Sixerlover
12-15-2008, 04:26 PM
Getting fired left and right.

It's been a crazy year and hey aren't even halfway through it yet.

Yogi
12-15-2008, 04:32 PM
Sucks to be him.

superkegger
12-15-2008, 04:40 PM
I'm sure he'll resurface somewhere, and I'm sure he'll be a headcoach again. I don't think he did a bad job, he just didn't have a talented team. He'll be a head coach in this league again, I have no doubts.

DerekRE_3
12-15-2008, 04:43 PM
If not in the NBA, then the college game, where he may be better suited. With his personality he would be a great recruiter. In two years he got New Mexico State back to the NCAA tourney. I also think college players would respond a lot better to him.

superkegger
12-15-2008, 04:48 PM
If not in the NBA, then the college game, where he may be better suited. With his personality he would be a great recruiter. In two years he got New Mexico State back to the NCAA tourney. I also think college players would respond a lot better to him.

New Mexico State, isn't that where Danny Granger went to school?

RocketsRule
12-15-2008, 05:16 PM
Rumor is they want Eddie Jordon back in Sac-Town...

Anyway, couldn't disagree more with this firing. They weren't winning as much as Petrie might like, but that's what happens when you are rebuilding. He was developing the young talent fairly well though, which is what he was brought in to do.

Lakersfan2483
12-15-2008, 05:38 PM
The coaches are being fired unjustly in the NBA. Theus is a good coach and had his team competing every night. Sacramento needs better players to win, not another coach. This firing was a joke in my opinion...

DerekRE_3
12-15-2008, 05:46 PM
New Mexico State, isn't that where Danny Granger went to school?

Granger went to New Mexico. And I just double checked and Theus spent two years at New Mexico State, and brought them back to the NCAA Tournament. I think Reggie should try to get back into college coaching, I think he will have more success with that.

Catfish1314
12-15-2008, 05:49 PM
I thought a win over the Lakers alone would save his job for at least another 2 weeks. You know the Maloofs loved that.

Anyway, this firing is ridiculous. Theus has done nothing but good for the Kings since he's been here. He was a little more outspoken and not as politically correct as some coaches on occassion, but those were both very mild situations.

Track Record:
-38-44 in the tightest ever Western Conference race (as far as I know)
-He did this with Artest and Martin missing nearly 50 games combined
-Bibby was out for almost the whole season (traded shortly after he returned)
-He resurrected Brad Miller's career just by sitting down and talking to the pothead
-And most importantly, 2-4 against the Maloof-hated, clearly superior Los Angeles Lakers

Eddie Jordan's my preference but I can't really see him as the head coach of a championship team, which is what we want. He's the closest thing to Rick Adelman the current coach market, or the NBA period has to offer. Offensive wizard, but not the defensive coach I'd like to see on the bench ala Tom Thibadeau.

superkegger
12-15-2008, 05:57 PM
Granger went to New Mexico. And I just double checked and Theus spent two years at New Mexico State, and brought them back to the NCAA Tournament. I think Reggie should try to get back into college coaching, I think he will have more success with that.

New Mexico and New Mexico State, who knew they needed two colleges in New Mexico. :shrug:

DerekRE_3
12-15-2008, 06:08 PM
New Mexico and New Mexico State, who knew they needed two colleges in New Mexico. :shrug:

Not sure if there enough people in the state to fill up both of those schools.

oldenpolynice
12-15-2008, 06:10 PM

Should be a ton of colleges knocking on Theus' door in the near future. He was highly coveted in the offseason of '07 (when he decided to move up to the pro level). What he did at NM State was amazing and I'm sure he could do it again at another school. He's a good recruiter, leader and teacher. You're right. He's perfectly suited for college.

Randy West
12-15-2008, 06:14 PM
This was a bad firing imo

Young team young coach let them grow together and see what happens. I think as soon as Jordan was fired in Washington the McGoof's got chubbies in their speedo's

They wanted a Adleman clone........now they can go get one.

The Kings are still paying Mussleman and now Theus.......great way to get value for the dollar there

TheBatchelor213
12-15-2008, 08:48 PM
stupid move, he was solid last season and really what were they expecting this season? come on.

BullsNumber1Fan
12-15-2008, 08:57 PM
Things are getting desperate in Phoenix. If JRich doesn't take them to a better place, Porter is in a very hot seat.

I think Dunleavy has cause to be fired in L.A. He hasn't put together a system yet that emphasizes Baron Davis' strengths. But he's the GM and the head coach. So it's unlikely that he gets what should be coming to him.

Another dark horse candidate to be fired is V. Del Nego in Chi. But he's new and the team doesn't have high expectations. So he'll probably make it through the year.

I think at least one more coach will be fired before the year is done.

:confused:How do you see that? We are 11-12 and have got off to one of the best starts since the Jordan Era ended. NOBODY expected the Bulls to be at 11-12 with a new coach and a rookie PG! I MEAN NOBODY! So please explain to me how he is a dark horse?

sacgiants1213
12-15-2008, 10:26 PM
this firing makes 0 sense. like i've said in the kings forum, if the maloofs think this team is so damn good why don't they just coach the team themselves.

i mean ****... reggie can only do so much, he didn't deserve this. :(