PDA

View Full Version : Dikembe Mutombo willing to play for Celtics?

#1Mavericksfan
12-15-2008, 04:29 AM
Source: Boston Globe

Once Dikembe Mutombo passes out his gifts, he hopes to return to the NBA for a final season, possibly with the Celtics.

The 7-foot-2-inch, 260-pound center said last week he hopes to sign with a team after spending Christmas with his family in Atlanta. The four-time Defensive Player of the Year said among the teams that have shown interest are Boston, San Antonio, and Miami. The former Rocket also said Houston has "not answered me." The 42-year-old, who has blocked 3,278 shots during his 17-year career, said he is in "good shape" from working out three hours a day with spinning classes, yoga, and weightlifting.

"You'll see me in the next two weeks," Mutombo said. "I will be somewhere. I really need to go back to playing. I've just got to make sure that I go to a place where I can be happy. There are about four to five teams that I've been looking at and about seven teams that have shown interest. It's up to me to make my decision."

The Celtics have the maximum 15 players and would have to waive one to make room for Mutombo. While Boston's starting center spot is solidified with Kendrick Perkins, his backups include seldom-used Patrick O'Bryant and undersized Leon Powe and Glen Davis. The Celtics have not replaced the veteran experience and length that free agent P.J. Brown brought late last season and have interest in Mutombo, but have not offered him a contract.

"The way Boston is playing right now with Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce, and Ray Allen, the team is heading in a direction toward winning another championship," Mutombo said. "It will be interesting if I made the decision to go there. It would be very good. I've been to the Finals twice with Philadelphia and New Jersey. I got close, but I walked away empty-handed. Maybe going to Boston would give me a chance to win.

"I would love to play until July and then retire after this season," added the eight-time All-Star. "My plan is to play this season. If my mind is set to play basketball, why not?".

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/articles/2008/12/14/no_need_to_jazz_up_his_record/?page=3

Highlight
12-15-2008, 04:36 AM
Wow, that would be a great pick up for Boston. Too many people look at his age and just write him off. He's still a good back up center in this league and he did wonders for Houston last season. I actually think Houston is really missing him this season.

He would be a great pick up for any of the top 3 teams in the league in Boston, Cleveland, and LA.

Would love to have him in LA. Great player and teammate. He knows his role and does it well.

Mr.Grizzly
12-15-2008, 04:49 AM
Oldie

Chronz
12-15-2008, 04:52 AM
Morey better not drop the ball on this one

UnWantedTheory
12-15-2008, 05:06 AM
San Antonio is interested? Eh...

Storch
12-15-2008, 05:20 AM
Go the the lakers or spurs!

Nighthawk
12-15-2008, 06:23 AM
Niiiiiice....We dont need his scoring we just need his defense which im sure hes still good at. Especially on a defensive minded team like the Celtics. Id like this signing.

Chronz
12-15-2008, 06:36 AM
Niiiiiice....We dont need his scoring we just need his defense which im sure hes still good at. Especially on a defensive minded team like the Celtics. Id like this signing.

I never understood the point of saying we dont need him for this, ideally wouldnt you want as much of a 2-way player as possible? Why have any sort of liability on either end, but I think I get what your trying to say, heres my question. Why would the best defensive team in the league, need more d rather than O? The room for improvement is far greater on the offensive end for the Celtics.

sp1derm00
12-15-2008, 07:04 AM
Mutumbo on the Celtics would be amazing. He would also be amazing for the Spurs.

Duncan and Mutumbo would be pretty beastly...

fredv
12-15-2008, 07:22 AM
I don't want him to play for anyone else than Houston. He said in september that he would play for a dollar if the Rockets just gave him one. Looks like Morey isn't calling him back.. Probably because he has another idea in his mind?

JordansBulls
12-15-2008, 08:56 AM
He is probably tempting the Rockets to pay him more money.

NYKnickFanatic
12-15-2008, 09:24 AM
Bring him back to NY.
We can use a shot blocker. :)

sunsalltheway03
12-15-2008, 09:37 AM
He would be a great pickup for any team. Dikembe, although not a young player, definitely still can help a team with his veteran leadership, size, and experience. Would be a solid addition for the Celtics.

DenButsu
12-15-2008, 09:56 AM
There would be a measure of poetic justice to him going back to Denver and helping Karl get the Nuggets past the first round. :cool:

JordansBulls
12-15-2008, 10:33 AM
If the Spurs got him then they will be on par with the Lakers.

PippensBulls
12-15-2008, 10:57 AM
He better not go anywhere. Rockets just take him please.

Frrrrank!!!
12-15-2008, 11:26 AM
I would love to see the finger wag in Beantown! That would be a great pickup.

Nighthawk
12-15-2008, 12:57 PM
I never understood the point of saying we dont need him for this, ideally wouldnt you want as much of a 2-way player as possible? Why have any sort of liability on either end, but I think I get what your trying to say, heres my question. Why would the best defensive team in the league, need more d rather than O? The room for improvement is far greater on the offensive end for the Celtics.

Ummm wow dude

Mutumbo is no spring chicken. We wouldnt be given him looks in the low post. We have enough scoring. Ray is absolutely tearing it up right now not to mention two guys names Garnett and Pierce. Powe and Allen have been a pleasant surprise off the bench. DEFENSE is what wins games. If we can have a legit 7 fotter come in backin up perk who is all about defense ill take it.

Frrrrank!!!
12-15-2008, 01:13 PM
Ummm wow dude

Mutumbo is no spring chicken. We wouldnt be given him looks in the low post. We have enough scoring. Ray is absolutely tearing it up right now not to mention two guys names Garnett and Pierce. Powe and Allen have been a pleasant surprise off the bench. DEFENSE is what wins games. If we can have a legit 7 fotter come in backin up perk who is all about defense ill take it.

yea, you can never have enough 7 foot shot blockers.

Sport
12-15-2008, 01:24 PM
Hmmmm defending champions, best team in the NBA, Kevin Garnet, Paul Pierce, and Ray Allen.

Who wouldnt want to play for the Celtics, really?

LA_Raiders
12-15-2008, 01:41 PM
It will be a great pick for Miami, He can even start there.....

nygiants242
12-15-2008, 01:43 PM
Yeah, why not Miami? I love Mutombo he should actually go to the Lakers

superkegger
12-15-2008, 02:00 PM

I agree with this.

There would be a measure of poetic justice to him going back to Denver and helping Karl get the Nuggets past the first round. :cool:

It would be kinda cool to see that. Don't think it will, but I wouldn't be opposed.

If the Spurs got him then they will be on par with the Lakers.

I don't know that they aren't already. But if they aren't, I don't think Mutumbo makes that big of a difference.

yea, you can never have enough 7 foot shot blockers.

Well, in fact you can. If the celtics bench was all 7 foot shot blockers, that would be too many. :p

Yeah, why not Miami? I love Mutombo he should actually go to the Lakers

Why would Mutumbo go to Miami? To possibly not make the playoffs? No, he's going to the Rockets, or to the other elite teams that are inquiring about him.

LA_Raiders
12-15-2008, 02:35 PM
**** it lets bring him to LA, our back C are sorry anyway...

JJ81
12-15-2008, 04:17 PM
I can't believe teams are fighting over signing a 60 year old

fredv
12-15-2008, 04:49 PM
Are we talking about Dikembe Mutombo Mpolondo Mukamba Jean-Jacques wa Mutombo ?

Lakersfan2483
12-15-2008, 05:16 PM
Mutombo would be a factor on any team he signs with. I would like to see him in lakers uniform.