PDA

View Full Version : Ilgauskas Won't Opt Out

Sox Appeal
12-14-2008, 08:53 PM
Source: http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2008/12/hey_brian_brian_windhorst_answ_3.html

Hey, Brian: Granted Zydrunas Ilgauskas is loyal, but based on his play, why wouldn't he decline his option for next year and sign a multi-year deal, particularly if he decides he wants to play longer? If he only picks up his option, is it an indication he might retire after next year or that he will take it year by year? -- David Jelkovac, Ridgefield, Conn.

Hey, David: I asked Z about this on the first day of training camp and was surprised he instantly ruled it out. He does sound like he wants to play a few more years, but $11.5 million next season is a lot to leave on the table. He's made a lot of money, I don't think he's after the last dime.

Hey, Brian: Do you think Mo Williams will break Mark Price's free-throw shooting team record? -- Dennis Stallworth, Cleveland.

Hey, Dennis: Great question, it could be interesting to watch. Price set an extremely high standard, shooting .948 in 1992-93 and .947 in '91-'92. Williams' free throw consistency has been remarkable during his career, he's hit exactly 85 for the last four seasons. He's had a great start at 95 percent, but would have shoot well ahead of his career pace to get there.

Hey, Brian: When the Cavs have a back-to-back, say home and then away, do the players have to go straight from the game to the airport and then to the opposing city? Wouldn't it make more sense for the players to get a good night's sleep at home and then just travel the next morning? -- Jeff Smith, Parma

Hey, Jeff: Most of the time the Cavs are in the air by 11:30 or midnight and to their next destination by 1-1:30 a.m., because the travel takes a shorter amount of time than for teams in the West. So they can usually get rest. The reason is an old NBA rule that requires teams to travel as soon as possible, which in the old days meant 6 a.m. commercial flights. Traveling at night is easier and shorter because there is much less traffic.

Hey, Brian: Do you have any feeling on the Cavs' ability to sign Andy Varejao to a new contract after this season? In your opinion, should the Cavs keep Andy this year and keep the team chemistry intact or trade him before the deadline? -- Jim Koewler, Richfield

Hey, Jim: Right now I don't think the Cavs have a desire to trade Andy. However, I do not think it is 100 percent certain he will opt out. It's probable, but considering the state of the economy and how many teams are clearing cap space for 2010, it might not be a bad idea to be a free agent then.