PDA

View Full Version : Would this work out for the Patriots?

redsox1520
12-14-2008, 01:14 PM
Would this work out for the Patriots?
They franchise Cassel, and trade him for a first round draft pick.
If Cassel does really well over the rest of the season, we might be able to get a 1st and 3rd.

We could trade him to the Vikings, or another team that needs a QB.

futureheisman
12-14-2008, 01:50 PM
possibly. The Vikings may not make the playoffs and we could have 2 top 25 picks keep them and draft a LB and a guy like Greg Hardy

dbabine6679
12-14-2008, 03:27 PM
Good thought but no, There is no way the NFLPA would let this happen.

KingJamsI
12-14-2008, 03:56 PM
its not really an original thought, but sure it could work out. Technically franchise and trade is banned but there is really no protocol for preventing it, unless the league can prove intent. If the Pats franchise him under the assumption that they are unsure of Brady's health, and then a team makes them an offer they cant refuse, there would be nothing illegal about that. Don't count on it happening, though, unless they have a trade partner secretly lined up because i doubt BB wants 14 mil tied up on Cassel that he cant spend on free agents.

The Intimidator
12-14-2008, 05:10 PM
possibly. The Vikings may not make the playoffs and we could have 2 top 25 picks keep them and draft a LB and a guy like Greg Hardy

The Vikings are leading their division as of right now, so I'm not sure about that prediction.

griff141
12-15-2008, 11:13 AM
This wouldn't happen for 2 big reasons:

1. The NFL Players Association would never allow it if it is done deliberately.

2. The Pats would need roughly 14 million in cap space just to franchise Cassel, BB will absolutely not have 2 QB's making 8 figures.

Ewagner
12-15-2008, 12:13 PM
like someone mentioned it would be difficult for the league to prove. second i don't think the pats are going after any top tier free agents so the money is not really a factor especially if they are going to move him anyways. the biggest issue is with cassel's agent. i can't imagine cassel's agent isn't going to make a stink about them trying this.