PDA

View Full Version : The Brandon Bass appreciation thread

arlubas
12-14-2008, 09:41 AM
Anyone else think this guy would've been starting if he was on another team that didn't have a legit superstar in the PF spot? Because let's face it, if you got Dirk on your roster no one else is starting at the 4 no matter how good you are. But Brandon has been showing some pretty good flashes of his talent coming off the bench for the mavs and has been their spark off the bench the last couple of years. I honestly believe he could've been a great piece on a rebuilding team and would be able to put up numbers like an 18/8 for example if he was receiving starter's minutes of course.

unwantedplayer
12-14-2008, 10:27 AM
No, I don't think so. Just because a player gets starter minutes doesn't mean they will put up good numbers every night. I think he is better off as a bench player. Although he could use some more minutes.

Sevilla91
12-14-2008, 10:33 AM
i think bass plays just as good as udonis haslem but much more athletic. Bass is a great energy guy who has a fantastic mid range jumper. Great rebounder and just an overall hard player who any team would love to have. Dalla def. got a steal by signing him a few years back.

arlubas
12-14-2008, 03:10 PM
No one else got love for Bass? :pity:

kvrnm
12-14-2008, 03:14 PM
what do you mean when you say, no one will start over dirk no matter how good you are?

Hawkeye15
12-14-2008, 03:15 PM
I like his game. I think he would be a 15/7 player as a starter. He reminds me of Craig Smith, but a little bit better range, not as good of a ball handler. Bass, Smith, Millisap, and Maxiell all are players who I really like, and are very similar. They could all start for average teams, but a contender has them off the bench for 19 mpg

Hawkeye15
12-14-2008, 03:16 PM
what do you mean when you say, no one will start over dirk no matter how good you are?

well, there are only a couple of guys in the NBA that would push Dirk for that spot in the lineup. And all that would happen is Dirk would move to the 3, and Howard would start at 2. But unless Amare, KG, Duncan, Jefferson, Boozer, examples, come to town, he is their PF

JJ81
12-14-2008, 03:40 PM
The bench role suits him well

thedfactor
12-14-2008, 03:53 PM
well, there are only a couple of guys in the NBA that would push Dirk for that spot in the lineup. And all that would happen is Dirk would move to the 3, and Howard would start at 2. But unless Amare, KG, Duncan, Jefferson, Boozer, examples, come to town, he is their PF
Duncan, the only one I would rather start at PF before Dirk. KG maybe but he's just more crazy intense besides that Dirk is much more unguardable and better offensively. The others don't challenge my decision.

shatty
12-14-2008, 04:08 PM
ya ur right, he has allstar potencial

Spurred1
12-14-2008, 05:50 PM
I appreciate what he does for the team, but I think for right now he's better off contributing as a bench player. He can be inconsistent at times but he should receive more minutes to develop. If he could flourish, it would make things easier for Dirk.

Chronz
12-15-2008, 03:47 AM
Ironically, its the lack of frontcourt depth that kills the Hornets when they couldve had this guy all along. Has anyone noticed how good Cuban is at finding hidden gems that teams gave up on way too early (Diop/Bass).

Yea hes a damn good, selfmade ball player. He put in alot of work in a short amount of time to be where hes at, I hope he gets the payout he deserves, always have love (no homo) for guys who improve their skill set immensely from one year to the next.

Highlight
12-15-2008, 03:54 AM
No one else got love for Bass? :pity:

I honestly think Bass is a pretty damn good player. He has an amazing skill set. I love how he turns, faces up, and just drops that mid-range jumper in his opponents face. He's a very well rounded player with great fundamentals.

He's one hell of a player and I think if Dallas were to go through what Utah has been going through with Boozer, Bass would play similar to Millsap. I feel they are both great players that could start on many teams.

blackjack_119
12-15-2008, 04:34 AM
I really like Bass' game. Great rebounder. An absolute beast. He is exactly what you are looking for in a backup PF. I don't see him starting though. There is the chance that he could do what Millsap is doing right now in Utah (I actually think they are really similar) but I think he takes advantage of backups not prepared to deal with his physicality. Against starters, he wouldn't have that edge.

Chronz
12-15-2008, 05:38 AM
I really like Bass' game. Great rebounder. An absolute beast. He is exactly what you are looking for in a backup PF. I don't see him starting though. There is the chance that he could do what Millsap is doing right now in Utah (I actually think they are really similar) but I think he takes advantage of backups not prepared to deal with his physicality. Against starters, he wouldn't have that edge.

Its the NBA, most bigmen bench players made it this far because of their physicality, if they had skill they would most likely be starting and able to contribute offensively, besides its a misconception that players tend to play better off the bench. It can go either way depending on the player but for the most part players play better when they get to start alongside superior teammates. You could be right, Im just saying either way its not like hes going to change much.

arlubas
12-15-2008, 06:02 AM
Ironically, its the lack of frontcourt depth that kills the Hornets when they couldve had this guy all along. Has anyone noticed how good Cuban is at finding hidden gems that teams gave up on way too early (Diop/Bass).

Yea hes a damn good, selfmade ball player. He put in alot of work in a short amount of time to be where hes at, I hope he gets the payout he deserves, always have love (no homo) for guys who improve their skill set immensely from one year to the next.

Yeah I'm still blown away by the Hornets' decision to let him go a couple of seasons ago and from a coach (Scott) that usually rewards hard workers.

codes238
12-15-2008, 10:02 AM

diop sucks but yea bass is really good... and i do think its funny how the hornets are gonna get knocked out in the second round this year just like last year whereas theydd have a legit shot at the championship in both years if they kept this one low-paid role-player.... the NBA really is funny sometimes...