PDA

View Full Version : Looking Back to 2002: Kings-Lakers Series

uptownfan
12-14-2008, 01:08 AM
I'm sure this has been brought up many times, but I think a very interesting documentary was made on Youtube by somebody which truly makes the NBA look pathetic, especially David Stern. It's a shame that this went on. Some ridiculous stuff in this video, you should check most of them out. Hopefully this never happens again

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhlGYvIMPgQ&feature=related

superkegger
12-14-2008, 01:12 AM
First observation: Scott Pollard should not wear a headband.

IRUAM #21
12-14-2008, 01:21 AM
Pathetic indeed

superkegger
12-14-2008, 01:28 AM
1. That first part, with the non foul that was called a foul on kobe on the fast break. Probably a bad call, but Pollard does bump his lower body, and about 9/10, in that situation a foul is called, so its not hard to see why they would call a fould there.

But Kings fans will forever be bitter about it.

I'm not saying it was good officiating by any means.

All I'm saying is bad officiating happens, I don't think the series was rigged, which is what is being implied, but officiating shaq is quite possibly the hardest thing an NBA official can do.

uptownfan
12-14-2008, 01:30 AM
If the media exposed this more I definitely think that Stern would be toast

kswissdaf
12-14-2008, 01:31 AM
that pisses me off

kswissdaf
12-14-2008, 01:33 AM
If the media exposed this more I definitely think that Stern would be toast

ur sig:no:

gauth25
12-14-2008, 01:33 AM
im a huge lakers fan but this is pretty bad..and the free throws were legit.. you can pass the line after the ball hits the rim and he clearly did after it hit

hotpotato1092
12-14-2008, 01:39 AM
the kings very easily could have won this series 6-1. Robert Horry's shot in game 4, the bad officiating in game 6 and the kings choking away game 7 all could have gone the other way while the king's three wins were all pretty convincing if memory serves. The lakers just made the big plays when they counted and got lucky with the officiating. And yes I know they wouldn't get the chance to win 6-1 but I'm saying the kings could have won 6 with some breaks and if they played all 7 no matter what.

Durant is hype
12-14-2008, 01:53 AM
****ing Crazy stuff,Epic Video.

Highlight
12-14-2008, 01:54 AM
I agree with Superkegger here. The officiating was pretty bad here and there, but I don't think anyone could consider that series rigged. That's pushing it...

Many of those calls are called in the NBA today and will be called in future games to come. That's just the way it works in the NBA. Officiating in the NBA affects games more than any other sport. They have to make more decisions than any other official in the world of sports. It's sucks at times, but that's just the way it is.

still1ballin
12-14-2008, 01:58 AM
The past is the past. Get over it. Its been 6 years already.

Jacob K.
12-14-2008, 02:03 AM
thats horrible, im not even a kings fan, nor do i even like the kings, but taht awful. how can you not call shaq for stepping over the line on his free throws?

ARMIN12NBA
12-14-2008, 02:07 AM
There is an amazing essay written about this game on 82games.com, which proves that this game was actually not a very badly called game. It shows there were actually mistakes that went both ways and proves that there was no way they could have cheated the game because there were three questionable calls that went the Kings way in the last 2 minutes! Thus proving there is no way the refs were going for the Lakers because they would not have made those questionable calls that actually helped the Kings.

Check it out people.

Durant is hype
12-14-2008, 02:12 AM
^Link?

still1ballin
12-14-2008, 02:15 AM
2002 WCF Lakers vs. Kings

FTM-A

Lakers Kings
Game 1: 16-22 16-17
Game 2: 15-25 23-38
Game 3: 8-15 21-35
Game 4: 8-27 18-26
Game 5: 17-23 22-33
Game 6: 34-40 18-25
Game 7: 27-33 16-30
Total: 125-185 134-204

http://www.nba.com/playoffs2002/west_finals.html

ARMIN12NBA
12-14-2008, 02:32 AM
^Link?

Yes at a glance you can see the Lakers got some advantage from the calls down the stretch, but if Bavetta was really trying to rig the game, would he have called a tie up jump ball at the 3:26 mark (and subsequently had a bad toss that gave the ball to the Kings) with the Kings ahead by two when he could have called a foul on Divac? Would he have called the foul on Fisher at 1:27 that helped bring the Kings back within a point with plenty of time left? Would he have called the blocking foul on Fox with 0:20 when an offensive foul would have basically sealed the game? Doubtful.

Bernhardt made no foul call on Christie's block of Kobe with the game tied at 3:56, gave Bibby a bailout call with the shot clock winding down at 2:34 with the game tied, and didn't call Webber for a foul on Shaq's basket at 0:52 which could have fouled out C-Webb and given the Lakers a look at a four point lead.

As a whole, these plays suggest to me the refs were calling the game honestly, if perhaps not well.

Link (http://82games.com/lakerskingsgame6.htm)

DODGERS&LAKERS
12-14-2008, 04:16 AM
2002 WCF Lakers vs. Kings

FTM-A

Lakers Kings
Game 1: 16-22 16-17
Game 2: 15-25 23-38
Game 3: 8-15 21-35
Game 4: 8-27 18-26
Game 5: 17-23 22-33
Game 6: 34-40 18-25
Game 7: 27-33 16-30
Total: 125-185 134-204

http://www.nba.com/playoffs2002/west_finals.html

I remember game 3. That one was officiated much worst than game 6.

And if you guys click to see the 8th part of the series, it shows the investigations findings of game 6. They went back and reviewed the tapes and said Bavetta made 9 mistakes in the game. 5 favored the Lakers and 4 favored the Kings. It reported Ted Bernhardt made 6 errors. 4 for the Lakers, 2 for the Kings and 1 that favored the Lakers in the 4th quarter. Bob Delaney made 4 errors. Two for each team. So in total, the Lakers got 3 extra call from these officials. Do I wish they got them right all the time, you bet. But its not as bad as people make it out to be. The guys that reviewed the tapes had the option of slow motion, rewind and different angles. The refs on that day did not.

BoltLakerPadre
12-14-2008, 05:01 AM
Not this again. Personally I read the findings in the Pedowitz Gambling Report, and I believed them. But obviously there will always be conspiracy theorists, and people bitter about the loss who's minds won't be changed, ever.

S.J.Basketball
12-14-2008, 05:17 AM
Wasn't there an ENTIRE INVESTIGATION centered completely around this game which was CLEARED?

This one poster shouldn't reflect Kings fans in anyway as still being bitter though, but it's about to be 2009. This changes nothing. Read the guys description: "it feels like heaven to finally deliver what I was set out to do." LoL okaayyy....

Edit: Hahaha I Watched it and it was ridiculous. This guy must have gone through a whole box of tissues making this video and playing it to this music. Hilarious.

The Answer3
12-14-2008, 05:54 PM
I don't the series was rigged but the officiating was terrible.

LeBrowns
12-14-2008, 06:36 PM
Regardless of how the series was officiated in either team's favor, the fact Shaq was never called for an infraction after stepping a foot over the foul line is ridiculous.

leftymo
12-14-2008, 07:32 PM
Regardless of how the series was officiated in either team's favor, the fact Shaq was never called for an infraction after stepping a foot over the foul line is ridiculous.

The rule wasn't enforced until a couple years later.

I won't watch the video b/c I'm sure its showing Sac King bias, but how exactly does a shaq in his prime go to the free throw line just once in game 5? And he fouled out???

Game 5 was equally rigged including giving sac the ball when it was out of bounds off webber.

Sac lost that series by blowing their FT's in game 7 at home. They have no other legitimate excuses, except themselves.

mrblisterdundee
12-14-2008, 07:55 PM
I still say we lynch David Stern and all the other profit mongers that are willing to hurt the game.

ntat
12-14-2008, 07:59 PM
1. That first part, with the non foul that was called a foul on kobe on the fast break. Probably a bad call, but Pollard does bump his lower body, and about 9/10, in that situation a foul is called, so its not hard to see why they would call a fould there.

But Kings fans will forever be bitter about it.

I'm not saying it was good officiating by any means.

All I'm saying is bad officiating happens, I don't think the series was rigged, which is what is being implied, but officiating shaq is quite possibly the hardest thing an NBA official can do.
i DONT KNOW IF IT WAS RIGGED BUT IT LOOCKS PRETTY awful. u guys shot 30 free throws in the 4th quarter. It was BS, an out right steal from the Kings.

ntat
12-14-2008, 08:02 PM
Wasn't there an ENTIRE INVESTIGATION centered completely around this game which was CLEARED?

That does not mean anything. I love how Lakers fans swear it was straight up even, its ridiculous. I have managed to put this out of my mind for years, but this brought up some skeletons guys..

ntat
12-14-2008, 08:10 PM
The rule wasn't enforced until a couple years later.

I won't watch the video b/c I'm sure its showing Sac King bias, but how exactly does a shaq in his prime go to the free throw line just once in game 5? And he fouled out???

Game 5 was equally rigged including giving sac the ball when it was out of bounds off webber.

Sac lost that series by blowing their FT's in game 7 at home. They have no other legitimate excuses, except themselves.What do u mean the rule was not enforced till a couple years ago? Its a rule. And name one player that did it 17 times in a game? I may get away with an extra half step once in a game, but if I do it near 20 times I should get called right? Stupid defense.

S.J.Basketball
12-14-2008, 11:47 PM
That does not mean anything. I love how Lakers fans swear it was straight up even, its ridiculous. I have managed to put this out of my mind for years, but this brought up some skeletons guys..

So you make a claim and don't say anything else? You say the investigation doesn't matter? LoL you're an idiot..."STRAIGHT UP!"

I didn't realize a basketball series could be so traumatic for someone. Get over it. It was what? 7 years ago? Wow. Lakers won. Kings lost. Investigation cleared it. Case closed.

Unless you can hire a P.I. to go back and do a more thorough investigation to appease whatever doubts you still may have just stfu cuz whatever you have to say means nothing. You're just another pissed off fan and that's what it comes down to. Period. get over it.

kingkobe
12-15-2008, 01:18 AM
I dont know about you guys but that music got REALLY ANNOYING after the first minute.

Terrible choice for a background music.

Lakers4ItAll
12-15-2008, 01:21 AM
By far my fav playoff series ever

superkegger
12-15-2008, 01:37 AM
I dont know about you guys but that music got REALLY ANNOYING after the first minute.

Terrible choice for a background music.

agreed, and the video quality, kinda low. Also, scott pollard, worst style in the nba, I mean spiked bleached hair is ****ing cool and all, but then you add the headband, ultra****ingcool.

on a serious note.

I'm in no way suggesting that the officiating was spectacular, but this is a biased youtube video. Want me to create a youtube video on why Kobe is better than Michael? I can, i've got spare time. It doesn't make it any more true. There was some bad officiating. Tim Donaghy was aware and of course was trying to take people down with him. It wasn't rigged, it wasn't pretty. If you're so upset by the officiating, become and official and you ref a shaq game.

Ron!n
12-15-2008, 08:29 AM
I watched game 5 believe on NBATV before yesterday and it was amazing.

I remember watching this series at the hospital and it was amazing.
By far one of the best series i've ever seen.

Too bad the Kings are nowhere near their old self.
They lost all their players, only player from that team thats still with them is Bobby Jackson.

sunsalltheway03
12-15-2008, 08:36 AM
I've always felt that this was a dirty series. Now, some things in this video are exaggerated, but there are a lot of questionable situations. This will always be one of the most controversial post seasons series in all of sprots.

nygiants242
12-15-2008, 08:42 AM
I've always felt that this was a dirty series. Now, some things in this video are exaggerated, but there are a lot of questionable situations. This will always be one of the most controversial post seasons series in all of sprots.

Yeah agreed... and this video is just showing that exact point.
Great find :clap:

JordansBulls
12-15-2008, 08:59 AM
Still can't belive Bibby got called for a foul when he got his nose busted by Kobe.

:pity:

codes238
12-15-2008, 09:46 AM
its pretty funny how the kings players protested in the first half but then in the second half they were just laughing cause i remember watching this game and just laughing too... my dad (pretty much the biggest NBA fan ever before this game) hasnt watch NBA since that day cause he's convincd stern set the whole thing up and that the league is a joke... im a realist, i understand that series was epic and needed to go 7 games, the league just thought the kings would win in the end so it didnt matter just wanting to make a bit of extra cash cause they the kings were the superior team, they didnt think that webber and peja would choke that hard in game 7 and the lakers would actually win the series... sometimes thinngs like this just happen, i mean pro sports is all about money... still its funny watching this video now cause i remember laughing pretty hard while the game was going on... and again noone knows if this was really stern or if bob delaney just pulled a Tim Donaghy and never got busted... what do you guys think? stern setting it up or delaney, bernhardt or bavetta having a gambling problem???

the thing is the only people defending this are laker fans because theyre the most bias people in the world... anyone actually watching the series knows what really happened in game 6... and please dont think im bias because as much as i love wade the refs gave the heat their championship too... its ok to admit that the league has some serious officiating problems laker fans, lets just all hope this kind of **** doesnt become a regular place occurance

sunsalltheway03
12-15-2008, 09:55 AM
Still can't belive Bibby got called for a foul when he got his nose busted by Kobe.

:pity:

Yeah, that was pretty unfair. But lets not forget about all the bad stuff thats happened to my Suns. :( .... :p