PDA

View Full Version : Sather readies offer for sundin

liltedspop
12-13-2008, 07:22 PM
Sirius NHL radio reports that the n.y. rangers will offer Sundin 2 deals-- the first will be a pro- rated 5 mill. 1 year deal & the next is a 2 year deal with a low base salary incentive laden 1 st. year & a 5 mill. doll. salary next season all indications are Sundin's first choice is to come to n.y. a deal could be struck as soon as tonight when he will be in attendance at m.s.g.

kenk17
12-13-2008, 09:00 PM
that rumor might grow legs only because why didn't he sign already with Vancouver for the 2 yrs. 20 mil they offered?? and why is it Shanny who is available and still can play hasn't signed with Philly, NJ, or Pitt?? he still has a NYC place and his kids are in the schools.. something is going to happen but Sather is biding his time in this.. everything needs to fall perfectly if anything is going happen..

unfortunately Sather has put this team in an awkward team salary situation with too many of the same type players signed.. either they have players they can't move because of too high of a contract or they have too many low salary palyers that are playing like crap and who wants them??

if we can move a few contracts and Sundin signs at least they will be more entertaining to watch..

messleetch94
12-13-2008, 09:08 PM
Sirius NHL radio reports that the n.y. rangers will offer Sundin 2 deals-- the first will be a pro- rated 5 mill. 1 year deal & the next is a 2 year deal with a low base salary incentive laden 1 st. year & a 5 mill. doll. salary next season all indications are Sundin's first choice is to come to n.y. a deal could be struck as soon as tonight when he will be in attendance at m.s.g.

Should the NHLPA decide to opt out of the current CBA, those bonuses would count against this years cap. I like the pro-rated 5 mil better. Which, excuse my math, comes out to about 2.5 or a little more this year.

messleetch94
12-13-2008, 09:09 PM
At the same time, everything depends on them moving a hefty salary. Until then, there won't be any moves

kenk17
12-13-2008, 09:13 PM
Should the NHLPA decide to opt out of the current CBA, those bonuses would count against this years cap. I like the pro-rated 5 mil better. Which, excuse my math, comes out to about 2.5 or a little more this year.

I keep forgetting about the CBA situation.. great point!! that will tremendously effect how we can move forward.. i do concur about the pro rated deal.. he still has game

messleetch94
12-13-2008, 09:16 PM
A ton of game. What is he 37? He is a first ballot HOFer. At his age, it's not about the money. He wants a Cup. If he stayed in Toronto, he would have been another one of the greatest players to never win a cup.

liltedspop
12-14-2008, 12:50 AM
No doubt he is the guy they need he will raise everyones game but getting him in under the cap is the reason he has not signed with anyone else. This week Sather has to make some moves to clear the necessary cap space to sign this guy, he is exactly what this team lacks a top line pivot to play with Zherdev & Naslund. Rozi to ottawa is a possibility after all the rangers did for J.D. over the years he owes us & he has plenty of cap space maybe st. louis will take rozi or drury i doubt the latter but you never know!!!!

theRANGEREAGLES
12-14-2008, 10:23 AM
i don't think our defence could afford to lose rosi, i'd rather have him than sudin.

messleetch94
12-14-2008, 11:36 AM
If we didn't have Staal or Girardi, I would say keep rosival. If the Rangers could score goals, this wouldn't even be a discussion. But they can't, so we need to move a salary to get a scorer.

kenk17
12-14-2008, 02:28 PM
sometimes addition by subtraction is the answer.. Rosi unfortunately needs to go.. but who the heck is going to take on his salary at what be has produced this year thus far??

theRANGEREAGLES
12-14-2008, 07:24 PM
i don't know if getting a scorer and giving up a defence man is going to help us. What if he dosen't produce and then we end up getting 4 goals scored on us a night. Maybe the problem is Tom Renny and his system.

C-Rod
12-14-2008, 11:13 PM
the Ranger's just called up Potter from the minor's...so the writing might be on the wall for Rosi....This team needs more scoring and more importantly a scoring threat....you can teach defense...you can't teach goal scoring...This is the tweaking this team needs...But what will our lines look like ???
1. Zherdev, Gomez, Naslund....
2. Drury, Sundin, Voros...
3. Callahan, Dubinsky, Korpikopski..
4. Sjostom, Betts, Orr...
Any thoughts ????? or does Gomez go to the second line ???? and Sundin on the first line ????

messleetch94
12-15-2008, 10:40 AM
They called him up because they are going to the west coast. When they are home, Hartford is a stones throw away. so thats why they are carrying 7 defensemen. The writing has always been on the wall for Rosival. I think every Ranger fan agrees that something needs to be done. Trade rosival to any takers for a late round pick. With rissmiller already in Hartford, that would put our cap space at around 6.2-6.3. Sign shanny AND Sundin to pro-rated contracts. Sundin at 5mil and Shanny at 2 mil. so you would be looking at a little more than 4 mil for both of them. which leaves you around 2mil. If avery is put on waivers, claim him on re-entry for 1/2 (1.925) Than you lines would look like this:

Naslund/Gomez/Zherdev
Drury/Sundin/Avery
Sjostrom/Dubinsky/Shanahan
Orr/Betts/Voros

Redden/Girardi
Staal/Potter
Mara/Kalinin

Healthy scratches:Prucha, Fritsche, korpi, Dawes. Lets face it, dawes is nothng more than an AHL player and Korpi is not ready yet. You can put Fritsche on the 4th line instead of Voros because i think his start to the season was a fluke.

But I'm just playing fantasy GM. who knows. If they dont take a chance on Avery, save the 1.925 and see who is on the block come March. As much as Renney has tweaked with the lines, Sather can do some tweaking of his own.

messleetch94
12-15-2008, 10:59 AM
It won't take an announcement from Mats Sundin to deduce whether the 37-year-old free-agent center still has the eyes for Broadway that The Post first reported on Aug. 17.

With the NHL holiday roster freeze going into effect on midnight Friday and lasting through midnight on Dec. 27, the RangersNew York Rangers effectively have the next few days to begin clearing cap space that would allow them to sign the former Toronto captain and get him in uniform by the end of the month.

Having traveled west yesterday with a full complement of players following the recall of seventh defenseman Corey Potter for the three-game California tour that commences here tomorrow night, the Blueshirts have until Friday to complete a trade or place players on waivers.

As mandated by Article 13.15 of the collective bargaining agreement, the roster freeze does not prohibit the addition of players.

Thus, Sundin theoretically could be signed in time for the Blueshirts' Dec. 27 match at the Garden against the DevilsNew Jersey Devils .

Deputy commissioner Bill Daly told The Post in an e-mail correspondence on Thursday that Sundin's contract would not be counted against the cap until it is registered with the NHL.

Thus, the team could without penalty reach an agreement in principle with Sundin in advance of the contract registration.

Sundin could even practice with the team prior to the contract being registered.

Sundin, who met with GM Glen Sather and selected members of the hockey department in New York this weekend, left the Garden with pals Henrik LundqvistHenrik Lundqvist , Markus Naslund and Fred Sjostrom after watching Saturday's shootout victory over the Hurricanes from a suite.

Sundin told friends money will not be the prime factor when it comes time to choose a team.
That's good news for the Rangers, who have but a mere pittance of what the Canucks - believed the lone alternative - can offer.

The Blueshirts currently have approximately $1 million of cap space. Pro-rating cap hits, the Blueshirts would need approximately $2.877M of space on Dec. 27 in order to be able to offer Sundin a full-season contract of $5M, half of Vancouver's standing bid.

Trading or waiving Petr Prucha by Friday would add approximately another $1M of space. Returning freshman Lauri Korpikoski - who has had three straight games of under 10 minutes of ice time - to the AHL Wolf Pack by Friday would add approximately another $635,000 of space.

That would give the Rangers about $2.635M of space - enough to allot Sundin around $4.25M.

Understand, the Rangers are not trading Michal Rozsival to Dallas in exchange for the right to bury Sean Avery in the minor leagues.

They are most certainly not attempting to deal Scott Gomez.

They are not trading Chris Drury, the captain with the full no-movement clause.

Unless a trading partner willing to deal for Rozsival ($5M) or Wade Redden ($6.5M with a limited no-trade clause that eliminates eight specified teams from consideration) materializes out of thin air, it appears the Rangers will have to take this piece-meal approach to clearing cap space.

And they will have to hope Sundin is willing to take a comparatively small piece of the pie in order to play Broadway.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/12152008/sports/rangers/welcome_mats_144241.htm

Well that gives me a better understanding of pro-rated contracts. Sundin is a hockey player, not a basketball player (ie: Marbury "I WANT ALL MY MONEY!"). If that was the case, he would be playing with the Sedin twins right now. Its not about the money.

B-West.Joba
12-15-2008, 06:30 PM
mats and naslund would definetly be on the same line IMO.

naslund sundin drury
dubi gomez zherdev
sjo korp callahan
voros betts orr

i like naslund/sundin, i like the second line a lot, even though dubi is a center. drury could be switched with korp or callahan. voros and sjostrom could be too. id like to see more of fristche, i think out of the prucha/dawes/korp/fristche bunch he has been the best.

t3hg00se
12-15-2008, 08:11 PM
Dubinsky as a wing is something I've toyed with before but people always shoot it down. He has the perfect build / play style for that second line, I always felt Dubinsky could be moved to wing and fill that much needed top 6 winger presence the Rangers needed.

rocowear21
12-15-2008, 10:16 PM
We need sundin, i think he would bring that force that we have to have to keep winning in this league, please make this happen, please