PDA

View Full Version : Lamar Odom Trade Idea

Lakersfan1985
12-13-2008, 04:53 PM
Okay so everyone has been talking about the possiblity of trading Lamar Odom. I for one really like lamar I think he is a good solid player, but I think he hurts the Lakers defense a lot. So, I decided to bring up this trade idea so, tell me what everyone thinks.

Lakers Trade:
Lamar Odom
Luke Walton

for Shawn Marion of the Mami Heat.

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=617~2027~510&teams=14~14~13&te=&cash=

I for one think this trade will help out both teams. It will help the Lakers defense considerably, which is what they need, and it will help Mami by getting a great passer in Luke and a excellent versitle player in Lamar Odom, who has already played with D-Wade.

b_rad23
12-13-2008, 05:38 PM
Eh. We already have plenty of forwards. How about Mihm and a 2nd rounder or something?

wwwhat
12-13-2008, 07:45 PM
Luke's contract is terrible, no one wants that.

Storch
12-13-2008, 08:41 PM
terrible trade for both teams.

Lakersfan1985
12-13-2008, 11:50 PM
terrible trade for both teams.

May I ask why you think this is a terrible trade. Sure the Lakers have lots of forwards, however right now the Lakers lack the defense toughness mentality to compete with the Boston Celtics. As much as people would like to think that Bynum is the answer to the Lakers championship title, it will not happen because Bynum is not ready to step up to the plate right now. Thatís not saying that he never will because I think he has the talent to be one of the best centers in the NBA but right now he won't bring the Lakers a championship.

That being said, I think Lamar is a terrible defender but and outstanding player none the less, and the Lakers are in desperate need of that defensive player and Marion is one of the best small forward defenders in the NBA. He does all the little things that the Lakers seem to lack in consistently.

Lakersfan1985
12-13-2008, 11:56 PM
Eh. We already have plenty of forwards. How about Mihm and a 2nd rounder or something?

There is no way the Mami Heat would give up Shawn Marion a proven All star for Chris Mihm and a 2nd rounder. If there was a way I would give up Lamar for Marion in a swap, but the Contracts dont match and the reason i threw in Luke is because his minutes have declined when he use to be a starter. He is basically a benchwarmer on a roster full of forwards. Marion would fit perfect with the Lakers and Odom would fit better with the Mami Heat plus he is going to play for a team that he use to play for and is good friends with D-Wade, not to mention Pat Riley likes him as a player.

b_rad23
12-14-2008, 12:32 AM
There is no way the Mami Heat would give up Shawn Marion a proven All star for Chris Mihm and a 2nd rounder. If there was a way I would give up Lamar for Marion in a swap, but the Contracts dont match and the reason i threw in Luke is because his minutes have declined when he use to be a starter. He is basically a benchwarmer on a roster full of forwards. Marion would fit perfect with the Lakers and Odom would fit better with the Mami Heat plus he is going to play for a team that he use to play for and is good friends with D-Wade, not to mention Pat Riley likes him as a player.

I was saying in stead of Walton. Walton and Odom would make us much worse defensively, and we would still have no good centers. Also, this trade would leave Beasley on the bench still.

Not a good trade for our defensive scheme and therefore not good for our team. The strategy is to pressure and force turnovers in order to make up for the lack of size. Doesn't make sense to me.

superkegger
12-14-2008, 03:13 AM
Riley likes Odom supposedly. A Lamar for Marion trade isn't completely ridiculous, especially considering Marion's play. Plus Odom and Wade have played well together in the past. I highly doubt it happens, but it wouldn't be a ridiculous swap for either side.

fishfan79
12-14-2008, 10:48 AM
no thank you, Marion is worth more to us then Odom by far from the aspect of his defense and abilities.

DQL
12-14-2008, 12:28 PM
Any deal not bringing the Heat a starting center is not worth looking at

DownUnder
12-14-2008, 07:01 PM
Any deal not bringing the Heat a starting center is not worth looking at

And that's fair enough too, BUT, starting centres are at a premium and not everyone is super keen on Marion. Maybe Sacramento for Miller might be an option, but beware, as you'll be getting either Thomas or Moore's bad contract back with him, and what is the life-span on an oft injured centre with drug priors. Options are scarce to say the least for centres that will give you any length of service. Odom and Mihm are at least expiring and fit your up-tempo game failry well and have a number of years left in the tank.

But as a Laker fan, I wouldn't trade Odom and Mihm for Marion anyway. If he isn't fitting in in Miami the stories of his petulance and single minded play are obviously true. Not to mention he'll want big dollar to re-sign. No thanks.

Storch
12-14-2008, 07:33 PM
May I ask why you think this is a terrible trade. Sure the Lakers have lots of forwards, however right now the Lakers lack the defense toughness mentality to compete with the Boston Celtics. As much as people would like to think that Bynum is the answer to the Lakers championship title, it will not happen because Bynum is not ready to step up to the plate right now. That’s not saying that he never will because I think he has the talent to be one of the best centers in the NBA but right now he won't bring the Lakers a championship.

That being said, I think Lamar is a terrible defender but and outstanding player none the less, and the Lakers are in desperate need of that defensive player and Marion is one of the best small forward defenders in the NBA. He does all the little things that the Lakers seem to lack in consistently.

1) Odom is the anchor of the second unit, if we do not get the same value in return, our second unit will fail.

2) marion is a good defender, but we will lose him after this season because he has a HUGE expiring contract. Lakers dont have the money to pay that many people 14+ million.

3) He's getting old

4) marion isnt that consistent in threes anymore, he used to be decent at best. (not that lamar is great, but we need consistency in the sf position).

5) marion does not provide the versatility that odom brings to the table. (not that im saying marion isnt versatile.) But, if pau or bynum gives out halfway into the season who fills the gap? not powell im sure.

6) our starting 5 would be bynum gasol bryant marion fisher. marion left the suns because he's the 3rd option. in the lakers starting 5 he will be 4th option at best. i see fisher getting more shots than marion, because fisher always gets his anyway. Marion wouldnt be happy in la.

7) marion likes to run and gun, something the starting 5 does not do much. he would fit well in the second unit! but then ariza will lose alot of minutes. no way. He can play the pf position, but then again hes in the 2nd unit and would hate it because he's self-centered.

8) he would ruin the chemistry of the lakers. he likes to get his own numbers and likes the spotlight. theres already three spotlights on the laker team and theyre focused on bryant gasol and bynum. Buss doesnt have enough money to add another spotlight for marion ;)

9) He's ugly. :p