PDA

View Full Version : Maurice Cheeks fired as Sixers coach

phlp_bj
12-13-2008, 01:12 PM
The Philadelphia 76ers fired coach Maurice Cheeks on Saturday, sources told ESPN's Stephen A. Smith. Assistant general manager Tony DiLeo will be the interim head coach for the remainder of the season, the sources said. Cheeks' deal with the 76ers, who started the season 9-14, was guaranteed through next season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3766766

The Eastern Conference standings have claimed another coach, with Philadelphia 76ers head man Maurice Cheeks joining the ever-growing list of coaches who are no longer employed.

The 2008-09 season was supposed to be a good one for the Sixers, who claimed the summer's top free agent prize in Elton Brand and then assured that their big three would be together long-term by re-signing Anre Iguodala. Unfortunately, it hasn't played out that way to date. Currently sitting at 9-14 on the season, the only thing stopping Philly from being complete buried in the standings is that so many Eastern Conference teams are struggling, as well.

Despite their poor start and their current three-game losing streak - likely to end tonight as the team takes on the Wizards - the Sixers are still just two games in the loss column behind the eighth seed in the East.

Cheeks marks the third Eastern Conference head coach to get fired this season, following in the footsteps of the Toronto Raptors' Sam Mitchell and the Washington Wizards' Eddie Jordan.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=10924

North Yorker
12-13-2008, 01:18 PM
I wouldnt necessarily put it all on him. His team cant shoot.

Ph1lly Diehard
12-13-2008, 01:36 PM
Thank.You.God!

We needed a change, our team sucked so far, i'm very happy they did this

Zefflin
12-13-2008, 01:39 PM
How do you fire a coach with a guaranteed contract?

jimbobjarree
12-13-2008, 01:41 PM
buy him out i suppose

DR.J9
12-13-2008, 01:42 PM
WOW. Mabye this will motivate us a little more

MooseWithFleas
12-13-2008, 01:47 PM
Maybe we can actually run some plays on offense now instead of just standing around

droalex
12-13-2008, 01:51 PM
Whats the most NBA coaches fired in a year?

pippsux
12-13-2008, 01:58 PM
Yeah fire the coach, when the big free agent signee (i.e. Brand) is not delivering and your second star player (Iggy)can't shoot.

Shieldsz
12-13-2008, 02:10 PM
didn't see this.. merge mine into this.

goku
12-13-2008, 02:23 PM
exactly its the players that play not the coach

Zefflin
12-13-2008, 02:28 PM
Yeah you tell em' Goku, good coaching has nothing to do with the teams overall success.

$ NyC $
12-13-2008, 02:47 PM
How do you fire a coach with a guaranteed contract?

They still have 2 pay him, but if they hired another coach they would have 2 pay both.

I don't think it was Cheeks fault, i think it was just the team getting use 2 Brand. Last year philly was a team of slashers not 3 point shooters. Now they got this big man clogging the paint 4 them, and they can't shoot 3's 2 support him. Not Cheeks' fault. Who can shoot a 3 in the starting 5??

superkegger
12-13-2008, 02:59 PM
Not really all that surprising. Philly was expected to be a legit contender, now they're just fighting for a playoff spot.

rhino17
12-13-2008, 03:02 PM
Philly doesnt really have a good team, Im not sure what exactly they were expecting

NYKnickFanatic
12-13-2008, 03:03 PM
Haha, I called it. :)

SeoulBeatz
12-13-2008, 03:06 PM
THERE IS A GOD!

sometimes you gotta put it all on the players, but having watched all of the sixers games this year, its gotta be the coaching.

the playcalling was TERRIBLE, Mo Cheeks had NO IDEA what he was doing and I'm ECSTATIC that he's gone.

I think with the right coaching, this team can gel and pull it off but until that point we're bound to struggle because we had no offensive or defensive mindset. The coaching was just BLEH the whole season.

so thank GOD

DaddyCool
12-13-2008, 03:27 PM
You can't fire the players so you fire the coach. That's how it works in the NBA. But being a Sixers fan, I can only say that it can't hurt. Mo has sucked as a coach this year, and hopefully we can find a quick replacement coach.

dre1990
12-13-2008, 03:32 PM
Bad move. hes a great choach, it was his players not him.

29$JerZ
12-13-2008, 03:54 PM
Another Coach gone. All that is left is Dunleavy.

PhillySportFan
12-13-2008, 03:55 PM
All you non Sixer fans who are saying it was the players don't know the Sixers. I will be the first to tell you we have a lot of disappointments this year but not having 1 offensive play besides the pick n roll/pop and the weave(go around the 3 point arc passing until a lane opens up) has been a problem for us. We aren't a great shooting team and we need plays to make players get easier shots instead of taking jumpers all the time. No offensive strategy, a unsuccessful defensive strategy=a bad team unless your team USA. I'd say 50% of the teams struggles are because of that.

still1ballin
12-13-2008, 04:06 PM
Another one bites the dust.

sixer04fan
12-13-2008, 04:08 PM
Maybe we can actually run some plays on offense now instead of just standing around

hahaha so true

Liney3506
12-13-2008, 06:06 PM
For those of you who don't have the "honor" of watching the Sixers on a nightly basis, really don't know the cluster**** that has occured this year. They have no identity any more.

It's a simple leadership issue. Last year, a team with less talent got further than they should have by being scrappy and running the ball. This year, a team with more talent has lost their identity by adding that low post threat they were missing.

They need a coach that knows how to run a half-court offense, and actually have plays. Mo was a fantastic coach for that running style of offense, but not for half-court.

The Answer3
12-13-2008, 06:14 PM
Not surprising. He was a poor coach who got exposed this seaon. People used the "no talent" argument last season but he had the talent this season. Dude didn't make use of it. He doesn't know how create plays, his rotations are very questionable and poor half-court sets.

_Sn1P3r_
12-13-2008, 07:11 PM
Not surprised. Now, who's next?

superkegger
12-13-2008, 07:20 PM
Dunleavy.

Lakers4ItAll
12-13-2008, 07:23 PM
This is another BS firing where the Team is at fault NOT the Coach

Lakers4ItAll
12-13-2008, 07:23 PM
forsure...

Dunleavy.

MooseWithFleas
12-13-2008, 07:29 PM

Not true. Read all the sixer fans posts. These are guys that watch the games and know whats going on. Our offense was being ran like a middle school offense where one person dibbles tries to drive, passes it off to somoene else who does same thing with the other guys on the court just standing watching.

rhino17
12-13-2008, 07:29 PM
They dont have a go to guy. Brand is not a guy that can carry a playoff team by himself and Iggy is very overrated. They need some talent

SeoulBeatz
12-13-2008, 07:39 PM

absolutely untrue.

ask ANY sixers fan

as a sixers fan i have seen EVERY GAME, and its just been terrible coaching throughout. We never ran ANY plays on offense and had NO ball movement whatsoever. And Mo Cheeks seemed to LOVE TO PLAY ZONE DEFENSE AGAINST 3 BALL Shooting teams. He was ********, and if u dont believe me look at the Sixers forums and see how many threads were linked to poor coaching. It was OBVIOUS to people who have seen the games that the COACHING was to blame, and in turn, led to poor production by the players.

Mo didnt know how to use Brand, its as simple as that, and he wasnt utilizing Iguodala and Thad Young the right way either.

I feel like with the right coaching the sixers could be a solid team, they have a good enough team too, but the poor coaching KILLED US.