PDA

View Full Version : Report: Grizzlies to sign G/F Darius Miles

phlp_bj
12-13-2008, 10:43 AM
According to the Memphis Commercial-Appeal, the Grizzlies are about to sign free-agent Darius Miles in a deal to be finalized by Sunday.
He has not played in an NBA game since 2006 because of a right knee injury and was waived by the Celtics earlier this year. Miles won’t be eligible to play for the Griz until Jan. 4 because he must serve a 10-game suspension for violating the league’s anti-drug policy. And if Antoine Walker and Marko Jaric can't get off the Grizz's bench, we see no reason to think Miles will either.

http://www.thememphisedge.com/2008/12/13/griz-adding-darius-miles/

innovator
12-13-2008, 11:30 AM
hope he gets playing time and play well, and i hope he plays atleast 10 games so the blazers cap will be garbage

blackjack_119
12-13-2008, 11:47 AM
hope he gets playing time and play well, and i hope he plays atleast 10 games so the blazers cap will be garbage

By "garbage" you mean still enough money to sign a player to a max contract?:eyebrow:

td0tsfinest
12-13-2008, 12:05 PM
he should just stick to acting. (For those who don't know, Miles starred in the movie Perfect Score, as Basketball star who needed to pass his SATs to attend college; oh the irony.)

Yogi
12-13-2008, 12:18 PM
Good for him, hope he can make an impact.

MilfHunter07
12-13-2008, 01:34 PM

That's what i'm hoping too, Because then come the Fire sale of Good YOung Talent. :clap:

MilfHunter07
12-13-2008, 01:36 PM
By "garbage" you mean still enough money to sign a player to a max contract?:eyebrow:

Would love to see portland spiltup that money to resign Roy,LA, and their stock of young talent. :laugh2: Would love to see them try.

NYMetros
12-13-2008, 01:40 PM
Interesting. The Blazers are probably pissed.

JJ81
12-13-2008, 02:01 PM
I wanna see him play.

SensandRaps
12-13-2008, 02:43 PM
i think this a move by the grizz so they can get some of portlands young talent

Giaps
12-13-2008, 03:08 PM
Yep, I hope he plays those 10 games too so he hurts their cap. Blazer fans don't want to hear that, but they are everybody's competition to sign free agents so most people are hoping for that.

superkegger
12-13-2008, 03:14 PM
Like the article says, if they want a player a with crap attitude that nobody wants, why not look to their own bench and play antoine walker?

If it purely is a move to hurt the blazers cap, thats classless.

GregOden#1
12-13-2008, 03:31 PM
Like the article says, if they want a player a with crap attitude that nobody wants, why not look to their own bench and play antoine walker?

It probably wont hurt Portland at all. Signing Miles doesn't mean his 9 mill goes back on the cap, the Blazers can still appeal and most likely it's going to go through.

Not like it matters, the 09 FA crop isn't very good, KP would more than likely just want to trade Raef's contract, it's a huge bargaining chip considering you only have to pay like 20% of it.

$ NyC $
12-13-2008, 03:32 PM
I herd he was trying out 4 the Clippers, now he's signing with Memphis?

superkegger
12-13-2008, 03:34 PM
It probably wont hurt Portland at all. Signing Miles doesn't mean his 9 mill goes back on the cap, the Blazers can still appeal and most likely it's going to go through.

Not like it matters, the 09 FA crop isn't very good, KP would more than likely just want to trade Raef's contract, it's a huge bargaining chip considering you only have to pay like 20% of it.

That's true. All I'm saying is the signing makes no sense, when they have a very malcontent tweener forward sitting on the end of their bench in Toine.

And while I'm not a blazers fan, and never will be, and don't want to see them get better, even if their appeal would go through, the signing does look like nothing more than an attempt to put his salary back on the books for Portland, and that IMO is plain classless.

mzgrizz
12-13-2008, 06:06 PM
Since when does class=NBA?
It's a business,right? Would you give up tangibles to your competitor?
It's time for Heisley/Wallace to mix it up like the rest of them.

superkegger
12-13-2008, 06:53 PM
Since when does class=NBA?
It's a business,right? Would you give up tangibles to your competitor?
It's time for Heisley/Wallace to mix it up like the rest of them.

it just makes zero sense to sign darius. unless you really believe hes what your grizz need. if you believe that, you're a fool.

mzgrizz
12-14-2008, 01:32 AM
it just makes zero sense to sign darius. unless you really believe hes what your grizz need. if you believe that, you're a fool.

HAHAHAHHAHAHHA I can honestly say I've NEVER been called a fool before! It's a first for me! I THINK what the other posters were trying to say is Darius Miles will fill a role for our team......either being a productive player or helping out in the FA competition. Thanks for the laugh:p

#1Mavericksfan
12-14-2008, 01:41 AM
I bet the Blazers were mad as hell when they heard somebody signed Miles:laugh2:

Deezy Dee 24
12-14-2008, 01:53 AM
My grizzlies stepped up and made a move.
hahahahahahaha portland sucks for you!

Sport
12-14-2008, 01:57 AM
I forgot about this guy.

Hopefully he can revitalize his career. Oh wait, he never had one.

superkegger
12-14-2008, 01:57 AM
He still has to play 10 games.

GregOden#1
12-14-2008, 01:58 AM
And before that he has to serve his ten day suspension for drug violations, and he has to get signed to a guaranteed contract.

superkegger
12-14-2008, 02:00 AM
And before that he has to serve his ten day suspension for drug violations, and he has to get signed to a guaranteed contract.

pretty much the grizz are hoping that he'll actually be good, which they'll find, hes not.

blackjack_119
12-14-2008, 02:45 AM
Would love to see portland spiltup that money to resign Roy,LA, and their stock of young talent. :laugh2: Would love to see them try.

Yup Portland has money problems :pity: Paul Allen has enough money that he could buy all 30 teams in the NBA (total value = $11.4B); give all of them away for free... and he would still be $2B richer than any current NBA owner.

If your plan for acquiring young talent is to wait until the luxury tax starts to hurt PAUL ALLEN financially... :laugh2:

mzgrizz
12-15-2008, 01:14 AM
Oh you Blazer fans and Memphis haters.......just wait and see how it plays out......and I'm sure Mr. Allen is just dying to throw away more money on his team......I thought I remembered there was some talk about Portland being the next Seattle????? And just exactly what is Oden doing for you now?

blackjack_119
12-15-2008, 01:52 AM
Oh you Blazer fans and Memphis haters.......just wait and see how it plays out......and I'm sure Mr. Allen is just dying to throw away more money on his team......I thought I remembered there was some talk about Portland being the next Seattle????? And just exactly what is Oden doing for you now?

First, a fan of a team in the hands of Chris Wallace should never argue to "just wait and see how it plays out."

Second, yes Paul Allen is dying to spend money on this team (that's why he spent $3M for a 1st Rounder this year (Batum); $6M last year for two first rounders (Rudy Fernandez + Petteri Koponen + James Jones); and $6M the year before that on two first rounders (Sergio Rodriguez and Joel Freeland)

Third, a Memphis fan arguing that the BLAZERS should be afraid of moving to Seattle? How ironic...

http://www.slamdunkcentral.com/2008/07/05/could-the-grizzlies-be-seattles-new-team/

http://blogs.thenewstribune.com/sonics/2008/03/28/grizzlies_for_sale_to_highest_bidder

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/19631-nba-in-seattle-sonics-out-grizzlies-in

As for Oden, 8 double-doubles in 19 games (only twelve of which he has started) he leads the league in RB/min (and Przybilla is second in the league.) I would say the best way to describe him is "an out of shape; 20y/o; rookie; 1 year away from being completely rehabbed from microfracture surgery... who is still the Player Efficiency equivalent to Marc Gasol." What is Conley's excuse for sucking so much?

superkegger
12-15-2008, 01:53 AM

where did you hear about portland moving? thats completely not true.

What does oden have to do with this? It's cool to bring up irrelevant topics, really brings a lot to the discussion.

superkegger
12-15-2008, 01:56 AM
First, a fan of a team in the hands of Chris Wallace should never argue to "just wait and see how it plays out."

Second, yes Paul Allen is dying to spend money on this team (that's why he spent $3M for a 1st Rounder this year (Batum); $6M last year for two first rounders (Rudy Fernandez + Petteri Koponen + James Jones); and $6M the year before that on two first rounders (Sergio Rodriguez and Joel Freeland)

Third, a Memphis fan arguing that the BLAZERS should be afraid of moving to Seattle? How ironic...

http://www.slamdunkcentral.com/2008/07/05/could-the-grizzlies-be-seattles-new-team/

http://blogs.thenewstribune.com/sonics/2008/03/28/grizzlies_for_sale_to_highest_bidder

As for Oden, 8 double-doubles in 19 games (only twelve of which he has started) he leads the league in RB/min (and Przybilla is second in the league.) I would say the best way to describe him is "an out of shape; 20y/o; rookie; 1 year away from being completely rehabbed from microfracture surgery... who is still the Player Efficiency equivalent to Marc Gasol." What is Conley's excuse for sucking so much?

While it wasn't worth the time to diss this chick, and show her up...

Well done.

I Am Awesome-O
12-15-2008, 02:19 AM

Ok Portland isn't going to Seattle, that's for sure. But Memphis is not going anywhere either for at least 10 years, probably never. They just built a brilliant new arena that cost hundreds of millions of dollars, and relocating would cost any owner a hundred million dollars just to pay off the lease to the FedEx Forum. Add that to the enormous cost of relocating as it is, and to the fact that most teams aren't profitable at all, and you will realize that this team will be in Memphis for a long time.

When the lease is up in 10 years, this team will probably be contending for championships and the arena will be sold out every single game. Would the owner, whoever that might be, just pack up and leave when all of that is going on? Of course not. Would Peter Holt move the Spurs out of San Antonio just because it is a small market, even though they have sell outs every game? Of course not. Just thought I would clear that up.

mzgrizz
12-16-2008, 12:31 AM
While it wasn't worth the time to diss this chick, and show her up...

Well done.

Oh I am so sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings in Portland;Oregon, or Blazer fans.
I feel properly "dissed", as was said. Thanks for taking the time to explain it all so completely.:o

superkegger
12-16-2008, 12:41 AM
Oh I am so sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings in Portland;Oregon, or Blazer fans.
I feel properly "dissed", as was said. Thanks for taking the time to explain it all so completely.:o

I'm not from Portland nor am I Blazers fan, I'm just not a fan of ignorance.

mzgrizz
12-16-2008, 12:51 AM
Or a fan of courtesy. Waste of my time.

superkegger
12-16-2008, 12:52 AM
Nope, not a fan of courtesy either. I'm a dick, always have been and always will be.

Sox Appeal
12-16-2008, 02:15 AM

I wouldn't say the only reason the Grizzlies decided to sign Miles was to hurt the Blazers cap. He (Miles) is still relatively young, and with the way he played in the preseason, I think he was defiantly worth taking a flier on. Worth scenario for the Grizzlies would be that he doesn't work out, and they end up releasing him.

Personally, I like this move from the Grizzlies perspective.

Gro_Da_Fro_Back
12-16-2008, 02:20 AM
This is about as exciting as funerals.

StraightBallin
12-16-2008, 02:33 AM
Good for Darius. I was hoping he would be playing for the Celtics but, there just wasn't a roster spot available. I would love to see him get back to his old self.

Hellcrooner
12-16-2008, 04:25 AM
1st is a Bussiness wise move by Memphis, Clasless but its also classless to start a war in the middle east just to favour your own familys Oil COmpany.

2 I dont like the harsh Male Cahuvinism against MZ grizz, she is always polite in his posts, it wasnt needed.

2 allen may have all the money in the world but he is not going to be able to resign everybody on teh roster, not beacuse of Money but because of Egos, Roy and Rudy are already starting to ahve their feud.... watch any blazers game you can on tv, and watch how Roy IGNORES completely Rudy and does not pass him the ball EVER.

Also, they are not feeding Oden Enough, Bayless is seeing no PT; Outlow already moaned about his pt, in the preseason and he didnt even know how good Batum Was, websters has run out of a place in the rotation even if he comes back.

basically they have 12 youngsters that ALL of them could develop in Solid starters and some of them allstars and score anything between 15 to 20 points a game somwhere else and win thre or four more times the money in ENDORSEMENTS if they are second or third or First options in a team that if they resign even for the max with portland and have to either split their minutes in 20 minute doses or have to agree to tarnish their career becoming 15 mpg reserves for players that are not that much better ( if better at all) than they are.

Roy, Oden , Aldrige all of them can be THE MAN, THE FRANCHISE on a team, ok one thing is settlign to be the second man but im damm sure NONE of them is going to be happy to be the Third Banana....

Rudy, Webster, Bayless, they can be second man or third man in a team, why in hell woudl they settle to be role starters or WORST 6th seventh man???

Sergio, Outlow, Frye,DIogu, they can develop into starters somehwere else, why should they settle to be Trash time players?

COme on be realistic.

Does nobody remember HInrihc, Gordon, Chandler, Curry, Crawford and Artest all in the SAME team? where are they now????

Or Miller, Miles, MAggette, Odom, Brand in the same team... where are they now????

mzgrizz
12-17-2008, 01:31 AM
[QUOTE=Hellcrooner;7681875]

2 I dont like the harsh Male Cahuvinism against MZ grizz, she is always polite in his posts, it wasnt needed.

Thanks for the post, Hellcrooner. I am a big girl and could care squat for rude posters. Abraham Lincoln once said "It is better to remain silent and thought a fool, rather than to speak up and remove all doubt". Wonderfully appropriate quote! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

blackjack_119
12-17-2008, 04:34 AM
1st is a Bussiness wise move by Memphis, Clasless but its also classless to start a war in the middle east just to favour your own familys Oil COmpany.
So we agree that it is classless... as for politics... no comment.

I apologize if anything in my response was interpreted as chauvinistic. That was certainly not the intent. I didn't even look at the name of the original poster until after writing the post.

Roy and Rudy are already starting to ahve their feud.... watch any blazers game you can on tv, and watch how Roy IGNORES completely Rudy and does not pass him the ball EVER.
I agree that Roy doesn't pass to Rudy, but I don't believe you are correct about the underlying reasoning. Steve Blake and Sergio Rodriguez run the offense for the first three quarters of the game. Both players are distributors by nature so they feed the ball to Rudy. The only time Roy runs the offense is in the final 9min of the game. The offense in the last 9min is completely different than the rest of the game. McMillan puts the ball in his hands every play and wants him to finish at the rim... It's not a matter of him disliking Rudy... it is a matter of the Blazers wanting the finish at the rim at the end of the game.

Also, they are not feeding Oden Enough, Bayless is seeing no PT; Outlow already moaned about his pt, in the preseason and he didnt even know how good Batum Was, websters has run out of a place in the rotation even if he comes back.
I agree that the roster will be thinned out. But there is a big difference between saying "the Blazers can't keep Outlaw, Webster and Batum" or "Blake, Sergio and Bayless" and saying that the luxury tax will keep them from keeping Oden, Aldridge, Roy and Fernandez.

basically they have 12 youngsters that ALL of them could develop in Solid starters and some of them allstars and score anything between 15 to 20 points a game somwhere else and win thre or four more times the money in ENDORSEMENTS if they are second or third or First options in a team that if they resign even for the max with portland and have to either split their minutes in 20 minute doses or have to agree to tarnish their career becoming 15 mpg reserves for players that are not that much better ( if better at all) than they are.

Only elite players make more money in endorsements than in their contracts. Very few Blazers will ever be able to do that. In fact, the only major endorsement a Blazer has is Oden making fun of his inability to be in endorsements. But being in Nike's backyard has a few perks. For example, LaMarcus Aldridge appears in LeBron's new Nike ad THREE times. I'm he gets a few dollars thrown around for that.

Roy, Oden , Aldrige all of them can be THE MAN, THE FRANCHISE on a team, ok one thing is settlign to be the second man but im damm sure NONE of them is going to be happy to be the Third Banana....
Ask Ray Allen whether he is happier in Boston or Milwaukee. I think the unique thing about Portland is that in the long run, none of them will be the man... they play team basketball. When they develop, though, they will all have excellent roles. Oden's calling card will be defense. Roy is the "do-it-all wing" and once Oden is a legit Offensive presence, Aldridge may lead the team in scoring working the high-low game with Oden.

Rudy, Webster, Bayless, they can be second man or third man in a team, why in hell woudl they settle to be role starters or WORST 6th seventh man???
Ask Webster... he just agreed to deal with this "terrible situation" for another 5 years. As for Bayless and Rudy... both are under club control for the next five years. I think the team can survive the reality that they might need to make some changes in half-a-decade.

Sergio, Outlow, Frye,DIogu, they can develop into starters somehwere else, why should they settle to be Trash time players?
First, I doubt Diogu can develop into a starter, and he will be gone next year. As for the other three, Frye has time and again stated that he wants to re-sign with the Blazers.

COme on be realistic.
I would consider this realistic...
The Blazers have the financial means to retain Roy, Aldridge and Oden.
They have four very good role players (could be starters on other teams) that are signed for 5 years (Webster, Fernandez, Bayless, Batum)
The team's transitional vets are signed for 2-3 years (Blake, Przybilla, Outlaw)
They can retain their three stars (potential stars); role players and transitional vets and still sign a 2009 FA to a max contract (even if Miles is on the books)
They have an owner with unlimited funds who has written the team a blank check (for acquiring picks and signing players)
Any losses in five years time can be supplemented with veteran players looking to win.

Does nobody remember HInrihc, Gordon, Chandler, Curry, Crawford and Artest all in the SAME team? where are they now????
Hinrich - with team; Gordon - with team; Chandler (traded); Curry (traded) Crawford (traded); Artest (traded) None of these players were lost because of financial reasons. This speaks more to Paxson being an idiot. The big difference is that we have the GM who trades Ty Thomas for Aldridge... not the other way around.

Or Miller, Miles, MAggette, Odom, Brand in the same team... where are they now????
In examples of "how to manage a team"... can we permanently put the Clippers in the "exception" catagory... rather than trying to say they are the rule. Honestly, it's the Clippers.

Tblaze
12-17-2008, 06:40 AM
Blackjack pretty much summed up all I was thinking about ^^

I think it's quite a clasless act by memphis, as most think they're doing it to hurt the blazers. If they really want to try him out, then there's no hard feelings from my side. But I don't really see what he could do for them.

blazerman
12-18-2008, 03:46 AM

I cant believe that ****** actually brought up the points he did(you burned him on every point he brought up,nice).
I hate to see all these Grizz fans so excited about bringing a dope fiend, gang bangin chump like Miles to town.

I wont be surprised to hear Miles gets Mayo to smoke some dust while target practicing at some empty 40oz'ers facing a playgroung with automatic guns or something.

I bet the entire Grizz team will be so high on dope within a month they'll all think their coach is Elvis!

If I were Kevin Pritchard I'd be adding 10/12million of the grizzlies cap space to the Blazers because they'll be begging us to take him (Miles)back and thats about how much it would take.