PDA

View Full Version : Ray Allen: Your votes are overrated!!!

fairandbalanced
12-12-2008, 06:17 PM
http://******.com/src_wiretap_archives/55950/20081212/allen_all_star_fan_vote_counts_for_too_much/

Celtics' guard Ray Allen doesn't believe that fans should have as much power in who starts during the All-Star Game as they currently possess.

"Too much is put into the fan vote as starters," Allen said. "We know there are a lot of great, talented players in the NBA. If you look at the baseball model, I think one year Sammy Sosa was MVP, and the next year he wasn't good enough to make the All-Star Game. Based on our model, on popularity you'll make it. You'll start.

"It should be a percentage of the [fans'] votes to guarantee who the starters are. You guys, the media, watch more basketball than anybody. [The media] should have a big say-so. From [the media] to the fan voting, and then maybe you throw the GM's in there. That, to me, would give an accurate representation of who the five starters should be."

New Jersey's Yi Jianlian is third in the Eastern Conference voting at the forward spot, due in large part to his popularity in his native land of China.

Dude probably thinks he would start over D-Wade if fans have no voice. The game is fan entertainment, and we love to watch some players Ray, it is not our fault that all you can do is jack up 3 pointers. Ray, you will be voted in as a 3 point shooter, other than that, no one wants to watch your boring game

PippensBulls
12-12-2008, 06:21 PM
aww Ray Ray stop wishing. Even if it wasn't by voting, there's a good 2-3 guys that would be ahead of you.

Chronz
12-12-2008, 06:22 PM
I agree with him, too many people who dont know jack about the game are essentially defining a players legacy by voting unworthy players into an all-star game. But Im also of the opinion that making the All-Star team due to popularity isnt worth **** to begin with so I have no problem with all the kids voting for their favorites, those players are easily exposed anyways. You can still be an AllStar without ever having played in an All-Star game. Plus what Ray neglects to mention is that the coaches have made huge mistakes and are prone to bias as well.

fairandbalanced
12-12-2008, 06:25 PM
I agree with him, too many people who dont know jack about the game are essentially defining a players legacy by voting unworthy players into an all-star game. But Im also of the opinion that making the All-Star team due to popularity isnt worth **** to begin with so I have no problem with all the kids voting for their favorites, those players are easily exposed anyways. You can still be an AllStar without ever having played in an All-Star game. Plus what Ray neglects to mention is that the coaches have made huge mistakes and are prone to bias as well.

I like your analysis, but I would rather watch a 75year old shaq play than Dwight Howard in his prime. The all-star game is about entertainment, if that isn't the case, Iverson would not be starting.

PippensBulls
12-12-2008, 06:27 PM
All-Star game is about entertainment IMO. It's a break from the regular season games to give the fans some fun.

If it wasn't, 3 point shootout, dunk contest, and all other competitions wouldn't be held.

MoBASS
12-12-2008, 06:36 PM
Somebody call the "WAAAAAH-mbulance."

WAAAAAHHHHH....

Chronz
12-12-2008, 06:36 PM
I like your analysis, but I would rather watch a 75year old shaq play than Dwight Howard in his prime. The all-star game is about entertainment, if that isn't the case, Iverson would not be starting.

Thats your right as a voter, my right as a fan of the game is saying that 75 year old Shaq is not an All-Star caliber player even if he played in the All-Star game.

Testaverde16
12-12-2008, 06:37 PM
I do understand his point, but the best players are chosen and only the starters are voted in. The bottomline is that it is for the fans and it is up to those who choose to vote. Ray Allen had his day, he was in all star games, he had his own movie where he proved he was a bad actor (though it wasn't a terrible movie), shut up and play. That is what you get paid to do.

Chronz
12-12-2008, 06:42 PM
Ironically, it was the coaches that overrated Ray Allen and made him an All-Star over CP3 a few years back. Im beginning to see why he values their opinion so much, hopefully he doesnt make it this year to balance it out.

Wake's Fastball
12-12-2008, 06:42 PM
I don't know why you guys are going after Allen on this. I can't even count the number of times I've seen complaining on the board about the voting process for the All-Star game. He's not saying a thing about himself being in the game, he's voicing the exact thoughts that a number of you all have said already. Yi's close to being in the game, and you're telling me that you want to watch him play?

mariotubes
12-12-2008, 06:58 PM
ray allen shouldnt even be in the all star game.... when i watch the all star game i wanna see some monster jams and some sick plays, not a guy campin behind the 3 point line takin shot after shot, save that for the 3 point comp

PHX-SOXFAN
12-12-2008, 07:05 PM
aww Ray Ray stop wishing. Even if it wasn't by voting, there's a good 2-3 guys that would be ahead of you.

typical hate from eastern conference fans towards celtics. too bad this hate is clouding the fact that he is probably referring to a Paul Pierce v. Yi discrepancy

UD5soul
12-12-2008, 07:08 PM
breaking news, Ray Allen IS overrated

Tblaze
12-12-2008, 07:09 PM
I actually think he's right, and he's not saying it because he hates it so much he probably won't be in the game.

But Yi in the all-star game? Come on that's ********.

G-Funk
12-12-2008, 07:11 PM
I would rather see fans vote for the All-stars instead of seeing the media choose the MVP. they are really biased.

td0tsfinest
12-12-2008, 07:19 PM
He's a got a point when you got guys like Yi and Luke Ridnour getting so many votes for doing minimal, inconsistent work.

sugarrayray
12-12-2008, 07:20 PM
for one i dont think he cares too much about being in the all star game, hes already made it 8 times, also i believe a few years ago vince carter was one of the leading vote getters and he had barely even played the first half of the season....i dont know why he would even comment on this, but what he says makes some sense and i dont think hes doing it for selfish reasons, and contrary to what tastaverde says about his performance in he got game, i think he was actually nominated for best breakthrough male performance.

he has been known for being a remarkable guy off the court and i think alot of people are trying to target him on this because they are actually mad that the celtics are the best team in the league....shut down

sugarrayray
12-12-2008, 07:24 PM
ooo man i forgot to mention, he won the all star game for the east last year

JJ81
12-12-2008, 07:30 PM
No, we should be able to watch who we want to see - The most entertaining players. Rayray's just upset because he's never gonna get voted as a starter haha.

I agree that fans definitely should not be able to vote for All-Star MVP or dunk contest winner etc. = Totally unfair.

Lakers4ItAll
12-12-2008, 07:49 PM
I think the Coaches should vote in the starters and Fans the reserves.

Kaptain Kanada
12-12-2008, 08:31 PM
THe voting system is soooo ****ed. But i don't think having Ray Allen in the game is going to fix it.

mrblisterdundee
12-12-2008, 08:52 PM
Ray Allen has shown once again why he is one of the brighter basketball players, but let's take it a little further. The opinions of fans could lead to a more accurate line-up if we had to vote based on specific positions instead of just forwards and guards. The centers vote already works well.

Regardless, Allen makes good points that might help avoid situations like letting a crappy Chinese (weak)power forward make the team because of very nationalistic fans. Not to be biased, but Americans are more in tune with the reality of the game, and are less likely to vote somebody in based on their ethnicity or nationality.

Corey
12-13-2008, 12:26 AM
I'm incredibly disappointed in all the posters that can't realize that this has absolutely NOTHING to do with Ray Allen being in the All-Star game or not.

He's 100% correct. The Chinese fanbase, and other fanbases vote in players that don't necessarily deserve to be in the game, and it happens all the time. No one wants to see Yi in the All-Star game, lets be honest.

xanderyear
12-13-2008, 02:07 AM
I agree with Corey, it's sad to see so many people attack Allen when he hasn't done anything but point out a flaw. Get off his back, and look at these forums. So many people complain about the fan voting, obviously he has a point. It is unreal that Yi is even in the running for starting. I think it should be broken down into individual positions if the fan vote continues this way, or something drastic needs to change.

Giaps
12-13-2008, 03:00 AM
He's 100% right. I said the same thing a few days back.

nstachowski
12-13-2008, 03:07 AM
I think that it should be a combination of fan votes and of media votes.

LakersKB24
12-13-2008, 04:12 AM
I totally agree with Ray Allen! I mean, of course it's an entertainment thing but would you be happy to see Yi start over Garnett or Bosh in 1 or 2 years? Who's next? Sun Yue over Kobe Bryant? I understand the Chinese people voting for their guys but it has nothing to do with their skills anymore and I think both popularity and skills should decide whether you start or not.
I mean did you take a look at the ballot returns?
Yi Top3 forward??? In front of guys like Pierce, Bosh, Granger (who barely makes the Top10 having a great season so far though)???
Joe Johnson behind guys like Jameer Nelson or Luke Ridnour??? Vince Carter Top3??
Deron Williams not even Top10 Guard???
Al Jefferson behind Oden, Okur and Bynum?

I really think they have to change something, because this is getting ridiculous.
Of course it's only entertainment, but it can only be entertaining when the best players take part in the All Star Game.

DenButsu
12-13-2008, 05:44 AM
He's right. I think it should be coaches who decide.

Faneik
12-13-2008, 06:04 AM
No, we should be able to watch who we want to see - The most entertaining players. Rayray's just upset because he's never gonna get voted as a starter haha.

I agree that fans definitely should not be able to vote for All-Star MVP or dunk contest winner etc. = Totally unfair.

HA HA! You're hilarious!

And you're just upset b/c Ray Allen won the Finals vs. your weak silly team.

HA HA!

Jesus!

The man never said that he deserved to be in the All-Star game. He just told what he thought about the voting system.

Grow up and stop the hating.

JJ81
12-13-2008, 02:04 PM
I think the Coaches should vote in the starters and Fans the reserves.

No way, come on. We need entertaining players starting.

JJ81
12-13-2008, 02:08 PM
HA HA! You're hilarious!

HA HA!

Jesus!

The man never said that he deserved to be in the All-Star game. He just told what he thought about the voting system.

I didn't say that's what he said, I said that's what he thought. I justified by oppinion and it's accurate - he will never be voted as a starter, he's not entertaining enough to start ahead of Wade, Iverson, Carter, Rose, Johnson, Harris or Arenas.

dwiduck
12-13-2008, 02:42 PM
Ray is right though, Yi Jianlian should not even be in the allstar conversation, let alone one of the top vote getters. I think the fans should only get a percentage of the voting power like in other sports, i would rather watch the BEST players in the game than whoever has the biggest fan base. I mean someone like Iverson has no business playin in the allstar game this year but i can just about guarantee he will be one of the top vote getters for his position.

kvrnm
12-13-2008, 04:04 PM
ray is a 100% correct. and he is having a great year as well, not saying he should start, but he is definetly up there.

Lakersfan2483
12-13-2008, 06:40 PM
The All-Star game is about entertainment and generally some guys make it that should not make it. Also, some guys get snubbed, it's more about populartity. Ray actually has a good point.

rosesbulls
12-13-2008, 08:08 PM
I Wouldnt agree if I didn't see the current top 10 in guards and Pf

Dwyane Wade (Mia) 623,311
Allen Iverson (Det) 492,093
Vince Carter (NJ) 236,634
Ray Allen (Bos) 174,155
Jose Calderon (Tor) 124,705
Luke Ridnour (Mil) 123,104
Jameer Nelson (Orl) 116,228
Derrick Rose (Chi) 102,263
Joe Johnson (Atl) 94,847
Devin Harris (NJ) 94,294
Gilbert Arenas (Wash) 64,450

Yi 3rd (PF)
Derrick Rose 8th
Devin Harris 10th
Joe Johnson 9th

AI 2nd

Gilbert Arenas hasn't played a game and is 11th...
Luke Ridnour 6th!!!!

Other example is: Granger 10th with 49,000...700 ahead of Beasley

rosesbulls
12-13-2008, 08:20 PM
The Coaches wouldn't pick the entertaining exciting players but instead they would pick the players that work hard and play solid team basketball:puke:

We all want to see exciting great players/ favorite in the AS game...

But I think Nba should get a media/ committe (IDK how they would pick members but they would try and have both a coach and a fan view on it)/ fans... were each accounts for 33.3% of votes and the .1% goes to hell. Sorta like college FB but 1. fans get a say. and 2. It isn't done by a crappy computer that always snubs some1 And instead of coaches it's a Commit.

Also Coaches would probably have a little bias toward there team players. Not much almost none but some.

So instead of Yi being 3rd with 350,000 he would be 7 with about 115,000

HOZ THE KNICK
12-13-2008, 08:34 PM
what he's smoking

StraightBallin
12-13-2008, 08:55 PM
Ray is right though, Yi Jianlian should not even be in the allstar conversation, let alone one of the top vote getters. I think the fans should only get a percentage of the voting power like in other sports, i would rather watch the BEST players in the game than whoever has the biggest fan base. I mean someone like Iverson has no business playin in the allstar game this year but i can just about guarantee he will be one of the top vote getters for his position.

You hit the nail right on the head with that sentence man. Yi possibly could be a starting forward for the Eastern All Stars. That's ridiculous. The coaches and players should pick the majority of the all star team and let the fans vote in the remaining few. It's the only fair way to do things. Just like Yao's rookie year he was voted the starting Western Conference center over Shaq. I mean now Yao should be starting over Shaq but, not that year. Shaq was near his peak and Yao was an unproven rookie. Something definitely should change.

rosesbulls
12-13-2008, 09:19 PM
At this point I want Yi to start...

there not going to change it unless something big like that happens then changes will be made.

And it would be a great laugh

Halladay
12-14-2008, 01:10 AM
Jesus Shuttlesworth should start every all-star game.

sugarrayray
12-14-2008, 01:28 AM
HA HA! You're hilarious!

HA HA!

Jesus!

Well said and......yes

HA HA!

Nighthawk
12-14-2008, 05:30 AM
HOW CAN ANYONE Say hes wrong when Yi is 3rd. For the most part the fans make the right choice on some of the starters. But come on, we all know it is clearly a popularity contest. I dont care what they do honestly. If its fans voting that determines the starting 5 or its coaches/ media/ gms i dont care. We all like 2 watch the 3pt shoot out and the dunk contest instead anyway