PDA

View Full Version : What if (insert team here) had won the 2003 draft lottery?

hotpotato1092
12-12-2008, 02:51 PM
Not sure exactly, but I think the top 10 teams in the '03 lottery other than Cleveland were Denver, New York, Memphis (given to detroit if it wasn't number 1), L.A Clippers, Miami, Chicago, Milwaukee, toronto, washington and golden state. But what if one of these teams got LeBron instead of Cleveland? Where would they be? Here's my take on each:

Denver: At first they would have been the same, low playoff seed and losing to San Antonio despite an incredible effort by LeBron in round one. LeBron would steadily improve with guys like Andre Miller, Marcus Camby and Nene around him to the point where they felt one move would make them true contenders. This is where the Allen Iverson trade happens. In a weaker than usual western conference thanks to golden state beating Dallas, Denver wins the western conference in 2007 and beats Detroit in the finals to win the 2006-2007 title. They lose to the Lakers in 7 in the western conference finals the next year, but still remain contenders.

New York: Built around LeBron, the league's premier franchise returns to the playoffs. With Larry Brown coaching him the knicks make it to the 2nd round of the playoffs before Brown's feud with Starbury and Isiah leads to him leaving. LeBron may be a global icon in new york, but he won't have the same level of team success he has in cleveland.

Miami: IMO the most interesting. With Odom and Butler they barely lose to Indiana in the playoffs in his rookie year. After the Shaq trade however, LeBron and Shaq tear up the league for two years winning consecutive titles and LeBron winning back to back league MVPs. when Shaq starts breaking down however, they slip from the league's elite, but LeBron keeps them a playoff team until they trade Shaq (probably not for marion because they already have LeBron).

L.A Clippers. Kobe vs LeBron in the leagues second biggest market. The clippers were on the rise when Sam Cassel Came to town and Elton Brand started playing like an MVP, isn't it conceivable that they would have beaten Phoenix in game 7 of the western conference semis in '05 with LeBron instead of Kaman? Couldn't they have beaten the Dallas team that beat Phoenix in 6? Maybe a stretch, but couldn't Brand Sam I am and LeBron have beaten Miami in finals? That's right, if the ping pong balls had bounced differently that night we'd be talking about the clippers as former NBA champs. I say they would have at least two titles right now.

Memphis Grizzlies: Pau, LeBron, Mike Miller and others would have been a 50 or so win team in LeBron's rookie year. As he proggressed, him and his sidekick Pau would lead Memphis to contention, but they would be on a limited clock (4 years) because there's no way LeBron stays in Memphis as an FA. They may steal the '07 title from the spurs, but LeBron would leave and basketball would die in memphis.

Milwaukee Bucks: Redd was just coming into his own and with LeBron and a fairly weak eastern conference (after Indiana, Detroit and Miami who was really good?) they could have made some noise. They definately would have won the east in '07 since the LeBron-less cavs would suck, but could they beat the spurs? Unlikely.

Toronto Raptors: Keep in mind Vince Carter was still on the team at this point. Would Vince be reinvigorated with the chance to play with LeBron? How good would prime vince be with LeBron? I say they steal at least one title (either from the spurs or heat), but no more.

Golden State Warriors: Hmm... Not sure what to think of this one. If they still draft Monta Ellis and sign Baron Davis then they'd be unbeatable. They'd win the '06-'08 titles at least, and they'd be serious contenders for years to come if Baron stayed. Come on, Baron-Monta-LeBron-Harrington-Biedrins with captain Jack off the bench? Really? I know their team would be slightly different but if they could have gotten the same pieces with Lebron they'd be unstoppable with Nellie coaching.

Washington Wizards: Pre injury Agent Zero, Caron Butler, Antwan Jamison and LeBron? Unstoppable, they'd have a few titles right now. They signed gil before Lebrons rookie year, but they traded for Caron later so I'm not sure they still get him and are stuck with Kwame. Anyway this team competes for years.

Chicago Bulls: Similar situation to Cleveland: They improve to fast with LeBron to get good pieces around him, they are stuck in 2nd round purgatory until someone hands them a sidekick (which happens fairly often in todays NBA actually), but they aren't the serious title contenders some of these other teams are.

Anyway that's my opinion, what do you all think would happen? How would the trickle down from LeBron landing somewhere else affect the rest of the league? Where would LeBron be the best player? And which of these teams do you think would be best?

AIMelo=KillaDUO
12-12-2008, 03:11 PM
I doubt anyone is gonna read all that. Sorry bruh.

Theanswer76
12-12-2008, 03:14 PM
i did. i actually say everything you said was good, i agree 100 percent. "Bruh"

jimbobjarree
12-12-2008, 03:23 PM
good stuff bruh

Ansy
12-12-2008, 03:39 PM
bruh

JordansBulls
12-12-2008, 03:51 PM
Not sure exactly, but I think the top 10 teams in the '03 lottery other than Cleveland were Denver, New York, Memphis (given to detroit if it wasn't number 1), L.A Clippers, Miami, Chicago, Milwaukee, toronto, washington and golden state. But what if one of these teams got LeBron instead of Cleveland? Where would they be? Here's my take on each:

Denver: At first they would have been the same, low playoff seed and losing to San Antonio despite an incredible effort by LeBron in round one. LeBron would steadily improve with guys like Andre Miller, Marcus Camby and Nene around him to the point where they felt one move would make them true contenders. This is where the Allen Iverson trade happens. In a weaker than usual western conference thanks to golden state beating Dallas, Denver wins the western conference in 2007 and beats Detroit in the finals to win the 2006-2007 title. They lose to the Lakers in 7 in the western conference finals the next year, but still remain contenders.

New York: Built around LeBron, the league's premier franchise returns to the playoffs. With Larry Brown coaching him the knicks make it to the 2nd round of the playoffs before Brown's feud with Starbury and Isiah leads to him leaving. LeBron may be a global icon in new york, but he won't have the same level of team success he has in cleveland.

Miami: IMO the most interesting. With Odom and Butler they barely lose to Indiana in the playoffs in his rookie year. After the Shaq trade however, LeBron and Shaq tear up the league for two years winning consecutive titles and LeBron winning back to back league MVPs. when Shaq starts breaking down however, they slip from the league's elite, but LeBron keeps them a playoff team until they trade Shaq (probably not for marion because they already have LeBron).

L.A Clippers. Kobe vs LeBron in the leagues second biggest market. The clippers were on the rise when Sam Cassel Came to town and Elton Brand started playing like an MVP, isn't it conceivable that they would have beaten Phoenix in game 7 of the western conference semis in '05 with LeBron instead of Kaman? Couldn't they have beaten the Dallas team that beat Phoenix in 6? Maybe a stretch, but couldn't Brand Sam I am and LeBron have beaten Miami in finals? That's right, if the ping pong balls had bounced differently that night we'd be talking about the clippers as former NBA champs. I say they would have at least two titles right now.

Memphis Grizzlies: Pau, LeBron, Mike Miller and others would have been a 50 or so win team in LeBron's rookie year. As he proggressed, him and his sidekick Pau would lead Memphis to contention, but they would be on a limited clock (4 years) because there's no way LeBron stays in Memphis as an FA. They may steal the '07 title from the spurs, but LeBron would leave and basketball would die in memphis.

Milwaukee Bucks: Redd was just coming into his own and with LeBron and a fairly weak eastern conference (after Indiana, Detroit and Miami who was really good?) they could have made some noise. They definately would have won the east in '07 since the LeBron-less cavs would suck, but could they beat the spurs? Unlikely.

Toronto Raptors: Keep in mind Vince Carter was still on the team at this point. Would Vince be reinvigorated with the chance to play with LeBron? How good would prime vince be with LeBron? I say they steal at least one title (either from the spurs or heat), but no more.

Golden State Warriors: Hmm... Not sure what to think of this one. If they still draft Monta Ellis and sign Baron Davis then they'd be unbeatable. They'd win the '06-'08 titles at least, and they'd be serious contenders for years to come if Baron stayed. Come on, Baron-Monta-LeBron-Harrington-Biedrins with captain Jack off the bench? Really? I know they're team would be slightly different but if they could have gotten the same pieces with Lebron they'd be unstoppable with Nellie coaching.

Washington Wizards: Pre injury Agent Zero, Caron Butler, Antwan Jamison and LeBron? Unstoppable, they'd have a few titles right now. They signed gil before Lebrons rookie year, but they traded for Caron later so I'm not sure they still get him and are stuck with Kwame. Anyway this team competes for years.

Chicago Bulls: Similar situation to Cleveland: They improve to fast with LeBron to get good pieces around him, they are stuck in 2nd round purgatory until someone hands them a sidekick (which happens fairly often in todays NBA actually), but they aren't the serious title contenders some of these other teams are.

Anyway that's my opinion, what do you all think would happen? How would the trickle down from LeBron landing somewhere else affect the rest of the league? Where would LeBron be the best player? And which of these teams do you think would be best?

Nice Analysis. However, I am not sure if the Bulls would have takin Lebron. They may have taken Melo that year.

AFlagRules
12-12-2008, 03:53 PM
"bruh's"...This is all wrong...Most of the moves that happened after the results of the 03 draft, were because of that very reason (They didn't win the lotto)...So saying all of this now isn't proper because its almost 100% wrong.

Vince and LBJ would have been nice :)

Gibby23
12-12-2008, 03:54 PM
Nice Analysis. However, I am not sure if the Bulls would have takin Lebron. They may have taken Melo that year.

No way they would have taken Mello. LeBron was the clear cut #1 that year.

td0tsfinest
12-12-2008, 03:58 PM
Ahhh Man, VC and Lebron. It would have been absolutely disgusting for opposing fans to watch as we wooped their butts.

redsox4ever36
12-12-2008, 04:14 PM
LeBron hasnt won a title yet, lets not forget that so to say he could have stolen titles from teams like the spurs or the pistons, who dont you forget were great is a little unrealistic. There is also the scenario that had another team gotten Lebron there could have been a better fit out there for guys like Wade, Bosh and Melo. Had they been put in different spots we could be talking about championships for them too.

mariotubes
12-12-2008, 04:45 PM
it doesnt matter what the team is, whoever got lebron would be 10x better right now

_Sn1P3r_
12-12-2008, 05:41 PM
Ahhh Man, VC and Lebron. It would have been absolutely disgusting for opposing fans to watch as we wooped their butts.

Yup.. they'd put on a show every game.

hotpotato1092
12-12-2008, 07:07 PM
I think the two biggest what ifs here are Miami and the Clippers. LeBron and Shaq win at least one but likely two titles, while LeBron and Brand would definately have a title by now and would be able to compete for years.

JJ81
12-12-2008, 07:33 PM
Darko got picked over Bosh, Wade and Melo... Ouch.

superkegger
12-12-2008, 09:31 PM
Really, you bring up some interesting points, but literally, you change one pick around in that top 5, and you've just changed the complexion of the NBA over the past 5 years.

I'll illustrate. If memphis got the #1 pick, and bron goes there, Memphis becomes a contender pretty quickly. Maybe they don't trade posey away. Do the Heat still win the championship? who knows. Would they have traded battier away for Gay? Maybe, maybe not, maybe gay is a rocket at this point. They probably wouldn't have traded Pau Gasol to the Lakers. And does that mean Shaq and Kidd stay put? who knows, but the lakers and celtics likely wouldn't have met in the finals, kobe likely wouldn't have won his MVP, Maybe he Celtics then don't win the championship. Maybe the Spurs get there, because maybe without kidd in Dallas, Dallas wins that series, and then loses to SA next round and Manu never gets hurt because things play out differently with differnet people in different situations.

It's all very intriguing. But simple fact is, things wouldn't have happened the same way at all if you mix up who and where those top 5 picks go.

Giaps
12-12-2008, 09:39 PM
Darko might go down as the biggest bust ever when you compare him to the rest of his draft class that came after him.