PDA

View Full Version : Casey Fien.....scouting report?

hoog
12-12-2008, 08:49 AM
Does anyone out there have a good scouting report on Casey Fien? I know he's a high strike out low walk guy but it seems that the Tigers have some grand plan for this guy this year and I'd like to know more about him. In looking at his minor league stats it seems he gives up alot of hits and a decent amount of HR's for a reliever. What's his pitching arsenal made up of and what's his make up? Is he closer material or just set up guy material?

dillon4412
12-12-2008, 11:14 AM
Casey Fien began 2008 by making an impression on Tigers manager Jim Leyland in Spring Training. With Fien's season now continuing in the Arizona Fall League, he's wrapping up his year with another impression on the organization as its top officials meet to go over the farm system.
A season that challenged Fien to make the jump from low Class A ball to the eventual closer's role at Double-A Erie before setup work for Triple-A Toledo now has him competing with some of baseball's best prospects in Arizona. So far, he's more than holding his own. It's still early, but his four scoreless innings over three outings entering Wednesday have him off to a solid start.

He started his AFL tenure by picking up the win in the Mesa Solar Sox's season opener, tossing two scoreless innings on two hits with four strikeouts before taking advantage of a 10th-inning run to earn the decision.

Since then, the outings have been shorter while pitching once every three or four days, but the results have been much the same. Not only did he toss a perfect inning apiece Saturday and again Tuesday, but he wasted few pitches doing it. He needed just four pitches to retire the Scottsdale side in order on Tuesday, the last three of them resulting in outs following a first-pitch ball to lead off the inning.

Add in his inning over the weekend, and Fien has retired his last five batters on just seven total pitches, six of them strikes. He needed seven pitches to retire the first batter he faced Saturday, eventually sending him down on a called third strike.

Team officials are meeting this week at the Tigers' Spring Training offices in Lakeland, Fla., to discuss the player-development system. In an organization that needs all the young relief pitching it can find, it's certain that Fien's name will come up in some capacity. Since the Tigers must put him on the 40-man roster to protect him from the Rule 5 Draft in December, he'll likely spend Spring Training with the big league club.

Leyland admitted during Spring Training that he spotted Fien in a Minor League game he watched and ended up bringing him over to the big club for an appearance before camp broke.

That goes in line with what Fien displayed down the stretch at Toledo. Take away an Aug. 6 outing at Louisville, where he gave up three runs on four hits over two-thirds of an inning, and the former 20th-round pick in the 2006 First-Year Player Draft allowed a lone run -- a solo homer -- and 10 hits over his other 14 1/3 innings.

The efficiency wasn't the same in those outings, but he used some of those extra pitches on strikeouts -- at least one in each of his 12 appearance at Triple-A, 17 strikeouts in all over his 15 innings after striking out 42 batters over 45 2/3 innings at Erie.

dillon4412
12-12-2008, 11:16 AM
One key for the Hens was that they didn't put Fien into jams down the stretch, preferring to allow him to start and finish an inning. He had just one inherited runner in his entire stretch run, and he didn't allow him to score. The only hit he allowed with runners in scoring position was a three-run homer in that Aug. 6 appearance.

Fien is one of two Tigers prospects off to fast starts in Arizona. Erie second baseman Will Rhymes, called up to the AFL when Michael Hollimon underwent surgery last month to repair a torn labrum, put up back-to-back two-hit games last week on his way to a 6-for-21 (.286) start with two runs scored and three RBIs. He was an even 4-for-8 (.500) with runners on base through Tuesday.

Bondomania
12-12-2008, 01:42 PM
Fien

FB - 91 to 93 and can get it up to 95 at times.. not really the sinking type, however it is categorized as heavy so he gets a lot of ground balls

SL - nice late bite, looks similar to a cutter, but it breaks more sharp later

CH - isn't really a good pitch for him.. really lags behind his other two pitches.. most likely will be a "show me" pitch against lefties, to keep them from really timing his FB

Has a tendency to overthrow his FB with runners on base which causes it to elevate, something he is going to have to work on at higher levels. He does however have that bulldog mentality, he doesn't give in to hitters and usually doesn't walk many, as seen in his numbers from this year and his AFL numbers

hoog
12-12-2008, 02:10 PM
Thanks everyone. Bondo, that was exactly what I was looking for in my request. Judging by that and his stats (gives up alot of hits and HR's) I think he's more of a set up guy than a closer. Maybe a Donnelly in his prime with the Angels?

Bondomania
12-12-2008, 04:44 PM
no problem.. i think he has a closers mentality, but he might be a setup guy as well.. a guy you can bring in with a runner on and he will challenge hitters instead of nibbling at the corners

babygranderson
12-12-2008, 11:02 PM
Fien

FB - 91 to 93 and can get it up to 95 at times.. not really the sinking type, however it is categorized as heavy so he gets a lot of ground balls

SL - nice late bite, looks similar to a cutter, but it breaks more sharp later

CH - isn't really a good pitch for him.. really lags behind his other two pitches.. most likely will be a "show me" pitch against lefties, to keep them from really timing his FB

Has a tendency to overthrow his FB with runners on base which causes it to elevate, something he is going to have to work on at higher levels. He does however have that bulldog mentality, he doesn't give in to hitters and usually doesn't walk many, as seen in his numbers from this year and his AFL numbers

Bondo = king of scouting!!!!!!!

Bondomania
12-12-2008, 11:34 PM
hahaha, well thank you.. perhaps i have a future in scouting

Detroit70
12-14-2008, 05:19 PM
No kidden!! bondo great job on the info. I will see him if he plays with toledo when they come to norfolk.