PDA

View Full Version : Possible FAs

JMDTM
12-11-2008, 09:01 PM
Just read on the Tigers website that they are looking at JJ Putz. Also read that they are looking at John Smoltz. Smoltz has apparently told press he would like to come back to michigan where he was born and raised to play for the Tigers, so this is a possible move. Any thoughts on this?

mark1125
12-11-2008, 09:15 PM
Just read on the Tigers website that they are looking at JJ Putz. Also read that they are looking at John Smoltz. Smoltz has apparently told press he would like to come back to michigan where he was born and raised to play for the Tigers, so this is a possible move. Any thoughts on this?

Well, Putz is now a Met and I do like Smoltz if he comes cheap. I am not in favor of getting older, but if he would sign for cheap that would be fine. Then if/when Tigers suck it up, we could deal him at the deadline.

JMDTM
12-11-2008, 09:17 PM
i think he could do well here. i like smoltz

babygranderson
12-12-2008, 12:00 AM
Here's the guy I want us to get for our 5th starter:

These are his numbers:

27 years old

27 games started, 146 IP, record: 12-7 (could've easily won 3 more games) 4.35 ERA, 1.35 WHIP. 14/27 quality starts (within an out of 5 more - or 19/27 starts)

He will cost us 400K this year.

It's Zach Miner. He's horrible out of the pen. The above numbers are from his 06 starts and his 08 starts. Not too shabby.

hoog
12-12-2008, 08:39 AM
BG, I could not agree more. As much as I want a lefty starter I still can't leave Minor out in the cold. He's bounced around from pen to starter way to much. He's PROVEN he can be a rotation guy for the Tigers and definately deserves a shot at that fifth spot and should win it. The uncertainty of Bonderman can also work in Mnor's favor in the case of Willis or Nate showing some rebound. My thought here is that Bonderman will not start out healthy enough to start the season but come back within the first quarter of the season. That would give Minor his spot. My hope is that Willis has regained his form and can pitch like the player he was at one time. Then when Bonderman comes back the most ineffective starter goes to the pen or is traded. All in all though I see good things for Minor this year.

scottie
12-12-2008, 04:08 PM
Let me run this by you guys. 1. Does everyone think Galarraga is going to be as good if not better this year. Most scouts say when pitchers like him come in, teams have only a so-so scouting report on the guy, and the second full year is the struggle. Teams know his pitches better and his stuff at times is pretty good, but not always. Just wondering if anyone shares that opinion.

I would like to see us go and get Peavy. A package of Sheff (with money and a lot of it), 1 prospect, and Bonderman should do it? What you think?

JMDTM
12-12-2008, 04:20 PM
i think gallaraga is gonna be fine. he was with us for a big majority of the year last year and he still did well. he should be fine

babygranderson
12-12-2008, 06:49 PM
1. Thanks HOOG
2. I worry about Galaraga...but I kept waiting for his demise last year, and he never did. Because he doesn't have electric stuff, I will always worry. I do think he's always going to be a solid 4 or 5th in a worst case scenario, though... a 12-12 mid 4's era type (worst case) That's my gut. We could do a lot worse.

mark1125
12-12-2008, 07:47 PM
I see Galarraga settling is as a #3-4 type getting a consistant 12-14 wins with an ERA around 4.00.

As for Peavy:

1) I doubt that package would net Peavy. Porcello would have to be involved and most likely another top prospect.

2) I doubt Peavy would OK the trade.

JMDTM
12-13-2008, 01:28 PM
J/W, can Clete play LF? If so, we should trade Guillen, Robertson, and Willis and get Jake Peavey. Then throw money at Ben Sheets in FA.

Verlander
Sheets
Peavey
Bonderman
Gallaraga

that would be amazing

Bondomania
12-13-2008, 02:19 PM
WORST TRADE EVER!!! the so the padres would take on over 30 mill. in horrible contracts for an ace???

To answer the original question posed.. yes Clete played LF several times last season.. Clete can pretty much play all three outfield positions

Sheffies Chef
12-13-2008, 08:11 PM
Clete could play Left no problem, but he probably isn't in the future plans. that'll either be Casper Wells or Wilkin Ramirez.

JMDTM:

There is no way in hell that SD would accept that kind of deal. Porcello AND Iorg would have to be involved.

Why would they take a semi-injury, decent LF/3B/SS/1B; a crappy SP, and an unknown SP? Where the hell is your logic in that deal? Look at it from both sides of the fence bro.

mark1125
12-13-2008, 09:29 PM
We just don't have the depth to get a Peavy.

It would cost Porcello, Iorg and probably another upper-crust prospect.

And again, that is assuming that Peavy would OK the trade which I don't think he would.

Bondomania
12-14-2008, 11:02 AM
Clete projects more as the future 4th outfielder for the tigers.. that will most likely be his role moving into the future.. assuming Casper and Wilkin can make the adjustment to big league pitching..

JMDTM
12-14-2008, 02:04 PM
i sure hope all our prospect pitchers pan out and we dont trade them all away

scottie
12-14-2008, 02:57 PM
I believe it is very possible to get Peavy here in a trade. The Tigers have some servicable Pros which would be a welcome addition to many clubs. Guillen is a great player and multiple All Star. Robertson has had an average career. Tiger fans just jump on the guy because we sucked last year. Thames is very servicable for many clubs as well. We still have many prosects we could afford to trade. Pitching, infield, and outfield all have prospects to move. Granderson should be our starting CF for the next 5 years at least. Maggs could also be either traded or in my opinion stay here and play DH and RF. Clete Thomas is an excellent OF option, who could play where ever we need him in the outfield. Detroit also has draft picks to trade in the future as well. For the people (Bondo) that say we don't have what it takes to get a deal for Peavy he is mistaken. That is just his opinion, which he believes to be fact based. The guy goes and says Peavy wont come here. Did Peavy make that statement? I never heard or saw that anywhere. Did anyone else? Detroit can put a very solid and competitive package together to get Peavy any day if they wanted to. That is a fact, not an opinion! I believe the Tigers do not want Peavy for some reason, maybe because some NL pitchers have had trouble pitching in the AL.

Bondomania
12-15-2008, 11:28 AM
HE HAS A LIST OF ONLY 4 OR 5 TEAMS THAT HE HAS AGREED TO GO TO!!!!!!

Cubs and Braves were the front runners on that list.. i have seen reports like 2 months ago when the whole peavy trade stuff started.. he wants to stay in the NL and he can reject a trade to a team if he doesn't want to go there.. Angels, Red Sox and Yankees are most likely the only AL teams he would agree to a trade with.. oh yeah and Peavy is picky about where he goes.. The braves supposidly offered Yunel Escobar in the trade and Peavy said he wouldn't go to Atlanta if Yunel was in the package...

Alright, here is what you have to consider when making a trade like this. San Diego is trying to stay under 50 mill. payroll and they can't afford to take an average pitcher who is way overpaid. San Diego is demanding 3 or 4 prospects for Peavy, they don't want guys that are in the their 30's that are average players at best... Thames is a part time player, and everyone that thinks he is an everyday player is sadly mistaken.. sure he can hit some bombs, but he will strike out probably 300 times a season. San Diego is looking to rebuild, if San Diego needed to add one piece to compete then maybe you could sell them on Maggs. But they aren't going to add 14 mill. in payroll for an outfielder who plays average defense and is getting older. San Diego's farm system sucks, and they lack depth at starting pitching, they are looking for a few pitching prospects, and were demanding Tommy Hansen (atlanta's top prospect) plus another pitching prospect and then two more prospects after that, including Gorky's Hernandez.. we depleted our farm system last offseason and we don't have the pieces to pull off the trade.. Trust me.. i love Peavy and would love to see him wearing the old english D, however it is all just a dream, nothing more, nothing less

Also, you can't trade picks in baseball...

dddtfan
12-15-2008, 05:48 PM
Bondomania, well said, but Maggs will make 18 Million this year and most likely 15 Mill each of the next two. I also think Maggs has a list of 10 teams its okay to trade him to also, and I don't think San Diego would be one of them.

theoldgoalie
12-16-2008, 12:10 PM
There is no way in heck that will happen and for what it would cost us. I don't think the return would be worth it! Bottom line, he does not want to play in the American League, or trust me, the Yanks and Redsox would have been drooling over a way to get him! If he goes anywhere at this point, it would be Atlanta or nowhere.

As for trade bait.....Sheffield is not going to bring us the likes of a guy like Peavy even if he is packaged up. he is NOT an outfielder, he is NOT a first baseman and he is barely a DH at this point in his career. If we are going to get anything for Sheffield, our best chances are with Texas (who have a lot of bullpen talent to offer and would probably make a move for him if we ate some of his contract), or Tampa Bay, who would love to have his bat somewhere near Pena in the order. Other than that, no one needs him and we will be stuck with him unless we eat a large portion of his contract.

Smoltz would be the ideal FA to sign at this point, he would give us depth at the back end of our bullpen, he would be a good mentor for some of our younger talent, he could give us a few starts if needed and he has a history with Detroit. he would be an EXCELLENT fit here. If he's available.....GO GET HIM!!!

scottie
12-23-2008, 01:34 PM
I can't flipping believe we are paying a Luxury tax for this crapola team!!! we need to call it "The bad signing TAX"!