PDA

View Full Version : McDyess: Pistons must adjust to Iverson

COLH
12-11-2008, 07:22 PM
Never mind that the Pistons are 7-9 since he's been here, Allen Iverson still has elite level cache around the league.

If the fan voting ended today, Iverson would be the starting point guard for the Eastern Conference all-star team. The first round of balloting was tabulated and Iverson is second among Eastern Conference guards behind Dwyane Wade.

Tayshaun Prince is eighth among forwards and Rasheed Wallace third among centers.

"Allen is a great player," Antonio McDyess said about his new teammate. "We are trying to adjust and I think we need to play within him, not him playing within us. That's just how I feel. We don't want to take anything away from his game. He's such a great player, such a great scorer, we all around him have to make the adjustment."
McDyess might not have been watching all the games. Iverson is playing close to 40 minutes a game now, but he's not coming close to his career scoring numbers (27 points per game). He's averaging 17.3 points and shooting 39 percent.

Iverson has also been a little slow to adjust to the Pistons' defensive schemes, though on Thursday, Michael Curry gave him a passing grade for his defensive work.

"I think he understands what we're doing," Curry said. "At times he's been OK and at times he's been really good. You look at that Knicks game and we fell behind by 29 points with (Knicks guard) Chris Duhon doing a lot of penetrating; you look at that and think Allen wasn't doing a very good job. But the reality is, 16 of those 29 points came because our five-man (center) missed his assignment."

That five-man was Kwame Brown, who lost his starting job after that game.

Hey guys, I posted this here to see your reaction. IMO I think 'Dice is spot on. They need to adjust to AI and AI needs to be more involved on offense to be effective. I know alot of you would disagree with this but I've got 'Dice to back me up lol.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20081211/SPORTS0102/812110472/1127

superkegger
12-11-2008, 07:29 PM
Of course they need to adjust to Iverson and not vice versa. What did they think, he would just blend into a team game when they traded for him?

The Answer3
12-11-2008, 07:35 PM
I somewhat agree but you have to consider that AI has declined, he can't take over games. I remember the 07 and 08 playoffs where I was expecting AI to take over 1 of the games but it never happened. And AI is trying too hard to fit in with the Pistons. He should just play his game, take his shots and see how it works out. He's moving the ball way too much but he isn't creating plays.

SteveNash
12-11-2008, 08:59 PM
McDyess should have just stayed away, go win a rin on a good team.

Why should the Pistons adjust to AI? He's only going to be here a year, we're not going to win a championship with him. Force him to fit into the Pistons or waive him.

JJ81
12-11-2008, 09:35 PM
Of course they need to adjust to Iverson and not vice versa. What did they think, he would just blend into a team game when they traded for him?

:clap:

IversonIsKrazy
12-11-2008, 10:07 PM
some of the plays, he stands and watches on offence. i dont think i've ever seen him do that in his career. i think they should c wut happens if they let AI b philly-AI. who'll take a lotta shots, give 30ppg, and penetrate the line as much as he wants. rite now he passes the ball so much that once he passes he'll watch wut the player does. when ai has had a big game, they win, think abt it. lakers, spurs, cavs, ai had big games against all of em and won.

IversonIsKrazy
12-11-2008, 10:12 PM
In Games Won 8 7 40.1 .447 .391 .823 0.8 3.1 3.9 6.1 2.8 0.0 22.3
In Games Lost 11 11 36.1 .367 .190 .803 0.7 2.2 2.9 5.4 0.9 0.2 14.1

SteveNash
12-12-2008, 08:02 AM
Detroit In Games Without AI: 4-0
Detroit In Games With AI: 7-9
Denver In Games With AI: 1-2
Denver In Games Without AI: 14-5

DieselPowered32
12-12-2008, 01:25 PM
Billups has shown everyone in the league who was the real leader in Detroit, why they got rid of him for AI i'll never know. But the proof of Billups ability as a leader is proven by the Nuggets play and AI is just a pure ball hog and it's no coincidence that as soon as he left and the Nuggets got Billups and changed to more of a team game they have strived. The pistons are going to keep struggling AI doesn't know how to share the ball and create and get your team involved, he goes into his selfish mode to often in games and thinks he can still win games on his own. Too many times in games the Pistons seem to be playing good team ball then all of a sudden AI goes into selfish mode.

When he realises that it's not about him anymore than maybe the pistons will have a chance, you'd think he would have realised it by seeing how well the Nuggets have done since his gone.

bartlett2266
12-12-2008, 01:51 PM
ya adjust from being a great team whose plays together and wins a team win iverson

MooseWithFleas
12-12-2008, 02:21 PM
Wow... what shocking and insightful words from Antonio. Who would have thought!!!!!