PDA

View Full Version : Chad Cordero

MichiganSports
12-11-2008, 12:52 PM
I know this guy is coming off a Major Injury, but I think Dave should take a Leap of Faith and Sign this guy now. The Closer Market is getting thin and this guy has great stuff and huge upside. Now that we traded away our best outfield prospect in Joyce why do the same for a Closer with less upside and talent than Cordero has?

drewstantontime
12-11-2008, 01:17 PM
I completely agree, I have always kind of been a Cordero fan anyway even though i see him more as a setup guy but id say sign him and use him as our closer

Lionsforlife
12-11-2008, 01:50 PM
I actually would lean toward signing Smoltz as the closer now. I would also try to sign either Lyon or Cruz as set up, possibly closer next year. I don't trust Cordero. I think Smoltz would be solid this year and maybe even next year as Ryan Perry gets ready to fill the spot.

Bondomania
12-11-2008, 07:29 PM
no no no no no... Cordero is not an answer.. there have been no reports on him.. has he even pitched in front of anyone? i don't think you panic and take a leap on someone that may not be ready to pitch, or might not work out at all

Rodney Stuckey
01-09-2009, 07:42 PM
:cool:Looks like were looking at him now. Cant be anyworse then some of the men we got in that pen!:cool:

mark1125
01-09-2009, 09:26 PM
If we are going to take a flyer on a closer coming off injury, I would rather go with Saito. He has a better track record recently. If Cordero could be had for pennies, take a shot, but don't use it as an excuse not to get a Saito, Cruz, Lyon, Etc.

lionsfanphil
01-10-2009, 12:56 AM
I like cordero and we should definitely keep an eye on him. We definitely need help in the pen even if he just ends up being a setup guy. Its not like we are loaded there. I would also like to see them let sheffield go and go after a guy like dunn. I've liked this guy for a long time and think he would be a great adition to the tigers

mark1125
01-10-2009, 11:22 AM
I like cordero and we should definitely keep an eye on him. We definitely need help in the pen even if he just ends up being a setup guy. Its not like we are loaded there. I would also like to see them let sheffield go and go after a guy like dunn. I've liked this guy for a long time and think he would be a great adition to the tigers

I like Dunn, but he isn't what we need to spend money on. What I mean is that he is a 1B/DH type who is slow and plays poor defense. We have that covered. He has great power and OBP, but I ould rather see money spent on speed and pitching. If we didn't have Sheff and Guillen, I wouldn't mind having Dunn at DH.

I don't see us cutting Sheff. Luckily he has motivation of earning a new contract, so one can hope he improves this year.

JackB
01-10-2009, 12:08 PM
Juan Cruz, P - Arizona Diamondbacks
January 10 @ 7:23am CT
Dodgers may dodge Cruz - The Dodgers may steer clear of signing reliever Juan Cruz because he is a Type-A free agent, the Los Angeles Daily News reports. Any teams that inks Cruz would give up a first-round pick in 2009.

Thats a high price to pay for a guy we really DON't truely know can get the job done.

mark1125
01-10-2009, 12:43 PM
Wow......I didn't think he was a type A. That would explain the lack of interest.

Bondomania
01-10-2009, 01:02 PM
The tigers would give up their second pick in the draft.. their first pick is protected because they are in the top 15

JackB
01-10-2009, 05:33 PM
Still a gamble. We missed out on Saito. Whos next to get signed by anybody but us?

Bondomania
01-11-2009, 02:45 AM
trade for Matt Capps? Gonzalas? i dunno.. i am out of trade candidates.. sign Lyon or Cruz.. use Fien, Perry, Dolsi, Rodney or someone else from within to close?? i dunno.. maybe DD just has a deep hatred for closers?

mark1125
01-11-2009, 06:23 PM
trade for Matt Capps? Gonzalas? i dunno.. i am out of trade candidates.. sign Lyon or Cruz.. use Fien, Perry, Dolsi, Rodney or someone else from within to close?? i dunno.. maybe DD just has a deep hatred for closers?

Or a raging bone for Rodney.

theoldgoalie
01-15-2009, 01:20 PM
Then let that closer be Lyons. He is solid enough for us and I wouldn't consider it much of a gamble. I would be inclined to signing Cordero if it were a good contract with plenty of incentives instead of guaranteed money. I still think we ought to play with what we've got and see how things develop, but if we felt we needed to spend more money, then Lyons would be they way to go at this time. I still can't believe we let Smoltz get away. he would have been the missing piece in the bullpen.

Lionsforlife
01-15-2009, 04:07 PM
Then let that closer be Lyons. He is solid enough for us and I wouldn't consider it much of a gamble. I would be inclined to signing Cordero if it were a good contract with plenty of incentives instead of guaranteed money. I still think we ought to play with what we've got and see how things develop, but if we felt we needed to spend more money, then Lyons would be they way to go at this time. I still can't believe we let Smoltz get away. he would have been the missing piece in the bullpen.

We didn't let Smoltz get away. He wanted to start somewhere. We wanted him to close.

Why do I have a feeling we are just waiting for all other candidates to be taken and then we will take the very last table scrap.

Bondomania
01-15-2009, 04:54 PM
It isn't that he is waiting. I will say this again, DD is doing the right thing, although we want that big name FA, such as Wood, K-Rod or Fuentes... the price for all those guys was not what DD wanted to spend, especially considering the last years draft we grabbed a ton of relief pitchers that could close this year, and worst case scenario is one of them is our closer next year. There is no purpose in spending 10+ mill. to get one of these guys and further kill our ability to be active next year in the FA market. With all the contracts coming off the books after this year, it will allow us to go after one of the top tier FA pitchers, or just FA's in general.

T.O. must go
01-15-2009, 07:33 PM
If the tigers got cordero and he and zumaya shared time closing, how does everyone think that could turn out?

Sheffies Chef
01-15-2009, 09:06 PM
well first, gotta get both of them healthy.

If both are healthy and productive. Zoom will work 8th and Cordero will work 9th. Zoom's proven to me he ain't ready, AIN'T READY, to close yet. not the right mentality.

mark1125
01-15-2009, 09:30 PM
I'm with Sheff on this. Zoom is not ready for a variety of reasons. Namely health and mindset. If he can overcome the first hurdle, lets see how he handles another full season handling the 8th.

Honestly, I haven't been impressed with Cordero when he was healthy. Now that he is iffy, I would almost rather stick with Rodney. I guess if he comes cheap, I would give him a shot.

At this point, there isn't too much available via FA to help. I really like Cruz, but am not sure if I want to kick up the pick and the cash for someone who hasn't closed. B. Lyon would be OK, but he is far from a sure thing.

If Miner can't crack the rotation, I wouldn't mind taking a shot with him as closer if/when Rodney gets hurt or flops.

One Nut Kruk
01-16-2009, 07:30 PM
I can't stand Cordero. I just don't want to look at that ugly idiot.

JackB
01-16-2009, 10:05 PM
He can have two heads as long as he can get OUTS !!!

Sam_Quentin
01-17-2009, 12:20 PM
If the tigers got cordero and he and zumaya shared time closing, how does everyone think that could turn out?

Zumaya cant close because the dude doesnt know how to control himself. Put him a high pressure 9th inning situations and he's just going to blow his arm out....I think its just time we as well as the front office forget about Zumaya. Act like he will give you nothing in the upcoming year...if he contributes in any fashion consider it a bonus.

Lionsforlife
01-17-2009, 04:49 PM
I think Zumaya's title of "closer of the future" is long gone. He will be an 8th inning set up man at best. "Closer of the future" now is going to Ryan Perry.

It sounds like they are in discussions for Lyon and are also closely monitoring Isringhausen and Cordero.

Out of those three I definitely hope they get Lyon.