PDA

View Full Version : General College Basketball Thread

WI Sports Fan
12-11-2008, 12:20 AM
There's a lot in college basketball to talk about, but not all of it is big enough for it's own thread. I figured I'd make a thread for those pieces of information.

Also, not everyone here has a big enough fan base on this forum for their own team thread, so people can post things about their team here and hopefully get to talk about it that way.

JHG722
12-12-2008, 10:27 PM
My Temple Owls take on #8 Tennessee, tomorrow at home. Should be...um...interesting. I'll be in the student section hopefully distracting Tennessee like I did Penn State. Go Owls!

WI Sports Fan
12-12-2008, 11:03 PM
My Temple Owls take on #8 Tennessee, tomorrow at home. Should be...um...interesting. I'll be in the student section hopefully distracting Tennessee like I did Penn State. Go Owls!

Christmas is due for a huge game. Hopefully he'll have one, because that's the only way I see Temple staying competitive. Then again, you guys did beat PSU with Christmas contributing little, but they're no Tennessee.

JHG722
12-12-2008, 11:14 PM
Christmas is due for a huge game. Hopefully he'll have one, because that's the only way I see Temple staying competitive. Then again, you guys did beat PSU with Christmas contributing little, but they're no Tennessee.

Christmas is gonna be double-teamed all game, unfortunately. We beat PSU, because the seven of us who drove to the game distracted the hell out of them, and made them cry. If we still had Tyndale, I'd truly feel like we could beat Tennessee. I dont think they're as great as their ranking/record indicates, however, it's obviously going to be tough. It's a shame our PG doesnt arrive until January :/

cardinals1226
12-12-2008, 11:46 PM
A great game tomorrow in Columbus when the baby Bulldogs go to Ohio State. Should be a hell of a good game and could get Butler into the top 25 with a win. The last time they played Butler beat Ohio State 65-46.

yboord028
12-13-2008, 02:32 AM
Siena Vs. Pittsburgh this Wednesday. Hopefully they can get a win against a non MAAC/Mid Major conference...

UAlbany lost against Lehigh by 1 and they got some votes in the Mid Major 25. So I guess they're not that bad :shrug:.

WI Sports Fan
12-13-2008, 03:03 AM
A great game tomorrow in Columbus when the baby Bulldogs go to Ohio State. Should be a hell of a good game and could get Butler into the top 25 with a win. The last time they played Butler beat Ohio State 65-46.

Both teams have changed quite a bit since last year. Most of OSU's extremely young roster has returned, matured, and improved a lot. Meanwhile, Butler lost all but a couple contributers from their '08 squad that was so good, including their great duo of guards. I like Matt Howard and Shelvin Mack as emerged as one of the most overlooked freshman, but I just don't see them running with the Buckeyes for the entire 40 minutes.

JHG722
12-13-2008, 12:01 PM
Temple v Tennessee on ESPN at Noon. Look for me in the student section :P

cardinals1226
12-13-2008, 12:53 PM
Both teams have changed quite a bit since last year. Most of OSU's extremely young roster has returned, matured, and improved a lot. Meanwhile, Butler lost all but a couple contributers from their '08 squad that was so good, including their great duo of guards. I like Matt Howard and Shelvin Mack as emerged as one of the most overlooked freshman, but I just don't see them running with the Buckeyes for the entire 40 minutes.

I think they will, they might loose, but it's not going to be a blowout like most Ohio State fans and "experts" are predicting. I think the spread is 15. This might sound homer-ish, but I think you also have to say Gordon Hayward when you mention overlooked freshman. He is playing a lot older than he is and with him, Mack, and Howard, I think today's game is going to be a lot closer than expected. Hopefully a big time win. :D I wish I had the Big Ten Network at school. :(

WI Sports Fan
12-13-2008, 04:49 PM
I think they will, they might loose, but it's not going to be a blowout like most Ohio State fans and "experts" are predicting. I think the spread is 15. This might sound homer-ish, but I think you also have to say Gordon Hayward when you mention overlooked freshman. He is playing a lot older than he is and with him, Mack, and Howard, I think today's game is going to be a lot closer than expected. Hopefully a big time win. :D I wish I had the Big Ten Network at school. :(

Well, they only lost by 3. It looked like OSU was really going to start to pull away in the second half, but Butler stayed strong and fought back into it in the last 10 minutes. Hayward was very impressive; nice combination of touch and height. I thought it was going to be a wide open Horizon this year, but Butler seems to be emerging as the easy favorite once again.

MoJay
12-13-2008, 05:04 PM
the buckeyes capped off a nice win v.s. Butler so hopefully we'll be in the teens in the poll and provide some more momentum

cardinals1226
12-13-2008, 05:21 PM
the buckeyes capped off a nice win v.s. Butler so hopefully we'll be in the teens in the poll and provide some more momentum

They are currently at 21 and I doubt barely winning at home to an unranked Butler makes them jump 2 spots to crack the teens. They really should have lost.

WI Sports Fan
12-13-2008, 05:45 PM
They really should have lost.

How do you figure?

cardinals1226
12-13-2008, 07:11 PM
How do you figure?

Because Butler is a much better team than they showed. Hayward, Howard, and Mack scored 49 of their 51 points. Had anyone else made a shot they would have been tied or had a lead. Butler also had a ton of turnovers, 19, and usually average 10-12 a game. Cut those in half and they have a 10+ point lead. Ohio State had the chance to pull way but didn't. Butler played very good defense for all their mistakes and barely lost. Should have been a win.

WI Sports Fan
12-13-2008, 07:37 PM
Because Butler is a much better team than they showed. Hayward, Howard, and Mack scored 49 of their 51 points. Had anyone else made a shot they would have been tied or had a lead. Butler also had a ton of turnovers, 19, and usually average 10-12 a game. Cut those in half and they have a 10+ point lead. Ohio State had the chance to pull way but didn't. Butler played very good defense for all their mistakes and barely lost. Should have been a win.

That's just a terrible argument. So Butler's very good defense is the reason why OSU struggled, but Butler's own struggles were only a result of their own play? Butler should've won because they played bad? How does that work? Not to mention you're using averages from games against teams that aren't nearly as good as OSU. The reason why Hayward, Howard and Mack were the only ones that scored is because they're basically the only ones good enough to play with anyone on the Buckeye roster. If you want to talk about what "should" happen, lets talk about OSU's free throw shooting. They shoot 72% on the year and shot 57% today. That's 4 points they really "should" have had, considering Butler has nothing to do with free throw shooting.

You act as if OSU played their best. As if they didn't turn it over 15 times themselves or shoot 28% from the arc or 40% from the field. Both teams played bad, and OSU's bad was better than Butler's. Saying Butler should have won when they were down almost all of the game, often by multiple possessions, and had to go on a pretty big run just to get it close again is ridiculous.

JHG722
12-20-2008, 06:23 PM
We lost to Kansas by 12 at their place, which is one of the toughest places to play. We played alright. Aldrich is somethin else...