PDA

View Full Version : McGrady And The Cavs?

phlp_bj
12-10-2008, 11:34 PM
A popular rumor-monger made some comments in a blog over the weekend that have a lot of people talking about the Cleveland Cavaliers and the Houston Rockets swapping guard Tracy McGrady for a package that includes guard Wally Szczerbiak.

Aside from responding to a few emails and questions in my Monday morning blog, I've chosen to let this one come and go. The Rockets have always been quick to chant their mantra - "We're not trading Tracy McGrady" - and there's not much reason to think they would change that tune now.

My thinking on this is changing a bit now, however. I have to give a shout out to the guys at 790 AM "The Sports Animal" in Houston, a show I am on somewhat regularly. They brought to my attention that the Rockets have had McGrady get multiple opinions from respected orthodpedic surgeons regarding his ankle, and the answer has always been that he needs to play on the ankle for it to get better.

Here's what happens, in case you're fortunate enough to not understand what's up with this kind of injury. A surgeon can repair structural damage, but there is still the issue of scar tissue that builds up to help the healing process along. Once you start rehab you have to break up that scar tissue, and the only way to do that is to work the soft tissue around the injury. It hurts. There are pops and pains. It's not pleasant. But at the end of the day, the only way to heal is to clench your teeth, maybe get a cortisone shot, and just grit it out.

Playing through pain has never been McGrady's strong suit, and the basis of this new trade rumor is that he might do better in a situation where he's shouldering less of the load - like playing alongside LeBron James in Cleveland.

There has been plenty of talk about the Cavs shopping Wally Z's ending contract, and if the Rockets feel they can't get 100% from McGrady perhaps they'll want to cut their losses - especially with the news that Ron Artest has torn ligaments in his ankle and may need to miss more games. Honestly, though, I wouldn't mess with what the Cavs have going on. I understand the thinking that another All-Star helps them compete with Boston, but an argument can be made that they're as good as Boston right now.

Is it possible the Cavs and Rockets have had a conversation? Sure. Do I see a trade happening? Don't hold your breath. I can't imagine Cleveland wanting to introduce the McGrady health drama into their locker room.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=10889

Beno7500
12-10-2008, 11:36 PM
Cavs would be #1

td0tsfinest
12-10-2008, 11:36 PM
Wasn't Houston considered a title contender coming into the season. Are the folding this early already?

astrosmaniac
12-10-2008, 11:41 PM
the rockets wont trade mcgrady for wally. even with his health issuse, mcgrady is worth more, and is an expiring next year and they could get more value next year in a trade, or let him expire for 2010 FA cap

infamous
12-10-2008, 11:47 PM
No way the rockets will trade McGrady. If they do, there are a lot of teams out there who can offer a better package.

tim
12-10-2008, 11:55 PM
No way the rockets will trade McGrady. If they do, there are a lot of teams out there who can offer a better package.

McGrady & Scola for Odom & Sasha

:D:D

i wish..

Lakers4ItAll
12-10-2008, 11:57 PM
Fcuk That! I want nothing to do with TMac

McGrady & Scola for Odom & Sasha

:D:D

i wish..

Kiss Ma Grits
12-11-2008, 12:01 AM
Trading Wally for TMac would be the type of mistake that could one day cost Ferry his job. As a Cav fan I would be livid if we traded Wally for TMac. We're doing good WITHOUT TMac so we should just let Wally's contract expire and focus our energy on signing Anderson Verajao this summer and staying financially flexible for 2010.

rhino17
12-11-2008, 12:07 AM
1) This guy is a moron, to even consider a trade involving Wally for tmac is idiotic

2) If he is a regular on 790am, he loses even more credibility because that is far and away the worst of the 4 Houston sports radio stations. They always make up crap to try and get listeners, but they just suck

superkegger
12-11-2008, 12:53 AM
So, I don't get why this would help anyone. If Tmac can't "fight through the pain" to get better, its not going to make a difference where he is. And I'm pretty sure if the rockets decided to trade Tmac they could get something better than ****ing wally ****ing szczerbiak. Why is every rumor I hear about the cavs revolving around Wally? Nobody is giving up any kind of real talent for wally. Get real.

nygiants242
12-11-2008, 12:54 AM
If he stayed healthy, the Cavs would be lethal

LeBrowns
12-11-2008, 01:19 AM
So, I don't get why this would help anyone. If Tmac can't "fight through the pain" to get better, its not going to make a difference where he is. And I'm pretty sure if the rockets decided to trade Tmac they could get something better than ****ing wally ****ing szczerbiak. Why is every rumor I hear about the cavs revolving around Wally? Nobody is giving up any kind of real talent for wally. Get real.

Because he has a 13 million dollar expiring contract....Coming from a Laker fan you should be aware of this since you got Pau Gasol for piece of trash Kwame Brown

IndiansFan337
12-11-2008, 01:23 AM
I don't think he's the type of piece that the Cavs are looking to place next to LeBron.

He doesn't shoot a high percentage anymore, due to the degree of difficulty on the shots that he takes.

That wouldn't fit in Cleveland's offense. And he wouldn't fit their defensive mold either.

superkegger
12-11-2008, 01:26 AM
Because he has a 13 million dollar expiring contract....Coming from a Laker fan you should be aware of this since you got Pau Gasol for piece of trash Kwame Brown

Yeah, Memphis is looking to rebuild, Houston is looking to contend. If you don't understand that difference...

AFlagRules
12-11-2008, 01:45 AM

Wally=Expiring=HUGE asset..

MagicBucsSox
12-11-2008, 01:48 AM
tmac would just be hurt and lebron be one less body down

superkegger
12-11-2008, 01:49 AM

a big expiring isnt an asset for a team thats trying to contend. Its a huge asset if they already had wally and could pick up talent by trading him, but by trading a guy who actually has talent in tmac for nothing but an expring in wally, they lose terribly.

Lebron23
12-11-2008, 02:39 AM
Cavs should try to get Jamal Crawford or Gerald Wallace because they are younger, and less injury prone than Tracy Mcgrady.

rhino17
12-11-2008, 02:43 AM
although this is totally ridiculous, tmac would be a great fit with lebron imo. It is the exact type of role tmac wants to play at this point in his career. He wouldnt be the #1 guy, he could get a ton of assists to a guy like LeBron, and he has been shooting great from 3 this season

Mallpha
12-11-2008, 03:11 AM
This idea aint so bad Rockets got Artest, Battier and T-Mac and its not always the biggest name that stays. Szczerbiak is no where close to Tmac even with all his injuries but add some draft picks and that trade would be pretty fair.

The reasons why i cant see it happend is 1 why should Cavs mess with a great working machine 2 that trade at this time would be a step back for Rockets in matters of current season.

Astros BLT
12-11-2008, 03:23 AM
Its almost laughable to see Wally as the guy in return that the Rockets would get. I dont think Tmacs value has fallen down to the point of acquiring Wally... Tmacs injuries obviously set him back but his career is not over yet. Is it fair to say hes on a decline, I think so but to deplete his value that much is wrong. If the Rockets were to move Mac then I could see them getting a far better package, but I dont think the Rockets would think about trading him this year. Maybe next year before he becomes a Free Agent so they can get someone in return if the right deal comes along, but not this year. They havent really had a fair chance to even test the big three for a long period of time. Plus the whole Tmac, Yao, Artest, and Battier thing hasnt even been tested yet. Rockets are not falling apart, I still think its fair to wait and see what this team can turn into...

Lakersfan2483
12-11-2008, 03:34 AM
If the Cavs acquired T-Mac (which I don't see happening), the rest of the league would be in some serious trouble!!

superkegger
12-11-2008, 04:05 AM
If the Cavs acquired T-Mac (which I don't see happening), the rest of the league would be in some serious trouble!!

probably not. Tmac would probably just bring the cavs to his usual first round exit.

:hide:

Lebron23
12-11-2008, 04:12 AM
probably not. Tmac would probably just bring the cavs to his usual first round exit.

:hide:

Same as Pau Gasol, when he's playing with the Vancouver/Memphis Grizzlies, he also failed to led his team in the 2nd round of the playoffs.

If Mcgrady was traded to the Cavs, he will only play limited minutes on the floor because he's no longer the no.1 option of his team

But the only reason that i don't want him on the Cavs is because of his health.

Cavs should use the expiring contract of Wally if they wanted to acquire a younger SG.

superkegger
12-11-2008, 04:16 AM
Same as Pau Gasol, when he's playing with the Grizzlies, he also failed to led his team in the 2nd round of the playoffs.

If Mcgrady was traded to the Cavs, he will only play limited minutes on the floor because he's no longer the no.1 option of his team

But the only reason that i don't want him on the Cavs is because of his health.

You clearly can't understand a joke, and all you can do is find one way or another to hate on the Lakers. I mean thats cool, I'm sure you have a lot of fun with that. But really, it gets old pretty quickly especially when it has nothing to do with anything being discussed in the thread.

Lebron23
12-11-2008, 04:21 AM
I am just saying that Mcgrady will be effective, if he's going to be the 2nd or 3rd scoring option of the Cleveland Cavaliers.

Pau Gasol was a former NBA franchise player, but like Mcgrady he didn't have any success in the playoffs before he got traded to the Los Angeles Lakers.

I am not hating on the Lakers because a Kobe vs. LeBron Finals will be the best rivalry in the history of the NBA. ( ala Magic Johnson vs. Michael Jordan, Russell vs. Chamberlain, Magic vs. Bird, Shaq vs. Hakeem, Hakeem vs. Ewing).

infamous
12-11-2008, 09:02 AM
You clearly can't understand a joke, and all you can do is find one way or another to hate on the Lakers. I mean thats cool, I'm sure you have a lot of fun with that. But really, it gets old pretty quickly especially when it has nothing to do with anything being discussed in the thread.

I think he was just referring that like Gasol when he was in Memphis they cannot win in the Playoffs (cannot carry a team as the number 1 option), until he got traded to a winning team (Lakers). And like him maybe McGrady just needs a change of scenery. But I highly doubt that Houston will trade him at all, especially to the Cavs.

HiphopRelated
12-11-2008, 10:39 AM
lol, better package??

TMac's package is an expiring and a young prospect.

A team shouldn't be giving up much for TMac

fredv
12-11-2008, 12:37 PM
HAHHhaha All Time All star for a White Rusian Wathever his face is! Please! Never going to happen!

amwpr86
12-11-2008, 02:40 PM
Thats why I think if the Cavs really wanted him they would throw in Hickson, Jackson, or a pick along with snow's salary to balance out the contracts. Thats fair. McGrady never made it out the first round and would be less injury prone playing in the Cavs offense. Plus, he is hurt right now. Don't get me wrong the Rockets shouldn't trade him unless they feel they are out of the championship race. But, they are a good team still w/o Mcgrady.

infamous
12-11-2008, 02:57 PM
lol, better package??

TMac's package is an expiring and a young prospect.

A team shouldn't be giving up much for TMac

Yes, some teams can offer a better package than Wally + someone in the cavs lineup. Lets see: Heat-Marion, Lakers-Odom, Mavs-Howard, Detroit could offer Prince or Hamilton, etc. You are talking about an expiring and a possible prospect so you should know. Do you really think if the Rockets are interested in trading McGrady that they would go for the Cavs wally+fillers? Not possible.

amwpr86
12-11-2008, 04:15 PM
Yes, some teams can offer a better package than Wally + someone in the cavs lineup. Lets see: Heat-Marion, Lakers-Odom, Mavs-Howard, Detroit could offer Prince or Hamilton, etc. You are talking about an expiring and a possible prospect so you should know. Do you really think if the Rockets are interested in trading McGrady that they would go for the Cavs wally+fillers? Not possible.

Those are all really good deals, but the only reason I think Wally is the best package is because its a lot easier to let him go after that year then those other players. I do not think any of the players you listed would stay with the rockets after that year. Plus, if they did trade t-mac then they have to feel they are out of the championship race. And Hickson and Jackson are not fillers IMO. They are some pretty solid prospects.

phila_gorilla
12-11-2008, 04:37 PM
Wow it's still so early in the season and the Rockets are already talking about trading McGrady after coming into the season as potential contenders?

JordansBulls
12-11-2008, 06:00 PM
I don't think the Rockets are this crazy.

Sox Appeal
12-11-2008, 10:16 PM

Wally's expiring would be a HUGE asset for a team that's either looking to rebuild, or make some type of move in free agency. But as far as I know, the Rockets aren't trying to do either of those things. They have a solid 'big 3' in McGrady - Artest - Yao, they also have some solid bench depth, and all of that mean's you could be looking at a potential contender. But with this team, it's obviously all about the health.

superkegger
12-11-2008, 10:23 PM
Those are all really good deals, but the only reason I think Wally is the best package is because its a lot easier to let him go after that year then those other players. I do not think any of the players you listed would stay with the rockets after that year. Plus, if they did trade t-mac then they have to feel they are out of the championship race. And Hickson and Jackson are not fillers IMO. They are some pretty solid prospects.

The Rockets don't need "solid prospects" right now. They're in win now mode. Not hopefully we can compete in a few years mode.

I don't think the Rockets are this crazy.

thats because they're not.

Wow it's still so early in the season and the Rockets are already talking about trading McGrady after coming into the season as potential contenders?

The Rockets aren't talking it, foolish fans and writers trying to sell are saying this.

Wally's expiring would be a HUGE asset for a team that's either looking to rebuild, or make some type of move in free agency. But as far as I know, the Rockets aren't trying to do either of those things. They have a solid 'big 3' in McGrady - Artest - Yao, they also have some solid bench depth, and all of that mean's you could be looking at a potential contender. But with this team, it's obviously all about the health.

Yeah, its not happening, not for wally.

{}
12-12-2008, 05:05 AM

...and Tmac has a 23 million dollar expiring contract after this season.

amwpr86
12-12-2008, 09:28 AM
The Rockets don't need "solid prospects" right now. They're in win now mode. Not hopefully we can compete in a few years mode.

I wasn't trying to say they needed them. I was merely speaking on the worth of the Cavs rookies. Until I hear that the Rockets said it themselves I won't believe they are going to traded anybody. I am completely aware that this is only a rumor.

PippensBulls
12-12-2008, 11:39 AM
This is just a crazy idea. I'm not even falling for it.